As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: The root of all roms - market.android.com now live

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh. Well, its not like she'd be a power user or anything, not enough to need the next iphone iteration anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2011
    So uh...Amazon has the Incredible and the Droid X for $0.01 with new service right now, I'm not seeing any other charges like activation or anything.

Is there something I'm not seeing here? Because $0.01 is better than $199.00 a pop.

EDIT: Huh, you can't get the iphone for Verizon off Amazon's cell site.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I doubt there's any catch. Amazon runs those kinds of deals pretty frequently.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    nolifekingnolifeking Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I got a fascinate last weekend, lov'n it (first android).

Rooted it last night, which was a little scary. It all worked. I got the Superclean v2.8 on it, and I love the debloat.

Only issue I'm running into is that some programs don't connect well. For instance, I use Medscape ( a drug reference app) for work, and it won't connect to download new stuff on either 3g or wifi.

Also, the app market won't run on the wifi, but will on 3g.

The wifi works when I'm just browsing the internet, or even downloading apps that I picked on the pc. It is perplexing.

nolifeking on
    Steam - nolifeking
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So uh...Amazon has the Incredible and the Droid X for $0.01 with new service right now, I'm not seeing any other charges like activation or anything.

Is there something I'm not seeing here? Because $0.01 is better than $199.00 a pop.

EDIT: Huh, you can't get the iphone for Verizon off Amazon's cell site.

I don't think Amazon ever had the iphone for AT&T either.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ah, ok. They must not be authorized to sell them by Apple or something.

I'm gonna try to sell my wife on an Incredible. I think she can get the same things she likes on the iphone on it, and its smaller size would be better for her, and I'll pick up a Droid X. $0.02 > $398.00

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, ok. They must not be authorized to sell them by Apple or something.

I'm gonna try to sell my wife on an Incredible. I think she can get the same things she likes on the iphone on it, and its smaller size would be better for her, and I'll pick up a Droid X. $0.02 > $398.00

I gotta warn you that as much as I like my phone (MyTouch 4G) there are points at which I fucking hate it. Apps crash randomly, old messages resend, the whole thing reboot. My sister couldn't open half her apps until she turned if off and reseated the battery.

It works for nerds like us because we're used to dealing with shit like that, but if your wife is pickier about that kind of thing get her the iPhone and spare your marriage.

There are areas in which Android has great advantages, but providing a consistent and reliable user experience isn't one of them.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, even if that's the case when it comes down to $400 vs nothing, she'll typically go with the cheap and free and learn. That's a big price tag for convenience. Since I doubt I could get my phone via amazon and hers via best buy or something and "combine" the account or something stupid. We'd have to pay full price at a store just to get her an iphone.

If amazon offered the iphone it'd be a no brainer. Pay for hers, not for mine. But alas...

EDIT: what version of android does your phone have? I can't say I've heard from many people that many QOL issues with the 2.1-2.2 android phones.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

admanb on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the iphone vs android battle is old news

the android mascotte is now fighting hitler on my desk, rewriting history

Alegis on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

plus both phones, while great, are going to be outdated once the first LTE handsets start hittin

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

plus both phones, while great, are going to be outdated once the first LTE handsets start hittin

By the time LTE actually comes to our area of Utah, we should be well out of our 2yr contracts. :(

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You should just call up (or better yet, go to) you local verizon store and just tell them where you sit.

"The wife doesn't think she will like such and such so if I get one how much will it cost us to add a line and get her an iphone if she hates mine after playing with it."

No need to even let them think you are getting your X from them, as any rep that I would be wanting to do business with will be enough of a geek to know that you're going to be getting the penny X from amazon, but will be willing to answer your questions in hope of you coming back for the iphone.

This is pretty much what we did when my wife was undecided about an iphone or not, but our geek, err rep, happened to own a Droid X and he let her play with his phone in the store while he and I talked.

Edit: and she's about as tech dumb as anyone but hasn't had any trouble from her phone in the couple of weeks we've had them.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just did the Incredible for .01 off Amazon a few weeks ago. Verizon does actually charge activation fee (or at least they did on my bill) but overall it's still a lot cheaper than going through Verizon directly to buy the phone. Might want to buy this battery, as the stock battery life for the DI is a bit weak. Its the same thickness so you won't need a new backplate or anything. I've been happy with mine, but then its my first smartphone ever so I don't really have a comparison aside from what I've seen and read.

superspork on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What are folks using for email clients? I'm after something which will allow me to consolidate all of my stuff ala Thunderbird. But failing that, nearly anything would be better than the default/Gmail clients. I find with Gmail I have to refresh twice every time I want to refresh my inox. Which is a pain when I need to do this for each of my accounts.

exis on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    exis wrote: »
    What are folks using for email clients? I'm after something which will allow me to consolidate all of my stuff ala Thunderbird. But failing that, nearly anything would be better than the default/Gmail clients. I find with Gmail I have to refresh twice every time I want to refresh my inox. Which is a pain when I need to do this for each of my accounts.

I like K9 mail. There's a unified inbox, as well as individual folders for each account.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    exis wrote: »

I like K9 mail. There's a unified inbox, as well as individual folders for each account.

Awesome, just what I was looking for :^:

exis on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So... I just got an Evo 4G last Wednesday. Pretty sweet stuff. Then I came in here and saw what I was missing.

Question about LauncherPro. Is there an HTC style clock+weather widget? Or just something that combines clock and weather in the same place. Furthermore, is there a place to look at different docks and widgets for LauncherPro?

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    So... I just got an Evo 4G last Wednesday. Pretty sweet stuff. Then I came in here and saw what I was missing.

Question about LauncherPro. Is there an HTC style clock+weather widget? Or just something that combines clock and weather in the same place. Furthermore, is there a place to look at different docks and widgets for LauncherPro?

Beautiful Widgets, if memory serves.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    kuhlmeye wrote: »

Beautiful Widgets, if memory serves.

There may be others, but Beautiful Widgets definitely does.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BW has lots of free skins and such for clocks

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I'm mulling a Nexus S for my personal phone. (business phone is an iPhone 3GS)

And there are some things that I'm finding interesting on android. (Firefox mobile is really piquing my interest)

But, there are some things that I really like on the iphone like the visual voicemail and the remote on the earphones. Now, since my work phone won't disappear (i'll have the iphone and the nexus s) i'm probably not that in a bother about the music remote thing since I can just use the iphone for that, but I really do prefer the visual voicemail over having to ring up a voicemail service and "press 1 for blah" crap.

Is there anyway to get something akin to visual voicemail on android? And optionally do any android phones have decent controls like the iphone earbuds? (volume up/down, pause, play, next/previous track etc)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Firefox mobile is garbage. Someday it might be cool, but that is not this day.

For visual voicemail, get a Google Voice account and use it as your voicemail provider.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    also if you're using the Nexus S on T-Mobile, I'm pretty sure you can download and use their visual voicemail app.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    So, I'm mulling a Nexus S for my personal phone. (business phone is an iPhone 3GS)

And there are some things that I'm finding interesting on android. (Firefox mobile is really piquing my interest)

But, there are some things that I really like on the iphone like the visual voicemail and the remote on the earphones. Now, since my work phone won't disappear (i'll have the iphone and the nexus s) i'm probably not that in a bother about the music remote thing since I can just use the iphone for that, but I really do prefer the visual voicemail over having to ring up a voicemail service and "press 1 for blah" crap.

Is there anyway to get something akin to visual voicemail on android? And optionally do any android phones have decent controls like the iphone earbuds? (volume up/down, pause, play, next/previous track etc)

I got those Motorola bluetooth headphones for 35 bucks off Amazon. They do the job.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

For visual voicemail, get a Google Voice account and use it as your voicemail provider.

Google voice isn't available in the capacity you refer outside of the US. What makes Firefox mobile junk? Is it slow, unstable or a memory eater? It is a beta still though.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, then there should be a visual voicemail app from your carrier, although some charge you to use it.

Firefox mobile? Yes, yes, and no. Not everyone has force close issues, but the browser itself is extremely slow. Yes, it's still in beta, but that's no reason to use it.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Google voice isn't available in the capacity you refer outside of the US. What makes Firefox mobile junk? Is it slow, unstable or a memory eater? It is a beta still though.

They should really say alpha, it works, most of the time, and is fast, most of the time.

I've had an issue where no site would load.
    I have an issue with how fast it redraws pages when you zoom in and move them around.
    It's slow on startup, compared to my packaged browser.

The UI is really good, we just have to wait for the code to catch up.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so I just rooted my first smartphone (droidX) and loaded up Liberty 1.5. I used the ClockworkMod recovery bootstrap to backup the previous image to the SD card.

So now I need to restore my contact list back into Liberty. I found the img files that the bootstrap created. what kind of tool do I need to extract files from the img files to restore the contact db?

Thanks in advance!

VoodooV on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I just signed up for google voice for voicemail, but when I check the messages from my phone it tries to download the message as an mp3. Does it always do this, or can I tell it to play the file?

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, after a trip to the Verizon store nearby to play with some phones, turns out my wife likes the Incredible more than the Iphone anyway without any influence required from me.

Looks like we'll be picking up a Droid X and an Incredible here before too long.

So, whats everyone's opinions on cases/screen protectors? Every time I've seen someone with a big ol case on their phone, regardless of brand, it just seems to make it so much bigger and unwieldy; and as far as protectors go, it doesn't seem like anyone gets them on right and whenever I play with a phone with a protector on it the screen looks crappy, often with air bubbles and a general "glaze" to all LCD taking away all the crisp visuals. I'm sure either/or can be done right. I just haven't seen it. But on the other hand I don't usually have a phone so nice so I don't usually care.

In the past, for my phones, I've just had a nice leather envelope style case that usually has a clip or something and I've managed to keep my phones really nice. But I never handled my phones as much as I'd be doing so with this. Plus, my wife is brutal with her phones but she uses them 1000% more than I do.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, after a trip to the Verizon store nearby to play with some phones, turns out my wife likes the Incredible more than the Iphone anyway without any influence required from me.

Looks like we'll be picking up a Droid X and an Incredible here before too long.

So, whats everyone's opinions on cases/screen protectors? Every time I've seen someone with a big ol case on their phone, regardless of brand, it just seems to make it so much bigger and unwieldy; and as far as protectors go, it doesn't seem like anyone gets them on right and whenever I play with a phone with a protector on it the screen looks crappy, often with air bubbles and a general "glaze" to all LCD taking away all the crisp visuals. I'm sure either/or can be done right. I just haven't seen it. But on the other hand I don't usually have a phone so nice so I don't usually care.

In the past, for my phones, I've just had a nice leather envelope style case that usually has a clip or something and I've managed to keep my phones really nice. But I never handled my phones as much as I'd be doing so with this. Plus, my wife is brutal with her phones but she uses them 1000% more than I do.

I went with the Steinhall/Otterbox combo with my DroidX

Steinhall UltraCrystal: http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/motorola/droid-x/sgp-motorola-droid-x-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html

Otterbox Commuter: http://www.otterbox.com/DROID-X-by-Motorola-Commuter-Series-Case/MOT4-DRODX,default,pd.html (wow..out of stock again, I got mine at Buy.com for MUCH cheaper btw)

The UltraCrystal is just perfect. The Otterbox is super solid and only adds a small amount of thickness. The droid X is already big so what's a little bit more. The buttons are still easily usable despite being covered. My only complaint about the Otterbox is that the silicone portion seems to attract a lot of dust, but that's easy to wipe away. The otterbox did come with some screen protectors, but I cannot speak for their quality as I already had the steinhall in place.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Those screen protectors look mighty nice. Good reviews too. We'll probably pick up that brand for both our phones.

It occured to me that I'm going to get the dock for the droid x for the desk and the car one so I don't think a shell case would work very well. I'll probably just get a leather pouch and call it good. She'll probably get a good shock resistant case though. She's a klutz. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Spending $150 on accessories and a memory card for your phones doesn't feel so bad when you spent $0.02 on them. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you haven't already, and your wife uses her phone as much as you say, you'll definately want to look into getting the larger capacity battery I linked last page. It really improved the Incredibles battery life. Its pretty anemic with the stock one.

superspork on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really don't think you need a case or screen protectors for the Droid X. I used to universal screen protectors on my Droid X, but they'd get scratched up rather easily and I really suck at applying them without getting any bubbles or dust stuck underneath so I just stopped using them. I carry my phone in my pants pocket and it remains undamaged. The body of the phone is strong and sturdy. It's not a lightweight, cheap feeling phone and it can take a bit of a beating. It's survived a couple falls off my bed onto a hardwood floor without any internal or cosmetic damage. The only incident I've had with mine was a swim in the toilet, but in that instance a case wouldn't have done anything to protect it. I advise waiting and using the phone for a bit before getting a case. You may realize (like I did) that, unless you're really rough with it, a case isn't necessary.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looks like the Droid X has Gorilla Glass, so a protector isn't worth it. It's unlikely to scratch unless you keep it in a pocket with keys all the time.

I got an InvisibleShield for my Optimus V (which has a plastic screen that scratches like crazy, I got micro-scratches in the week I waited for the protector to arrive from Amazon), and like Buillo, found that unless you are in a clean zone, you're not going to be able to apply it without dust underneath. I spent ages trying to apply it sans dust, and it just doesn't seem possible (I watched the pros do it at the mall the other day, they don't even look for dust, and I can't imagine that their application technique makes any difference). I have reached a point where I don't notice it because the rest of the protector is so beat up, not because my phone looks great :)

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah I stopped using the protector on my X as it made the touchscreen feel sluggish

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just rooted my Ally! Yay! I had some trouble with the USB drivers for some reason, but the drivers that installed with the LG Updater program finally worked and now I've got root!

Biggest reason I wanted root is to move apps to the SD card. Ally has laughable storage, and much of it is already used by the time you start downloading your own apps, and you would think big name apps would be up to date and allow SD moves, but nope.

But now that I'm rooted I can start playing around with all the other fun things you can do with root now. :)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What was that app that set an alarm for when you reached a destination? I ask because im on a train and god fuck me dead im tired.

theSquid on