As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beyond Good and Evil (HD)! XBLA and PSN. On sale for 200msp on November 28th

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't know this was going to be $10

Sold, just queued it up

Also hurray for forced subtitles! Well, at least till people figured out how to turn them off

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I loved this game. Shame my backlog is so long. :(

Whatever happened to the sequal anyway? This game ended on such a cocktease.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Man, I loved this game. Shame my backlog is so long. :(

Whatever happened to the sequal anyway? This game ended on such a cocktease.

It's being made now (apparently).

There was a teaser a while back.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does the internet code feature still work? I put mine in but didn't get a code for the Akuda bar locker, just a bunch of stats.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just started this game, it's incredible.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Bought this today, love this game and never finished it on PS2, and y'know I can't help but feel this game was meant to be longer. Just considering how many of the pearls are purchasable and how,
    When you go to the IRIS hideout after the factory the game just gives you a bunch of them. Seriously, here's four pearls now go buy them from everyone else. the hell? I wanted to go through some dungeons for those

The parts where the game just starts throwing pearls at you is probably left over from
    The massive cuts they had to make to the game to get to release. IIRC, you were actually supposed to visit multiple planets during the game, hence there not being much to the Hillys "overworld" since it was probably originally designed to just serve as a hub for that planet's quest/dungeons. The final game just has you use the space engine once, to go to the moon.

They probably had a number of pearls budgeted out when all the other planets were there, and had to find places to stick them when the game was brought back to a finishable scope without messing with the early game balance and pacing.

Also note to everyone: save at mdisc stations whenever you have the opportunity. Because all of you will want to make a separate save after doing the
    Running across the rooftops Matrix style

part.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Am I the only one who noticed that the 'box' art is art from BG&E2?
    Pey'j has his coat from the end of the game and a bandage over his left hand

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It works in some games (Sakura Taisen wouldn't be just that without it), but it's serves little purpose in this one..it's a 3D game with changing expressions, and the portraits never change. Plus, the timing sucks.
    Aren't subtitles intended for people who are hard of hearing or outright deaf? I could see some utility in including the portraits.

The portraits must be to compensate for the fact the timing sucks.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I promised myself I'd never pay money for an avatar item… but goddammit, this Pey'j avatar pet may be the best thing ever.

$3 (Dollars! Three of them!), but... I might have to.

rufo on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Does the internet code feature still work? I put mine in but didn't get a code for the Akuda bar locker, just a bunch of stats.
    To get the locker code you must not only enter your internet code, but play the little Flash password-cracking game that subsequently becomes available. Then you get the code.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    To get the locker code you must not only enter your internet code, but play the little Flash password-cracking game that subsequently becomes available. Then you get the code.

What locker is this exactly ?

Edit: Is it for a pearl ? Because I got all 88 pearls without doing this.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    towards the end, I just kept playing and forgot about the darkroom. I really enjoyed it and I'm someone who hates stealth games. I can only imagine playing this in ~2002

rabblerouser on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Am I the only one who noticed that the 'box' art is art from BG&E2?
    Pey'j has his coat from the end of the game and a bandage over his left hand

It also looks like they are going to be all pissed in that one as well.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just beat this game for the fourth time. Man this is good. Too short, but it really gets me pumped for the eventual sequel.

Rucio on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Only problem with the port I've seen so far is they didn't port the GC/Xbox/PS3 camera for the hovercraft sections later on, but it's the PC version's camera, which for some reason tries to act like the stealth sections, and has no analog input for the full spectrum of movement.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes. The sequel.

/me rocks back and forth.

It's on the way. Yes.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm really impressed with the great job they did on this port. I was expecting a lot less from Ubisoft after the rushed HD upgrade of the Prince of Persia trilogy. But everything here looks wonderful, and more importantly, it looks really clean and moves at a stable rate. I only played the PS2 version before this so I'm being wowed.

I really hate the character design of Pey'j, though. Ugh. HD doesn't fix everything sadly.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hating Pey'j?

The worst opinion

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    He's like Zeke from Infamous

Except even more annoying because he's an anthropomorphic pig

I only really tolerate that shit in Disney films, elsewhere I find it really offputting, especially next to the simple but classy design for Jade

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pey'j is awesome. He says corny things all the time, but it suits him. He reminds me of my girlfriend's grandfather.

edit: No. Zeke is just awful. Nothing like Pey'j.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Beyond Good and Evil has been a favorite game of mine for years. It seems to be kind of a cult classic among gamers, because it didn't do well commercially. I mean, among my circle of friends, I think I'm the only person who's ever played it. I'm really looking forward to BGE2, and I'd really love to play through the original again without having to plug my GameCube back in.

Although, I know I'll end up with that "Mammago Garage" song stuck in my head again.

Goddamnit.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, aside from the song that plays in hovercraft races/the air hockey game, all the music has been really great so far. Love the "Propaganda" song in the bar.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is this going to remain a XBLA exclusive or is there an estimated release date for PSN?

NovembersChopin on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is this going to remain a XBLA exclusive or is there an estimated release date for PSN?

Its coming for PSN, but it sounds like Ubisoft doesnt have a set date for it yet.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Going to the Slaughterhouse
    (Spoilers)
    AHHHHHHH that action scene where they're attacking you in the hovercraft was intense. Now I'm just trying to fight the camera and deal with the mines.

Oh, and: (not a spoiler)
    OUR RACERS HAVE THREE SECONDS TO GET OFF THE TRACK AND BACK TO THEIR KNITTING! :x

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hating Pey'j?

The worst opinion

Glal on
  • Options
    AllUrBaseAllUrBase Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Based on all the good things people were saying about this game I straight up downloaded the full version.

I'm sure the game is great but the controls tilt me like hell.

The game has options to use inverted controls for look and camera, but it inverts both axises.

I can't get a configuration that I can play with. If I play on 'normal', the Y'axis is wrong and if I play 'inverted', the X-axis is wrong.

Grrrr....

AllUrBase on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am really enjoying this, but it says I'm already almost 50% complete and I've only found like 10 pearls.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It is a short, short game, even if you're going for 100% completion.

It's not some sprawling 80 hour epic quest, it's a few hours long with some lovable characters and an engaging art style, and for that it shows more originality than a majority of the stuff on the market.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't know this was going to be $10

Sold, just queued it up

Also hurray for forced subtitles! Well, at least till people figured out how to turn them off

FWIW, I downloaded the game a couple of days after it came out and my subtitles weren't initially on.

Loving this runthrough. I forgot how cleverly designed the Factory was.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Neither were mine, and I even bought it and started it the day it came out. I'm actually a person who prefers subtitles on in my games. So I hit start and it was easy to find. I don't understand how it was so easily missed before.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, I've run into an annoying glitch that I don't remember from the first game and I'm not sure what to do.
    I'm in the cave where you kill the domz monster who has a pearl. I got it and now I'm leaving but where you first fight some monsters, the music starts playing that you hear when you're in a fight and Pey'j sticks around and keeps saying "Say the word, Jade." And when I try to leave I can't because he isn't in the hovercraft.

anoffday on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So "my code" is the internet code right?

EDIT: Apparently not in-game. I put it in correctly on the website, but I didn't see anything but a stat page...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    Where's the flash game? I can't find it.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just bought this game and played for about an hour. Really liking it so far, and I've never played it before. Really excited to finally be playing it!

Igort on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can listen to this game's soundtrack for ever.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love the little triumphant snippets, like when that walrus reveals his stash of news discs.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As much as I'm enjoying finally getting to play this..

I've had the game freeze my xbox three separate times in three different areas. Couldn't even bring up the dashboard menu. Only lost about 15mins of progress each time but still annoying.

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Anyone else run into the problem I have above? Because I literally cannot progress now and I'm screwed if I can't figure out a fix.

anoffday on