As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need a free DVD exporting program (was: Need a Free Audio Editing Program)

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Updated with a new issue: Need a program to export completed video to DVD; see post #5 for details.

Original Post:
To keep this short, I need to import some CDs, then edit the tracks down to shorter sound clips, possibly looping some. Basically, to create ambient music for a video being the desired end. I need a good free audio editing program and need suggestions. I could likely find one myself, but I wouldn't know about the quality until I used it, and I figured with the vast array of knowledge in here, some people could offer suggestions on good freeware and/or GPL programs. I'm running WinXP Pro, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Dalboz on

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just audacity, actually -- rip the CD to .wav file and then edit that directly. the MP3 step is unnecessary for your purposes.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah, for free your best choices are usually Audacity or ffmpeg, possibly with some sort of front end on ffmpeg. I'm not sure about using ffmpeg to get audio from a cd, I've only used it once I've already got it in mp3/wav/whatever format.

Jimmy King on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Audacity worked great! Thank you all very much. I now have a new problem that is related, which is why I don't want to make a new topic to clutter up the board.

After creating the videos with the edited audio, I need to export to a DVD (as in regular DVD format, playable in a DVD player). However, the video editing program I'm using is my really old copy of Adobe Premiere 6.5, which is old enough that it doesn't appear to export to DVD (DVD was around for a few years at the time it was released, but DVD-Rs were not common yet).

So, what I now need a free program that can create/encode the finished video to DVD format (if it even turns it into a disc image to be burned to disc, that's perfectly fine; in fact, probably better as it would save a step). I know there are plenty out there, but I would prefer some recommendations for those who have used them, like the recommendations for Audacity. Thanks, everyone!

Dalboz on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I seem to remember Premiere 5 being able to export to DVD just fine when I was in high school. I can't really help much beyond that, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!