As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight

1252627282931»

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    shouldn't he be skipping crossroads of twilight instead

I know I did

Alegis on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    My dad is on a re-read of the whole series. He really likes books 1-6, they move along fine and have plenty of action. But Lord of Chaos is the last book in that vein. He said the next books slowed down immensely. I suggested the idea of completely skipping Winter's Heart, which he did :lol: Now he's on...Crossroads of Twilight I think.

There is no reason to skip Winter's Heart.

It's probably the second or third best book in the SERIES.

Whereas Crossroads of Twilight is almost universally considered the worst.

Taramoor on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Winter's Heart has the best climax, second most pivotal event and some of the best politicking in the series.

Crossroads of Twilight is basically all the chapters that got culled from Winter's Heart because they weren't awesome enough to be in it.

Z0re on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CoT is basically the prologue and first few chapter of Knife of Dreams.

shryke on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just jumping in here at the end of this thread because I haven't gotten a chance to read this latest book. Actually, that's why I'm here: does anyone know when this will be available on the Kindle? So far as I can see, only the prologue is available.

I got a Kindle a couple weeks back and was finally able to catch up on the last two WoT I had fallen behind on. Got on a roll and would love to keep going into ToM. Any ideas?

[Edit]
    Err... I mean, with respect to when I get it on my Kindle.

LaOs on
  • sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Towers of midnight is available for the kindle. It was released at the beginning of the month.

ETA: A link to the kindle version of ToM.

sterling3763 on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I'm reading it on the kindle right now, 'bout 80% done.

better than the previous books I can remember - perrin chapters actually became interesting at a point! Not at first though.

I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head it's going to stall from here though (I should put up a script that immediately skips any pages where the words Elayne and Cairhien appear together) and <insert event> is going to happen in the last 10 pages in the book, according to true Robert Jordan style.

Alegis on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    Yeah I'm reading it on the kindle right now, 'bout 80% done.

better than the previous books I can remember - perrin chapters actually became interesting at a point! Not at first though.

I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head it's going to stall from here though (I should put up a script that immediately skips any pages where the words Elayne and Cairhien appear together) and <insert event> is going to happen in the last 10 pages in the book, according to true Robert Jordan style.

No, it pretty much goes just non-stop awesome once it kicks into gear.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited March 2011
    Towers of midnight is available for the kindle. It was released at the beginning of the month.

ETA: A link to the kindle version of ToM.

Well, what the hell?! Every time I searched, it only returned the Prologue.

Thanks duders!

LaOs on
    edited March 2011
    No, it pretty much goes just non-stop awesome once it kicks into gear.
    You were correct!

So why exactly is the book called Towers of Midnight?
    edit: nvm, found it on page 43 of this thread

Alegis on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finished reading all of these this week. Maybe it's just me, but every time I see the a'dam image at the chapter head, I get sick to my stomach. It's just so fucked up how these people treat others. I don't think I could ever be a writer; I couldn't stand doing those kinds of things, even to made up people.

Also, Sanderson definitely brought new life to this series.

silence1186 on
  • Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was the ever a resolution to the timeline weirdness in Towers of Midnight?
    Sanderson said specifically that Verin died 30 days after her meeting with Mat, and we know she died around the time (was it the same night?) of the Seanchan attack on the Tower. But Mat was hearing rumors of the attack when he was stuck in Caemlyn, with clearly fewer than 30 days having passed. I believe Sanderson just waved this away by saying "rumors don't mean it actually happened", which seems like a cop out.
    I always thought it made a lot more sense given the metaphysics of the Wheel of Time that Verin actually died 10 days after the meeting with Mat, rather than 30. My assumption has been that Sanderson misspoke when he said she died 30 days later.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
    edited March 2011
    Well if you don't like that cop out I can give you another one;

ta'veren

Alegis on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That whole thing was stupid on her part. Typical Aes Sedai games for no reason.

Xeddicus on
    edited March 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That whole thing was stupid on her part. Typical Aes Sedai games for no reason.

Maybe...
    Or maybe she couldn't reveal the information about the invasion because of her oaths to the Dark One.

She said she had intended to return in a day and retrieve the letter from him, but since she hasn't and he's opened it, it means she's dead--relieving her of her oaths to the Dark One, allowing her to reveal information about the Trolloc invasion.

It was kind of dumb, I guess, but it was a way to get around the oaths and still warn Matt of the attack so he could do something about it. If she had lived and returned, I'm sure she would have found some other way for Matt to stumble across the forgotten Waygate and be there to fight the invasion anyway. Plus, she didn't figure he would hold to his word and actually delay opening the letter.

[Edit]
    Where did Sanderson confirm that? I don't disbelieve you--I just haven't been keeping up on comments from the Author.

LaOs on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, question on ToM:
    Can someone point out the Thom X Moraine signs in any of the other books? Did not see that coming. I didn't see Lan x Nynaeve in book 1 either though, so, who knows.

silence1186 on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    captaink on
  • Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It was a thing on dragonmount et al when the Mat chapter first became available.
    I agree with your interpretation. Verin was thinking "I'll come back after I've weaseled out of my Oath to the Dark One ... and if I'm not back in 10 days then I'm dead and you can open the letter anyway". Presumably there was some contingency to protect against Mat opening the letter early, like maybe she magicked it so that if he opened it too soon the contents would self-destruct.

Edit: This is in response to LaOs.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
    edited March 2011
    It was a thing on dragonmount et al when the Mat chapter first became available.
    I agree with your interpretation. Verin was thinking "I'll come back after I've weaseled out of my Oath to the Dark One ... and if I'm not back in 10 days then I'm dead and you can open the letter anyway". Presumably there was some contingency to protect against Mat opening the letter early, like maybe she magicked it so that if he opened it too soon the contents would self-destruct.

Edit: This is in response to LaOs.

Thanks. I figured it would be on dragonmount somewhere.

LaOs on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, question on ToM:
    Can someone point out the Thom X Moraine signs in any of the other books? Did not see that coming. I didn't see Lan x Nynaeve in book 1 either though, so, who knows.
    The fact he obsessed over the letter was a clue. Min's vision of him pulling her stone out of a fire. Few other things I'm probably forgetting.

Xeddicus on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All over the place.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was the ever a resolution to the timeline weirdness in Towers of Midnight?
    Sanderson said specifically that Verin died 30 days after her meeting with Mat, and we know she died around the time (was it the same night?) of the Seanchan attack on the Tower. But Mat was hearing rumors of the attack when he was stuck in Caemlyn, with clearly fewer than 30 days having passed. I believe Sanderson just waved this away by saying "rumors don't mean it actually happened", which seems like a cop out.
    I always thought it made a lot more sense given the metaphysics of the Wheel of Time that Verin actually died 10 days after the meeting with Mat, rather than 30. My assumption has been that Sanderson misspoke when he said she died 30 days later.
    Sanderson misspoke. She dies like ... the next day after giving Mat the letter. That's why the letter says "I was gonna return to release you" cause once her oaths to the Dark One were gone, she was gonna jump back and release Mat.
    Also, question on ToM:
    There's tons of clues about how he feels. As for scenes showing any sort of relationship develop between the two?

:lol:

shryke on