As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So they gave me a Blackberry...

SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
at work.

The Good:
I don't have to pay for a cell phone anymore

The Bad:
Placing a call is torture

Why'd I post here?:
I need to have AOL instant messenger on it. As most of the people I communicate with at work in a day are either by e-mail or on AOL.

I see that on the RIM website I can download the IM program for 50 bucks. Is there another place to get a freeware AOL IM program?

There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
Slapnuts on

• Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How's making a phonecall torture?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wish I could find one. All the ones I have found so far cost money. I really wish AOL would just make a damn client for Blackberry's. If everyone at work has one then maybe you guys could use the blackberry messenger.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Slapnuts wrote: »
    The Bad:
    Placing a call is torture

Why'd I post here?:
    I need to have AOL instant messenger on it. As most of the people I communicate with at work in a day are either by e-mail or on AOL.

Placing a call torture? If the person you're calling is in your address book, just start typing their name and they'll show up. Press the green phone button to call.

Here is a free AIM client:
    http://wireless.sra.com/ramble/

Epyon9283 on
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    $50 for a freaking AOL client? Wow, thats lame.

JediNight on
  • SesphohemeSesphoheme Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    niiiice.

I got a blackberry pearl (I think it is) about a month ago, a slight upgrade from my plain little nokia handset phone. I still have trouble using it, cause compared to my other one it's so complex, but I'm getting the hang of it.

I looked for about 15 minutes for various sites offering a client, but the couple sites I found had complaints about the client not working right, so I figure it'd be no help to send you those links, eh? ;)

Sesphoheme on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I personally don't like those supped up cell phones with all the extra crap tagged onto it. I just need it to make calls, I don't need to take videos, chat on AIM, or listen to MP3s.

tardcore on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a PDA/mobile primarily because of the contacts/tasks/calendar/e-mail integration as I'm out of the office a lot and I sometimes I can't open the laptop to access the information.

That said, I hate Blackberry devices because of the moronic Exchange server software layer they require to function and administer, and the unreliability of the units that I've encountered. I heavily favour Windows Mobile device implementations when consulting to clients.

devoir on
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've had a couple windows moble devices for work. They were terrible. Absolutely awful. One was a Treo and the other was some unlabeled slider from Verizon. The hardware on the Verizon phone was terrible but the software on both sucked hard. They'd lock up frequently. A lot of times on the phones when the phone rang it wouldn't let you answer. You'd be hitting the answer button and nothing would freakin happen. Email broke randomly. I'd stop getting email for about about a week and then it'd magically come back without me doing anything. The phones were connecting to our imap server.

I got a Blackberry 8800 for my own personal use to replace a POS helio ocean and its been fine. Haven't had any issues with the hardware or software on the phone. I've been using Cingular's BIS server instead of my own BES server so I have no experience on that end. The phone is more than adequate for making and receiving calls and the email functionality is great. The battery lasts far longer than my last two phones. I'm a Mac user at home and pocketmac syncs with the blackberry quite nicely.

Epyon9283 on
    edited June 2007
    I actually had a bit of an epiphany. Blackberry vs Windows Mobile has almost become like Mac vs PC. You can get lead astray by really crap hardware on the PC side, but if you do find the right solution, the PC/Windows Mobile has greater flexibility more often than not. Maybe, take that thought with a grain of salt.

The only Windows Mobile units I've seen in action are Samsung Blackjacks and i-Mate Jasjams. Neither of those have experienced lockups, or e-mail issues, however the Jasjam had an issue with the external buttons that was fixed with a firmware update.

Until you've had to administer a BES server, you haven't seen the whole other ugly side of Blackberry. Compared to just pointing a Windows Mobile device to your OWA, BES is an utterly unnecessary piece of crap.

devoir on
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love my Blackberry, AOL does have a client but only one network (that I know of) uses it, and that is T-Mobile. What model blackberry is it?

the best AIM software, and the one i personally use is jivetalk from http://www.beejive.com/ they have a 30 day free trial, after which you can buy one of two licenses, a device license which is 20 bones for the specific phone you buy it for, or a user license which allows you to move it to any blackberry device. that is the one i would get as the 10 bucks is a pretty decent insurance policy on any upgrades.

Try it out, it might not be for you, but I like it quite a bit, considering I am also on a network that doesn't support the official application.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To clarify:

The service the office uses is Nextel. I should have said, Direct Connect is torture (but I discovered thats because the direct connect numbers didn't get transferred from my last phone to this one.). I don't place that many actual calls with the thing.

The model I have is the 7250. So basic Blackberry'ing.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • antifoodantifood Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone used a T-mobile Wing?

antifood on
  • joehonkiejoehonkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JediNight wrote: »
    $50 for a freaking AOL client? Wow, thats lame.

I hated to pay it, but Ramble is a pain in the butt, and IM+ is really good and handles all my IM accounts.

joehonkie on
    I CAUSE SQL ERRORS!
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I use a free PocketPC program called imov on my Treo that lets me use AIM (as well as other messangers) through Jabber protocol, or whatever (I don't pretend to understand that stuff.) I dunno if they make a version for Blackberry.

I also know that the UK AIM site still has an old free build of the PockectPC official AIM program on its website. Again, dunno if they have anything for Blackberries.

Evander on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Maybe he has chronic RSI in his phone-hand arm so holding the phone up to his ear is unbearable agony. I know a person with RSI who finds it hard to brush their hair without suffering crippling pain.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Maybe he has chronic RSI in his phone-hand arm so holding the phone up to his ear is unbearable agony. I know a person with RSI who finds it hard to brush their hair without suffering crippling pain.

Get her a bluetooth handsfree brush attachment.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    tardcore wrote: »
    I personally don't like those supped up cell phones with all the extra crap tagged onto it. I just need it to make calls, I don't need to take videos, chat on AIM, or listen to MP3s.

I'm pretty much that way too, although on-the-go real internet (ie, not fucking wap or 'mobile' websites, proper dicking interneting) would change my mind. I don't need satnav, but being able to google map restaurants and shit would be <3

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Man, how did you know it was a 'she'? I kept that sentence completely asexual on purpose. I guess guys just do not brush their hair.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Until you've had to administer a BES server, you haven't seen the whole other ugly side of Blackberry. Compared to just pointing a Windows Mobile device to your OWA, BES is an utterly unnecessary piece of crap.

The BES part is the easiest part for me, compared to hooking the actual phone up to the computer.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't mind my Pearl. In fact, I'm using it to write this message while icing my knees after a workout.

AnakinOU on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Man, how did you know it was a 'she'? I kept that sentence completely asexual on purpose. I guess guys just do not brush their hair.

Because I can't read and thought 'their' was 'her'.

Also, I'm looking in your window right now.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007

Because I can't read and thought 'their' was 'her'.

Also, I'm looking in your window right now.

Reading incomprehension leads to clairvoyance.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited June 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »

The BES part is the easiest part for me, compared to hooking the actual phone up to the computer.

From a user point of view, when they work right, BES and Windows Mobile are not much different. Windows Mobile devices with data connectivity do the same wireless e-mail delivery stuff.

devoir on