As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah - the full list of meetups that some leaders will be at is posted on the front post and on the website.

Heleor on
  • RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm amazed at the great moves Pokemon get at really low levels in B/W. Pidove (not-Pidgey) gets Roost at 18ish; Throh (not-Hitmonlee) gets Vital Throw at 15ish; Munna (not-Drowzee) gets Psybeam at 16ish; Sewaddle (not-Caterpie) gets Bug Bite at 12ish.

Regiment on
    I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Regiment wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the great moves Pokemon get at really low levels in B/W. Pidove (not-Pidgey) gets Roost at 18ish; Throh (not-Hitmonlee) gets Vital Throw at 15ish; Munna (not-Drowzee) gets Psybeam at 16ish; Sewaddle (not-Caterpie) gets Bug Bite at 12ish.

I'm more then halfway through the game and I've barely looked at a lot of the buildings in some of the cities...it'd probably be a really good idea for me to do that sometime soon. ^.^;;

I bring that up because I had completely forgotten about the two Himton-replacements and feel like I probably left them somewhere without getting them...

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)
  • humaneherohumanehero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm more then halfway through the game and I've barely looked at a lot of the buildings in some of the cities...it'd probably be a really good idea for me to do that sometime soon. ^.^;;

I bring that up because I had completely forgotten about the two Himton-replacements and feel like I probably left them somewhere without getting them...
    Nah. They're catchables right outside Pinwheel Forest, though they're a bit rare. Depending on your version, you can only get one of them in rustling grass, which is a pain.

I'm going to catch a few extra Throh's for people who have Black and don't want to try and catch them in the rustling grass. I know I don't want to bother with that.

humanehero on
    Pokemon White FC : 5157-2261-1679
    Steam ID : humanehero
    PSN : the78th
  • Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    Yeah - the full list of meetups that some leaders will be at is posted on the front post and on the website.

First post says:
    Friday: 4 PM, Handheld Lounge

But website says:
    Friday: 5 PM, Handheld Lounge

Which is it? My friend REALLY needs to know so he knows WHEN to take an hour off of work (He works at the BCM, which is just 15 minutes walk away).
    Yes, he is mega mad that he can't get the whole day off for PAX East.

Fetch26291 on
  • ArymanAryman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fetch26291 wrote: »

First post says:

But website says:

Which is it? My friend REALLY needs to know so he knows WHEN to take an hour off of work (He works at the BCM, which is just 15 minutes walk away).

He should just call in sick.

Aryman on
    360/PSN/Steam: Aryman104

Currently playing: MvC3
    Other games: SSF4, Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon HG, Magicka
  • ZombiewskiZombiewski New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Three badges into White, and +1 to the higher difficulty comment. Nothing that can't be overcome, but I'm not steamrolling every gym with the first three 'mons I picked up like in some other games in the series.

So far though...not enthused about the new Pokemon for the most part. Just aesthetic-wise, a lot of them seem like Pokemon-ripoffs. Eh, I'm sure I'll grow to like 'em.

Oh, and looking forward to the meetups. Maybe some peep's will be up for Little Cup battles with the new 'mons?

Zombiewski on
    Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    My NES blog and my Pokemon Snap tumblr.
    edited March 2011

First post says:

But website says:

Whoops, sorry. The website (and the Handheld Lounge thread) are correct in saying Friday at 5, Saturday at 1:30 and 4, and Sunday at 6:30.

Heleor on
    edited March 2011
    Having skimmed the new Pokedex, B/W don't seem to be aping D/P/Pt's ludicrously bizarre evolutions (Here's a rare Pokemon that's male 85% of the time and only evolves if it's female! Here's a Pokemon that only evolves if you level it up while knowing a move it never learns naturally!), but there are Pokemon that only evolve at ridiculous levels. The new not-Garchomp evolves for the first time at 50 and for the second at 65. That's a record. I don't think I've leveled 5 Pokemon to 65. Ever. Between six games.

There are those two Pokemon that only evolve when traded for each other, though. That's weird enough.

Regiment on
  • XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Whoops, sorry. The website (and the Handheld Lounge thread) are correct in saying Friday at 5, Saturday at 1:30 and 4, and Sunday at 6:30.

Wait, Friday at 6:30? isn't that the closing ceremony?

Xerlith on
    You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
    edited March 2011
    Today I received the final piece of my trainer outfit, and as such, I feel the need to post it! Be sure to look for me:
    188380_10150100989908862_743528861_6491830_2400575_n.jpg

I shall have my glasses on though along with blue jeans, rather than shorts. Based the outfit loosely off of the rocker sprite found in FR/LG:
    FL_Rocker.png

So look for me, and if you're brave enough, challenge me! ;) I shall be hunting the gym leaders down, but am glad to accept any battles from anyone in between. /ego

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited March 2011
    Xerlith wrote: »

Wait, Friday at 6:30? isn't that the closing ceremony?

That is after the closing ceremony, after the con itself closes. That's why it's held in a technically not-convention location.

Heleor on
    edited March 2011
    Having to hold off on getting Black/White so I have money for PAX East.

And as I'll likely not have enough left by end of Sunday, will have to wait until sometime that week to get it.

As long as I get it before April 10th so I can get the Liberty Pass download, it'll be good. (Liberty Pass needed to get Victini)

Got Black! Mom got it for me as a late b-day present (b-day was 2 weeks ago)

Snivy, I choose you!

Fetch26291 on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't like how there's a rediculous amount of grinding, but I'm digging the new games.

Also, I'll make sure I'm at every one of the meetups. The PPL meetups and the chiptune showcases are the two things I can't miss no matter what.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited March 2011
    I don't like how there's a rediculous amount of grinding, but I'm digging the new games.

Also, I'll make sure I'm at every one of the meetups. The PPL meetups and the chiptune showcases are the two things I can't miss no matter what.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but are you going to be the witch again this year? Last year, I first heard your screams on the second floor of the Hynes and I seriously thought someone was getting attacked somewhere. I was looking around frantically and everyone around me looked calm like nothing was going on. I thought I'd gone crazy. Then I saw you and I was blown away by how convincing you looked. I only managed to get a blurry pic on my phone before you ran off with a professional photographer dude to take photos. It was a highlight of my trip!

Anywho, my Pokemon FC is 5112 9361 6298 if anyone wants to battle right now! I'll add some people in this thread.

Aryman on

• SupahSupah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The not-Poliwag pokemon are tough to beat w/o snivy / blitzie >,<
    I'm enjoying black though =D I got to the 2nd gym and beat it

Supah on
    edited March 2011
    So... Heart Gold anyone? Eh? Eh?

Heleor on
    edited March 2011
    So... Heart Gold anyone? Eh? Eh?

are you looking for a fight? cuz im down

Aryman on

edited March 2011
    Can't fight you, I'm a leader. ;)

Heleor on
    edited March 2011
    Can't fight you, I'm a leader. ;)

oh? one of the leaders offered to battle earlier in the thread.

Aryman on

edited March 2011
    With her challenger team, if I remember correctly!

Heleor on
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to have to go to at least one of the meetups, if for no other reason than to have faces to put with some of the names here.

My team's set in stone. We're ready for PAX. Now to trade them to SoulSilver... and I only have one DS.

I'll find a way.

Regiment on
  • RappakRappak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quick question. Once we have a team, can we change it or does it have to be the same every time we battle?

Though, it maybe moot as I got sick over the weekend and threw off my entire schedule. I dont know if I can get a team ready in time. I'm going to try though.

Rappak on
    edited March 2011
    You can switch it up, but we'd prefer you use the same team - it's more epic. :)

Heleor on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can switch it up, but we'd prefer you use the same team - it's more epic. :)

If someone wants to train (8+4)*6=72 level 50 pokemon to customize their team for each leader, I'd say that's pretty epic too. :shock: :wink:

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to try and use the same team, but there might have to be a few switches. My team makeups are leaving me scratching my head and wondering what I did wrong. I think I'll have to go use that link again.

FoggyKnight on
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to try and use the same team, but there might have to be a few switches. My team makeups are leaving me scratching my head and wondering what I did wrong. I think I'll have to go use that link again.

Same. While I absolutely love my current team, I wasn't able to cover all of my bases with it, so switching between battles and hoping to get lucky is what I'll be doing...honestly, if I don't know what the opponent has, most of the battle comes straight down to me being lucky and having chosen the right pokemon. xD

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Same. While I absolutely love my current team, I wasn't able to cover all of my bases with it, so switching between battles and hoping to get lucky is what I'll be doing...honestly, if I don't know what the opponent has, most of the battle comes straight down to me being lucky and having chosen the right pokemon. xD

I am excited for me to forget some weakness/strength stuff and getting massacred. Haha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • WizMasterWizMaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OK, I think I can get my team ready. I just need to grind for some EVs and grind BP. Sure, that'll happen...

WizMaster on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    THE SHUCKLES WILL RULE TEH PPL

with heart

RainbowTunnel on
    edited March 2011
    My team is ready. No more than 2 of them are weak against the same element.

I should be able to handle 3 of the Leaders decently. (Like I usually get through the first 3 gyms of any of the games without much trouble). But the others... Here's hoping I run into the 3 I feel I can beat first. (Knowing my luck, they'll be the ones I WON'T get to battle)

Fetch26291 on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm 99% certain I've got huge weaknesses I'm not fully aware of. It'll be my first Pokemon battles against other grown up people ever - so I'm just looking forward to it as a learning and social experience. As long as someone gives me a pity badge so my son doesn't see me as a complete failure I'll leave happy!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The new not-Garchomp evolves for the first time at 50 and for the second at 65. That's a record. I don't think I've leveled 5 Pokemon to 65. Ever. Between six games.

There are those two Pokemon that only evolve when traded for each other, though. That's weird enough.

You just might have to for B/W. It's a serious step up from previous games. For example...
    The Elite 4 have pokemon in the 55+ range. After you beat "the game" the right side of the map opens up for you. The first trainer you encounter has level 63-65 pokemon.

Also, tonight is the last night before I pack up my DS and stuff. If anyone would like some battle practice with my competitive team for fun let me know.

cocowoushi on
  • SupahSupah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seriously? good thing Audino is in the game lol

Supah on
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    THE SHUCKLES WILL RULE TEH PPL

with heart

F*** YEAH HEART!

DanUNG on
    edited March 2011
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    The new not-Garchomp evolves for the first time at 50 and for the second at 65. That's a record. I don't think I've leveled 5 Pokemon to 65. Ever. Between six games.

You just might have to for B/W. It's a serious step up from previous games. For example...
    The Elite 4 have pokemon in the 55+ range. After you beat "the game" the right side of the map opens up for you. The first trainer you encounter has level 63-65 pokemon.

Hey, I'm all for high-leveling. I've just never really had to before (I haven't beaten Red in SoulSilver yet). If there's a reason to, I'll do it.

B/W do seem to be freer with training items (Lucky Egg, Macho Brace) though.

Regiment on
    edited March 2011
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    Also, tonight is the last night before I pack up my DS and stuff. If anyone would like some battle practice with my competitive team for fun let me know.

Hey I'm around for the next hour if you want to have a battle.

Or anyone else for that matter.

Aryman on

• NerdyHeritageNerdyHeritage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am looking forward to taking part in this almost as much as I am looking forward to the entirety of PAX east. That being said, "The Wise Man's Fear" and other real life things got in the way, and my flight is going to be spent in getting situated.

I am going to do my best to not swap between leaders, but I'm not sure that'll work.

NerdyHeritage on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS: 0775 9129 1567 Black: 3267 4422 1986
  • TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I seriously just learned about this a day ago and got pumped, and then I realized once I got to lugia I stopped playing because I didn't want to deal with the cave... and then I just kept not wanting to deal with it, so I caught it yesterday and now I'm just gonna... go train my pokemon somehow while I have black sitting in front of me going "Play me~ You're at the third gym~ Play me~ Catch a Scraggy~ You know you want to~"

Regardless if I lose every battle ever at Pax this should still be fun. I'm gonna be a bro and dress up as Silver(the rival) on saturday sp challenging a gym leader in that get up should be fun.

TheAsianKnight on
    Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So since us E4 will be doing nothing but twiddling our thumbs for Friday and Saturday, I'm going to be spending my time at the meet ups getting video of the PPL. I plan on interviewing not only Gym Leaders/E4 about the league, but also you challengers!

If you see a redonkulously handsome Canadian with blond hair sticking a camera into someones face, that's probably me. Come on by and say 'Hi' and I'll try to get you your fifteen minutes. I'll try to do what I can on Sunday, but I hope many of you will be trying to battle me for my precious badges.
    SAM_0374.jpg

Gameshark on