As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyber/Bio punk

2»

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Iron Man: Hypervelocity

Anyway, there's a bunch more stuff out there like Hypervelocity that is extremely cyberpunk but no longer labeled as such, and I'll tell you about it as soon as I remember the names....

Thanks. I've been uncovering more movies that are cyberpunk that aren't listed on any of the cyberpunk websites/wiki's or w/e that you get from a google search. Hopefully I can find some more graphic novels the same way.

ninjai on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One of the big problems with cyberpunk is that the villains of the dystopian future that more or less HAS come about is most openly run by aging good ol' boys in polos instead of slick business folk in snappy suits with latex-coated pet assassins. A large party of the cyberpunk future came to pass, but in an incredibly mundane, chicken-fried way, killing much of the sex appeal. Our skill at miniaturization and going wireless doesn't help, as so much of the sexy tech of the future ended up being nearly invisible - and usually very box-shaped.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wouldn't high end future sci-fi eventually become cyberpunk as our technology increases?

Like, for the 20's and 30's , Cars were the insane future steampunk, in the 70's computer tech and crazy early robotics combined with scavenger tech. give it another 20 years and who knows, maybe Teleporters, Light speed , and Replication will all be considered old and cyberpunk.

Maybe Star Trek is secretly cyberpunk from the future!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cyberpunk is both a setting and a theme. There is nothing cyberpunk about Star Trek.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    @ WMT Punk is the operative word in cyberpunk

@ Incenjucar, You could look at cyberpunk through the miocpic, infant stage perspective of the 80's where Bill Gates said you'll never need a hard drive larger than a MB, or you can look at the evolved mindset of cyberpunk.

The fact remains that a true artificial sentience has not been created, robotics so seemless that they could be mistaken for humans have not been created, cybrnetic appendages that ENHANCE the human body or jacks that input you into a VR have not been created.

Cyberpunk ideologies of the 80's? Sure. Maybe not the replicants other various tech, but the ideologies sure. Current cyberpunk ideologies such as transhumanism? Not even close.

ninjai on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Star Trek is really wierd. It is essentially a cross between space opera (humans are still humans) placed in a world of transhuman utopia like you might see in the culture. No crime, no poverty, no money, make what you want when it is needed.

But anyway I think that sci-fi with the theme of cyberpunk has died away because it rails against something which is no longer there or at least not in an obvious manner.

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not a comic but a novel, I know, but have you read Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams, ninjai? It's one of my favourites.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey WC, yes I've read that. Great book. Its on my shelf next to the neuromancer trilogy and isaac asimov... who isn't necessarily cyberpunk, but is awesome.

ninjai on