As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Reach || Daily Challenge: Post in The New Thread, This One Is Done

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    SLASO run continues with Nightfall for the weekly.

Also the really easy "Link up with Bungie.net" daily is back again today for 3000cR

FyreWulff on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    SLASO run continues with Nightfall for the weekly.

Also the really easy "Link up with Bungie.net" daily is back again today for 3000cR

I assume there's no way to get that if you've already done it, years ago, back with Halo 2?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2011
    If you're already hooked up you just get the daily automatically when you go to search or complete a game (sometimes it doesn't trigger when searching)

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    Oh, well that's pretty neat!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was linked with Bungie.net for Halo 2 way back in the day, but now it is unlinked. Guess I'll take this opportunity to relink it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The random 4th person it matched us with quit, so it was just us three against the other team and they stopped playing the game for real. They just stood behind our spawn points and killed us as we appeared. If you cranked the stick over as you were spawning and wildly pressed the trigger you would maybe, maybe get a kill and get away. But usually you were dead as soon as you appeared. 5 rounds of that bullshit and I was done for that night.
    Hate to break it to you but the spawn camping in griffball was pretty normal back in Halo 3 on a few maps.
    Haven't played griffball in reach though.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    I dunno, whatever map this was, was just a big square, so there was nothing stopping them standing right behind us, and with the latency, almost nothing we could do about it. It's retarded design.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I dunno, whatever map this was, was just a big square

Oh, Griffball Pro: MLG edition.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    see that's the problem having a constant girfball playlist, people stop playing the game and become assholes to grind out challenges *coughcough*. i always prefer grifball evolved nowadays because ball-holding scaredy cats can easily be caught up to with evade.

anyways it sucks you had a bad time because grifball is insanely fun when played like a normal, slaptard-free game. some of our best matches are full parties of 8 of us going against each other, try joining our games sometime.

Local H Jay on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. I didn't have a lot of fun my first game of grifball because I was terrible at it and the people I was with didn't bother to explain the concept despite me asking several times. The second time going in, my friend said "It's like football, you gotta read your blocks" which doesn't help me much as I'm not huge into football but it gave me the gist of how to get it going. The first round, before our 4th quit and the other team realized what a huge advantage they had, I actually had fun as we were playing the game and we even almost scored a couple times. I'm certainly willing to give it another shot.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I always thought it was stupid that Grifball is in Halo 3's Action Sack, which was supposed to be a chill / funtimes playlist, and then there's Grifball, which everyone plays for serious reals leaguetimes even in Actionsack.

FyreWulff on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. I didn't have a lot of fun my first game of grifball because I was terrible at it and the people I was with didn't bother to explain the concept despite me asking several times. The second time going in, my friend said "It's like football, you gotta read your blocks" which doesn't help me much as I'm not huge into football but it gave me the gist of how to get it going. The first round, before our 4th quit and the other team realized what a huge advantage they had, I actually had fun as we were playing the game and we even almost scored a couple times. I'm certainly willing to give it another shot.

If you still have trouble with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmOzAE-CbLY

Bomb carrier gets special traits, has to get the bomb to the other end of the court. Hammers have huge range due to the lack of shields/health, and the ball carrier can usually melee contest any one hit face-on, sometimes two.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited March 2011
    Weekly done. Aw yeah.

FyreWulff on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Weekly done. Aw yeah.

Until Wednesday when you hold my hand through it.

joshgotro on
    edited March 2011
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Weekly done. Aw yeah.

Until Wednesday when you hold my hand through it.

Not necessary. I did it earlier today solo, too - Nightfall is the easiest level to cheese. The camo at the start of the level gets you through the majority of it, and then you can assassinate the Elite on the bridge where Jun plants the bomb, warp through the gate, swap to Sprint, and bam. Job done.

It's quicker without camo, but it's also a lot risker.

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    Wait.

There's camo? I thought there was just hologram.

That would make that part at the water tower instantly skippable.

FyreWulff on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, there's a camo. It's on the other side of the boxes.

Or maybe it was up by the dead bodies? I can't remember

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Wait.

There's camo? I thought there was just hologram.

That would make that part at the water tower instantly skippable.

Lower level, left-hand side, right at the start. And yeah, it does - that bit's the hardest part of the whole mission. I still ended up going round the right hand side to give me ample time to recharge it, though - simply because if you're moving at full speed they spot you anyway, so I crouch-walked and recharged in cover.

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    Willeth wrote: »

If you still have trouble with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmOzAE-CbLY

Bomb carrier gets special traits, has to get the bomb to the other end of the court. Hammers have huge range due to the lack of shields/health, and the ball carrier can usually melee contest any one hit face-on, sometimes two.

Oh, so the range wasn't just a function of latency? Still never managed to win a head-on contest, but that's good to know.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Best tip you could ever get for grifball:

Swing early, swing often.

Even if you see your hammer hit the ground, and make the kadoosh noise, it's possible the host didn't see it. Hell, sometimes I see shit happen different on my screen than it happens on TeaParty's screen, and we're on the same damn TV.

The best option is to swing early. It's hard to describe, but the way I do it is I try to imagine it that the hammer creates the force of gravity, and the gravity comes out and actually kills. So don't think of you hammer swing doing the damage, think of the hammer acting as the target for your soon to be invisible AoE attack.

So what I usually see on the screen is my swinging to early, and just as I'm pulling up my hammer, that's when the guy in front of me gets pushed back and dies.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited March 2011
    Kor wrote: »
    Best tip you could ever get for grifball:

Swing early, swing often.

Even if you see your hammer hit the ground, and make the kadoosh noise, it's possible the host didn't see it. Hell, sometimes I see shit happen different on my screen than it happens on TeaParty's screen, and we're on the same damn TV.

The best option is to swing early. It's hard to describe, but the way I do it is I try to imagine it that the hammer creates the force of gravity, and the gravity comes out and actually kills. So don't think of you hammer swing doing the damage, think of the hammer acting as the target for your soon to be invisible AoE attack.

So what I usually see on the screen is my swinging to early, and just as I'm pulling up my hammer, that's when the guy in front of me gets pushed back and dies.

Yeah, that's also been my experience. Lag does play into it as well, but it's a directed AoE as Kor described, rather than the hammer itself, that does the damage. Even if they're on the very fringe of it, they'll die, which results in a much larger range than expected and dying before you can get a swing off.

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    Does all skulls include the secondarys? Like the one that takes out your HUD?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    The Weekly Challenges do not require Blind since ONI Sword Base.

I'm seriously pondering starting work on Tip of the Spear right now so I can be sure I'll be finished by the time it's weekly comes around.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    The Weekly Challenges do not require Blind since ONI Sword Base.

I'm seriously pondering starting work on Tip of the Spear right now so I can be sure I'll be finished by the time it's weekly comes around.

The only problem there is that you miss out on any campaign challenges over the next fortnight.

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    I stopped going after those a long time ago :P

FyreWulff on
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I have never raged so hard before while playing Halo. I usually don't get that pissed off, but fuck. Tonight I played 3 (terrible) games before deciding to quit and just play some Firefight Arcade and blow shit up with rockets.

This was the game that started everything off badly: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=513614641&player=Dr%20Girlfriend

What I want to know is why the FUCK were two Sergeants matched up and put on my team? Ughh. I usually get Commanders and up.
    The thing that really pissed me off is one of the shitty guys on my team had the sniper for most of the game and got ZERO kills with it. That's cool that he got to it first, I don't team kill for not getting the sniper. But when he repeatedly shot the damn thing and I didn't see any kills popping up I started to get irritated. Meanwhile the enemy team's sniper was just wrecking our shit. By the time I finally got the sniper off my teammate's dead body I was able to kill the enemy sniper and then some but we ended up losing anyways.

Vee on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Protip: Military ranking has nothing to do with the hidden TrueSkill rating, which is how you are paired up with other players.

Military ranking is just based on how many credits you've earned, in other words, how much you play Halo Reach.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2011
    Wild Gueta often amuse themselves by tossing around forklifts when bored.

YEBbnl.jpg

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    Defiant ViDoc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpsqbTRYRD4

Unearthed looks like the new Lost Platoon, and I'm suddenly interested in it because of that. Vehicle Firefight has been kind of missing from Reach - the closest we have is Beachhead.

Willeth on
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Protip: Military ranking has nothing to do with the hidden TrueSkill rating, which is how you are paired up with other players.

Military ranking is just based on how many credits you've earned, in other words, how much you play Halo Reach.

Oh ok. Well then I guess the TrueSkill thingy sucked ass when it matched those guys on my team. I seriously doubt they had a similar rating to me and the rest of the players in that particular match. Just looking at their stats each guy has played 16 multiplayer matchmaking games total, one has won 6 games, the other only 3. Trueskill is based off of wins and losses right?

Vee on
    edited March 2011
    Vee wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh ok. Well then I guess the TrueSkill thingy sucked ass when it matched those guys on my team. I seriously doubt they had a similar rating to me and the rest of the players in that particular match. Just looking at their stats each guy has played 16 multiplayer matchmaking games total, one has won 6 games, the other only 3. Trueskill is based off of wins and losses right?

Yeah, but it's not quite as simple as that.

Basically, the game takes every result into account, but weights them based on an assumed average, an assumed small change rather than a large one, and an assumption that the more recent games are more relevant.

Willeth on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mmm. One week from today, new maps. :)

NeuralFizz on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone got half an hour. I would like to get the LASO weekly tonight.

Leitner on
    edited March 2011
    I would like to get the weekly tonight too. I gave it a go last night using the camo grab method, but couldn't get past that part where you come out from that first building and there's elites and grunts with turrets up above you. They kept spotting me.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Also, I tried to get the link my account to Bungie.net challenge last night, and couldn't figure out how to do it. There wasn't an option to link it anywhere. I'd been linked in the past (it let me change my nameplate to the one with the Halo 2 icon) so maybe it still remembered, but my challenge never showed up as having been linked. I did see in the FAQ that it can take up to 24 hours? But it seems weird to offer a challenge that can't be completed in the same day.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you're already linked, all you have to do to get the link accounts challenge is search for a game in matchmaking.

hailthefish on
    edited March 2011
    ah...
    Kind of wish I'd bothered to do that last night. I just dicked around in solo Firefight and working on LASO.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Just did the weekly. Watching the youtube videos helped. Driving the forklift was the hardest part. Still can't figure out how to steer them properly. Basically got lucky.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Out of curiosity, is there a master list of all the expanded universe media and what order they should be read/viewed in?

There's almost a dozen books now but I'm a bit confused as to what order I should read them in.

Same with the Halo Legends stuff. Not entirely sure where alot of that fits in.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Out of curiosity, is there a master list of all the expanded universe media and what order they should be read/viewed in?

There's almost a dozen books now but I'm a bit confused as to what order I should read them in.

Same with the Halo Legends stuff. Not entirely sure where alot of that fits in.

There isn't really any strict order canon wise you need to read them (only two directly follow each other).

Generally considered the best are Fall of Reach/Ghosts of Onyx (thematically follows Reach, which is worth taking into account)/Contact Harvest. But Reach would probably be ideal, as it sets up the Spartan programme and was the first ever published.

Oh, and don't read The Flood. Some in the series aren't very good books (hi Cole Protcal), but that is unironically is one of the worst books I've ever read. And I have read a lot of crap.

I'm still up for the Weekly, just throw up a time GMT over the next two games and I should be in.

Leitner on