As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Next patch: Minstrels ascend to Godhood.

1565758596062»

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trolls with spinning shields are immune to all damage until their shields run out, kill all other mobs first. If it's just one you could run around.

You can change your soldier's vocation from the get-go. A warrior is pretty nice aoe damage, but you might want to pick a vocation with skills your champ doesn't have, like herbalist (heals), archer (single target dps) or bannerguard (buffs)

In general: champions are one of the more gear-dependent classes: dps depends on your weapons and survivability comes from your armour. If you're on Landroval you should pester your PA buddies to make you a nice set of armour and you'll see that your survivability shoots up. Also: focus on 1 target first. Although your AoEs are awesome you'll get hit by a lot of mobs until they die. AoE is something you can work in your rotation, but single target skills should not be forgotten.

Aldo on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The new dev diary for the newest raid is up.

this is a preview of one of the drops:

Cloak of Hwin
    390 Armor
    +56 Fate
    +23 Will
    +23 Vitality
    +6% tactical critic rating

I want.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    Trolls with spinning shields are immune to all damage until their shields run out, kill all other mobs first. If it's just one you could run around.

You can change your soldier's vocation from the get-go. A warrior is pretty nice aoe damage, but you might want to pick a vocation with skills your champ doesn't have, like herbalist (heals), archer (single target dps) or bannerguard (buffs)

In general: champions are one of the more gear-dependent classes: dps depends on your weapons and survivability comes from your armour. If you're on Landroval you should pester your PA buddies to make you a nice set of armour and you'll see that your survivability shoots up. Also: focus on 1 target first. Although your AoEs are awesome you'll get hit by a lot of mobs until they die. AoE is something you can work in your rotation, but single target skills should not be forgotten.

I did pick up a bunch of new gear with the skirmish points i got during the tutorial and the one round of defense of gondamon I ran. I was a little sad to see my purple one handed axe go, but the two handed greatsword I picked up vastly out numbered it with stats and damage. The other hand was just a sword i crafted for myself. Finally got around to picking up some heavy armor as well. Hopefully next time i won't be quite so squishy

wmelon on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i wish crafting in this game enabled you to make gear good enough to wear while leveling. sadly, most of it is vastly outdone by quest rewards.

i mean, i could grind my tradeskills in the valuable time that i would spend playing, but i think that would take even longer to do that than just level up and get to the next set of quests.

Feldorn on
    edited March 2011
    Feldorn wrote: »
    i wish crafting in this game enabled you to make gear good enough to wear while leveling. sadly, most of it is vastly outdone by quest rewards.

i mean, i could grind my tradeskills in the valuable time that i would spend playing, but i think that would take even longer to do that than just level up and get to the next set of quests.

I've honestly only been doing some as I quest around. I've got something like 100 low grade steel bars sitting in my bank vault waiting for some use.

wmelon on
    edited March 2011

Critted crafted stuff blows quest rewards out of the water, fyi. It's just a bitch to level crafting at the moment. Next patch is said to improve this to the point that it's useful again.

Aldo on
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What crafting are you doing? I've found that most of the time I get my best armour from metalsmithing. Every once in a while, I'll find some quest armour that beats out the crafted armour that I've made, but usually within a level or two I can make something better.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did pick up a bunch of new gear with the skirmish points i got during the tutorial and the one round of defense of gondamon I ran. I was a little sad to see my purple one handed axe go, but the two handed greatsword I picked up vastly out numbered it with stats and damage. The other hand was just a sword i crafted for myself. Finally got around to picking up some heavy armor as well. Hopefully next time i won't be quite so squishy

If you happen to be on Landroval, send a tell or mail to Sangred. I'll hook you up with something nice.

Operative21 on
    edited March 2011
    this was on my LM, who is exploerer. I've been saving stuff, most likely to sell or donate to the kin, but light armor crafter stuff never was that great to me.

i know that crit gear is great, but you won't be able to get that until you're probably 10 levels past it. this time around i was just saving all the crafting materials for later rather than dumping them into the tradeskill.

Feldorn on
    edited March 2011
    Midshipman wrote: »
    What crafting are you doing? I've found that most of the time I get my best armour from metalsmithing. Every once in a while, I'll find some quest armour that beats out the crafted armour that I've made, but usually within a level or two I can make something better.

I'm doing Armsman. I started with Armourer at first and switched when i realized I couldn't use any Heavy armor to start with. Didn't realize I'd be getting it later.

wmelon on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

For me it depends on the craft and varies by level; in jewelcrafting, until some recent quest sets, I was using mainly crafted jewelry (crits, but not the one-shots), and I still am on at least half of my guys. Light armour is a particular problem, as many of the recipes seem to be loaded with stats other than those most needed by the light armour classes; weaponsmithing can be similarly annoying, with some staff -- LM-only -- recipes loaded with melee-type stats and other similar annoyances (of course, quest rewards sometimes do this as well). There seem to be certain crafting tiers where the stats are mismatched with the classes that would most likely use the items; once you get past these bad patches, you often find more appropriate recipes at the next level. However, once you start getting set bonuses from quest rewards, it can be difficult for crafting to compete, except possibly with one-shot recipe crits.

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    edited March 2011
    Glornt wrote: »

For me it depends on the craft and varies by level; in jewelcrafting, until some recent quest sets, I was using mainly crafted jewelry (crits, but not the one-shots), and I still am on at least half of my guys. Light armour is a particular problem, as many of the recipes seem to be loaded with stats other than those most needed by the light armour classes; weaponsmithing can be similarly annoying, with some staff -- LM-only -- recipes loaded with melee-type stats and other similar annoyances (of course, quest rewards sometimes do this as well). There seem to be certain crafting tiers where the stats are mismatched with the classes that would most likely use the items; once you get past these bad patches, you often find more appropriate recipes at the next level. However, once you start getting set bonuses from quest rewards, it can be difficult for crafting to compete, except possibly with one-shot recipe crits.

yea, i don't have anyone working on tinkering yet, it was mostly the armor, my lvl 15 is still wearing some pieces from the intro :P

Feldorn on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wmelon wrote: »
    Did my first solo skirmish last night.

Are they supposed to be pretty hard at your level? I think I died about 10 times during the defense of gondamon and mathi died right after the last boss guy died. :(

You really want to make sure you pump a lot of skirmish marks into your soldier (read: herbalist :P) because it is by the capability of your soldier that your skirmishing success will be measured.

Also, I have mixed feelings about today's dev diary. On one hand you have this:

"You will wipe many, many times..."

On the other hand, NEW CONTENT YESSSSSSSS

On yet another hand (didn't know I had three), you've got spew like:

"Losing because you screwed up and can learn to do better next time is the path to fun. Overcoming a challenge because of your determination to learn and grow into a better player -- that’s the definition of fun."

So now Turbine and Turbine alone dictates what counts as "fun". The rest of us who only thought we were having fun are clearly teh stoopid. Maybe I'd find this statement less annoying if he'd chosen to say "that's one of the definitions of fun" instead of "THE definition". THE definition of fun is if I'm doing something and having a good time.

However:

baingrist.png

hubbubbuh hubbuh herpderp arglebargle WANT

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It has will. LM weapon.

IvanIssacs on
  • Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I bet this will change the usual pleasantness of the online community.

Shifty_Calhoun on
    edited March 2011
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    It has will. LM weapon.

:^:

but srsly. finally managed to find the time to log in and play a bit, working on the prologue and book 1 quests. i'm such a newb. still enjoying the LM though.

Feldorn on
    edited March 2011
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    It has will. LM weapon.

Man.

I dunno.

Hjar could use some more will.

Triple B on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    That's usually a consequence of eating too much chili; what does it have to do with LOTRO?

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    edited March 2011
    To be honest: half our wipes on Durchest came from seemingly random events. I was standing his arc for minutes without getting a single debuff while someone else would walk in and get 2 within 5 seconds.

And lets not get started on the finicky stupid stuff with CCs resists leading to wipes. If the game has a %n chance a skill resists this chance should not be difference between win or wipe.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011
    That's usually a consequence of eating too much chili; what does it have to do with LOTRO?

Oh-ho! A poop joke! Well-played, sir.

And lets not get started on the finicky stupid stuff with CCs resists leading to wipes. If the game has a %n chance a skill resists this chance should not be difference between win or wipe.

Agreed, and unless my reading comprehension is failing as I become more and more senile, this seems like what they're attempting to change with the new raid.

Triple B on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stick32 wrote: »
    Did my first solo skirmish last night.

Are they supposed to be pretty hard at your level? I think I died about 10 times during the defense of gondamon and mathi died right after the last boss guy died. :(
    Depends on your class, certain classes have an easier time of it than others. My Guardian has never had a trouble with skirmishes as long as I don't get to crazy, like try to fight off an optional boss and a large group of baddies with a lieutenant. Then again, Guardians are awesome from the moment of conception ;) .

That said though regardless of your class it sounds like your having a LOT harder time than you should.

You might want to be sure your setting it for a tier I solo skirmish when you create it. The higher tiers can be difficult and generally aren't worth the extra effort. Also, make sure you have all your skirm soldier traits equipped. If you still have trouble after that you might want to consider switching to a different skirm soldier. If your a soft squishy type might want to think about using a protector for your skirm soldier if you don't already.

If you want, I should be on this evening. Hit me up if you want some help on the skirmishes. I have a couple alts at the 20ish level. We can do a duo, and I can offer some tips/help with skirmishes if you want.

That'd be cool. I've just hit level 21 on my Champ. I think I may be a little under geared. The mobs that kept killing me were the big troll things that would have spinning shields around them. I forget what they were called, but I got three of them in a row.

My soldier is set up as a warrior right now, since the herbalist skills i picked up require level 24 :(

Make sure you are soloing the Skirmish, since trying to Duo / Group it etc greatly increases the difficulty without adequetly increasing the rewards.

The big Trolls (Daywalkers) are immune to damage while their shield is up, but not immune to CC. Which means that their shield is the perfect time to stun / fear / mez / root etc them.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited March 2011
    Well I picked up MoM over the weekend and rolled a warden. So far I'm really enjoying the way combat works with them. Updated the gear on my champ and made it all the way through the trouble at tuckborough without dying or losing anyone!

wmelon on
  • KassKass Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, is that patch going to drop soon? Any sort of festival starting up? I haven't played in about a week, what with work being crazy atm and deciding to give Rift a try (I've enjoyed it, though it might just be because it's something that's new and not-WoW). Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important (other that Hj's school/lib runs) while I'm occupied elsewhere. I WANTS MY PATCH, DAMNIT.

Kass on
    edited March 2011
    Well I picked up MoM over the weekend and rolled a warden. So far I'm really enjoying the way combat works with them. Updated the gear on my champ and made it all the way through the trouble at tuckborough without dying or losing anyone!

My Warden is my favorite alt. The in your face combo system is pretty damn fun.

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011
    Entaru wrote: »

Managed to get a great name for him with the randomizer too.

Hardman The Warden!

wmelon on
    edited March 2011
    Kass wrote: »
    So, is that patch going to drop soon? Any sort of festival starting up? I haven't played in about a week, what with work being crazy atm and deciding to give Rift a try (I've enjoyed it, though it might just be because it's something that's new and not-WoW). Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important (other that Hj's school/lib runs) while I'm occupied elsewhere. I WANTS MY PATCH, DAMNIT.

You're missing the maturation and advancement of my awesome RK! :wink:

But yeah, the patch will still be out "SOON".

Also. Gentlemen. My great and good friends. It's finally happening.

Triple B on
    edited March 2011

Yeah -- captain and LM have caught up with warden in terms of being my favorite classes, but warden is still the only class to have been at the top since it was introduced. Some people say that it's too much work to remember all the combinations, but there's a logic to the combos, and some that you don't use much (apart from spamming them to earn class deeds), so I find my warden the easiest one to get back into after being away for a while, and having really uncluttered quickslot bars is pretty nice, too. Captain also has fairly clean bars, with LM being at the opposite end of that spectrum.

Glornt on
    Glorntisms
    edited March 2011
    OK, who wants to make the next thread? I don't really feel like maintaining this one for the next reincarnation. As you can see I haven't updated it with any new info and it's so big I can't addd anything without deleting anything else.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011
    OK, who wants to make the next thread? I don't really feel like maintaining this one for the next reincarnation. As you can see I haven't updated it with any new info and it's so big I can't addd anything without deleting anything else.

I can do it once we hit 100 pages.

Triple B on
    edited March 2011

Yeah -- captain and LM have caught up with warden in terms of being my favorite classes, but warden is still the only class to have been at the top since it was introduced. Some people say that it's too much work to remember all the combinations, but there's a logic to the combos, and some that you don't use much (apart from spamming them to earn class deeds), so I find my warden the easiest one to get back into after being away for a while, and having really uncluttered quickslot bars is pretty nice, too. Captain also has fairly clean bars, with LM being at the opposite end of that spectrum.

I know the Kin might not need another tank but I am sort of tired of trying to like my RK and Minnie and none of the other classes really do it for me.

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011

Cool. Thanks man

Try and make a copy of the OP, last time the thread got locked before I got a chance to save it. I still have a .txt on my PC somewhere, but it's way easier if you just have your own copy.

Aldo on
  • Stick32Stick32 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

hmmmm... that sounds like a challenge....

EDIT: Damn posted 3 short of 100

Stick32 on
    edited March 2011

Cool. Thanks man

Try and make a copy of the OP, last time the thread got locked before I got a chance to save it. I still have a .txt on my PC somewhere, but it's way easier if you just have your own copy.

I actually....copied it to notepad a couple days ago, having noticed we were at 99. :P

Triple B on
This discussion has been closed.