As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

15678911»

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    10am through around 8 or 9pm.

We wont be there the whole time reg is open on Thursday but should be there for most of it.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BigRed wrote: »
    There is no BYOC-freeplay combined tourneys.

Robot Unicorn Attack?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited March 2011
    There is no BYOC-freeplay combined tourneys.

Robot Unicorn Attack?

Prime != East

Plus its unlikely I am doing that again.

BigRed on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know if I should post this here or in the main Questions thread, but here goes. I procrastinated getting my gear for the BYOC shipped. Between not having packing materials and needing guaranteed shipping, it ended up being more convenient for me to just order a brand new monitor from Newegg, set to be delivered to the hotel in my name. I got this for $159: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001463

Is there anyone local (or non-local who doesn't mind hauling/shipping it home) that would be interested in buying this monitor at the conclusion of PAX? I'm thinking that I could part with it for $125. You'd basically be getting a brand new 23" Samsung, with box and all the materials (including the invoice from Newegg). The $35 is the tax I pay for being stupid (and is, if I recall, a couple bucks cheaper than the round trip shipping was quoted by Fedex). Seems like a pretty good deal for a nice monitor to me (and you can verify that it is functioning/no dead pixels before you even take it).

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited March 2011
    MAJOR SUPER AWESOME (lol) LAST MINUTE UPDATE TO THE UNLOAD AREA FOR FRIDAY

Email going out:
    A minor change of plans!

The idea of playing frogger with shuttle busses spooked the building people, so now they're asking all byoc people to drop off their gear in front of the North Lobby. This is the entrance under the huge overhang that stretches over Summer Street...believe me, you'll know it when you see it!

Inside we'll have a station set up where we'll hold your computer and monitor (no accessories, please) in a secured zone so you can park your car and come back for your equipment. We'll also have carts at the ready to help you get it from the lobby into the pc room. Just leave the cart with the BYOC Desk as you register your gear into the room, and you're good to go!

This is totally optional, but you should find it much easier than hauling your gear from the parking lots, although be warned that we'll only be running this from 8am to noon on Friday. Beyond that, you're on your own!

Sorry for the late change of plans, and see you soon!

Heres a handy dandy map!
    equipmenthold.jpg

Yeah this kinda sucks but we are trying to make this as easy as possible.

BigRed on
  • hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good news, everybody! I've finished the configuration of my minecraft server, and have successfully imported NotHanz's BCEC model into a mostly-empty map! Here's a screenshot of the starting world (though, if I get a bit of free time between now and Thursday, I might blend the edges of the BCEC area a bit better with the rest of the world): http://images.wookieefive.net/byocraft/initial-map.jpg

Spawn is under the overhang at the north end of the BCEC.

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is the minecraft server going to be running any mods?

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ahh, yes! It's running bukkit, and has the following mods:

-Essentials
    -Permissions
    -Minecart Mania (Core, Chest Control, Sign Commands, Station)
    -dynmap
    -Stargate
    -ServerEvents (tweets when things happen like people joining, leaving, and dying)
    -Big Brother (I don't expect any griefing what with us following Wheaton's Law, but it's there for rollbacks just in case)

Since we only have three days, I've defined a few kits to speed things up, too: One kit for each of the diamond tools, each usable once every 30 minutes. A "Stargate" kit - 10 obsidian and 1 sign, usable once every 2 hours.

Monsters will be off on Friday and Saturday. They'll be turned on for Sunday.

Max 32 players.

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
  • jrdobbsjrdobbs Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Email going out:
    A minor change of plans!

The idea of playing frogger with shuttle busses spooked the building people, so now they're asking all byoc people to drop off their gear in front of the North Lobby. This is the entrance under the huge overhang that stretches over Summer Street...believe me, you'll know it when you see it!

Inside we'll have a station set up where we'll hold your computer and monitor (no accessories, please) in a secured zone so you can park your car and come back for your equipment. We'll also have carts at the ready to help you get it from the lobby into the pc room. Just leave the cart with the BYOC Desk as you register your gear into the room, and you're good to go!

This is totally optional, but you should find it much easier than hauling your gear from the parking lots, although be warned that we'll only be running this from 8am to noon on Friday. Beyond that, you're on your own!

Heres a handy dandy map!
    equipmenthold.jpg

So we just pull up in the front and park there while we unload all our gear and bring it inside the lobby. We fill out some forms and you secure it there. We then go back out to our cars and park in the rear lot. We then take the shuttle back to front lobby, get our badge, pick up our gear from the secure area and bring it to the BYOC area.

Couple of questions:
    Will there be staff outside to assist moving from car to lobby? Any carts? Who will ensure the cars are not towed while we are inside for a few minutes?

Thanks

jrdobbs on
    Get Slack

JR
    edited March 2011
    jrdobbs wrote: »

Email going out:
    A minor change of plans!

Heres a handy dandy map!
    equipmenthold.jpg

So we just pull up in the front and park there while we unload all our gear and bring it inside the lobby. We fill out some forms and you secure it there. We then go back out to our cars and park in the rear lot. We then take the shuttle back to front lobby, get our badge, pick up our gear from the secure area and bring it to the BYOC area.

Couple of questions:
    Will there be staff outside to assist moving from car to lobby? Any carts? Who will ensure the cars are not towed while we are inside for a few minutes?

Thanks

You wont be towed while there :) (this whole process shouldnt take more than like 5min honestly)

We will just give you a claim ticket to pick your monitor/keyboard up and will tape the other ticket to your equipment (no paperwork required). Just dont lose the ticket!

After you park just bring your claim tickets to us in the north lobby and fetch your things then go check into BYOC at the PC Security desk in front of the room (Yeah I know, possibly multiple lines but theres no way around it).

Yes we will have little carts for you to haul stuff with, give them back to us at BYOC so we can run them back to north lobby for others to use.

BigRed on
  • jugernughtjugernught Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    :shock: In regards to a case mod, I have done a mod. Not like a character mod, but I am sure it will get some discussions started and turn a few heads.

By the way anyone have a small crane I can rent, :twisted: just kidding.....

jugernught on
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    jugernught wrote: »
    :shock: In regards to a case mod, I have done a mod. Not like a character mod, but I am sure it will get some discussions started and turn a few heads.

By the way anyone have a small crane I can rent, :twisted: just kidding.....

Awesome, got any pics?!? :) I love seeing an active modding scene.

Mine takes up a full 20x36x24 steamer trunk with packing, accessories, and monitor.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No case mod pictures? :(

What is this I don't even

My case mod wears a seat belt lol

thorkon on
    edited March 2011
    :wink: Just 2 words Extended Ascension ! O_o

jugernught on
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

This? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWBrNRrXnU

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
    edited March 2011
    :twisted: Pretty close, although, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a verticle motherboard. Wasn't condusive to the SLI setup I am running...........

I would post a video, but don't have an site to put it on....

jugernught on
    edited March 2011
    :shock:

Ok Figured it out .......

watch?v=yQaOgCifb0o

watch?v=2HVBN6c7wO4

jugernught on
    edited March 2011
    jugernught on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This?

Put fans in every slot, toss it up in the air, and it'll gently float down... or propel itself through the windows of the BCEC and into the bay below... ROOOOOCKET SHIP!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • NatsirtNatsirt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Email going out:
    A minor change of plans!

Heres a handy dandy map!
    equipmenthold.jpg

If taking a cab, should we have him drop us off under the big awning (as seen in the map) or back by the BYOC room where we were originally going to play shuttle bus Frogger?

Natsirt on
    edited March 2011
    Natsirt wrote: »

Email going out:
    A minor change of plans!

Heres a handy dandy map!
    equipmenthold.jpg

If taking a cab, should we have him drop us off under the big awning (as seen in the map) or back by the BYOC room where we were originally going to play shuttle bus Frogger?

Have them drop you off at the north lobby under the huge overhang.

BigRed on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does this count for a mod: I brought all my MLP:FiM MCD Toys and will be setting them up at my table.

crucial information

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hi everyone, it's almost PAX time!

BYOC Attendees: If you are in Boston TODAY, Thursday the 10th, you may pick up your BYOC badge at Registration from 10 AM to 9 PM. After 9, you'll have to wait until tomorrow at 8 AM to get your badge when you check in your PC.

MagnifiedX on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My buddy and I just got our BYOC badges number's 9 and 10, ready for tomorrow!!!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Security just told us we can't use the taxis stand area for unloading and made us leave.

ransim on
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We had the same problem - wound up having to take carts out into the parking lot. Fortunatley, the rain has stopped temporarily, which made it a bit easier . . .

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just came here to thank the awesome BYOC Enforcers for another year of splendid work. I feel bad I wasn't able to game really, but there is indeed a PAX is going on outside the room :)

Also thanks to the enforcers for letting people take pics of my case mod! And especially to the one who was conducting a interview in my place. I haven't been able to find the vid online yet but I'm gonna keep looking :D

thorkon on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    thorkon wrote: »
    Just came here to thank the awesome BYOC Enforcers for another year of splendid work. I feel bad I wasn't able to game really, but there is indeed a PAX is going on outside the room :)

Also thanks to the enforcers for letting people take pics of my case mod! And especially to the one who was conducting a interview in my place. I haven't been able to find the vid online yet but I'm gonna keep looking :D

^This

Thanks guys, you did an amazing job keeping BYOC secure and I think all of us are very thankful of your efforts! I'm looking forward to attending BYOC again.

ransim on