As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East D&D

• Options
    IndignantIndignant Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    At last years PAX I actually spent the whole three days looking around in awe at how cool everything was....and somehow managed to not play a single game. Of anything. This year I plan to remedy that by finally playing 4e. I haven't played a pnp game since I was a kid but I'm going to shirk my social awkwardness and dive back in the little end of the pool ( pick up a beginner game). I just purchased the core books yesterday and plan on cracking them tomorrow. Hopefully I will play an intro session and be up for more. So if anyone doesn't mind playing with some middle aged old dude who has no idea what the well he's doing, I'd be up for more playing. Besides going to a few panels I really want to concentrate on this stuff this year.

Indignant on
  • Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lucek wrote: »
    One idea I had was an Epic level battle. I've never run one and never played one but I'd be willing to run a level 30+ red dragon of I can get some level 30 PC's to fight it. Any takers?

D&D 4E
    Probably Friday night in the table top area.

I actually have the Colossal Red Dragon by WTOC. I have yet to bring it out for any campaign. I need to just run an epic level campaign sometime just so I can use it and the Orcus "mini" I bought. My groups tend to fizzle out before we can get there, with school and things people tend to get busy at some point.

That is far too common. An adventure path can take 2-3 sessions to level in 4E. Meaning it takes about a year of weekly play to get to epic level. In that time you have tons of chances to kill a game worst of which is the holiday season. If you have a gaming group that can game from November to January you have something to cherish. But what you get, man. Then again I've never been part of a game that's lasted 10 levels.

lucek on
  • Options
    Obsolete ModelObsolete Model Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had one last year from March until maybe September. It was a lot of fun and that is what counts. But... I went a little crazy with minis and bought almost everything, dragons, rares, aspects, you name it I probably have it. Sadly, most of it has never made it out. I think in all of that time they made it to level 8? We did have a few weeks we didn't get to play.

Next time I think I will start at heroic and work on some pre-made encounters and then try some epic. Just to get some practice as DM with higher level encounters.

Obsolete Model on
  • Options
    BoneriotBoneriot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    as far as epic campaigns go i've run a few and dropping into them can be a fun time

i have a campaign world i've been setting up but have been completely unable to find reference help with, any other vetted DM's who'd be willing to take a look at my papers and layouts at one of the open gaming times?

Boneriot on
  • Options
    ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Indignant, like I said before to others, I don't think many people are going to mind a rusty or new gamer. It's part of what PAX is about. I would certainly recommend the Learn to Play sessions being hosted by Wizards all Weekend. If you're going to be in line early for the keynote, you're welcome to join us for our line session.

Scorpius on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello fellow Paxers out there. I had posted last year that I didn't know if I could attend this year due to a family member's surgery (which took place last month).
    She's doing great and is now able to be out and about so I will be attending 8-)

I had mentioned last year that if I was attending this year I was going to try and put together some sort of system to let people know where GMs were sitting and what games they were demoing. Alas, it's too late this year to do that across the board.
    However, I am hoping to be able to put some kind of sign or notice up in the SJ booth to let you know where I'll be.
    I showed many of you how to play Munchkin, Frag, Illuminati, Chez Cthullu, and Chez Geek last year. I even tought a few people how to play Puerto Rico as well.
    If you're interested in learning any of those games or indiividual decks of the games (Munchkin, for example), please send me a PM. I will be happy to show you how to play.

Looking forward to a wonderfull convention and to seeing you all there.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Good news! I got the prizes in from StufferShack! I also got my official schedule for WotC.

If you want to catch me in the official Wizards area I'll be judging the Heroes of Shadow preview on Friday from 7 to 11, at the DM Challenge on Saturday from 7-11, and Learn to Play Sunday at 1-3 and 3-5.

I'm condensing the two Friday Stuffer Shack events into one, so if people want to focus on one over the other we can take our time, or possibly run it twice. There's still room in line at the Keynote.

Keynote Line D&D, Sponsored by StufferShack.com!
    Quick and dirty 4e D&D! No tactical maps, but old school graph paper and battles in our head. Great for rusty gamers, or just getting pumped for PAX!

When: Friday, 8:10 AM
    Meeting: Level 2 Lobby
    Character Level: 2nd (Pregens or bring your own)
    DM: Scorpius
    Players: Soco & Lime, BCBarney
    Backup:

StufferShack.com Presents!
    A pairing of tactical encounters featuring content StufferShack's Lizardfolk week. Face down the Speartooth tribe, manage your resources, and hopefully survive to tell the tale.

or

Face down the Lord of the Nine Hells, in this Epic Challenge from StufferShack.Com. It's a 4th edition update of the classic villain now god. You get one shot to take down one of the biggests of the bads.

When: Friday, 3:30 to 6
    Meeting: TableTop Freeplay
    Character Level: 6th and 30th(Pregens or bring your own)
    Players:
    Backup:

I've got small holes on Saturday and Sunday Morning. If anyone is running Pathfinder, Mouseguard, Fate or Mutants and Masterminds let me know!

Scorpius on
  • Options
    EvelynEvelyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Next year I might just sign up to DM a couple of sessions....I think I would really need to familiarize myself with 4th edition more, though, as all I've played was the beginner's session last year at PAX.

Would there be any extra books floating around in the TT room that I could just sit down and take a look at the rules and gameplay for a few hours? I wouldn't be a bother. I sit in corners and sip coffee quietly. =)

Evelyn on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I posted something earlier in this thread and it appears things have become rather more organised than when it started! This can only be described as a good-thing.

I offered to run a few games as a DM at the start of the thread, which I can still do. What I don't have is a scenario to run. I'm thinking I need something with maximum of 4 enounters. So if anyone is interested, I can probably rustle something together for a bunch of lowbie characters to have a bit of a blast in. It would be fun to concoct actually, I'm not sure what interest level I'd get though, hence posting here.

Oh this would be best on full D&D 4th edition rules and will have miniatures and tile-sets. Players will have to come with their own dice, but I will have pre-gens cooked up :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    LebruleLebrule Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    If we can get a twitter stream letting us know when and where 4E games are starting or when they are scheduled. That would be great. Anyone know how to do it?

Lebrule on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We could just agree on a hastag. Something like #PAXTT to cover all games needing players in the Tabletop area.

Scorpius on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Scorpius wrote: »
    We could just agree on a hastag. Something like #PAXTT to cover all games needing players in the Tabletop area.

I second this

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i'm all for that idea. me and my friends have designated sunday as "table top game day" and we will be looking for a D&D game to join in on.

but be aware, we've only played one game so far. we are incredible noobs.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate to be that guy... But this thread is getting a little long and the OP isn't updating...

Is there anyone (WOTC, RPGA, etc) that is running scheduled dungeon delves, and if so what is the schedule?

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    darren66 wrote: »
    I hate to be that guy...
    But ya' are, Blanche. :wink:

http://www.williburger.com/Schedule.pdf

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    PolynomialsPolynomials Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey there. Me and my gf are coming to PAX and I was interested in setting up a session with some people during one of the freeplay times in the venues. But it's only us two. We know DnD 4e, and we both have characters. I am a level 1 Paladin, she's a level 2 rogue. I also play a Ranger in another game.

Would anyone be interested in playing or DMing a game with us during this time? We also would be willling to learn some new rules or a new system if enough time was given, if 4e is too reviled by the general populace (as I have gotten the feeling that it might be? I dunno). edit: this is for Pax East of course.

Polynomials on
  • Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey there. Me and my gf are coming to PAX and I was interested in setting up a Would anyone be interested in playing or DMing a game with us during this time?

I might be down. My best friend, his girlfriend and I will be there and we'll be looking to play some D&D that weekend. We only know 4th Edition and right now we all have level 4 characters to give you an idea of our experience (or lack of).

Jerkfish on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey there. Me and my gf are coming to PAX and I was interested in setting up a session with some people during one of the freeplay times in the venues. But it's only us two. We know DnD 4e, and we both have characters. I am a level 1 Paladin, she's a level 2 rogue. I also play a Ranger in another game.

Would anyone be interested in playing or DMing a game with us during this time? We also would be willling to learn some new rules or a new system if enough time was given, if 4e is too reviled by the general populace (as I have gotten the feeling that it might be? I dunno). edit: this is for Pax East of course.

There is a vocal minority that bashes 4E. It's just part of the edition wars that goes on every time there is a new game out. However the majority of role players don't b***** about the newest version of any game. It's like how there's people bashing Microsoft left right and center but some how people still use it.

4E is a good tactical RPG with a moderately simple rule set and a fantasy setting. If you like that then there are plenty of people who agree with you. If not, then depending on what you dislike You could play 3.5, pathfinder, Shadow Run, Deadlands, Dread, Battletech, Call of Cthulhu, BESM, or any of the other games not listed here. Hell brush off GURPS, FUDGE, Savage Worlds or just make stuff up and make your own RPG.

lucek on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For those of you looking at lower level play, come check me out in the Freeplay Area on Friday at 3:30. The Lizardfolk Encounter is a fun, low-stress romp for level 6 characters. Bring your own or grab a pregen. You even get to walk away with a bit of swag from the StufferShack.com store. Free for all players. Never mind teaching or refreshing people with rules.

Scorpius on
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Scorpius,

My friend and I might well be in for the Keynote line game - have to check with him. I know we'll be there early for BYOC setup, then hopping in the Keynote line . . . I'll PM you once I get a chance to chat with him about it.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Absolutely. I'd love some more people for that. So far it's all rusty and new gamers so it should be entertaining.

Scorpius on
  • Options
    Justin_aJustin_a Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Greetings! This year will be my second year at PAX East. Last year I played a little bit of D&D 4e in the official WoTC stuff, and have been actually playing weekly at home with some friends since then! We've reached level 16. :D

But, I am coming again this year with a friend who has never really played D&D before... And I'd like to get some in this year, and get him involved as well.

Scorpius, will there be room for 2 more at your lvl 6 encounter? If so my friend and I would love to attend. I'll be sure to give him some pointers, and help him make a character beforehand so he won't be completely clueless... Though honestly I think people learn the most while actually playing.
    Let me know, either in this thread or a PM... whatever works. I believe I have email notifications set up, but if not I'll be checking the forums on a regular basis. Thanks! :)

Justin_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Justin, yup there's room! I actually don't have anybody signed up yet for that game. Don't worry though, I expect a lot of day of interest. :wink: So you're in!

I agree with you too. Especially with 4e, Learn by Doing is best.

Quick and dirty 4e D&D! No tactical maps, but old school graph paper and battles in our head. Great for rusty gamers, or just getting pumped for PAX!

Players: Soco & Lime, BCBarney, Khadour+1
    Maybe:
    Backup:

A pairing of tactical encounters featuring content StufferShack's Lizardfolk week. Face down the Speartooth tribe, manage your resources, and hopefully survive to tell the tale.

or

Face down the Lord of the Nine Hells, in this Epic Challenge from StufferShack.Com. It's a 4th edition update of the classic villain now god. You get one shot to take down one of the biggests of the bads.

Players: Justin_a+1 (Interested in Lizardfolk)
    Backup:

Scorpius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    LVL 30 Preegens:check2.jpg
    Big Angry Dragon:check2.jpg
    Story:check2.jpg
    Time:7:45 PM Friday
    place:Table top room on first floor.
    Players:Still accepting new players.

lucek on
  • Options
    BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I figure on spending a fair bit of time gaming, especially into the evenings.

I am prepared to run two games:

An adventure I can run in 4e or Pathfinder. I'd prefer Pathfinder, but 4e does seem really popular on this board. We'll see how it goes there. I will admit, 4e is much easier to teach people new to the game. As for the adventure, it's a slapstick kinda adventure. Heavier on props than most.

A Paranoia adventure. If you've never played Paranoia, you should give it a try. It's hilarious.

I can also see myself bringing out Burning Wheel, but that depends how things go. I love the game, but it's tricky to get new players into how it all works.

I will play just about anything that looks fun, though, and would love to try I've never done before. I haven't set anything up ahead of time, though, so I'll probably just hunt down players and games while I'm there.

And hey, want a part of something I have planned, let me know.

BeerNgaming on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For anyone that will be around i posted this in the thursday night westin activity thread but i'll be running a small 4e campaign for the night. i've got two people i know are interested, will be running a 5 person group that i'll allow people to die off/cycle out as their needs allow so that it can keep going and stay fluid through different people's schedules. i'll have premades ready though if you want to make a ll 1 with 500g worth of items and a good backstory i'd love to entertain it.

Boneriot on
  • Options
    BCBarneyBCBarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Players: Soco & Lime, BCBarney, Khadour+1
    Maybe:
    Backup:

Looks like I'm going to have to bow out of the Keynote line D&D. Some things that I want to do more than the Keynote are at the same time. I hate bowing out because I really wanted to play. Depending on how things shake out I try to get into your Fri afternoon game. I follow you on twitter so I'll try to hit you up on Friday if I can play.
    Otherwise I will try to find a game on Saturday as I don't (yet) have a fully planned Saturday.

BCBarney on
  • Options
    Justin_aJustin_a Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Cool! We'll be there. Also, we're going to be in Boston on Thursday at the Seaport if anyone wants to get together and play something. Don't think we've got anything else to do.

Justin_a on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bummer BC. You'll be missed.

Players: Soco & Lime, Khadour+1
    Maybe:
    Backup:

or

Backup:

Scorpius on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys,

The last two weeks have been COLOR="Red"]INSANE[/COLOR and I'm barely catching up on all things PAX. So yes, I realize this is a very last minute request.

I'm still looking for a friendly game of D&D. Sure, I could try my hand at the sign ups and everything, but I feel like trying here first instead. Most importantly, I want to make sure I play with people I never met who plan on having a few laughs along the way. This is the place to make new comrades after all! *

Things to know: This will definitely be a learning experience for me, though I have listend to almost all of the PA DnD podcasts. I also used to play a good deal of RPGs back in my day too. I'm willing to subscribe to DnD insider for the sake of making a few chars in advance so you won't have too. Just tell me what you need and I will fill in the spot. Obviously I have my dice so I will not soil yours with my cursed rolls.

The caviat: Like many other people I have a few "must do" things, and I know that most of my Friday will be occupied up until the evening. However, if I plan to do something with a group, I'm sticking to it.

Please PM me if you are looking for players!

* Even though I would have loved to have WotC guide my hand through my first real 4th game, I would rather deal with PAXers first.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It might just be me but that really makes no sense. The folks you'll be playing with at the WotC Learn to Play sessions ARE real PAXers, in the exactly same boat you are.

slamonella on
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    Hey guys,

The last two weeks have been COLOR="Red"]INSANE[/COLOR and I'm barely catching up on all things PAX. So yes, I realize this is a very last minute request.

I'm still looking for a friendly game of D&D. Sure, I could try my hand at the sign ups and everything, but I feel like trying here first instead. Most importantly, I want to make sure I play with people I never met who plan on having a few laughs along the way. This is the place to make new comrades after all! *

Things to know: This will definitely be a learning experience for me, though I have listend to almost all of the PA DnD podcasts. I also used to play a good deal of RPGs back in my day too. I'm willing to subscribe to DnD insider for the sake of making a few chars in advance so you won't have too. Just tell me what you need and I will fill in the spot. Obviously I have my dice so I will not soil yours with my cursed rolls.

The caviat: Like many other people I have a few "must do" things, and I know that most of my Friday will be occupied up until the evening. However, if I plan to do something with a group, I'm sticking to it.

Please PM me if you are looking for players!

* Even though I would have loved to have WotC guide my hand through my first real 4th game, I would rather deal with PAXers first.

if you're free on thursday night i'll throwing some stuff together at the west inn lobby pre night.
    with how things are looking i might actually be opening to an idea of 6-8 players with how i have the storyline set up i think i can rock it.

will most DEFINITELY not be a super strict or serious game. if someone walks away because they're laughing too hard or awestruck by what just happened, that's my goal.

Boneriot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    slamonella wrote: »
    It might just be me but that really makes no sense. The folks you'll be playing with at the WotC Learn to Play sessions ARE real PAXers, in the exactly same boat you are.

Good point, and now I realize I botched my post.

I meant to say that, although it would be great for my geek cred if I ever got play in an official WotC event, the real goal trip for me would be to play with the said peeps... I could certainly just show up and take my chances, I would rather start asking here because 1) It's the forum community which I've been posting with for the past several months and b) I may know just a bit more about what I'm getting into.
    Boneriot wrote: »
    if you're free on thursday night i'll throwing some stuff together at the west inn lobby pre night.
    with how things are looking i might actually be opening to an idea of 6-8 players with how i have the storyline set up i think i can rock it.

will most DEFINITELY not be a super strict or serious game. if someone walks away because they're laughing too hard or awestruck by what just happened, that's my goal.

That's too bad because I'm already booked solid that evening. I'm surprised (or am I?) to see just how many activities are going on on that evening! I bet that would have kicked off PAX just nicely :(
    I figure on spending a fair bit of time gaming, especially into the evenings.

I am prepared to run two games:

An adventure I can run in 4e or Pathfinder. I'd prefer Pathfinder, but 4e does seem really popular on this board. We'll see how it goes there. I will admit, 4e is much easier to teach people new to the game. As for the adventure, it's a slapstick kinda adventure. Heavier on props than most.

A Paranoia adventure. If you've never played Paranoia, you should give it a try. It's hilarious.

I can also see myself bringing out Burning Wheel, but that depends how things go. I love the game, but it's tricky to get new players into how it all works.

I will play just about anything that looks fun, though, and would love to try I've never done before. I haven't set anything up ahead of time, though, so I'll probably just hunt down players and games while I'm there.

And hey, want a part of something I have planned, let me know.

Last time I played Paranoïa, I think, was back when I was in college during the early 90s. Everyone kept dying. I think that was the plan. Or maybe I quoted something from the purple book that I was not supposed to know (again).

And our mission was pretty simple, we just had to reload the paper tray in some executive printer. Maybe someone should not have distributed Bazookas for the mission.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Look at it this way, no matter where you end up, you'll have fun :)

slamonella on
  • Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Scorpius - I'm totally down to play in the keynote line. I'd also be interested in trying out a Lvl 30 encounter, as I haven't played 4th much beyond 5.

That however would depend on how I go on signups, because I'm very keen to try out heroes of shadow, and don't want to spend the ENTIRE entirety of pax playing dnd like I did
    Last time. If I miss out (which seems very likely) id be down for the lv 30.

I'll be the large Australian in the slightly damp 'Prime' tshirt.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Smerk, I'll put you down as a maybe on each. It was my original intention to run both the Lizardfolk and Asmodeus, so of people are split when we all meet, I still see that as an option.

Frugus, thats a real shame about being busy on Friday, because I would have suggested the Lizardfolk. If you find yourself free, come see us!

A note about WotC and Learn to Play. I happen to know that the Fabulous SarahDarkMagic will be there in the morning each day. Not that I need to sell the experience, but if you can't have Scorpius *flexes* Sarah's not a bad alternative.

Maybe: Smerk
    Backup:

or

Maybe: Smerk (Interested in Asmodeus)
    Backup:

Scorpius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

or

Holy crap wait... I can totaly make it for this! Sign me up? PM me if you have a preference for a certain type of character to be played or anything of the sort.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bring any kind of, rules legal, character you'd like. Because these are short, the built in plot is light. I'm not discouraging interesting characters or roleplay though.

The Lizardfolk (6th Level) is a travel "random" encounter along an old trade road. The Asmodeus (30th) encounter is obviously for Epic Heroes only. You don't need to be good though. Most people have a reason to stop Asmodeus from taking over the known universe.

Maybe: Smerk
    Backup:

or

Players: Justin_a+1 (Interested in Lizardfolk), Frugus
    Maybe: Smerk (Interested in Asmodeus)
    Backup:

Scorpius on
  • Options
    BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    Last time I played Paranoïa, I think, was back when I was in college during the early 90s. Everyone kept dying. I think that was the plan. Or maybe I quoted something from the purple book that I was not supposed to know (again).

And our mission was pretty simple, we just had to reload the paper tray in some executive printer. Maybe someone should not have distributed Bazookas for the mission.

Sounds like Paranoia alright. Things will never go according to plan. Which is why Paranoia is fun. Well, also, fun is mandatory. Failure to have fun will result in termination.

BeerNgaming on
  • Options
    PiratecatPiratecat Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, I'm the admin over at the D&D messageboard enworld.org. I have no doubt that some of our folks (and some people from circvsmaximvs.org) will be running D&D. I'll check on details.

I also have one opening in a Paranoia game that I'm running Saturday evening, 6pm-10pm. It'd be pretty friggin' awesome if someone from here jumped in. It's also fine for someone who's never role played before; no rules knowledge is necessary, and while Paranoia isn't exactly what you'd call "cooperative" it is hilarious.

Also, blatant plug. I'm in two of the D&D panels on Friday, "D&D Edition Wars" and "the Rat Bastard's Guide to a Long Campaign." Come see us and heckle!

Piratecat on
This discussion has been closed.