As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Low-Carb Diets]: Now with awesome recipes on the first page!

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    cabsy wrote: »
    Oh hey Geckahn is here

Earlier people were talking about rice, but you seem to know a lot about this sort of thing. Is rice really "low in digestible carbs"?

What do you think of Dreamfield's low digestible carb noodles? I want to try them but I'm worried they're pretty much a scam

There's quite a bit of teal deer on the internet about the Dreamfields stuff, including some in this thread from months and months ago, but the basic info seems to be for some people they don't work as a low carb pasta at all and for some they do. Also that if you overcook the noodles or reheat the noodles (which will overcook them) it no longer works as a low-in-digestible-carbs pasta for anyone, because it breaks down what they've coated the grains with.

I actually was just thinking of this thread! I am trying to cut back on carbs a bit and realized when I want something crunchy I inevitably go for some easy 'french fries that are baked slightly too long' action. Any advice on what I can replace this with that'll have the same overbaked french fry texture and hopefully go well with some spicy tomato sauce for dipping?

i had some trouble trying to find something snacky and crunchy as a low or no-carb substitute and mostly ended up with roasted almonds. some people use pork skins for the same thing.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wal-Mart has a brand of pistachios, world table, that are only 2 net carbs a serving. The garlic ones anyway, they're very garlicy and really pricey though.

Thanks Geckahn, cabsy. I'm guessing that as long as you cook them the right amount of time and don't reheat they work as advertised.

override367 on
  • BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, freshly roasted pork skin is sooooo good.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    homemade cracklins are awesome too. Theyre like a deliciously fatty version of popcorn.

I haven't made my own lard in awhile, I might have to do it again soon just for the cracklins.

geckahn on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I rendered my own lard the other day. I'm not using kidney fat, so is there anything I can do about the smell? Will it be better or worse in a slow cooker?

Lately I've been experimenting more with offal.

A recent recipe I made was chicken heart coq au vin. The problem with making coq au vin in America is that you can't get authentic rooster, or anything like it. I figure that coq au vin was intended to make full use of a tough, inferior cut of meat. Of course, since that also describes chicken hearts, that's what I'm using. Bonus: Chicken hearts have really high iron content, as high as beef liver, but without the off flavor. Not really sure if this qualifies as low carb, though, because of the burgundy.

Also tried cooking with pork's blood for the coq au vin. Then I tried using leftover porks blood in an egg/pork meatloaf. The second one was a bad, bad idea. The flavor of blood was just too overpowering. What do I do with extra porks blood?

Chicken feet are awesome. You can buy $2 worth, and you have a quart of super thick stock. I'm talking thicker than jello. It doesn't have much flavor, but it does have a lot of substance. If you buy that watered down crap in the boxes or the cans, then you're an idiot.

I'm thinking about getting an induction burner, and maybe a pressure cooker for making stock and braising meats.

Schrodinger on
    edited February 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    cabsy wrote: »
    Oh hey Geckahn is here

Earlier people were talking about rice, but you seem to know a lot about this sort of thing. Is rice really "low in digestible carbs"?

What do you think of Dreamfield's low digestible carb noodles? I want to try them but I'm worried they're pretty much a scam

There's quite a bit of teal deer on the internet about the Dreamfields stuff, including some in this thread from months and months ago, but the basic info seems to be for some people they don't work as a low carb pasta at all and for some they do. Also that if you overcook the noodles or reheat the noodles (which will overcook them) it no longer works as a low-in-digestible-carbs pasta for anyone, because it breaks down what they've coated the grains with.

I actually was just thinking of this thread! I am trying to cut back on carbs a bit and realized when I want something crunchy I inevitably go for some easy 'french fries that are baked slightly too long' action. Any advice on what I can replace this with that'll have the same overbaked french fry texture and hopefully go well with some spicy tomato sauce for dipping?

i had some trouble trying to find something snacky and crunchy as a low or no-carb substitute and mostly ended up with roasted almonds. some people use pork skins for the same thing.

What about spaghetti squash for the pasta?

You could also make stir fry sweet potatoes. Cut into small strips, then stir fry. Sweet potatoes have less carbs than regular potatoes.

One thing I like to do is buy chicken for making soup, then frying up the skin as if it were a piece of bacon (slowly render the fat, then raise the heat).

Schrodinger on
    edited February 2011
    BTW, does anyone have any idea for deserts that don't use artificial sweeteners? It doesn't even necessarily have to be sweet, but something I can serve for a desert course.

Schrodinger on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    i have a bunch of what are called "miracle noodles" that have zero carbs

they taste pretty much like cellophane though

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Also tried cooking with pork's blood for the coq au vin. Then I tried using leftover porks blood in an egg/pork meatloaf. The second one was a bad, bad idea. The flavor of blood was just too overpowering. What do I do with extra porks blood?

You can make blood sausage or scrapple.

Kakodaimonos on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BTW, does anyone have any idea for deserts that don't use artificial sweeteners? It doesn't even necessarily have to be sweet, but something I can serve for a desert course.

I have a few recipes that use a bit of honey. So you'd still be getting some carbs, but not a ton, and it can be adjusted by how much honey you use.

Almond Butter Pumpkin Brownies/Muffins (AKA Awesome)
    1 cup almond butter
    ¾ cup mashed pumpkin or other squash, canned or steamed
    1 egg
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tsp baking soda

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serves 8.

If you're making these as muffins, bake them for about 17-20 minutes instead. I also added a little nutmeg and cloves to give it a bit more pumpkin pie-ish flavor. Also, for muffins, if you only try to make 8, they'll probably overflow. 10 is how many I ended up making and it seemed to come out just right.

If you make the 10 muffins, you're looking at 5 carbs per serving. Add some real whipped cream on top for a nice addition.

I've also made them cutting the honey out completely, and you end up with more of a pumpkin bread, in that its much less sweet. Adding butter + cinnamon on top of a slice of that is incredibly tasty as well.

Also, real whipped cream with a dash of vanilla extract, and then strawberries makes a tasty, low-carb dessert.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited February 2011
    Is there any real advantage of honey over sugar? It sounds like honey is 60% fructose, where as sugar is 50% fructose.

Anyway, I made the Vietnamese egg meat loaf again today. Basically:

1 pound ground pork.
    1 handful of dried, black fungus
    1 bundle of cellophane noodles
    1/2 onion, chopped.
    4-5 eggs
    Seasoning (I used soy and fish sauce)

Mix everything together, then bake at 350 for an hour or two.

Anyway, it's a really simple meal, although if you're doing the atkins thing, you should probably forego on the cellophane noodle. Not sure what to replace them with, however. Perhap sauteed sliced onions.

Schrodinger on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there any real advantage of honey over sugar? It sounds like honey is 60% fructose, where as sugar is 50% fructose...

IIRC, honey has some vitamin and trace protein content, and it's also helpful as an anti-allergen for things like hay fever.

It's also a mild antibacterial.

V1m on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    So I tried quinoa for the first time last night. Its actually really nice, and extremely filling. Like a quarter-cup was more than enough for dinner, with some chicken. If no-one's posted about it yet in here, its a very high-protein seed that's used like a grain, so it makes a good substitute for anything you'd use rice or oats in. It also has a complete amino acid profile, so its great for vegetarians.

Thing is, I felt sick later on last night and still felt nauseous up until nearly lunchtime today, but I'm not sure if it was down to the scary new food, or the mini-froyo binge i indulged in after, or what.

I will have to experiment further, I suppose

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    V1m wrote: »
    Is there any real advantage of honey over sugar? It sounds like honey is 60% fructose, where as sugar is 50% fructose...

IIRC, honey has some vitamin and trace protein content, and it's also helpful as an anti-allergen for things like hay fever.

It also has a slightly better index number.

And it tastes like honey, which, in my mind, is also a plus. :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited February 2011
    The Cat wrote: »
    So I tried quinoa for the first time last night. Its actually really nice, and extremely filling. Like a quarter-cup was more than enough for dinner, with some chicken. If no-one's posted about it yet in here, its a very high-protein seed that's used like a grain, so it makes a good substitute for anything you'd use rice or oats in. It also has a complete amino acid profile, so its great for vegetarians.

Thing is, I felt sick later on last night and still felt nauseous up until nearly lunchtime today, but I'm not sure if it was down to the scary new food, or the mini-froyo binge i indulged in after, or what.

make sure you buy pre-soaked quinoa.

geckahn on
    edited February 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »

That's from the increased fructose level, which is not a positive.

geckahn on
    edited February 2011
    geckahn wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »

That's from the increased fructose level, which is not a positive.

Ditto. Technically, pure white sugar has a a lower glycemic index than rice. That doesn't mean that you can be healthier switching out all your rice with sugar.

The problem with the glycemic index is that it measures how fast the food in question is processed in your blood stream, but it doesn't measure how fast the food is processed in the liver, where it does a lot more damage. Obviously, the more that a food is processed in your liver, the less it's going to be processed in your blood.

Agave nectar is another scam. If you think that HFCS is bad, then Agave Nectar is a lot worse, in every possible way. HFCS is 55% fructose. Agave nectar is 80-90% fructose. The only advantage is that it's really expensive, so that people believe that it's healthier.

Schrodinger on
    edited February 2011
    coconut palm sugar supposedly has both a lower GI and lower fructose content then cane sugar. I've yet to use it though.

and yeah, agave is a huge scam. It's high fructose. It's like a naturally occurring super HFCS.

geckahn on
    edited February 2011
    coconut palm sugar supposedly has both a lower GI and lower fructose content then cane sugar. I've yet to use it though.

and yeah, agave is a huge scam. It's high fructose. It's like a naturally occurring super HFCS.

Except that it's not even really naturally occurring, because it's still a highly refined product.

Anyway, I just looked up palm sugar. I've bought it in the past for pad thai, but I never actually used it.

The taste of pure coconut palm sugar resembles that of brown sugar, yet with more rounded caramel and butterscotch notes, without the metallic ending flavor that brown sugar has. It has a rich flavor. For cooking purposes, it has a very low melt temperature and an extremely high burn temperature. This makes it a suitable sweetener for confectioners.

Does this mean that Palm sugar would be perfect for making flan?

Schrodinger on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    The Cat wrote: »

make sure you buy pre-soaked quinoa.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is, and I know about the need to remove the external saponins, but on rinsing they seemed to be already gone, and there was no bitter taste once it was cooked. Who knows though, maybe there were a few traces left in there.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can anyone help my solve my Vitamin Water mystery?

In the morning I drink a Vitamin Water Zero with breakfast. It helps me get some vitamins and much needed hydration. It has 0 calories per serving. It lists 4g carbs, < 1g sugar per serving. There are 2.5 servings per drink. This means that there are 10 carbs in the drink. This doesn't make any sense to me. Where are the carbs coming from if it is 0 cals? It doesn't list any fibre content. The ingredients list less than 1% stevia extract and natural sweeteners.

Am I really getting 10g carbs from this? If so I need to stop drinking it...

dzenith on
    edited February 2011
    Vitamin Water is terrible and unnecessary and you should stop drinking it.

Most of the Vitamins found inside it are the ones your body is already getting from food.

Schrodinger on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    dzenith wrote: »
    Can anyone help my solve my Vitamin Water mystery?

In the morning I drink a Vitamin Water Zero with breakfast. It helps me get some vitamins and much needed hydration. It has 0 calories per serving. It lists 4g carbs, < 1g sugar per serving. There are 2.5 servings per drink. This means that there are 10 carbs in the drink. This doesn't make any sense to me. Where are the carbs coming from if it is 0 cals? It doesn't list any fibre content. The ingredients list less than 1% stevia extract and natural sweeteners.

Am I really getting 10g carbs from this? If so I need to stop drinking it...

It's got sugar alcohol (erythritol, which I think is okay) and Crystalline Fructose, which is supposed to be terrible terrible stuff.

Also, FDA allow anything with <5 calories to be labeled as 0 calories. That's probably why they never give you the serving size = the full bottle, because then they couldn't call it 0 calories.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Evil GummyEvil Gummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Dunno if it'll pass for a dessert and not just a delicious awesome candy snack, but I like to make these lil babies.

Get some coconut oil, and some cocoa powder. Set up a double boiler, I usually just put a metal bowl on top of a little sauce pan of boiling water.

Put the oil into the bowl/double boiler, and watch it melt quick. Stir in the cocoa powder to taste, 2 tablespoons should do you if you have a half cup or so of oil. You can also stir in crushed nuts if you want!

Grab a mini muffin tin, and spoon the hot liquid into it.

Pop it in the freezer, and in 30 minutes you'll have sweet little chocolate cups!

Warning, these will haunt your dreams and you will want to eat all of them.

I think you might be able to just melt the oil in a microwavable bowl, and then mix in everything after that, too, if you can't do it on the stove.

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vitamin Water is terrible and unnecessary and you should stop drinking it.

Most of the Vitamins found inside it are the ones your body is already getting from food.

Yeah if you want a post workout "sports drink" go with coconut water.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys.

Looks like Gary Taubes is going to be on Dr. Oz.

Why do I get the feeling that there will be a lot of editing?

Also, I had a thought on gravys. Since you can't use starch to thicken gravy, I wonder if using the yolk of a boiled egg or two would work? Always did in gumbos.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
    edited March 2011
    Aren't there youtube videos of him and Dr. Oz already?

Dracil on
    edited March 2011
    Eteric wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Also, I had a thought on gravys. Since you can't use starch to thicken gravy, I wonder if using the yolk of a boiled egg or two would work? Always did in gumbos.

i once made a kind of roux out of carbquik and i think butter

it didn't taste amazing - carbquik tastes a little like sawdust and chalk powder - but it basically worked as a thickening base.

i've seen chopped boiled eggs in a lot of gravys. i would think they'd thicken things up.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2011
    Evil Gummy wrote: »

Dunno if it'll pass for a dessert and not just a delicious awesome candy snack, but I like to make these lil babies.

Get some coconut oil, and some cocoa powder. Set up a double boiler, I usually just put a metal bowl on top of a little sauce pan of boiling water.

Put the oil into the bowl/double boiler, and watch it melt quick. Stir in the cocoa powder to taste, 2 tablespoons should do you if you have a half cup or so of oil. You can also stir in crushed nuts if you want!

Pop it in the freezer, and in 30 minutes you'll have sweet little chocolate cups!

I think you might be able to just melt the oil in a microwavable bowl, and then mix in everything after that, too, if you can't do it on the stove.

is the coconut oil already sweet? how do you sweeten them?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Evil Gummy wrote: »

is the coconut oil already sweet? how do you sweeten them?

coconut oil doesn't taste sweet really, just coconutty, all the flesh is gone ya know? if you needed to you could add a tiny bit of something sweet

i have eaten coconut oil off the spoon when i put it in things though and it is tasty

i could imagine those taste pretty good though

i want to make them

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited March 2011
    Eteric wrote: »
    Hey guys.

You can use xantham or guar gum to thicken. It requires much experimentation

Carbalose flour works in a number of applications as well, but it has significantly more carbs than carbquick (19g/cup),which for most sauces is still fine
    Dracil wrote: »

Geez the first commercial is for United Healthcare

I already hate this guy

override367 on
    edited March 2011
    What's wrong with United Healthcare? (Never heard of them)

Dracil on
    edited March 2011
    My mom used to work for a subsidiary of theirs. Her job was to come up with plausible sounding reasons to deny people's health insurance claims that were over a certain dollar amount.

Not a fan of theirs

Edit: of course that's not what the job description was, but it became clear that's what the job was. The job was just to evaluate claims as a medical professional or some such, officially.

override367 on
    edited March 2011
    So I just read the blog entry. I like how he makes the point that the benefits from low-carbing are more appropriately framed as corrections to reach a normal state for humans.

Dracil on
    edited April 2011
    FYI, Taubes just posted his cholesterol results today. http://www.garytaubes.com/2011/04/before-sugar-were-talking-about-cholesterol/

Very good numbers, and his LDL is Type A (fluffy, good).

It's a shame he didn't have it for Dr. Oz's show though.

Dracil on
    edited April 2011
    So I had my wisdom teeth removed Monday morning, which means that I haven't had anything to eat or drink in 36 hours because I've been too scared of disturbing the healing process. The amazing thing is, I don't feel that hungry. I should be eating, but I don't have this gnawing in the put of my stomach.

I chalk that up to the fact that I've been making attempts to eat a high fat diet for the past few months and I gorged on fried chicken until I was ready to explode on Sunday night, so my body has learned to efficiently tap into my fat cells, even though I have a fairly low BMI to begin with. So yay for that.

My surgeon recommend that I eat pudding and yogurt, but both these things tend to be loaded with sugar. Not only do I do poorly when I eat sugar on an empty stomach (Which tends to be the only time that I do eat it -- when nothing else is available). Plus, I figure that ingesting sugar increases the possibility of infection. So instead, I asked my dad to pick up some pho broth with nothing else in it (which does contain some sugar, but not much), as long with some full fat greek yogurt. Hopefully, I can survive on this for the next few days.

As my gums heal some more, I might start adding mashed potatoes loaded with butter and heavy cream, which aren't exactly low carb, but at least they're sugar free. I do need to figure out a safe protein source other than greek yogurt, though.

Schrodinger on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    make some soup! soft scrambled eggs!

just dont drink things from straws (suction will fuck your shit up)

also i havent been hungry in a while errr i havent poo'd in a while... and i've been eating lots of fat
    the combo of those things... yeah

yesterday it was 9pm and i had eaten lunch at 1 and i wasnt hungry

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I had my wisdom teeth removed Monday morning, which means that I haven't had anything to eat or drink in 36 hours because I've been too scared of disturbing the healing process. The amazing thing is, I don't feel that hungry. I should be eating, but I don't have this gnawing in the put of my stomach.

I chalk that up to the fact that I've been making attempts to eat a high fat diet for the past few months and I gorged on fried chicken until I was ready to explode on Sunday night, so my body has learned to efficiently tap into my fat cells, even though I have a fairly low BMI to begin with. So yay for that.

My surgeon recommend that I eat pudding and yogurt, but both these things tend to be loaded with sugar. Not only do I do poorly when I eat sugar on an empty stomach (Which tends to be the only time that I do eat it -- when nothing else is available). Plus, I figure that ingesting sugar increases the possibility of infection. So instead, I asked my dad to pick up some pho broth with nothing else in it (which does contain some sugar, but not much), as long with some full fat greek yogurt. Hopefully, I can survive on this for the next few days.

As my gums heal some more, I might start adding mashed potatoes loaded with butter and heavy cream, which aren't exactly low carb, but at least they're sugar free. I do need to figure out a safe protein source other than greek yogurt, though.

Cream cheese. With or without cocoa powder, sugar-free strawberry syrup, etc.

wallaka on
    Alton Brown's cauliflower and cheese recipe is pretty good.

http://goodeatsfanpage.com/Season14/EA1421H.htm

Also, lately I've been experimenting with store bought flat breads to act as pizza shells. It's not truly low carb, but it's much lower in carbs compared to regular pizza, and it's fast, cheap, and convenient. Naan works really well, tortillas are also workable. I think I'm going to try corn tortillas as some point and see how that goes.

I found that Cash & Carry sells 5 pounds of shredded whole milk mozzarella for $11. Not the highest quality stuff, but it's a great price, since whole milk cheese are hard to find.