As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cake vs. Pie [Phalla] - Game Over! Mafia Wins! Cake gets secondary victory!

1151617181921»

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for hosting this again daniant.

I really thought the village could have won this with so many kills, without a network all the seers in the world can't save you.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, huzzah for Cake win!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, why the neutral player (aka me)? Obviously I worked as a convenient distraction for the mafia, I guess, but how the hell are you supposed to play it when you're on a survival mission like that?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    towndrunk34towndrunk34 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I laughed inwardly when Unsalted treid to get Roman out, than got a faceful of vote from it.
    You don't fuck with masons!

towndrunk34 on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like being a survival neutral. You even had an ability! So much potential for deceit and fun :P.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So, why the neutral player (aka me)? Obviously I worked as a convenient distraction for the mafia, I guess, but how the hell are you supposed to play it when you're on a survival mission like that?

Sell yourself to one of the teams. Say that you'll seer a target of their choice if they protect you.

Anyway, good game guys. Was there ever a formed network? The village seemed to be voting at random.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    Alt_RavenAlt_Raven Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Great game daniant!

Alt_Raven on
    You touched my Tra-La-La!
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mafia boards are here

And the mafia did have two kills - my vig and our group kill. But I went after The Cow King day one and failed, so no sign in the narration of our second kill. Day two, we bus drove my kill onto the Cow King. That failed, too, eliminating the possibility that he was just guarded. At that point we didn't know whether someone had been roleblocking me, though--stever777 had just died as a blocker, and he knows me from CitOW so I might have been his target. We switch things around, bus drive my kill into Void Slayer (who had called a kill as pound cake that night) and try the mafia kill on The Cow King. Still nothing, so now we know it wasn't a role block.

At that point, we probably should have sacrificed a mafia member to out TCK as the serial killer to get him voted out.

Balance wise, though, the village had two faction seers, two full guards and vigs and roleblockers and messengers. When daniant ran this as a mini, the mafia was too small (and the serial killers overpowered, with two masoned members - a guard and a vig). Here, take away the accidental dunadan from us and we probably would have lost, despite our numbers. Vote-cake vig-pie vig-SK-mafia-mafia vig, there were a lot of kills flying around, and our only protection was a busdriver that we also needed to get past guards.

Darian on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In reply to daniant, Savant, and Darian regarding balance, it's important to not equate closeness to balance. A game that is mechanically balanced can still end up one-sided with savvy play, and an imbalanced game can end up close similarly. All in all, I thought it was pretty fair. Village as a whole was a bit more powerful than a normal game, but the mafia was more numerous as compensation. Mafia power was perhaps a little under average, exchanging what is normally two group kills in a main game for one group kill, one hitman kill and a couple of useful special abilities.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

no, had you not died to the vote I would have had you killed anyway.

a seer working for the village might as well just be a village seer as far as the mafia is concerned.

as soon as voidslayer told me who you were, I knew you'd have to go.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just made huge mistakes all around in this game. I totally misread a PM from Raiden and exposed him, and I'm not entirely sure my reveal helped me in the long run. Did you guys successfully seer me? I know I was the target on day 2, but I don't see if you actually got a result or not. More importantly, when did Void tell you who I was, and was he under the mistaken impression that you were on his side?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the game dani. I was bummed to go out day 2 though. I thought Void Slayer and I were going to have a good run.

Also I figure this was all behind closed doors but I didn't see a lot of the village specials come into play on the boards. I'm thinking of conversion specifically.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think two people were converted. Both converters kept targeting their own people, and since there were so many seers in the game, I couldn't let you guys use that as an accidental seer, so it would fail if you seered your own or the mafia.

daniant on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man!

the converters were not at all dangerous to the mafia, then.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lucedes wrote: »
    man!

Yup, but I wanted you to be very afraid. I loved it when you seered Mordroth. Hilarious.

daniant on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just made huge mistakes all around in this game. I totally misread a PM from Raiden and exposed him, and I'm not entirely sure my reveal helped me in the long run. Did you guys successfully seer me? I know I was the target on day 2, but I don't see if you actually got a result or not. More importantly, when did Void tell you who I was, and was he under the mistaken impression that you were on his side?

day 3.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for all the compliments guys. I don't care how balanced it was, it was a lotta fun. You are all great players, and put up with the host being not as active as she could be.

Go Lemon Bar!

daniant on
  • Options
    ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game was fun, I think there was too many mafias in the first place, and with Dunadan joining them it made it too much, also why did me and two other cakes not have a secondary win condition? I was all like, "It says nothing about killing pie, yet it is cake vs pie, how very odd".

Extermatott on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This game was fun, I think there was too many mafias in the first place, and with Dunadan joining them it made it too much, also why did me and two other cakes not have a secondary win condition? I was all like, "It says nothing about killing pie, yet it is cake vs pie, how very odd".

Ummm..because I made a mistake. You should have had a secondary win of killing pie. And thus you won your secondary posthumously.

daniant on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Awesome, I half won without knowing I could! :P

Extermatott on
  • Options
    MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    daniant wrote: »
    Lucedes wrote: »
    man!

Yup, but I wanted you to be very afraid. I loved it when you seered Mordroth. Hilarious.

Worst Mafia seer EVER. :p

lol.

Fun game all around though, thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't believe it went 10 days!

Mordroth on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Although I've been sick most of the week I had lots of fun!

I love how much the mafia tried to kill me that was kinda funny :p

Darian sorry for holding the PR game up when I did it hadn't moved in a couple of days and then I simply forgot to go check it! I also didn't mean to hold this game up last night I was hopped up on cold medicine and just played Rift all day.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't believe Cake won the faction competition. We were decimated the second and third days

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Although I've been sick most of the week I had lots of fun!

I love how much the mafia tried to kill me that was kinda funny :p

Darian sorry for holding the PR game up when I did it hadn't moved in a couple of days and then I simply forgot to go check it! I also didn't mean to hold this game up last night I was hopped up on cold medicine and just played Rift all day.

No worries with Puerto Rico; I would have PMed if I really wanted to get the game going again. It just made you a convenient day one target.

But then you refused to die. :)

Darian on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Muwhahahaha

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I laughed inwardly when Unsalted treid to get Roman out, than got a faceful of vote from it.
    You don't fuck with masons!

I took two of you with me. :) I was not a special mafiaoso either.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OK. So I have been told that I have been under some sort of misconception. I was thinking that the mafia was originally size 10, but was bumped up to 11 with Dunadan019. Instead, it seems that it was originally 11, but was bumped to 12? Yeah, 12 is too much. 10 and 11 would have been okay, and that's what I was trying to argue. But at 12... that's over the line. Too many mafia, yes. Still a good game, but somewhat more marred now.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I personally think 10 is pushing the limit.

Extermatott on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I agree, I balanced poorly.

Sorry to the village, but next time, get all your friends to sign up so I don't have to balance in the middle of the night.

daniant on