As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Only 3 ATMs at the Convention Center

OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdieCa-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
The official PAX Twitter just sent out that the convention center has only 3 ATMs. This meteor of geekdom is going to slam into Boston and explode in a blast of piranhas, skeletonizing every ATM in the waterfront area in an expanding shockwave, except instead of piranhas they're geeks and they devour cash instead of warm flesh. I'm tempted to say they go dry around 8pm on the first day. Anyone care to venture guesses on how long it takes?

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
Onmitsu on

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How important is cash going to be at the con? Will it be difficult to pay with a debit/ credit card there?

UEAKCrash on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    How important is cash going to be at the con? Will it be difficult to pay with a debit/ credit card there?

I'd say cash is of medium importance. While it's not really a big deal at hotels or established eateries, If my memory serves me right, you get a decent mix of vendors who will take a card and those who only accept cash. The big risk, of course, is seeing something you can't live without, and then not having the cash to pay for it. Basically, I'd say your goodies-budget should be in cash.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll be grabbing the cash I'll need before heading to boston to avoid that.

lillb on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope Utilikilts take magical plastic cards :S, no way in hell am I carrying that much money and some in public.

Not without the Salmon Security team at least :P

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Not to sure who owns those ATM's but if their not a major bank expect HUGE fees for using them. :)

I suggest finding a ATM for your bank, if it is a bank in the Boston area, and getting money that way.

Last year if I'm not mistaken even some of the food vendors where cash only. So cash may be handy to have.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    My bank is very limited in location. I'm used to paying bank fees for withdrawls at this point.

If you ask me, any bank with "National" in the name should legally have to have branches in every state.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bank of America is everywhere in Boston. I'm all set. :)

Rdr on
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just gonna leave this right here...

http://bit.ly/pax-atms

MagnifiedX on
  • Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    Bank of America is everywhere in Boston. I'm all set. :)

Nearly as many of those as Dunkin Donuts, but not quite.

Certain.shade.of.green on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well I was going to buy a copy of Monopoly and use the money in that. After all, no one will tell the difference will they? Perhaps not...

In all seriousness, I tend to get cash out at my hotel or some such. I don't want to use my credit card, especially as it relies on chip'n pin security to work!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    good thing im bringing cash already, i usually only use plastic but from previous events like this I always put aside cash from each paycheck

blAAAm!!! on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will also be pulling out cash prior to taking the train on Thursday (2 days!), but I don't plan on taking a huge wad with me, for several reasons. Safety, obviously; but also if I really want something more expensive than my cash on hand, I like to give myself time to think about it instead of impulse buying. ATMs are so ubiquitous at this point that I'm generally not worried about missing the chance to buy X in the time it takes to go procure cash.

Hopefully I can plug my bank without sounding too much like an advert. My checking is through Charles Schwab. There aren't really any physical locations for me to visit, but I can get cash out of any ATM in the country (maybe the world?? don't know) and Chuck will reimburse me whatever the fee is. Makes traveling around the country for work a lot easier. However, it's only worth it if most of your income is via direct deposit (mailing a physical check from grandma once in a while is tedious but bearable - if I had to mail a check monthly or bi-weekly, it would probably outweigh the convenience). Also, if PAX is about the extent of your travels away from home base, probably also not worth it. Just a thought if your situation is like mine - travel once a month or so for work, plus trips to DEFCON, PAX, etc.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    You should be able to find ATM's surrounding the area pretty well. The BCEC isn't really away from too much, though it's not in the center proper like the Hynes is. All told, I *think* it'll be a different experience. The Hynes was more about levels, the BCEC is a little bigger per floor.

Omegasquash on
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i played poker last night in an attempt to win some spending money for pax. EFFORT SUCCESSFUL!!!! made $70 off my $20 buy-in, woot!

that said, I will probably hit up an ATM at the airport before I head over to the waterfront area.

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • poisonxpoisonx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i'll bring play money see if anyone notices if i try to use it lol

poisonx on
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MagnifiedX wrote: »
    I'm just gonna leave this right here...

http://bit.ly/pax-atms

Sadly the first ATM on that list is not going to be available to most PAX-ers. It's inside a federal building, and access is very controlled. Only way you're gonna be able to use it is if you have an ID issued by a federal agency, and proof that you belong to said bank.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    My bank is very limited in location. I'm used to paying bank fees for withdrawls at this point.

If you ask me, any bank with "National" in the name should legally have to have branches in every state.

Hehe ... i agree.

But chances are the fees on the ATM in the center will be much higher than those outside.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • CyantCyant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Canadian banks gave us more US $ than what we gave them in Canadian $ so we got our money before going to PAX ! =)

Cyant on
  • Jordan the hoboJordan the hobo Bristol, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Its boston so there should be atm(s) ALL OVER the city. Just look in a direction just about any place will have one

Jordan the hobo on
    XBL:Jordan the hobo
    PSN:Jordan_the_hobo
    STEAM:Jordan the hobo
    TWITTER:Jordanthehobo
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And this is why I keep all my money in Animal Crossing Turnips.

DanUNG on