As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, I just got something in the mail that I feel somewhat silly about owning, now. :P

Naaaahhhh. Don't worry man. Think of it as a way of supporting Atlus. Just start on Normal and then do Hard on the Summer release when it comes out.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also: artbook/OST get. :D

(I'm saving the image for the pickup thread.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was afraid I would have to pass on this because I don't generally import games. Well played Atlus. Well played.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game does not mess around. Got my first game over on stage 2.

I will stream it up to a point, but not the entire game, out of respect.

I do not envy the QA team for this game. Oh they're gonna be cursing up a storm.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Yeah man. No kidding. The game really is hard. Cygnus and I weren't joking around haha. Just wait until the later stages. It gets....insane to say the least.

mastrius on
    edited March 2011
    Stage 4's boss can rot in hell.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, judging from one of the trailers I've seen, Katherine and Catherine at one point get into a very big fucking cat fight.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, judging from one of the trailers I've seen, Katherine and Catherine at one point get into a very big fucking cat fight.

Considering the universe they belong to, and the scale of Vincent's nightmares, I seriously doubt they just get into a "catfight". If there isn't some real psycho shit going down in the end I might be dissatisfied.

Mattakuevan on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've seen people swear up and down on other forums that they haven't seen stuff that you can blatantly see happening in trailers, so either this game has some Alpha Protocol style "the plot can diverge and you won't see a ton of shit that's in the game", or they're just really forgetful.

Considering the game's supposed to have eight endings, yeah, it's entirely possible that big catfight we see in the trailer could only be seen on one of the pathways. Assuming that's how the game works anyway.

l337CrappyJack on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've seen people swear up and down on other forums that they haven't seen stuff that you can blatantly see happening in trailers, so either this game has some Alpha Protocol style "the plot can diverge and you won't see a ton of shit that's in the game", or they're just really forgetful.

Considering the game's supposed to have eight endings, yeah, it's entirely possible that big catfight we see in the trailer could only be seen on one of the pathways. Assuming that's how the game works anyway.

Not really Spoilers, but just to be safe:
    No, the plotlines only diverge at the very end of the game.

CygnusZ on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am so glad that this is getting localized

SO glad

my erection is unmeasurable

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    According to some tweets Kanji Tasumi's voice actor is doing Vincents voice. Could be wrong though.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We know that already. It's old news.

The tweets I mean. Not that Troy Baker got the role.

The Anonymous on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    According to his facebook, unless he's actually been caught in a nightmare scenario where he's been forced to climb giant towers, it's a pretty safe bet.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited March 2011
    I'm more interested in who they get for Katherine. Laura Bailey as Catherine is probably a safe bet.

Hoping for Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm more interested in who they get for Katherine. Laura Bailey as Catherine is probably a safe bet.

Hoping for Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

Now the only thing I can imagine is Shin-chan's voice coming out of Catherine.
    And it's amazing.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, but her voice might be a bit too deep/husky for Katherine. I'd be down with Laura Bailey as Catherine.

How's the game going so far?

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
    edited March 2011
    I'm at Stage 6. Stage 5 was amazingly fun. Stage 6 is hell.

No plot spoilers, just what you're up against:
    Stage 5 are ice blocks. Slip and slide city. If the end of a path is an ice block, you're going off the edge. No grabbing on.

Stage 6? Exploding blocks. They turn everything around them to crumbling blocks.

It's hell.

The multiplayer/time attack mode is hilarious. It's set up like a TV program, with an English announcer and everything. Not Engrishy; she's fluent. Same girl who says 'Fist of Grudge has appeared! It's the killer. Do not die.'

Bursar, don't you let them touch that voice. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    They need to market this to the Demon's Souls crowd.
    Once you nail the trick to a stage, there's nothing like that feeling of accomplishment. Finally nailed 6-2.

(It's much easier to play this in HD, apologies to the stream audience. :P)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The multiplayer/time attack mode is hilarious. It's set up like a TV program, with an English announcer and everything. Not Engrishy; she's fluent. Same girl who says 'Fist of Grudge has appeared! It's the killer. Do not die.'

Midnight Venus is not the same voice as the in-game announcer. That's a computer-generated voice in the JP version.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited March 2011
    Bursar wrote: »

Midnight Venus is not the same voice as the in-game announcer. That's a computer-generated voice in the JP version.

Wait, the announcer in Babel isn't the same as the in-game one? I think it's the same voice.

Also, 6-3. What the eff.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Wait, the announcer in Babel isn't the same as the in-game one? I think it's the same voice.

Also, 6-3. What the eff.

Oh, I thought you meant "announcer" as in the introductions. Yeah, the in-puzzle announcer voices are the same.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited March 2011
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/04/catherine_patch/
    The wait for the Catherine patch may not be long!

Catherine director Katsura Hashino gave the game's official blog an update today with some long awaited details on the game's upcoming patch.

Work on the patch's additional content is almost complete, said Hashino. The development staff is moving on to checks and preparations for releasing the patch. A precise date will be announced by the Atlus PR department in a future update.

Hashino provided a few hints about what to expect in terms of content. The game's easy mode will receive an "assist feature" which he says will make the game "quite easier." He suggests using the assist feature along with the hint page at the official site (which has video hints for tough situations) if you're having trouble.

Easy mode and normal mode will both be getting relaxed limits on retries. This is being done to let players concentrate on strategy for clearing the stages.

The patch will also come with a feature for switching the game back to its original pre-patch state. This will work for everything except for just a few areas.

Hashino also hinted that more patches could be on the way. The staff wanted to get this patch out as quickly as possible, so they made the focus of the add-on content the assist feature which will help those who are having trouble clearing the stages. Noting that this is the lower limit of arrangements and does not reply to all customer requests, he added that there have been a lot of requests for an event scene viewer, and closed off the sentence with an ;) emoticon.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Also, 6-3. What the eff.

Oh, I thought you meant "announcer" as in the introductions. Yeah, the in-puzzle announcer voices are the same.

So first you guys dark up dating sims, and now puzzle games, what's next, Satanic Hockey?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I see you playing and not streaming CJ. This makes me sad.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited March 2011
    Well, I'm dying over and over on the same stage. :P And it's not like anyone comments, it's just a horde of guests. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We like to be creepers and just watch.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
    edited March 2011
    I'm sure there's some skilled puzzlers who can help. I'm really at my wit's end with 6-3.

It's easier to play in HD, too; but I'll see if I can fire it back up.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
    Chapter 7's boss is a nightmare.
    One checkpoint, no extra lives or anything? :( This is mean, Atlus.

I can't get past the segment after the springboard jump.

Any help from the two survivors here? :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Eh, I think they're being babied too much. People have beaten the game already. It's not like it's impossible.

Granted, I haven't played it, but just my impression. It has a rewind feature already, how hard could it be?

Play through Night 6 on Normal, then you can talk about how everybody is being a big baby.
    No rewind feature on Normal difficulty either.

By the way, I did this. I know exactly what level you were talking about. Took me forever, but I cleared it.

Funny how Stage 7 wasn't nearly as hard.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    It's like that sometimes. You'll be stuck forever on an area and then the next is like...oh...that was fast. Kind of like the boss of the Ice place. I beat that my first try and it took me like..I don't know two minutes. I had half the stage left in Bonus points. It's weird.

mastrius on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game needs to be out in English now.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited March 2011
    Stage 7 boss cleared. What a rush.

Now it's about to get nuts, right?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011

Ummmm.....Maybe.....yeah shit starts to get out of hand around there. But you'll see. The game definitely just suddenly takes a sharp turn in how it's going and becomes crazy.

mastrius on
    edited March 2011
    Well.
    That had to hurt.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mastrius wrote: »

Ummmm.....Maybe.....yeah shit starts to get out of hand around there. But you'll see. The game definitely just suddenly takes a sharp turn in how it's going and becomes crazy.

Once I got through 6, the rest wasn't too bad. The last level might not be so bad even if your luck holds up.

CygnusZ on
    edited March 2011
    Curious about that last scene.

Start of Day eight, HUGE FRICKING SPOILERS
    Did that stabbing occur regardless of alignment? I was on the angel path, and... ouuch.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011

Did that stabbing occur regardless of alignment? I was on the angel path, and... ouuch.

I think that everything after the level you do after that is dependant on your path. But that always happens if I'm not mistaken.

Oh! and Cygnus I meant the story haha. Not the levels.

mastrius on
  • OtogiOtogi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Wait, wasn't that in the trailer?

Otogi on