As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Graphic Violence
Welcome to GV's fourth comic book news thread. This is the thread to talk about news on events in comics and about comics generally. This is the place for news on the business of comic books, such as news on creators deals and sales. In addition it's a place for discussing general announcements, new imprints, new ongoing and comic book minis, etc. It's also the place for news on comics that might not have their own regularly-discussed threads.

A Note on Twitter
Twitter has become an invaluable tool for spreading comics news and commentary instantly, and often first-hand. The comics community (creators, publishers, and journalists/news sites) has thoroughly embraced Twitter, and just about anyone you may want to follow is on it. I'm sure there are plenty of creators on Facebook and/or fan pages for them, but fuck Facebook.

CBR's impressively comprehensive Comics Twitter Directory

Comic Book News Sites
The Comics Reporter
Comic Book Resources Newsarama IGN Comics
Comics Bulletin
Bleeding Cool
Major Spoilers
The Beat
L.A. Times: Hero Complex
The Weekly Crisis
4thletter!
Fourcast! (Podcast)
20th Century Danny Boy -- Tracking Marvel v. Kirby case.
Comic Book Podcasts

Awesomed By Comics (with an actual lady podcaster!)
G4 Fresh Ink Online (Video)
iFanboy
Indie Spinner Racks
Inkstuds
Sidebar
War Rocket Ajax: The Official Comics Alliance Podcast
Word Balloon: The Comic Book Interview Podcast

Comic Book Comics #5 by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey is the all-lawsuit issue.

Crimsondude on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh

I missed this thread in my eagerness to make a new one

damn it

Solar on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A Jack Kirby recreation of Amazing Fantasy #15 cover up on eBay. It looks to be authentic, and he made it in the 90's for a Sotheby's auction:

kirbyaf15-1.jpg

Buy it now price is $60k.

TexiKen on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow, that is expensive.

DouglasDanger on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That sure is a description

DrIanMalcolm on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CA has more superheroes quoting Charlie Sheen.

Still not as good as the ones I posted in the first article's comments section.

With the hindsight of being relatively young and Wizard not being a complete turd when it first came out, Chris Sims has an amusing article on "10 of 'Wizard' Magazine's Most Dubious Moments."

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2011
    Marshal Law to be published/reprinted by DC now. Never read it, but it seemed to be The Boys about 20 years earlier.

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

With the hindsight of being relatively young and Wizard not being a complete turd when it first came out, Chris Sims has an amusing article on "10 of 'Wizard' Magazine's Most Dubious Moments."

Much better set this time. The J'onn one was so obvious, I expected to see it yesterday.

Hensler on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hensler wrote: »

Much better set this time. The J'onn one was so obvious, I expected to see it yesterday.

I did love Wolverines and Fates, "They picked a fight with a warlock". Plus you can't beat Supermans from the first round.

And I used to read a lot of Wizard a few years back but I'd never encountered anything as bad as the stuff in that list. My god.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Marshal Law to be published/reprinted by DC now. Never read it, but it seemed to be The Boys about 20 years earlier.

i'll believe it when i see it. Some other publisher was going to publish a big hardcover three or four years ago.

DouglasDanger on
    edited March 2011
    February statistics are out.

DC had 6 of the top 10, GL and Brightest day holding the top 3 spots. Marvel won on unit share 45% to DC's 31%. I hope when the actual numbers are out DC sales stabilized a bit showing the hold the line initiative worked.

TexiKen on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guys Tony Harris tweeted my tattoo at Emerald City Comic Con

http://twitter.com/TONYFINGHARRIS/status/43865231130243072

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    holy shit

Antimatter on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    dang jordyn

that is fantastic

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Coolness

Solar on
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jordyn wrote: »
    Guys Tony Harris tweeted my tattoo at Emerald City Comic Con

http://twitter.com/TONYFINGHARRIS/status/43865231130243072

Hey, I saw you walk past the Image table and thought the tattoo was pretty badass. Nice one!

gredavin on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Slick Jordyn, also I like how harris's twitter is Tony F-ing Harris heh

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/03/05/wizardworld-digital-1-1-for-free-here/

Is it always going to be free, or are we on a trial for the first month or something? I haven't read Wizard since I was 12 or 13 (ten years ago), but that was a pretty fun 15 minutes I spent reading it.

Also, I forgot how awesome Toyfare is.

HadjiQuest on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    THE ONE RELEVANT ECCC ANNOUNCEMENT: Nick Spencer is now Marvel exclusive.

Furu on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shocker.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    So long, Thunder Agents.

TaTa anything cool he ever had in the wings for DC.

Man, I really want to keep on Avengers and Secret Avengers at this point, but my finances will be shot to shit in May. I know Spencer will kick ass on secret, but I'll probably have to trade wait :(

HadjiQuest on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    from what i understand, spencer will honor any current stuff he's on, ie thunder agents and morning glories.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited March 2011
    Ahh. I figured he'd get to keep doing Image stuff, but I didn't see the Thunder Agents exception. I wonder how long he'll hang out with that. I remember Paul Cornell was allowed to do that series for Boom!/Stan Lee, and then he only ended up doing 4 issues total.

HadjiQuest on
    edited March 2011
    Is that new Thunder Agents book good? I decided to trade wait it, and can just barely remember the original book.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    It's selling so poorly the first trade will probably be the only (if DC even makes a trade of it).

It's getting good reviews though.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    I heard absolutely nothing about it until I saw the first issue at my LCS. I don't think DC promoted it at all.

Hensler on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think it had not only in house ads, but actual previews in the back of many books the month the first issue came out.

MastaP on
    edited March 2011
    Wizard World's new stock ticker is WIZD. At it's current price you could buy 5 shares for the average Marvel Comic. And Yahoo Finance spelled the company name wrong

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    So Ultimate spider-man 160 is going to be poly-bagged...

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited March 2011
    Remember when Ultimate Spidey more or less died in Ultimatum? If he doesn't actually die this time either (or retire or whatever), what happens? How do we react as fans?

HadjiQuest on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No one actually thinks they're killing off Peter Parker. Just Spider-Man.

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    So then new costumed identity on the poly bagged cover?
    edit: Maybe an ultimate iron spider costume since tony's been getting really impressed with him?

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited March 2011
    So while there might not be a death every quarter, there will be a polybag every quarter. They keep this up Fear Itself will probably get one for issue #7.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    So then new costumed identity on the poly bagged cover?
    edit: Maybe an ultimate iron spider costume since tony's been getting really impressed with him?

I'd like that

Solar on
    edited March 2011
    Sales estimates for February

GL #62 is the lowest #1 ever with 71.5k. Everything else is usual attrition. Onslaught Unleashed sold 28k, 6 k more than Young Allies #1 did. And Hawkeye Blind Spot #1 sold 14.5k; you could say no one saw it on the shelf hyuck hyuck.

Detective Comics continues to uptick about 500 copies a month, deservedly so. Everyone read it.

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Most of the stuff I care about (Thunderbolts, Hulk, Secret Six) is still doing pretty well, but these numbers are still awful.

Iron Man 2.0 launched around 32k, which isn't bad for a new writer like Spencer, working on a B-list character like War Machine. Power Man and Iron Fist debuted near 28k, which is pretty good for a mini, but its second issue, which came out the same month, only sold 12k. So goes the direct market.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the hero-family books like Batgirl, Superboy, Red Robin, X-23, and Daken continue doing pretty well too. X-Factor actually bounced up a bit, which usually means a book's settled into a nice little sales groove.

On the other hand, Black Panther's not doing great, for being so early in its run. I haven't heard much buzz about it, so it's not surprising. Heroes for Hire's down to 22k with its third issue, so I don't expect it to be around for much longer. Booster Gold's almost certainly due to be canceled, once its Flashpoint crossover ends.

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    At least X-Men: Legacy is the top-selling X-book on that list (by a hair!). Disappointed by most of the other things, especially Heroes for Hire, as Munch pointed out. Justice Society looks like it should hold out for a while longer - I'm always expecting sales on that book to be worse than they are.

I guess I'm kind of disappointed in comic book sales in general, since the buzz around the industry has never been higher and we've never got the new golden age that was promised to come with all the successful comic movies. Good thing we have a new Doomsday storyline coming to save the industry.

Hensler on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    After close to twenty years of buying comic it pains me to say this…I think the print industry is dead.

71k for the highest selling book is beyond depressing. How long can this be sustained when kids don't buy comics anymore (or couldn't even if they wanted to)? I recently moved to a major US city and you'd think finding a comic shop would be easy. Nope, had to start preordering everything I buy from an online retailer. The barrier for entry to this hobby requires much more effort than it used to, and no young person in this day and age is going to put up with that.

Something big needs to happen soon or we'll all be buying Ipads in three years.

Maximum on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MaximumJ wrote: »
    After close to twenty years of buying comic it pains me to say this…I think the print industry is dead.

71k for the highest selling book is beyond depressing. How long can this be sustained when kids don't buy comics anymore (or couldn't even if they wanted to)? I recently moved to a major US city and you'd think finding a comic shop would be easy. Nope, had to start preordering everything I buy from an online retailer. The barrier for entry to this hobby requires much more effort than it used to, and no young person in this day and age is going to put up with that.

I feel like that part's inevitable (though five years may be a bit too soon). The question is who will be selling us comics on them.

admanb on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MaximumJ wrote: »

While 71k is low for the top selling book, aggregate numbers are actually the same or higher. Many of the lower ranked titles are selling significantly more copies (upwards of 300% increase for similar ranking titles in the 300+ range). It's more of a diversification of sales than a top heavy chart than it was 10 years ago, despite relatively same volume and not accounting for any digital sales, as meager as they may be. Comparing it to a year ago, comics out did the previous Feb in dollar value as well and this Feb had the $2.99 as the most common cover price for the first time since Marvel started the $3.99 trend. So doing more dollar share year over year is still a great performance despite a lower top sales volume.

Just looking at the top 10 is not indicative of overall comic sales or reason to say print is dying or comics are finished.

KVW on
    edited March 2011
    Welcome back Kirk!

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.