As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest 9 Meetup **UPDATED INFO** PLEASE READ!

• Dr TobogganDr Toboggan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey dudes and dudettes, my first post here at the PAX forums even though I went to PAX East last year and got my tix several months ago for this year.

Unfortunately with the non DQ9-ing crew that I'll be traveling with and my personal schedule for the weekend, I won't be able to make these meetups, but I plan on having my DS on tag mode all weekend, hoping to canvass for many inns and maps.

I've only been playing about 5-6 hrs so far, so I actually don't have any maps to give yet, but I plan on putting some serious face time in with the game over the next week to make sure I have at least ONE map to share when I get to Boston!

Dr Toboggan on
  • Tempest_BetaTempest_Beta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll be in tag mode while walking around too, as I'm sure many of us will. Hope we get each other!

Tempest_Beta on
  • creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Probably would be helpful to point out in the OP, for first time taggers, that you can only tag 3 people before you have to stop and start again.

creid8 on
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    creid8 wrote: »
    Probably would be helpful to point out in the OP, for first time taggers, that you can only tag 3 people before you have to stop and start again.

See, I didn't even know that. I'll add it to the OP. Thanks!

Trion on
  • Prototype AxlPrototype Axl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I also believe that you need to talk to the new tags in the waiting room before you can tag again. It's been a few months since I last tagged, but I seem to remember the talking part.

Prototype Axl on
  • Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ello

Made an account so I could post here!

I have a 3-day ticket and will be there the whole time but have not yet settled exactly on what panels I want to visit. There's a LOT on Friday about working in the game industry that I want to check out..

Anyway, my character's name is Brew and here's the maps that I have available to share:

Orgodemir's Map Lv 1
    Baramos' Map Lv 1
    Malroth's Map Lv 1
    Murdaw's Map Lv 99

Granite Mine of Dolour Lv 16
    Ruins, Nemean

Bronze Mine of Doubt Lv 20
    Caves, Shogum

Silver Snowhall of Doubt Lv 44
    Ice, Trauminator

Graphite Path of Fear Lv 48
    Ruins,Sir Sanguinus

Bronze Crypt of Fear Lv 58
    Ruins

Emerald Snowhall of Hurt Lv 64
    Ice, B13 is Gemslimes

Platinum Mine of Fear Lv 68
    Ruins, Hammibal

Steel World of Gloom Lv 70
    Caves, Excalipurr

Platinum Chasm of Regret Lv 75
    Water, Atlas

Steel Maze of Dolour Lv 77
    Ruins, Sir Sanguinus, Three Rank A chests

Bronze Crypt of Hurt Lv 77
    Caves, B9 is KMS-Only

Steel Abyss of Gloom Lv 80
    Caves, Fowleye

Silver Maze of Doom Lv 87
    Ruins, Greygnarl

Platinum World of Death Lv 91
    Fire, Tantamount & KMS in the top floors, two Rank S chests

See you there!

Brew78 on
  • WizardWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I also believe that you need to talk to the new tags in the waiting room before you can tag again. It's been a few months since I last tagged, but I seem to remember the talking part.

Wow, completely slipped my mind. Good call.

And to clarify, you need to change zones before you can tag again. I personally recommend talking to the other guests to get their maps, but you could just leave the inn and head back in to start tagging again.

(Worth mentioning though.)

Wizard on
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wizard wrote: »

Wow, completely slipped my mind. Good call.

And to clarify, you need to change zones before you can tag again. I personally recommend talking to the other guests to get their maps, but you could just leave the inn and head back in to start tagging again.

(Worth mentioning though.)

If I don't get the maps from them right away do I lose them? or will they always be there for me?

lillb on
    edited March 2011
    I think the character will always have the map he came in with, but Wizard is the brains behind this outfit. I'm sure he can explain better.

Anyway, I've updated the OP with Brew and a little more info on tag mode. If I need to adjust anything, let me know.

Trion on
  • Prototype AxlPrototype Axl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lillb wrote: »
    If I don't get the maps from them right away do I lose them? or will they always be there for me?

Once the New Visitor introduces themselves, that is when you get a Treasure Map if the Visitor is carrying one. If not, they will just introduce themselves. I don't believe the Map would disappear if you don't talk to them right away.

Prototype Axl on
    edited March 2011
    The guest will always have the map even if you don't talk to them immediately. The only reason why I make the suggestion to talk to them sooner rather than later is that the inn has a maximum capacity of 30 guests.

Once you exceed 30, the oldest guest gets kicked out automatically. I've been to tag events where people have missed maps simply because there was such a high volume of tags that they missed the guest before he or she was replaced with another.

The purpose of the VIP suites is to lock up to 6 of your guests into your inn so that they cannot be kicked out.

Wizard on
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah ok I get it now.
    How many maximum maps can you hold? I may delete crappy ones if theres a limit I'll probably reach.

lillb on
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    70+ or so? I'd recommend people not sharing the starter map, even if that's the only one you have...

psychopez on
    “Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
    edited March 2011
    You can hold 99 maps at a time.

I recommend holding onto your copy of Granite Tunnel of Woe 1. Sometimes, you want a low level map, after all. (But as I said earlier, please don't share it unless asked.)

Wizard on
  • Dr TobogganDr Toboggan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So it looks like my plan will be to open up the game every couple hours, hop back into the inn to collect as many maps as I can, and then go back to canvassing? Would that work?

I'm also going to go through the Granite Tunnel of Woe tonight to actually get a map that everyone else doesn't already have that's actually worth sharing!

Dr Toboggan on
  • Squill2k4Squill2k4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to continue trying to get through this one treasure map I have so I can open up more before PAX, the boss is such a pain in the ass!

Squill2k4 on
    edited March 2011
    So it looks like my plan will be to open up the game every couple hours, hop back into the inn to collect as many maps as I can, and then go back to canvassing? Would that work?
    Yes, that's probably the best thing to do. If you want to maximize your tags though, you might want to check more often (depending on how popular DQIX tagging is.)

creid8 on
    edited March 2011
    Damn, I just remembered that DQ IV and V had tag modes too. Anyone interested in trading pioneers and knick-knacks while we're at it?

creid8 on
    edited March 2011
    Oh yeah, identification...

Well, I'm just over 6', dark hair, beard, glasses, and will be wearing this sweater: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/hoodies/79e3/

If its warm enough to take off, I'll be wearing the "Everybody Loves a Player" T-shirt, at least on Friday. Another day will probably be green Pitfall, and the last I guess black 8-bit Ghosts (Pac Man)

I will likely spend some time in the Classic Console area trying to score some Super Mario Kart matches.

Brew78 on
    edited March 2011
    Damn, I just remembered that DQ IV and V had tag modes too. Anyone interested in trading pioneers and knick-knacks while we're at it?

VI does as well.

I figure that if anyone wants to tag one of the non-9 DQs, they can just ask at the meet-up.

Wizard on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm interested in showing up for tagfests, but I don't have maps to share, as I've only just finished
    Brigadoom

antherem on
  • mintypixelmintypixel Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    ^

I'm not that far in either. I would love "Masayuki" map for use at a later time. Are you guys going to have tag mode on throughout the event? Because if so, that'd be awesome.

mintypixel on
  • DragonistaDragonista Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    The DQ meetup brought me out of lurking to register! I have a 3-day pass, so I'll try to show up each day to spread tags to people. Would be nice to get one of the locker maps, and any legacy bosses I'm missing.

Hero: Nista
    Class: Gladiator

Maps to share:
    Estark lvl1
    Malroth lvl1
    Mortamor lvl1
    Baramos lvl1
    Zoma lvl2

Emerald Maze of Doom lvl 90 (greygnarl)
    Sapphire Void of Hurt lvl 89
    Silver Ruins of Gloom lvl 83
    Emerald Lair of Hurt lvl 82
    Steel Path of Bane lvl 69 (all LMS floor)

Dragonista on
    edited March 2011
    Updated.

I'm in middle of getting prepared for PAX. See you all tomorrow!

Trion on
    edited March 2011
    Day one went really well! I hope to see you guys tomorrow, along with all our new faces.

Trion on
    edited March 2011
    Hell yeah! Good seeing you guys. We should get some Grotto runs going tomorrow.

Tempest_Beta on
    edited March 2011
    I'll have more time to tag tomorrow, so sure.

Wizard on
  • StaplerStapler Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Will definitely drop by tomorrow if someone's giving out an all-Gem Slime map, though I'll be too busy playing Magic to stay.

Character Name: Jesus
    Maps: Masayuki, Kawasaki, Silver Marsh of Bane.

edit: goes for Sunday too, since I apparently missed getting one. Anyone who has one and goes into tag mode in line for the concert tonight will be my favorite person of all time, too.

Stapler on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why wont it let me bring a map? I have so many now.

antherem on
    edited March 2011
    antherem wrote: »
    Why wont it let me bring a map? I have so many now.

You need to have beaten the boss of that map before you can take it with you. I wouldn't worry about it for purposes of the meetup though. There's plenty to go around.

Trion on
    edited March 2011
    I have a Martial Artist at LV99 and about 90 maps but none of them have any metal kings. How does map sharing work? Do you lose the map if you post it or is it just duplicated for everybody in the tag mode? I do have a Sapphire World of Doom LV99 that I have completed. My Hero is Todd. Looking forward to this!

Ha, I was just looking up some of the maps I've picked up while waiting for the music panel to start (frontalot just walked in), and this page was google's first hit :)

Deleted LOTS of granite tunnels of woe..

Brew78 on
    edited March 2011
    I want to thank each and every one of you guys for showing up to this. I never expected this plan of ours to work out so well and I was glad to get the chance to meet all of you in person.

Cheers!

Trion on
    edited March 2011
    Had a good time on friday! Sorry I couldn't make it Saturday and Sunday- Unexpected scheduling conflict. I was in tag mode all day every day though, and got just under 100 tags.

Tempest_Beta on
    edited March 2011
    It was awesome tagging all of you, and I'm glad to have met all of you. Hope you all got awesome maps and have fun with them!

Also, I'd like to thank Trion for his organization of this event and for the twitter feed. You did a fantastic job man. Thank you!

Wizard on
  • Sairys wyvernscaleSairys wyvernscale Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Wizard wrote: »
    It was awesome tagging all of you, and I'm glad to have met all of you. Hope you all got awesome maps and have fun with them!

Also, I'd like to thank Trion for his organization of this event and for the twitter feed. You did a fantastic job man. Thank you!

I second that! Thank you Trion for getting all in one spot! Good to meet some fellow questers and all you were super nice too boot. Got my Inn all maxed out and more than enough maps to to keep me busy for a while. Twas a Good first PAX for me overall!

Oh and a VERY BIG thanks to everyone for sharing maps and participating!

Sairys wyvernscale on
  • cabbie98cabbie98 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would like to add my thanks to Trion for setting all of this up.

I was able to get a lot of tags just walking around the convention center but it was really fun to see and talk to all of the other DQ9 fans.

Also thanks to Wizard for the gem slime map. I was able to get two million plus gold just waiting in queue lines. Much quicker than the gold armor trick.

cabbie98 on
    WiiU: cabbie98
    3DS FC: 4382-1976-1645
    Pin Pals Digital Lanyard
    edited March 2011
    I was genuinely glad to do it. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to meet you guys!

Trion on
  • DragonistaDragonista Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    A big thanks to Trion for setting this up, and everyone for meeting up and sharing maps. This was one of my favorite events of PAX, and it was fun finally meeting other people who play DQ9.

Special thanks to Sam and Freya for being patient and handing out all the crazy legacy boss maps.

Dragonista on
    edited March 2011
    cabbie98 wrote: »
    Also thanks to Wizard for the gem slime map. I was able to get two million plus gold just waiting in queue lines. Much quicker than the gold armor trick.

Ha, no problem! Glad you're amassing plenty of money!

Dragonista wrote: »
    Special thanks to Sam and Freya for being patient and handing out all the crazy legacy boss maps.

>_> Good luck!

Wizard on
  • ZypharonZypharon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the tags, everyone. It was nice meeting all of you and trading maps. Meetup chances are rare so it's definitely fun when we do get people together.

For the players in the New England area, we do have a Facebook group. We've done several meetups and they were very good times.

Zypharon on