As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gran Turismo 5]: The Real Cash Cow Simulator (Spec v2.0 and DLC out)

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gray or not, I love how that matte black looks.

Metalbourne on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish you could preview it before you slapped it on though.

Icemopper on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oooh the Nissan looks nice. Love the primer look of the NSX paint job. Man, now I want to go buy more cars just to paint. Wish they made a stripe paint job that would let me paint my Mustang to look like Eleanor.
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I wish you could preview it before you slapped it on though.

I agree with this. It was annoying looking at that shape and wondering how it will look like on the car.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    That Nissan is damn pretty. Also, the in-race save games - that's pretty awesome news. I might actually complete an endurance race.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finally found a used car today with over 350,000km on it to get that trophy out of the way.... didn't think i'd ever find one.

Also, got my Superbird that i've been pining for and have shared it accordingly

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
    edited March 2011
    I like how the 9 hour B-Spec endurance gives around 180,000 credits, while 9 hours of remote racing can net around 600,000 credits.

The experience is about the same, I suppose. It is hard to tell.

Icemopper on
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wow once your b-spec guys hit level 20 they start gaining exp like molasses

DJ Cam Cam on
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    wow once your b-spec guys hit level 20 they start gaining exp like molasses

You should have saw what it was like before the experience increase. It was painful.

kyleh613 on
  • The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So the newest online events... (Spoiled for those who like surprises)
    World Classic Car Series, 1969 or older, five repeatable races for payouts between 60K and 70K. Not bad races at all, but for a decent challenge, you will have to use a weaker car, as muscle cars tend to be overkill.

The Listener on
    edited March 2011
    Ha! I beat the Nardo!
    Nardo.jpg

FFFFUUUUUUU
    Vantage.jpg

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    Finally beat the FGT championship with all golds in B-spec... changed to a different setup and short pitted with about 10 laps left in the Indy event, sure enough, none of the AI drivers had to pit so I would've been horribly fucked again had I not short pitted and caught back up and passed them with 5 to go.

Now for the last bastion of hell before all that's left is endurance... NASCAR B-spec

HooverFan on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Finally beat the FGT championship with all golds in B-spec... changed to a different setup and short pitted with about 10 laps left in the Indy event, sure enough, none of the AI drivers had to pit so I would've been horribly fucked again had I not short pitted and caught back up and passed them with 5 to go.

Now for the last bastion of hell before all that's left is endurance... NASCAR B-spec

I left NASCAR pretty late, so that my guy was nice and over-levelled, then just mashed the 'go faster' button. Maybe there are better ways to do it, but that worked for me and was less awful than trying to do it properly.

AnteCantelope on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GT Academy 2011 is now live!

Unfortunately for Australians, the competition is not open to us.

The Anonymous on
    edited March 2011
    Beat NASCAR with all golds yesterday and have already done the first 3 endurance events... Indy 500 is next on the plate.

Of course, it would've been more exciting had the lvl 21 gift car ticket I got not been another fucking NASCAR ride after just beating the damn championship with one. I have yet to get one decent fucking thing from gift tickets.

HooverFan on
    edited March 2011
    I think the best I've ever gotten from one of those tickets was a Veyron.

Everything else so far has sucked.

The Anonymous on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GT Academy 2011 is now live!

Unfortunately for Australians, the competition is not open to us.

Unfortunately for everyone else, it's in a Fairlady Z. I remember when they released the demo for the last Academy; didn't seem to matter if I approached a corner the same way I did the previous lap, I still had no idea whether it would actually take the corner perfectly, spin out, or go straight on.

Basically, imagine if the Elise was bipolar, and it didn't try to kill you half the time. Except, you have no idea which half any particular corner will belong to.

EDIT - I am one lucky SOB. My drivers just finished the 24h Nürburgring race, completing all the Endurance races. The race prize was a McLaren MP4-12C... but the Lv.24 Gift Car Ticket I got from completing the Endurance races?

It gave me a Ferrari F2007.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited March 2011
    That is quite fortunate indeed. Did you not have one for those seasonals?

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    Nope, had to borrow a friend's F10 instead, and he didn't have Racing : Soft tyres, much to my annoyance.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited March 2011
    yeah, the lvl 24 ticket can only be one of 3 things from what I understand... F10, F2007, FGT (which would be the suckiest thing EVER)

HooverFan on
    edited March 2011
    *checks list of cars*

Huh, guess you're right; the rest of the top-of-the-range race cars are level 23, so I guess I'm more lucky in the sense that I dodged a bullet rather than got something awesome.

It also means I'll have to hope I get the F10 from the A-Spec ticket, which will probably be after they patch in mid-race saves.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    This game really is getting legitimately better. Polyphony has been releasing a lot of patches and trying hard to listen to player feedback and incorporating those idea's into the game. So if you gave up on GT5 in frustration last year, you should really come back and give it another try.

Ok, I'm giving it another shot. This Bspec thing intrigues me. I've created a Driver and started doing some races with him already. Add my PSN to the list, please!
    ID : Wraithverge
    Region: Canada

Edit: Sorry, missed the request about putting your region in there.

Wraithverge on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone have any advice for bspec drivers, endurance races, and their strength? just seems to be a crapshoot for most of the time.

deveric on
    edited March 2011
    I just give them the Red Bull X2010 and let them have at it... Maybe the Formula GT?

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I just give them the Red Bull X2010 and let them have at it... Maybe the Formula GT?

well by 2/3rd of the way through they are all out of strength for me, who knows, maybe it doesn't really matter.

deveric on
    edited March 2011
    Even if you have the auto pit strength turned off, they'll pit in when either their tyres are shot, or before they run out of fuel. Although, sometimes they do have a brain fart and decide to do a 1-lap stint for no apparent reason... which is still better than having them do 1-lap stints for half the race because of the auto pit strength. The one thing I will say is that the faster cars, like the Formula GT and the X2010, drain strength a lot faster than, say, a GT-R, probably because of the increased G-forces.

Just ran a 14 car NASCAR race between everyone's highest level drivers (and my lowest... but given he's almost the same level as my other five, it doesn't really matter):
    daytonaremote060311.jpg

Just over 3 seconds covering the top 12, and I think there had been at least 8 different leaders, including both Picards, Moss, Kobayashi, Chaney, Athanasiadis, and I think van Dijk too. I thought Leeroy had jumped the gun when he took the lead on lap 24, expecting him to get passed on the back straight of the final lap... only for him to take the first corner about 10 mph faster than anyone else. There was a bit of rubbing between him and Chaney as they crossed the line, though... :D

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited March 2011
    Damn it G.Fleming, DRIVE FASTER!

Don't make me take you offline and drive your career into the ground.

The Anonymous on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In my mind everyone is bunched together on the backstretch on the final lap, and right before the turn you ear a loud
    LLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYY JJJJJJJJJJEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIINNNNNSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

come over the radio as he speeds past everyone else to take the win.

SmokeStacks on
    edited March 2011
    X.Yang is my best driver, X.Wang just likes to constantly keep whatever car he's driving planted firmly in the car in front of him's ass... which I guess explains why his name is WANG

Just because he was my first driver and has one level over everybody doesn't mean he's the best.

HooverFan on
    edited March 2011
    I've had all of my drivers off (well 4) since I'm in the last row of endurance races now. Gonna start the first 24 hour one in a bit here. yee haw

deveric on
    edited March 2011
    I figure i'll start the crappy suzuka one as well as the one after that here in the next couple of days and just let them run while I sleep during the day since i'm working the next 2 nights

HooverFan on
    edited March 2011
    I've been running the 9 hour race while I've been at work since it gets the most experience for the time. I might do another today, I suppose.

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    My roommate's kid brother came by today to hang out for a while. I was playing GT5 and he said "that game looks cool". I asked him if he wanted to try it out, and he said yeah, so we fired up a little two player action.

The starting lineup for our first race, at Autumn Ring. He originally chose a mid range car, so I chose the F150. He changed his mind immediately when he saw the Kart.

AutumnRing_5.jpg

He is miraculously able to pull ahead, but we both somehow make an error just after turn 1.

AutumnRing_4.jpg

We trade a little paint in the corner, he is unfazed:

AutumnRing_3.jpg

I attempt to draft,

AutumnRing_2.jpg

which goes horribly awry.

AutumnRing_1.jpg

In a stunning upset, he is somehow able to take the win. Race experts are still unsure as to how it happened. I suspect mechanical trouble.

AutumnRing.jpg

For our second race at Monaco, he chooses a truck.

CtedAzur_4.jpg

So do I.

CtedAzur_3.jpg

I manage to take advantage of his crash to thread the needle.

CtedAzur_2.jpg

He manages to retake the position, but the win is in jeopardy after another contact with the wall.

CtedAzur_1.jpg

Miraculously however, he is able to swing out in time to sail away for an easy victory. I barely see him in the distance as I roll toward the finish.

CtedAzur.jpg

For our next race, we pick cars that are a little closer together in power. Mine is black, his is Crimson.

TheTopGearTestTrack_2.jpg
    Unfortunately, the results of this race were...

TheTopGearTestTrack_1.jpg

TheTopGearTestTrack.jpg

Inconclusive.

SmokeStacks on
    edited March 2011
    I was out of town this weekend so couldn't run any races. Sorry guys for not returning all the racing favors. Love the NASCAR results though, L. Jenkins always kills my racers when I use him. Makes me die of laughter when I watch the race.

SmokeStacks, those pics kill me! I love the first race though. Makes me want to race my father-in-law now and use the kart to see if I can beat him.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My roommate's kid brother came by today to hang out for a while. I was playing GT5 and he said "that game looks cool". I asked him if he wanted to try it out, and he said yeah, so we fired up a little two player action.

Awesome photo essay. Would read again. :^:

DoW2: Retribution claimed most of my vidja game time this past weekend (although I did run races from the same PC's web browser Saturday). I gotta get to the new races!

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2011
    Just golded the Monza X2010 trial on a DS3, with no TCS, and controller sensitivity turned up to 4.

Nothing is impossible. Nothing.

The Anonymous on
    edited March 2011
    In other news, it turns out that Anon is actually Johnny 5.
    Congratulations, dude. That is some serious skill.
    Betsuni wrote: »
    SmokeStacks, those pics kill me! I love the first race though. Makes me want to race my father-in-law now and use the kart to see if I can beat him.
    ironsizide wrote: »
    Awesome photo essay. Would read again. :^:

Thanks.

The only thing to remember about the Kart is the top speed is fairly low, but acceleration and handling are top notch. You'd have to find a course that was pretty small and curvy.

I wish GT5 had Motor Sports Land from GT2.

SmokeStacks on
    edited March 2011
    Just golded the Monza X2010 trial on a DS3, with no TCS, and controller sensitivity turned up to 4.

How? edit: Even running through the corners (cheaply) where possible I can't get close!

In other news, I apologize for not running everyones B-Spec's as much, since during the day/night, I've just been letting my guys do endurance.

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    The only thing to remember about the Kart is the top speed is fairly low, but acceleration and handling are top notch. You'd have to find a course that was pretty small and curvy.

I'll remember this when setting up the race. Thanks.

So where does one do these 2 player races? I'm trying to learn where to set them up for the next time he comes over to visit us. I am secretly trying to convince him that he needs a PS3 and GT5. Got him convinced that the PS3 is a good Netflix machine, now just trying to sell him on GT5 and the two player racing would probably seal the deal.

Also does it have the kart tracks in the 2 player race mode?

Edit: Also where does one get those in-race pics? Are they taken during the saved replay/replay?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited March 2011
    Betsuni wrote: »

I'll remember this when setting up the race. Thanks.

So where does one do these 2 player races? I'm trying to learn where to set them up for the next time he comes over to visit us. I am secretly trying to convince him that he needs a PS3 and GT5. Got him convinced that the PS3 is a good Netflix machine, now just trying to sell him on GT5 and the two player racing would probably seal the deal.

Also does it have the kart tracks in the 2 player race mode?

Edit: Also where does one get those in-race pics? Are they taken during the saved replay/replay?

I believe the kart tracks can be used in multiplayer, yes.

And screenshots are taken during replay, also yes.

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011

I'll be more impressed when you manage the same on Nürburgring and Suzuka (and stealing whatever settings you have :)), but even so, great job!

BlitzAce1981 on