As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

JokermanJokerman EverythingEverywhereRegistered User regular
edited January 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
MILITARY THREAD
So you wanna be all you can be?
h3SIwB9.jpg
or get yelled at like this guy,
NmQ1FNL.jpg
or feel the need for speed?
gG2uf1B.jpg
or go toe to toe with the Ruskies
rW34QWy.jpg
or even look like this guy,
WoF3J92.jpg
You're in the right place.

Inquires into foriegn branches are welcome as well.

NOTICE
Depression\Suicide\Deployment Stress counseling is available confidentialy by PMing either me (Jokerman) or Rent.
We all understand, and want to help. So if you're having thoughts of hurting yourself or others, please
don't be afraid to ask for help.

A QUICK WORD ABOUT THE RULES
Only two main rules as everyone in here is pretty classy;
1. Keep it civil, Keep Rivalries to a minimum.
2. Be careful not to violate OPSEC or any other SEC for that matter.
and of course, as a sidenote, be sure to inform me of anything that should be added to the OP.

BRANCHES
Note: Under each branch I've listed a few member who have voluntered to answer personal questions though PM's. Any of these people will be more then happy to help you, but by all means don't be afraid to post your question in the thread. It's participation that keeps it alive.

ARMY
150px-United_States_Department_of_the_Army_Seal.svg.png
The United States Army is the branch of the United States armed forces responsible for land-based military operations. It is the largest and oldest established branch of the U.S. military, and is one of seven uniformed services.
The primary mission of the Army is to "provide necessary forces and capabilities ... in support of the National Security and Defense Strategies". The Regular Army reported a strength of 539,675 soldiers; the Army National Guard (ARNG) reported 360,351 and the United States Army Reserve (USAR) reported 197,024 putting the combined component strength total 1,097,050 soldiers (2008 Financial Year).[3]

@Laemkral (CPT, Transportation)
@Sky (E-5, Journalism School, Airborne School)
@h3ndu (Officer\Enlisted, 11B)
@Jean Claude Van Calm (NCO, Infantry-Training)
@Taranis (E-4, Infantry)
@Feels Good Man (E-4, Medic)
@Jokerman (E-1, Artillery(Depression\Suicide counseling via PM)
@Waffen (O-1, Armor Officer\ROTC)

MARINE CORP.
(U.S.M.C.)
150px-USMC_logo.svg.png
The United States Marine Corps (USMC) is a branch of the United States armed forces responsible for providing force projection from the sea, using the mobility of the United States Navy to rapidly deliver combined-arms task forces. It is one of seven uniformed services of the United States. In the civilian leadership structure of the United States military, the Marine Corps is a component of the Department of the Navy, often working closely with U.S. naval forces for training, transportation and logistic purposes; however, in the military leadership structure the Marine Corps is a separate branch. The U.S.M.C. includes just over 203,000 active duty Marines and just under 40,000 reserve Marines. It is the smallest of the United States' armed forces in the Department of Defense. The Marine Corps is nonetheless larger than the entire armed forces of many significant military powers; for example, it is larger than the active duty Israel Defense Forces or the whole of the British Army.
@Gung-Ho (E-4, Infantry)
@Cls Corwin (E-5, Supply)
@Godmode (E-4, Comms-Civil affairs)
@Turkson (E-5, Intel Analyst/Foreign Military Trainer)

NAVY
150px-United_States_Department_of_the_Navy_Seal.svg.png
The United States Navy (USN) is the sea branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. It is one of the seven uniformed services of the United States. As of 31 December 2008, the U.S. Navy had about 331,682 personnel on active duty and 124,000 in the Navy Reserve. It operates 284 ships in active service and more than 3,700 aircraft. The U.S. Navy is the largest in the world; its battle fleet tonnage is greater than that of the next 13 largest navies combined. The U.S. Navy also has the world's largest carrier fleet, with 11 in service and one under construction. The 21st century United States Navy maintains a sizable global presence, deploying in such areas as East Asia, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East. It is a blue water navy with the ability to project force onto the littoral regions of the world, engage in forward areas during peacetime, and rapidly respond to regional crises, making it an active player in American foreign and defense policy.
@Limp Moose (Officer, Pilot (deploys frequently))
@Quid (Enlisted, Linguist)

AIRFORCE
150px-Seal_of_the_US_Air_Force.svg.png
The United States Air Force (USAF) is the aerial warfare, space warfare, and cyberwarfare branch of the U.S. armed forces and one of the American uniformed services. Initially part of the United States Army, the USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on 18 September 1947 under the National Security Act of 1947. It is the most recent branch of the U.S. military to be formed. In its 2009 Posture Statement the USAF articulates its primary goals as "Global Vigilance, Global Reach, and Global Power".

As of 2009 the USAF operates 5,573 manned aircraft in service (3,990 USAF; 1,213 Air National Guard; and 370 Air Force Reserve); approximately 180 unmanned combat air vehicles, 2,130 air-launched cruise missiles, and 450 intercontinental ballistic missiles. The USAF has 327,452 personnel on active duty, 115,299 in the Selected and Individual Ready Reserves, and 106,700 in the Air National Guard as of September 2008. In addition, the USAF employs 171,313 civilian personnel, and has 57,000 auxiliary members in the Civil Air Patrol.
@VeritasVR (O1, Acquisitions/Engineering)
@Iceman.USAF (O2, Civil Engineer)
@Spookymuffin (E5, Air Transportation)

COAST GUARD
150px-USCG_S_W.svg.png
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of seven uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction both domestically and in international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set. It operates under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the Department of the Navy by the President or Congress during time of war.

@RUNN1NGMAN

SUGGESTED READING LIST
Suggested Reading

Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest
by Stephen E. Ambrose

One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer
by Nathaniel Fick, CPT (ret) (Known as the LT in Generation Kill).

Helmet for my Pillow
by Robert Leckie

With the Old Breed
by Eugene Sledge

The Long Gray Line
by Rick Atkinson

Generation Kill
by Evan Wright

This Kind of War : The Classic Korean War History
by T. R. Fehrenbach, Gordon Sullivan

America's First Battles, 1776-1965 (Modern War Studies)
by Charles E. Heller (Editor), William A. Stofft (Editor)

A concise History of the United States Army, 1775-2000: 225 Years of Service to the Nation
by David W. Hogan, Jr.

The Face of Battle
by John Keegan

We Were Soldiers Once...and Young : Ia Drang : The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam
by Harold G. Moore, Joseph Galloway (Contributor)

Once an Eagle : A Novel
by Anton Myrer

Citizen Soldiers : The U.S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany, June 7, 1944 to May 7, 1945
by Stephen E. Ambrose

The War to End All Wars : The American Military Experience in World War I
by Edward M. Coffman

Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant,
by Ulysses Simpson Grant

The Years of MacArthur 1941-1945
by Clayton James

The Quiet Warrior : A Biography of Admiral Raymond A. Spruance (Classics of Naval Literature)
by Thomas B. Buell

One Hundred Days : The Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander
by Woodard

Follow Me I : The Human Element in Leadership
by Aubrey S. Newman

Follow Me II : More on the Human Element in Leadership
by Aubrey S. Newman

Soldier and the State : The Theory and Politics of Civil-Military Relations.
by Samuel P. Huntington

The Passing of the Night: My Seven Years As a Prisoner of the North Vietnamese, by Robinson Risner

10 Propositions Regarding Air Power
by Philip Meilinger

Lincoln on Leadership
by Donald Phillips

They Also Flew
By Lee Arbon

Killer Angels
by Michael Shaara

This Kind of War
by T. R. Fehrenbach

Makers of the United States Air Force
by John L. Frisbee

Winged Victory
By Geoffrey Perret

Embattled Courage : The Experience of Combat in the American Civil War
by Gerald F. Linderman

The Caine Mutiny : A Novel of World War II
by Herman Wouk

Deming Management Method
by Mary Walton, W. Edwards Deming

At Dawn We Slept : The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor
by Gordon William Prange, Donald M. Goldstein , Katherine V. Dillon

First to Fight: An Inside View of the U.S. Marine Corps
by Victor Krulak

Flight of the Intruder
by Stephen Coonts, Paul McCarthy

Miracle at Midway
by Gordon William Prange, Donald M. Goldstein, Katherine V. Dillon

The Price of Admiralty : The Evolution of Naval Warfare
by John Keegan

Company Commander
by Charles Brown MacDonald

Men Against Fire : The Problem of Battle Command in Future War
by S.L. Marshall

For the Common Defense : A Military History of the United States of America
by Peter Maslowski, Allan Reed Millett

Certain Victory : The U.S. Army in the Gulf War.
by Robert H. Scales

George C. Marshall: Soldier-Statesman of the American Century
by Mark A. Stoler

Archived Threads
Military Thread, MK-1
Military Thread, MK-2

Jokerman on

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    * I'm not a pilot, I'm a Civil Engineer. We're still awesome though, don't worry.

Iceman.USAF on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought I fixed that! Sorry mate!

Jokerman on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can put me up on the Army one if you want.
    NCO, Artillery/DSgt/IRR (In limbo while I change units)

I need to buy my blues several weddings this year. Couple of questions since I only have Class A's that are almost 11 years old:

1) What the hell is the service braid? Do only officers need to get that?
    2) Personal opinion: Medals or Ribbons for the wedding? Right now, I'm leaning more towards medals since it looks classy.
    3) Beret or Service Cap?
    4) Since I've never had to wear the medals themselves, what do you do for awards that don't have medals? Do you just not wear those?

I think that's about it for now.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OP implies that everyone in the AF flies planes.

You can list me in the AF as a SSgt, Air Transportation.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited March 2011

I'm sorry, I didn't want to put a picture of someone doing paper work behind a desk.

Also, the real travesty is apparently the picture i have for the navy is some guy in a halloween costume.

Jokerman on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I found out that I will be stationed at Hanscom AFB in Boston.

First choice on my dreamsheet = victory.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The army picture needs strykers.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

They don't? That's weird, because everyone in the Navy drives boats.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »

I'm sorry, I didn't want to put a picture of someone doing paper work behind a desk.

Also, the real travesty is apparently the picture i have for the navy is some guy in a halloween costume.

The OP shouldreally list the Chairforce last, IMO. :lol:

Belketre on
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Evigilant wrote: »
    You can put me up on the Army one if you want.
    NCO, Artillery/DSgt/IRR (In limbo while I change units)

I need to buy my blues several weddings this year. Couple of questions since I only have Class A's that are almost 11 years old:

1) What the hell is the service braid? Do only officers need to get that?
    2) Personal opinion: Medals or Ribbons for the wedding? Right now, I'm leaning more towards medals since it looks classy.
    3) Beret or Service Cap?
    4) Since I've never had to wear the medals themselves, what do you do for awards that don't have medals? Do you just not wear those?

I think that's about it for now.

Dunno how much the Navy differs from you guys, but usually at a formal dinner/function medals are the way to go. And for our awards that don't have medals, you wear the ribbons on the opposite side. Keep in mind, when you swap the ribbons you need to reverse them, so that the higher ones are still closest to your heart, etc.

Again, that's how it goes in the Navy. Might need to dig up your uniform regs for the right answer.

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can anyone tell me whether or not it's true that if you've served in the military, and you get in a fight, that you're legally obligated to inform someone that you've "been trained to kill"? I'd always heard this when I was in, but I was never sure if it was more than just a rumor. If I ever got in a fight I would probably say this just to be safe, but I'm worried that it could be perceived as a death threat. I obviously don't plan on getting in any fights, and I would avoid one if possible, but it's something that I frequently worry about.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that sounds absolutely retarded and I very much doubt it

like the dumb thing where cops have to inform you that they're a cop even if they're undercover

"I am combatives level 2 qualified, so you know. And, don't worry -- since I have medical training from the army, I'll be sure to patch you up (as I am also morally and legally obligated to do so) after I totally kick your fucking ass, bro."

Feels Good Man on
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can put me down in the OP for questions if you like.
    Army/E4/Intelligence

Evigilant: I don't know about the rest, but I'm of the opinion that a well molded beret is the height of class.

Andorien on
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Taranis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me whether or not it's true that if you've served in the military, and you get in a fight, that you're legally obligated to inform someone that you've "been trained to kill"? I'd always heard this when I was in, but I was never sure if it was more than just a rumor. If I ever got in a fight I would probably say this just to be safe, but I'm worried that it could be perceived as a death threat. I obviously don't plan on getting in any fights, and I would avoid one if possible, but it's something that I frequently worry about.

If anything, that would be something for spec ops guys. The informing someone that "you've been trained to kill" is silly. I think it's just supposed to be understood that if you get into a fight with someone and you have a high level of combat training, you will be judged quite harshly.

edit: for OP purposes, Navy/E5/Submarines (external comms/radioman)

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    edited March 2011

I just thought it was funny. Do you want to be this guy? ...or this guy? ...or fly this? At least put a picture of an Airman in there.

spookymuffin on
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I just thought it was funny. Do you want to be this guy? ...or this guy? ...or fly this? At least put a picture of an Airman in there.

Don't be hatin' on my dad's plane. :P

radroadkill on
    edited March 2011
    Don't get me wrong at all, I love the shit out of a C-17. Best planes to load, balance, and transport any and everything you need to get anywhere you need to get it. By far my favorite cargo plane. They even have power outlets in the walls near certain seats (that I always seem to end up in).

spookymuffin on
    edited March 2011
    Don't get me wrong at all, I love the shit out of a C-17. Best planes to load, balance, and transport any and everything you need to get anywhere you need to get it. By far my favorite cargo plane. They even have power outlets in the walls near certain seats (that I always seem to end up in).

I'm not being serious. It is sort of funny.

But that's not a C-17! That's a C-130.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Etc.

radroadkill on
    edited March 2011
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Niiice so you're going to be a 62E?

Also, Hanscom is like 30 minutes from my parents house.

Iceman.USAF on
    edited March 2011

I'm not being serious. It is sort of funny.

But that's not a C-17! That's a C-130.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Etc.

My bad. That looks exactly like the picture of the C-17 that gets plastered all over everything. I saw the flares and didn't check any closer. C-130s are terrible.

spookymuffin on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Nope, still 63A - Acquisitions. I'll probably be doing the work of a 62E though. They're so closely related that I was told that the difference really doesn't matter. I have my engineering degree so it's all good.

I went to visit the base last October and talked to a 1Lt about our AFSC. Good thing I did, because I made some connections there which I get to continue. I believe one of the FGOs went to the same university as me. Unfortunately, most of my summer will be training in Alabama and Ohio.

I made a post in the last thread asking where to live if I got stationed at Hanscom AFB. Recommended was Davis Square, but I am now asking that question again (it didn't seem like there were many apartments around there, just houses).

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited March 2011

Nope, still 63A - Acquisitions. I'll probably be doing the work of a 62E though. They're so closely related that I was told that the difference really doesn't matter. I have my engineering degree so it's all good.

I went to visit the base last October and talked to a 1Lt about our AFSC. Good thing I did, because I made some connections there which I get to continue. I believe one of the FGOs went to the same university as me. Unfortunately, most of my summer will be training in Alabama and Ohio.

I made a post in the last thread asking where to live if I got stationed at Hanscom AFB. Recommended was Davis Square, but I am now asking that question again (it didn't seem like there were many apartments around there, just houses).

We can talk more when you've got time, but Hanscom is in a pretty expensive area. Don't let anyone fool you, you're not working "in" Boston. More like "near".

Also, you'll have fun at ASBC and your tech school in Ohio. For acquisitions I think it is 4 weeks though I could be wrong. And ASBC is 6 or so now I think. Neither is anything like OTS really.

Some good places to start house hunting are www.ahrn.com (need a .mil address to begin I think) as well as www.militarybyowner.com

Iceman.USAF on
  • zrikzzrikz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    feel free to add me to the list if ya want 2LT, Signal - Army.

zrikz on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Posting mainly for the dot, but somebody might care: my packet is away to Recruiting Command, so barring any more outdated forms I'm all set. Now to wait fro June and look for backup jobs.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Taranis wrote: »
    I'm not in the military, but I'm not aware of any laws that treat members of the military differently from civilians when it comes to things like assault.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited March 2011
    The only thing that's different for military members, from what I know, is that you get in twice as much trouble. Once from civilian authorities, and then again from your chain of command/UCMJ actions.

spookymuffin on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unless it's serious enough, then you might just get discharged and handed to the civilian authorities.

Cabezone on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Unless it's serious enough, then you might just get discharged and handed to the civilian authorities.
    I always wondered how that worked. If a servicemen murdered a civilian in a bar off-base, what legal system would they get charged under?

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Transferring to Japan in about three days. On my way to a cruiser! Any advice?

I'm CT.

Aaaand it just got hit by a tidal wave. Son of a bitch.

Ioga on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    I always wondered how that worked. If a servicemen murdered a civilian in a bar off-base, what legal system would they get charged under?

Aren't you a lawyer too, Modern Man? Go look up the UCMJ!

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited March 2011
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Modern Man wrote: »

Aren't you a lawyer too, Modern Man? Go look up the UCMJ!

I believe the answer is "both" but I have no citations to back that up.

Iceman.USAF on
  • LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I believe it goes to UCMJ as that is federal law, which always trumps state and local law. So if it's legal in your state and banned by UCMJ, you still can't do it. This is why service members get turned over to the MPs when they are arrested, so proper jurisdiction can take over.

But otherwise, I have never been told I have to warn folks before a fight.

The one exception to the above is for anyone abroad. SOFA agreements generally give total jurisdiction to the host nation and so you can actually get punished twice. Once by local law, again by American law. I've seen it happen with all the DUIs we've had.

Being an XO has given me incredible insight into the workings of UCMJ because my Company has a lot of issues. A LOT.

Laemkral on
    Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
    edited March 2011

Once again, doing what? sitting behind a desk filling out paperwork? I'm trying to show the exciting side of the military that only exist in things recruiters tell highschoolers.

Jokerman on
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Once again, doing what? sitting behind a desk filling out paperwork? I'm trying to show the exciting side of the military that only exist in things recruiters tell highschoolers.

Can't you show a picture of the guy in the cockpit?

Andorien on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    nope. that plane is classic

Feels Good Man on
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ioga wrote: »
    Transferring to Japan in about three days. On my way to a cruiser! Any advice?

I'm CT.

Aaaand it just got hit by a tidal wave. Son of a bitch.

Cowpens or shiloh?

Hopefully for you it is the Shiloh. When you get here pay attention in AOBICR (orientation.) Don't fuck with the locals and be prepared to be underway A LOT. Yokosuka is not a bad area you will have a good time. Make sure you get out and see the rest of japan though. There is way cooler stuff in tokyo/yokohama then yokosuka

Limp moose on
    edited March 2011

Oh wait, I get it! You're making some kind of joke about how the AF is full of desk workers. That's cute.

spookymuffin on
    edited March 2011
    So, like... a sub would be totally cool in a tsunami and if something was wrong someone would've called by now, right?

radroadkill on
    edited March 2011
    So, like... a sub would be totally cool in a tsunami and if something was wrong someone would've called by now, right?

In a word, yes they're fine. But no, they can't call you. They're busy helping people most likely.

Iceman.USAF on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Laemkral wrote: »
    I believe it goes to UCMJ as that is federal law, which always trumps state and local law. So if it's legal in your state and banned by UCMJ, you still can't do it. This is why service members get turned over to the MPs when they are arrested, so proper jurisdiction can take over.

But otherwise, I have never been told I have to warn folks before a fight.

The one exception to the above is for anyone abroad. SOFA agreements generally give total jurisdiction to the host nation and so you can actually get punished twice. Once by local law, again by American law. I've seen it happen with all the DUIs we've had.

Being an XO has given me incredible insight into the workings of UCMJ because my Company has a lot of issues. A LOT.

My unit had to stop doing article 15's for DUI's if they were off post since it apparently falls under double jeopardy. UCMJ only trumps state and local laws when on a military installation, off base or off post you're under state and local laws. In fact I am pretty sure state and local laws don't apply at all on post. I am stationed at Ft. Stewart in Georgia. Local laws prohibit selling alcohol on sundays, but you can go on post and buy it there. Also most states prohibit selling alcohol past a certain time, on post it is only limited by whatever the post commander decides (which on Stewart seems to be 24/7). Another example would be the age of consent, in Georgia it is 16, but in the Army it is 18.

By American law do you mean UCMJ? Or federal law?

You don't have to warn anyone before a fight (though you should be avoiding fights anyways), that is some dumb shit from Con Air.

Yoshua on
This discussion has been closed.