As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gumbyx84 wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    DanUNG wrote: »
    DS found. My sister stole it to play Sonic Advance 2. I don't blame her.

Anyways, if/when you get back redfield, I can get you that Aggron.

Apparently karma is a dick. I posted that and then went to Gamestop. Got my first Celebi. Turned off my DS, put in DP and it twice froze as the DS start-up screen. :-\

I am so fuckng paranoid now. My other DS, one I got not too far after launch, did this same thing. It kept freezing at start-up and now sits doing nothing but being broke. Thank God the one I have now only froze twice and then worked the third time.

Any suggestions on maybe cleaning the DS? I am pretty pissed at this. I almost want to buy a DSiXL before I go to PAX just to be sure I can play.
    Does it freeze when you turn it on (at the DS menu screen) or when the game boots? If it happens when the game boots, the contacts on your cart may be dirty or wiggling around in the slot.

It is the DS load screen. Like, the very first thing you see. The DS logo, the little screens moving all over in the background. It would happen like right after it makes the start-up noise.

Hopefully my current DSlite survives until at least after PAX. If not, maybe I will buy one in Boston. Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm totally in for this...though what level will all the gym leaders be at? I'm still not done the game...I just got to Kanto and all my Pokemon are at around lvl 50

Kiss Me GoodBye on
    SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm totally in for this...though what level will all the gym leaders be at? I'm still not done the game...I just got to Kanto and all my Pokemon are at around lvl 50

Fantastic! Glad to have you aboard, trainer!

Nothing to worry about, then. We'll be doing flat 50 battles, which means all pokemon above level 50 are scaled down to 50. Just make sure your pokemon are level 50 or above, and you'll be ready to challenge the league!

Also: YES ELITE FOUR. Heck, I didn't even know about most of them... so shadowy. So mysterious.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    Ok, I am at the end of SS and can't get by all those dragonites. Suggestions? I run through the elite four using ampharos, lugia, and typhlosion.

Ice types!

More specifically, ice moves! Ice beam works wonders. Nidoking is a Lance killer, I decided. Make it learn thunderbolt and ice beam and it'll sweep the dragon master.
    Ah Nindoking, I miss you so. Haven't used one since FR. That will probably change in BW though.

One question: Doesn't NidoKing's low Special Attack make it a bad match against Dragonite? Thunderbolt and Ice Beam won't be hitting for much especially with Dragonite's high Special Defense?

Mine has Avalanche, which works wonders with its great ATK and mediocre Speed. And its Special Attack isn't too terrible anyway.

Regiment on
    I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Elite Four = BEATEN!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stuff!

eBigShoes.pngeEvan.pngeMitchell.pngeShane.png

Here, ladies and gentlemen, are your Elite Four! They may be challenged in any order, and more info are available on the leader page.

We also have meetup times!

Friday: 4 PM, Handheld Lounge
    Saturday: 1:30 PM, Handheld Lounge (in association with the Pokewalker Brigade!)
    Saturday: 5:00 PM, Handheld Lounge
    Sunday: CHAMPION'S SHOWCASE: 6:00 PM, Westin Waterfront Lobby!

Bumping for top of page. Congrats, red. :)

Heleor on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Apparently karma is a dick. I posted that and then went to Gamestop. Got my first Celebi. Turned off my DS, put in DP and it twice froze as the DS start-up screen. :-\

I am so fuckng paranoid now. My other DS, one I got not too far after launch, did this same thing. It kept freezing at start-up and now sits doing nothing but being broke. Thank God the one I have now only froze twice and then worked the third time.

Any suggestions on maybe cleaning the DS? I am pretty pissed at this. I almost want to buy a DSiXL before I go to PAX just to be sure I can play.
    Does it freeze when you turn it on (at the DS menu screen) or when the game boots? If it happens when the game boots, the contacts on your cart may be dirty or wiggling around in the slot.

It is the DS load screen. Like, the very first thing you see. The DS logo, the little screens moving all over in the background. It would happen like right after it makes the start-up noise.

Hopefully my current DSlite survives until at least after PAX. If not, maybe I will buy one in Boston. Ha.

Ahh reminds me of the good ol' days when all you had to do was bump your Yellow while it was in the SP (in the middle of a heated battle with the E4) and it would shut off the game. You sigh with annoyance, restarting it only to find out there is no "continue" option. FML.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

Fantastic! Glad to have you aboard, trainer!

Nothing to worry about, then. We'll be doing flat 50 battles, which means all pokemon above level 50 are scaled down to 50. Just make sure your pokemon are level 50 or above, and you'll be ready to challenge the league!

Also: YES ELITE FOUR. Heck, I didn't even know about most of them... so shadowy. So mysterious.

yeeessss!! thanks!

Kiss Me GoodBye on
    SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Ahh reminds me of the good ol' days when all you had to do was bump your Yellow while it was in the SP (in the middle of a heated battle with the E4) and it would shut off the game. You sigh with annoyance, restarting it only to find out there is no "continue" option. FML.

Are you serious? I would jump off a damn bridge. I feel bad for you. Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

If that happens without a game in the DS, its definitely on the way out. It wouldn't happen to be under warranty anymore would it? No reason to buy a new one if you can get a free replacement. If you do end up needing to get a new one while at PAX, there is a EB Games/Gamestop about 10+ minutes (on foot) from the BECE. Would be happy to direct you as a friend of mine works in that store (last time i checked anyway).

PS Personally, I would try and hold out a few more weeks and just get a 3DS if you have the funds. Trade in your Lite (if its not completely dead) and you'll get $50 for it. I might be doing this myself if I like what I see at PAX.

Gumbyx84 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

If that happens without a game in the DS, its definitely on the way out. It wouldn't happen to be under warranty anymore would it? No reason to buy a new one if you can get a free replacement. If you do end up needing to get a new one while at PAX, there is a EB Games/Gamestop about 10+ minutes (on foot) from the BECE. Would be happy to direct you as a friend of mine works in that store (last time i checked anyway).

PS Personally, I would try and hold out a few more weeks and just get a 3DS if you have the funds. Trade in your Lite (if its not completely dead) and you'll get $50 for it. I might be doing this myself if I like what I see at PAX.

Is there a warranty automatically when you buy the DS? Like, with Nintendo?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Awesome, Elite Four!

Hooboy. I read their bios and I think I will need some more practice with Poetic :)

FoggyKnight on
  • Options
    BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah Ha! Now that the Elite 4, including myself, have been revealed I can reveal the Launch Emblem!

Ohlook.jpg

Bring it on all you so-called "trainers"!
    Oh jeez I hope I can actually stay in character during battles. I'm just going to be so happy to be meeting everyone. It will be hard to play the villain! D:

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
  • Options
    Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

If you don't want to walk the whole way: Walk to World Trade Center station, Silver line to South, Red line to Park. Walk down the street to EB or Gamestop (they right next to each other). Then reverse.
    (Park St is closer to it that Downtown Crossing. By about 20 ft)

Fetch26291 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Is there a warranty automatically when you buy the DS? Like, with Nintendo?
    Nintendo gives you a 1 year warranty out of the box. You get a extra 90 days if you register it with Nintendo through Club Nintendo. I think it takes a month or so to get your replacement console. The replacement is covered by a year warranty so if you run into problems again, just call it in. If the warranty is expired, you could still get it repaired by Nintendo. Not sure how much it would cost, but it would probably be less than getting a new DS/DSi/3DS.
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    If you don't want to walk the whole way: Walk to World Trade Center station, Silver line to South, Red line to Park. Walk down the street to EB or Gamestop (they right next to each other). Then reverse.
    (Park St is closer to it that Downtown Crossing. By about 20 ft)
    While you can take the T to Downtown, its far easier to walk if the weather is good and you know how to get there. A 10-20 minute walk can turn into a 40+ minute T ride if you miss the T or its running late. Regrettably I know this first hand. Also, there is only one EB/Gamestop in Downtown crossing as EB and Gamestop are the same company now. I still call them EB out of habit as I worked for EB back in the day. The store next to EB/Gamestop is CEX.

Now that I think about it, you could buy a DS at CEX. It might be cheaper their than at EB.

PS When you cal in the warranty, you can ask them to ship you the replacement console first. When you receive the replacement, you send in your busted DS. To make sure they get the busted system back, they will take down your credit card number and charge you the full replacement cost (it was ~$120 when I did this) if they don't get it back within 30 days.

Gumbyx84 on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    On the warranty thing - I can tell you if it's out of warranty a repair is generally $75 plus $10 shipping. I'm crossing my fingers that mine lasts through pax too.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes it can be easier and faster to walk to Downtown. Just giving the directions for the T in case it's bad weather. March in Boston. Can be sunny one hour, raining the next, then snowing the next. And any of those with bitterly cold wind.)

(That's why I'm glad the other big con I go to in Boston, AB, is usually in late April. Then, you only have to deal with rain and/or wind. ^_^)

Fetch26291 on
  • Options
    GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    eShane.png

Muhahahahahaha! Call me out of retirement to teach these youngin's a thing or two.

Gameshark on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's no way I can have a fully trained team in time. So I've decided to go with a joke team instead. Level 5 Ratata? You're in. Level 2 Eevee? You're in. Level 5 Magikarp with splash as your only move? Hell yeah, you're in! At least I can provide some laughs while I splash at you...

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OK. I lied. I am half ass EV training. I mean, fuck, I have to battle and level up my guys, why not battle against certain pokes to get some EVs. I might not fully do them, but I guess every little bit helps.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    NO.

NO.

WHERE IS THE Heart!?!?!

DanUNG on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    NO.

NO.

WHERE IS THE Heart!?!?!

I am not fully EV training. I mean, I am fighting Golducks with my one electric guy while Charmander has Exp Share on so that he levels up and also gets EVs. He is at level 32 or so, so I am almost done really training him I guess. I might switch over to fight some guys for speed, but once I hit level 50, I am more than likely done with him. Just need to transfer to SS and hopefully have a solar beam TM over there.

I still love my pokemon. It is hard, however, to have chemistry with my guys when I am just meeting them for the first time a few days before PAX. If someone gets put on fire or electrocuted, it isn't my fault! I am a new trainer!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i didnt bother EV training. i just leveled up the team i had in my game already. i'm barely putting any thought into them accept trying not to double up on any one type. and i completely dont expect to get any badges but i'm def gonna try,

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is there any sort of level restriction for the battles?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Level 50 flat battle, enforced by the game. If your Pokemon are higher, they'll automatically get lowered down,

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Flat 50. So as long as you get your team to lvl 50 or higher, you're good.

Above 50 will be lowered to 50. Under 50 will NOT be raised.

After looking over my team, I realized I had a problem, so am now trying to train up one pokémon to help fix that. What problem? I'm not telling. :P

Fetch26291 on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cool, thanks.

Looking forward to meeting everybody. <3

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In case some of you don't read the official site, here's one of the things you can win!

poster_small.png

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So how's everyone's Black/White? ;D

Mine is pretty spiffy. Got White myself. I didn't do any research on the pokemon beforehand (on purpose) to make it "fresh", like when I first discovered Pokemon..... it's nice.

And this is coming from someone who didn't even give Diamond/Pearl a chance 'cause I'm a retro-snob about Pokemon.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I'm enjoying White so far. I tried to do the same as far as not pre-researching, trying to let it be a fresh run through. Maybe it's just me but trainers seem a little tougher this time around... not hard, but not 100% pushovers like in HG/SS.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm enjoying White so far. I tried to do the same as far as not pre-researching, trying to let it be a fresh run through. Maybe it's just be but trainers seem a little tougher this time around... not hard, but not 100% pushovers like in HG/SS.

I have to actually train my pokemon before each gym, instead of sliding through the first five and then realizing I'm horribly behind.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Having to hold off on getting Black/White so I have money for PAX East.

And as I'll likely not have enough left by end of Sunday, will have to wait until sometime that week to get it.

As long as I get it before April 10th so I can get the Liberty Pass download at GameStop, it'll be good. (Liberty Pass needed to get Victini)

Fetch26291 on
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'm not going to have time to play any time soon anyway... I'll buy it before April so I can get that Victory pass (not going to miss out on all the free wifi goodies like I did with HG, I'm still bitter about not getting the Soul Dew), but I'm in no rush.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1153627p1.html

New PokeRap by the Presidents of the USA?

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    Having to hold off on getting Black/White so I have money for PAX East.

And as I'll likely not have enough left by end of Sunday, will have to wait until sometime that week to get it.

As long as I get it before April 10th so I can get the Liberty Pass download at GameStop, it'll be good. (Liberty Pass needed to get Victini)
    You get Victini via Nintendo Wi-fi, not GS.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/ds/pokemon-black-white/news/victini-wi-fi-distribution-announced-for-us-pokemon-black-and-white-release/a-2011020310374307069/g-201004091000657031

Gumbyx84 on
  • Options
    PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Four Badges in :D and I'm having a blast. The game is much more difficult than the previous ones, in my opinion...I'm not breezing through it like I did the others, I'm actually really struggling through some of the battles, despite the fact that I'm on par with the levels. It's nuts.

I HATE EMOLGA! ELECTRIC/FLYING IMMUNE TO GROUND?! COME ON! -.- Stupid fourth gym, I don't care if it is a Roller Coaster.

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)
  • Options
    WizMasterWizMaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Had some fun with Black. Currently on route 3 but I need to focus on my SS team for PAX so I probably won't go far until next week. I did download my Liberty Pass though. Too bad he game sync won't work for a while.

WizMaster on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have to wait on Black & White. We're moving 3/26 and my wife (wisely) decided that if my son and I got new Pokemon games we probably wouldn't be much help packing. We'll buy it the weekend after, still in time to get Victini.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ArymanAryman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was too busy this weekend I forgot to come back here and battle some of you guys. I will try to post my FC tonight so we can get some battles going.

Also, I saw there will be Pokemon meetups on Friday and Saturday according to this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=137952

Will Gym Leaders be there for battles?

Aryman on
    360/PSN/Steam: Aryman104

Currently playing: MvC3
    Other games: SSF4, Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon HG, Magicka
  • Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i was planing on not getting black or white, but now that i hear so much good about them i'm going to end up getting at least one :P

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png