As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic Events at Pax East 2011

13»

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    A good friend and coworker just admitted that he was crazy about Magic the Gathering. He explained the basics to me and I fear I will become completely and utterly hooked by this game as soon as I get my hands on a deck and some boosters.

I'm still going to give this a full try at PAX (I have yet to manage some time to play a game, even on the computer)... But I'd like to know the following:

1- If I do happen to love this game, at what level could/should I equip myself at PAX direct? Are there full collection box/series than can be bought? Might as well ask what typical prices I should expect for star sets and the like. <-- NoobGoose

2- For my friend, is there anything awesome (Magic related of couse) that I could expect to find and bring back as a surprise souvenir from WotC?

1) This is a Collector's Card Game, which means wizards will never, ever sell the full set. You have to buy booster packs or individual cards to get a full set, which takes a lot more money than you think it will. The most popular format is called Standard, and a deck with the best cards can cost anywhere from 300 to 800 dollars, depending on which colors you're playing.

I recommend you start out with drafts or buy an intro deck and learn to play that way. Remember, this is an EXPENSIVE hobby, at least until you have an extensive collection. Once you've got a good collection going, you can just trade for cards you need most of the time.

2) I have no idea about souvenirs, though I am interested in this as well.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • crowtalescrowtales Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Remember, this is an EXPENSIVE hobby, at least until you have an extensive collection.

I'll point out that if your gaming crew doesn't get crazy with this, it's quite possible for it to be non-expensive. You don't need to collect a full set. Fat Packs and Builder packs are great ways to get a good start of cards for relatively cheap, and then augment it with the occaisional booster, etc.

Our crew does a booster draft every year as a really cheap way for everyone to build a new deck and see the new cards, but we rarely buy much else past that. (personally, I buy some boosters periodically, but little else)

anyway, just wanted to throw out a quick counter-thought.

crowtales on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    1- Thanks for the updates guys
    2- I love numbered lists
    3- You guys kind of lost me at "Standard". So it's not as simple as buying a starter deck (I thought there was only one) and then buy those foil booster packs?
    4- Got it for the no go on full collection sets. I just spoke with my colleague and he told me it's possible (if you really want to) to buy boxes of boosters for something around 200$ . Is he more insane than I think him to be? I guess I just want to recreate the feel I had from buying that full collection box of Illuminati (I miss that game and I still have it tucked in somewhere).

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • ittybittybuddhaittybittybuddha Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    3- You guys kind of lost me at "Standard". So it's not as simple as buying a starter deck (I thought there was only one) and then buy those foil booster packs?

- There are Starter decks that will fit into what is considered a "Standard" format
    -There are multiple themed starter decks which vary in play style. I suggest picking up a few and seeing what style you like (attacking with lots of creatures, hitting with spells, technical tricks, etc.)
    - This format consists of the most recent expansions (past 6 and the yearly starter set)
    - Foil booster packs consist of 15 random cards, 10 commons, 3 uncommons, 1 rare and a land
    - this will help expand your collection by buying more
    -

4- Got it for the no go on full collection sets. I just spoke with my colleague and he told me it's possible (if you really want to) to buy boxes of boosters for something around 200$ . Is he more insane than I think him to be? I guess I just want to recreate the feel I had from buying that full collection box of Illuminati (I miss that game and I still have it tucked in somewhere).

- booster boxes consist of 36 packs. Buying them in a box is usually cheaper than buying single packs, but your friend is correct, they can be upwards of $200

-

ittybittybuddha on
  • superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Only older, out of print booster boxes cost that much. You can find whatever the most recent expansion is, and usually a few back from that, online for 90-100.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • spyriousspyrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For my friend, is there anything awesome (Magic related of couse) that I could expect to find and bring back as a surprise souvenir from WotC?

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/news/030311a&dcmp=ilc-mtgrss

Wizards gives out a special "convention" version of a common throughout the year. This is the one they will be giving out at the Wizards booth.

spyrious on
  • FiftyvoltsFiftyvolts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GHoooSTS wrote: »
    Hi guys, my name is Andy and I run CommanderCast, a podcast about EDH/Commander. At PAX East I am going to be looking for other Commander players to talk to, possibly interview/photograph/videotape for the podcast's upcoming content, and of course am generally looking for other EDH gamers to sit down and sling cards with. If you have never played Commander/EDH before, I will be on site with multiple decks and am happy to teach new people the format. I am also considering doing some kind of unofficial EDH Box Social event in a free play area, but I don't know who might be interested in that.

I am so excited about Commander at PAX. I made two decks about two months ago but I haven't had an opportunity to play either yet! I'm going to try and hit every commander related event to get my fill at PAX.

If anyone know of any Boston area EDH/Commander groups I'd be interested in throwing down some time before/after PAX.

Fiftyvolts on
  • ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just got back into Magic and we have tried out several booster drafts tournaments. Will you be running any of those at PAX? Either way, I am really looking forward to hanging out with other Magic fans!!!

Zakky on
  • ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zakky wrote: »
    Just got back into Magic and we have tried out several booster drafts tournaments. Will you be running any of those at PAX? Either way, I am really looking forward to hanging out with other Magic fans!!!

Think I just found my answer on MTG link. Any idea on how many rounds will be played during the booster drafts. 8 person min....do you play a couple of rounds with the deck you build or is it single elimination?

Thanks!

Zakky on
  • GHoooSTSGHoooSTS Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For those interested in a Commander/EDH Box Social, how does meeting in the Tabletop room after 9:00pm on Friday sound? If we have enough peoples, we can always organize some more stuff for later on in the convention as well.

GHoooSTS on
  • MangoProjectsMangoProjects Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spyrious wrote: »
    For my friend, is there anything awesome (Magic related of couse) that I could expect to find and bring back as a surprise souvenir from WotC?

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/news/030311a&dcmp=ilc-mtgrss

Wizards gives out a special "convention" version of a common throughout the year. This is the one they will be giving out at the Wizards booth.

Thanks for the information. I will head to Merman Theatre at 5pm. Thank you

MangoProjects on
    I create images with IMPACT.
    edited March 2011
    For those interested in a Commander/EDH Box Social, how does meeting in the Tabletop room after 9:00pm on Friday sound? If we have enough peoples, we can always organize some more stuff for later on in the convention as well.

I like this idea, I'll swing through (barring disaster of course). I didn't go to this last year, how hard is it to find people at PAX? I have the impression it will be a mob scene.

Fiftyvolts on
    edited March 2011

Thanks for the information. I will head to Merman Theatre at 5pm. Thank you

Thanks for the info everyone!

Wow, I just realized I never posted my weekend Magic awesomeness!

I had tons of work to do over the weekend so I could have a Hassle Free PAX, but I did want to take just a few minutes of my schedule to check out a certain store in my area that was said to carry all kinds of games such as Magic. I thought I would know about all such places in my area even though I don't get to visit them that much, so I had my doubts when I learned it was in fact very close to where I live and it only looked like a small back door / poor budget local.

I was wrong. Not only was it immense (I want to say several hundreds of square feet well hidden in a mass of concrete), but it had pretty much everything you could look for, plus it was obvioiusly very popular. I thought all the cars that were outside where for the various other stores that surrounded it, but I think they were getting a decent chunck of the clientele. Bonus point, the joint did not look overly commercial either. It was just lots and lots of space and they crammed in all the comic book ilses, card games, table top games, RPG games and free play tables they could muster.

Afer a few minutes of roaming (with a very surprised face, after all I felt like I found the holy grail in my back yard), the store owner comes up to me and asks what I want. I tell him that I'm interested in Magic the Gathering and that I intend to play for the first time at an upcoming convention, but I have no idea what to do or what to start with (this was 90% true, but I wanted to see if he was going to tell me the same thing everyone else told me on the subject of starting with pre-built decks).

Not only does he says just that... But he GIVES ME 2 of EACH half deck packs that we got at PAX East last year in our swag bag. That's ten half dekcs or 5 full decks. He tells me that he was supposed to give all these packs a long time ago but most people here already owned everything and did not really care, so he was happy to find a new comer that could make good use of them. According two him, putting the two half decks of one color together should give me a decent starter deck, and it was the perfect try out for someone in my position. If I liked it (even remotely) then I could try something else.

I was surprised, so much so that even my girlfriend asked how much all this stuff was again, because we did not even talk about buying anything yet. "No, it's free mam. You can leave with that, it's not a problem, have a nice day!"

I felt so strange that I felt obligated to buy something none the less, which I did. He suggested that if we both really wanted to buy pre-built decks to try out against each other, then this box (Phyrexia vs The Coalition) would do the trick, plus it was 20$. According to him it was the cheapest starting kit he got for two people. The guy was not getting it, I wanted to buy stuff but he insisted that I start off as slow as possible and buy as less things as I could :)

Yesterday I went back for a couple of minutes to buy two deck boxes (I did not know where to stuff all of his without risking some damage during the con), and he gave me two tournament foil cards for free.

If this was the "free crack to get you hooked" thing then it definitely worked.

I never even got to unwrap anything yet but I can't wait for this evening!

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited March 2011
    Since we seem to have lots of newer players coming to PAX this year, I guess I'll throw down an idea for something that I had that newer players might be interested in.

Sometime over the weekend, would any of the newer players be interested in participating in an 8 player swiss tutorial draft? Everyone involved pays the entry fee of $15 or so to cover the packs they'll be opening, and then we start drafting. Instead of everyone keeping their picks a secret though, we all reveal our picks and then we go around the table explaining to everyone what they should be thinking about while drafting, what are good cards to pick, etc. etc. Obviously this wouldn't be a sanctioned event, but it would allow people new to drafting to be able to pick up on some of the things that it takes a long time to understand. We would all work on our draft decks together as well, and then play 3 rounds.

If any other experienced drafters want to help out with this, let me know in the thread or through PM. If not, I should be fine doing it by myself.

We can run this any time during the weekend if anyone is interested, just let me know.

Spawnbroker on
  • DesdemoniaDesdemonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Since we seem to have lots of newer players coming to PAX this year, I guess I'll throw down an idea for something that I had that newer players might be interested in.

Sometime over the weekend, would any of the newer players be interested in participating in an 8 player swiss tutorial draft? Everyone involved pays the entry fee of $15 or so to cover the packs they'll be opening, and then we start drafting. Instead of everyone keeping their picks a secret though, we all reveal our picks and then we go around the table explaining to everyone what they should be thinking about while drafting, what are good cards to pick, etc. etc. Obviously this wouldn't be a sanctioned event, but it would allow people new to drafting to be able to pick up on some of the things that it takes a long time to understand. We would all work on our draft decks together as well, and then play 3 rounds.

If any other experienced drafters want to help out with this, let me know in the thread or through PM. If not, I should be fine doing it by myself.

We can run this any time during the weekend if anyone is interested, just let me know.

YES - as a total noob when it comes to Magic, I am completely in love this idea.

Desdemonia on
    edited March 2011

I'd be willing to help out with this, since I enjoy teaching the game/formats to new people. I haven't really drafted MBS/SOM/SOM yet, but I was doing a draft a week or more from Lorwyn/Morningtide to triple Scars. As long as this doesn't interfere with the concerts, I think I'd be ok with it for the most part. PM me if you want to work out details.

spyrious on
    edited March 2011

I'd be willing to help out with this, since I enjoy teaching the game/formats to new people. I haven't really drafted MBS/SOM/SOM yet, but I was doing a draft a week or more from Lorwyn/Morningtide to triple Scars. As long as this doesn't interfere with the concerts, I think I'd be ok with it for the most part. PM me if you want to work out details.

This thread seems like a good enough place to work things out as any in terms of scheduling and signups. So far, we have for the tutorial draft:

1) Spawnbroker
    2) Desdemonia
    3) spyrious
    4) ???
    5) ???
    6) ???
    7) ???
    8) ???

Post in the thread or shoot me a PM if you wanna do this, and we can all coordinate a time to get together. Be prepared for this to take about 3 hours. Drafting will take about 30 minutes since we'll be talking about all of the picks, and deck building will take another good 30 minutes to an hour, and then 3 rounds will take however long it takes. If we get more than 8 people, then me or spyrious can sit out and help people with the draft instead of taking part.

Spawnbroker on
  • XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Do you have a twitter account we could follow? I imagine the Tabletop room will be huge, and finding each other might be a challenge?

Xiryc on
  • Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spawnbroker do you have a time you want to do the draft workshop? I can help you run this. Back in the day we brought Randy Buehler to TJ's to help teach us big time magic. One of the things he did was a really good draft workshop. I run that at TJ's from time to time. Provided we schedule it properly, I would have no trouble helping you with this.

please advise,

Tom Shea

If you are looking for all things Magic you should check out TJ Collectibles, nobody in New England has more magic than us.

Tom Shea on
    edited March 2011
    Hey Tom,

Sometime on Saturday would probably be best, as this is my first PAX and I'll be wandering around looking at things. Friday night I'll be doing the FNM, so that's out. I'm good for pretty much any time on Saturday or Sunday that people want to do this.

For any newer players who don't know, you do get to keep the cards that you draft, by the way ;-)

Edit: Updated draft workshop list:

1) Spawnbroker
    2) Desdemonia
    3) spyrious
    4) AlyceInWonderland
    5) BCBarney
    6) ???
    7) ???
    8) ???

Spawnbroker on
  • Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How does Saturday at 6:00 pm? It will take about an hour to do.

please let me know how that sounds.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • HyruleanTubistHyruleanTubist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd be happy to help with the draft workshop. I'm pretty experienced in drafting the new sets, as well, so I can go over the common archetypes as well as discuss how different drafting Mirrodin is from, say, M11. The time sounds perfect, I am planning on doing Team Mini-Masters with a friend of mine that night. Can't wait for that!

I'm down for the Commander Cast thing, too. EDH is how I was introduced to magic, so its the first format I really got accustomed to.

Quick question on the mini masters, are we constructing 30 card decks or 40 card decks for it? I've never actually done a real mini masters tournament before, so I don't know.

HyruleanTubist on
    edited March 2011
    Tom Shea wrote: »

Tom

That sounds like a good time, sure!

So that makes 6 people for the draft workshop, we need at least 2 more people to make this happen.

Spawnbroker on
    edited March 2011
    Spawnbroker: Sorry, but I can't actually make that time, as it will cut into the concerts, and I am helping to film them for the Community DVD. Good luck with this, though, it sounds like a great opportunity for new players to learn.

spyrious on
  • GHoooSTSGHoooSTS Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Xiryc wrote: »

Do you have a twitter account we could follow? I imagine the Tabletop room will be huge, and finding each other might be a challenge?

I do have a Twitter account, @CommanderCast, but have no idea if I'll have access to it during the convention.
    If you're worried about finding me, I don't really have a solid remedy to that. I'll just be walking around asking MtG people if they want to play EDH, so I'm hoping a group will materialize spontaneously.

GHoooSTS on
    edited March 2011
    Ugh! I would have joined in if it were not so close to the concerts. This sounds like it was the perfect thing for me to try out.

How long would something like this last? I'll see if I can find enough decent time. I'll talk to the ministry of internal affairs too since we had a dinner planed at some point :)

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • crowtalescrowtales Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm willing to bet that you can find the people at that time. I'd sign up, but it's a con - and my first Pax, so I've no idea if I'll be on schedule by then or not.

crowtales on
    edited March 2011
    Tom Shea wrote: »

Tom

Tom, I am looking at the PAX East/BECE floor plan, http://east.paxsite.com/bcec_map_2011.pdf. Will all the "Magic" happening at Level 0 / Table-Top area?

Thanks Tom,

MangoProjects on
  • ZennithZennith Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I'd be happy to help out with the draft workshop, or be part of a second one. I can be available for the Saturday 6:00 workshop, or be around at another part of the day (Saturday works best for me).

And now, if you all don't mind, I have a few questions which I did not see the answer to (or foolishly overlooked in the topic - if I did so, I apologize for the redundancy).
    1. What sets will be available for drafting and sealed events? I understand that Scars of Mirrodin block is the format of the day, but does this mean that there will be no boosters for M11, Zendikar block, or Rise of the Eldrazi available? Just Scars of Mirrodin and Mirrodin Besieged?
    2. How does mini-master work, exactly? I know that it is different from Pack Wars, where one opens a booster, removes the token, and shuffles in three of each basic land *without* looking at the cards. My impression is that the first round is the same, except one gets to look at one's cards (does one remove the non-foil land?). How does it work in subsequent rounds? Is the new pack shuffled in with the original deck along with fifteen more lands? Does one get to make a new, thirty card deck with whatever cards and lands one desires?
    3. Would anyone be interested in a Group Game draft, as illustrated on Daily MTG here?
    4. Is it possible/acceptable for us to bring our own booster packs and/or boxes to draft with? If so, can we ask players for compensation? I've got a booster box of Ravnica (which can be drafted on its own or with Guildpact - I don't own any Dissension packs), a booster box of Exodus, and a booster box of Fallen Empires lying around that I'd be happy to have drafted. I'm not interested in making a profit on the event, but I would prefer not to be out all the money for the cards.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for any responses. I cannot wait for Friday!

Zennith on
    edited March 2011
    It's official that I will not be able to attend Magic events on Saturday evenings. Either earlier that, up to Friday afternoon (going backwards in time).

I would have loved to try that though. Hopefully the place will be packed and having another chance at this will take nearly zero effort. Is there a twitter for magic events????

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • imarcellimarcell Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I would love to do group game draft! I've done it before and it is amazing.

Although the schedule says that EDH doesn't start till 7:30, could we still play the four player EDH battles before then for prizes?

imarcell on
    edited March 2011
    imarcell wrote: »
    I would love to do group game draft! I've done it before and it is amazing.

Although the schedule says that EDH doesn't start till 7:30, could we still play the four player EDH battles before then for prizes?

I'm going to try and get in the 7:30 EDH games and then follow up later at 9:00 with GHoooSTS in the table top room (not sure how we'll all find each other, but I'm sure it will work out. "We'll be the guys with the cards" or something) :)

Fiftyvolts on
    edited March 2011
    So is the draft tutorial happening, still? I'm still set to do it, but will we have 8 people to do it, and will people be there to watch? Whoever's at the booth ought to advertise it a little, I'm sure we could get a small crowd if we tried.

HyruleanTubist on
    edited March 2011
    I am still willing to host it, but I'm not part of the official booth. I'll ask them tomorrow and see if they still want me to do it at 6:00 pm.

Spawnbroker on
  • DesdemoniaDesdemonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd prefer a little earlier in the day myself, if it's possible. I didn't get the chance to head over there today, but my plan for tomorrow morning is to find the magic booth - near tabletop? And do intro league. Do they teach you to play there, our do I need to just hope I can find somebody friendly?

Desdemonia on
    edited March 2011
    Awesome time playing EDH last night, can't wait to do it again. Missed the CommanderCast guy though (unless you were lurking and I didn't recognize you).

It's harder to find people than I thought, but MAN is it awesome. The whole experience is great.

I'll be at the "official" EDH event at 7:30 again, and be looking to play some games after.

Fiftyvolts on
    edited March 2011
    I'll be there around 5:30 to play EDH and possibly do the tutorial if anyone is around to. I'll be wearing a Johns Hopkins shirt and looking to play!

HyruleanTubist on
  • BCBarneyBCBarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    NOt sure if this draft is happening but I am down by the LTP table with a white shirt with green sleeves.

BCBarney on
    edited March 2011
    The "Magic" events worked well. The table-top event was bigger than 2010 with more room, more tables and more players. I had a great time. I look forward to 2012 PAX East.

MangoProjects on