As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SUUuuuUUPER MEAT BOY!] Level editor beta released on Steam!

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What was your overall time? I've got 100% but haven't redone every level to get a super time yet.

Also for some reason your text dump isn't showing the last two Cotton Alley darkworld times.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't done the last two Cotton Alley Dark levels...

Don't judge me.

Edit: I will add my overall time when I have finished watching this film.

Edit2: Not sure why all the warp worlds are 5 seconds. Maybe they don't work yet, I'll look at the site.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    I haven't done the last two Cotton Alley Dark levels...

Don't judge me.

Edit: I will add my overall time when I have finished watching this film.

I actually thought you had all the levels done but it had left them out for some reason. Silly me. XOXO was the single most annoying level for me. Until I stopped sprinting along the very top row, then it was just pretty annoying.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've done them both on the Xbox to be fair.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Total time added. 3407.19

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The two new XBLA internets chapters just went up.

The extra hard remixes are hard.

LewieP on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wonder if they're up in the US yet

I am gonna go find this out right now

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh god, more SMB levels

I shall play them tomorrow

Today was far too stressful to top it off with new SMB

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still need to beat the game!

Shit!

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wonder if they're up in the US yet

I am gonna go find this out right now

They are.

Jesus, I don't think they actually changed anything on the remixed Kid1... except that, since it's a Internets level, you *have* to do it as Meat Boy. fffffff

The Remix chapter should *so* count as Dark World levels for purposes of The End, IMO.

The other chapter I rather dig, though. Hard, but not ball-breaking so far.

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAH! is probably the most appropriately-named level thus far. :D

EDIT 2: OH HOLY FUCK I-4 (Bombs). D: That wasn't too hard, but it's a real oh shi- moment when you get going.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Team Meat's twitter linked a vid of someone doing that (The Kid's) level.

Just seeing the preview image made me shake my head in abject horror.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finished The Kid's level with Meat Boy (it's named Puberty, appropriately)

I actually beat it the very first time I got past the big drop with spikes on either side

The timing required to not hit any spikes, veer left and instant jump off that left wall without dying is a bitch

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally got around to trying the Teh Internets packs they uploaded. I really liked the first one, but I am of the opinion that the remixes are shit. Meat Boy is at its worst when levels take more than 20 seconds of precision to complete or require a bunch of keys. Guess what a majority of the levels are? I stopped at level 11 because I just couldn't take the key grabbing anymore. It's such a cheap way to make the level hard. Hurr hurr, let's make the player do the level three times! No, fuck that. I already did it once forward and once backward. Why do I have to go back again to where I just was? Also I couldn't beat the level with the conveyor belts on the wall. I tried and tried and I do not understand the mechanics behind it. Why do I sometimes keep my speed and sometimes I come to a dead stop when I switch tracks? It makes the level impossible because I'm counting on keeping my speed. When I stop I always die.

So basically I don't have fun with the remixes. I had fun with the rest of the game. That's why I got 100% in it. The remixes to me though just are not fun. I want more level packs like the others. Unique levels that are short but sweet and require very little key action. I want less 30+ second levels with keys that require traversing a level three times.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that's my big complaint too. It just feels lazy to make somebody repeat something a second or third time. Give me a series of different challenges any day. Keys should exist to force me to one area of the level to experience the hazards present there, not to make me repeat hazards I've already shown I can pass.

I'm on the one with the laser beams you have to perfectly (and I mean fucking perfectly) time right now and it's bullshit, because you have to get the timing precisely down to get to the side with the key, which I've only been able to accomplish once, and then the rest of the level is just getting back to where you started. Which means you have to get lucky twice.

Yeah, not enjoying that very much.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXcYw6_V6U

This is a pretty cool set of levels. Love the way it builds up. Can't wait to mess around with the level editor.

You ever notice just how much care goes into the main levels, particularly the later ones? Most of the time, there are subtle visual and auditory cues, that let you know where to jump or start/stop moving. It could be a bit of grass, a wall tile that's different from the ones around it, the point where a salt mound changes its arc, or the sound of meat boy hitting a wall. Everything just comes together so well.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I breezed through the first level of this game and instantly fell in love.

Bad news? I don't have a 360.

But, then I remembered, that I have a PC, 360 controller, and a 48inch T.V. attached to it! So happy times!

So, how is the PC version and how well does it scale up to 1080P?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't think it does scale up at all, I'm fairly sure it's native 1920x1080. The art certainly looks a lot crisper on the PC version than the 360 version for me, on the same display.

Edit: Is no one going to tell me how amazing my times are/how much my times suck compared to theirs?

LewieP on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well that's good news. Defiantly going to pic this bad boy up on the PC then.

I don't really have any times to report, but the group I was playing with was rather jealous about how I went through the first stage without dieing on my first try.

That's when I introduced them to 'I wanna be the Guy' and they all curse my name on a nightly basis.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They just updated their twitter with info from GDC:
    Meatmortem recap1: Wii and Wiiware canceled, but we are now 3ds devs so who knows what may happen!
    Meatmortem recap 2: Last 2 months of development were hell and xbla launch didnt go as planned due to underperforming Game Feast promo
    Meatmortem recap 3: Steam out sold xbla, we have sold about 400k copies to date.
    Meatmortem recap 4: the retail edition is almost done and will have tons of awesome extras http://twitpic.com/44u3ir

I've been on a break from the game for about 2 months. My fiancee has really gotten into it. She still hasn't beaten the game, despite owning it since December. She has over 27 hours logged according to Steam. I think she's trying to A+ every level before moving onto the next world, dark worlds included.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My overall time is 3454.977. I've only really replayed the first world trying to get the best times possible though so I could do better.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wii version canceled outright? Boo-urns.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah but HOLY SHIT 3DS SUPER MEAT BOY POSSIBLE

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The irony of "Yeah we couldn't fit it on Wiiware" "Oh wait here's a portable version. No problem fitting it there."

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the 3DS actually has more memory and is more powerful than the Wii.

Adus on
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I installed Windows 7 yesterday on my gaming laptop (why did I wait so long?!), but I forgot to back up my super meat boy save. So I've been playing obsessively the last two days to try to get my progress back.

In my old save, I was at The End with about 30ish bandages. Now I have the first 2 worlds at 100%, Factory at 98%, on Rapture with 65 bandages. Some of these earlier levels seem so easy after going through and replaying them!

However, I need kid 1 advice. Once I realized I should let go of X, I can make it to the second set of wall jumps on every attempt, but I cant get past it. Secrets?

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the 3DS actually has more memory and is more powerful than the Wii.

I don't know about memory, but it certainly has more storage. The Wii has 512 MB, while the 3DS comes with a 2 GB SD card.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SMB fits on the Wii no problem. It's WiiWare that's the issue, with its measly 50MB limit.

Seol on
  • Options
    GezGez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok there are 2 things that will make me get a 3DS now.

Super Meat Boy and Monster Hunter.

Still can't beat 6-5 Omega.

Gez on
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, stupid question time. (HOORAY!!). The level editor isn't coming for the XBLA version is it?

never-ending-reign on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have they mentioned the Mac port at all?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have they mentioned the Mac port at all?

Yeah, usually every time there's a update. It's still coming "after the level editor comes out."

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    bigblue12345bigblue12345 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I DID IT! 100% BABY 9778 deaths .... haha my god i'm proud of that, shit was hard...

bigblue12345 on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm considering buying a gamepad just for this. Which is the best? The x360 controller looks a little awkward for a platformer this simple.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm considering buying a gamepad just for this. Which is the best? The x360 controller looks a little awkward for a platformer this simple.

It works perfectly, IMO.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ArcturasArcturas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Get the 360 controller. It's awkward for the first 10 minutes or so, then a switch clicks in your brain and you get way more precise. The big downside is that your index finger turns into a mangled hook after a while, from constantly holding down dash.

Arcturas on
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arcturas wrote: »
    Get the 360 controller. It's awkward for the first 10 minutes or so, then a switch clicks in your brain and you get way more precise. The big downside is that your index finger turns into a mangled hook after a while, from constantly holding down dash.

Am I the only one that holds down x? I've played way too much mario to do it any other way.

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    VicWhiten wrote: »

Am I the only one that holds down x? I've played way too much mario to do it any other way.

I did on the Dualshock before I knew the shoulder button worked for dash. My finger sweats (and thus, residue) too much to hold a button down, so the trigger works a little better.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    ArcturasArcturas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    VicWhiten wrote: »

I did on the Dualshock before I knew the shoulder button worked for dash. My finger sweats (and thus, residue) too much to hold a button down, so the trigger works a little better.

I never played mario, so my pudgy fingers don't have the precision required to manage two buttons with one finger. Plus I pretty much constantly hold dash anyways.

Arcturas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I could tape the right trigger down and the only difference would be that my right hand would be slightly less sore after playing

Seriously, it's kind of weird that there was no option to make RT the walk button

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I could tape the right trigger down and the only difference would be that my right hand would be slightly less sore after playing

Seriously, it's kind of weird that there was no option to make RT the walk button

That's definitely one thing I don't understand. Or why he even has two speeds. Why not just full on full speed all the time? The only time I ever let go of dash was for "The Kid" levels.

Icemopper on