As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wisconsin Protests] 45% of the way to recalling 8 GOP state senators

• Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Gov. Snyder (R) of Michigan actually manages to out-crazy Walker.
    Unions and others oppose the legislation because it would give broad new powers to emergency financial managers, who are appointed by the state treasurer. Those powers include the ability to nullify collective bargained agreements, imposition of new agreements for those bargaining units which will have effect for as much as five years after the EMF leaves office and the ability for the manager to dissolve local governing bodies of schools and cities. The EMF would also have the power to eliminate any local ordinance or law he or she decides to eliminate.

THE FUCK?

Man, I bet Walker wishes he'd just given himself the power to become a dictator first, like Snyder is doing. Does that need quorum?

Rachel Maddow had a segment on this last night. You know what else is awesome? These Emergency Financial Managers? They can also be a Private Corporations. Yes. Really. Just imagine what life would be like if Comcast was appointed to run your town. What fun would that be.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So uh... what the fuck?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait wait wait.

"[A]bility for the manager to dissolve local governing bodies of schools and cities." What. The. Fuck. Does that read to anyone else like they could get away with going "well, we've dissolved your County Council and have replaced them with two Senior VP's from Ford, and we've also dissolved your school board and appointed some VP's from Kraft Foods." Because that is retarded fucked up.

This country went fucking kuh-ray-zee in November '10.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait wait wait.

"[A]bility for the manager to dissolve local governing bodies of schools and cities." What. The. Fuck. Does that read to anyone else like they could get away with going "well, we've dissolved your County Council and have replaced them with two Senior VP's from Ford, and we've also dissolved your school board and appointed some VP's from Kraft Foods." Because that is retarded fucked up.

Or he replaces Detroit's police management with a corporation and then Robocop :shock:

:wink:

a5ehren on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Electing public officials is for communists.

KalTorak on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait wait wait.

Well, technically there's no consitutional protection for local governments, because they're just considered a subset of the state government. So I think every state government does have the authority to change the local governments however they want. But having a formal law putting all that power simply in the hands of the governor... yeah :evil:

Pi-r8 on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Wait wait wait.

Or he replaces Detroit's police management with a corporation and then Robocop :shock:

:wink:

Okay, if Robocop is the end result of this, then it will have all been worth it... but only because he'd end up killng the shit out of a bunch of Emergency Financial Managers.

"My name is Murphy." BLAM BLAM BLAM.

Dracomicron on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As a union member in Michigan, I'm obviously interested in learning more about this bill. Is there a nice, detailed, mainstream write-up somewhere? Under what conditions can an emergency manager come in anyway? Is it still like in Flint's case where the local government has to agree to have the EFM take over?

enc0re on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unions and others oppose the legislation because it would give broad new powers to emergency financial managers, who are appointed by the state treasurer. Those powers include the ability to nullify collective bargained agreements, imposition of new agreements for those bargaining units which will have effect for as much as five years after the EMF leaves office and the ability for the manager to dissolve local governing bodies of schools and cities. The EMF would also have the power to eliminate any local ordinance or law he or she decides to eliminate.

THE FUCK?

Man, I bet Walker wishes he'd just given himself the power to become a dictator first, like Snyder is doing. Does that need quorum?

He only needs the emergency powers to defeat the seperatists and raise a grand army of the republic.

Deebaser on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why does this keep happening?

Why is it even remotely legal to write legislation that says 'I give me power to do whatever I want'?

Is there some reason so many politicians are insane these days?

Xaquin on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »

THE FUCK?

He only needs the emergency powers to defeat the seperatists and raise a grand army of the republic.

Fear will keep the local governments in line.

Fear of this battlestation.

KalTorak on
    edited March 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »

Why is it even remotely legal to write legislation that says 'I give me power to do whatever I want'?

Not insane, insanely corrupt.

And I'm imagining that there will be a court challenge to the constitutionality of the Michigan thing. Because. Fucking A. There has to be, right?

Dracomicron on
    edited March 2011
    enc0re wrote: »
    As a union member in Michigan, I'm obviously interested in learning more about this bill. Is there a nice, detailed, mainstream write-up somewhere? Under what conditions can an emergency manager come in anyway? Is it still like in Flint's case where the local government has to agree to have the EFM take over?

I was skimming Kos for raw meat when I stumbled upon this, so I really don't know offhand. Help us, Google-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope?

Dracomicron on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Idaho just passed a bill stripping collective bargaining from teachers.

At the same time though, the bill also ended tenure and last-in-first-out.

So....Not sure what to think.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Given that the actual incidence of bad teachers that are retained under those last two programs is very low, I'm going to go with that being a net negative.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The populous rage touted so heavily by the tea party (I refuse to capitalize those motherfuckers) in the 2010 elections basically got a bunch of extremists into power while the majority of the opposing party stayed home and didn't vote. Something like 45% of voters turned out in Wisconsin, if I recall. The violent, hate-filled rhetoric espoused by the teabaggers represents a minority of America, but because they were so loud and vociferous in yelling empty words and themes ("freedom, the constitution, we the PEOPLE," etc. god fuck) they convinced the gullible that America really was being stolen by communists.

This is what the rest of America gets for not giving enough of a shit to show up.

Amphetamine on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The populous rage touted so heavily by the tea party (I refuse to capitalize those motherfuckers) in the 2010 elections basically got a bunch of extremists into power while the majority of the opposing party stayed home and didn't vote. Something like 45% of voters turned out in Wisconsin, if I recall. The violent, hate-filled rhetoric espoused by the teabaggers represents a minority of America, but because they were so loud and vociferous in yelling empty words and themes ("freedom, the constitution, we the PEOPLE," etc. god fuck) they convinced the gullible that America really was being stolen by communists.

This is what the rest of America gets for not giving enough of a shit to show up.

To be fair, the Democrats always fail to realize that when you campaign on your strengths instead of your ability to capitulate to minority Republicans you will turn out the vote.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited March 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »

To be fair, the Democrats always fail to realize that when you campaign on your strengths instead of your ability to capitulate to minority Republicans you will turn out the vote.

Yeah they were a part of the problem too. Though I'm looking at this through the eyes of someone who voted for Feingold and still have no idea how he lost.

Amphetamine on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanatos on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heard this morning that Walker has agreed to negotiate, by saying that he'll let state workers keep the ability to negotiate wage increases higher than inflation I don't think he really gets it.

Veevee on
    edited March 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yeah that bit was phenomenal. Got to meet John Oliver when I was in Madison two weeks ago as well.

Amphetamine on
    edited March 2011

Yeah they were a part of the problem too. Though I'm looking at this through the eyes of someone who voted for Feingold and still have no idea how he lost.

Doing canvas calls for feingold told me how, there were a lot of people I talked to that said that while they support Feingold they felt it was time for a change. Because he hadn't done enough for *Insert political agenda here*

There were also a rather unsettlingly large amount of people that thought that since the McCain/Feingold finance reform was essentially overturned by the Citizens United ruling, that Feingold obviously didn't know what he was doing.

Veevee on
    edited March 2011
    Veevee wrote: »
    Heard this morning that Walker has agreed to negotiate, by saying that he'll let state workers keep the ability to negotiate wage increases higher than inflation I don't think he really gets it.

O_o It's like this dude is schizophrenic.

Also, I wish I could have a transcript of that Jon Stewart piece.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited March 2011

Doing canvas calls for feingold told me how, there were a lot of people I talked to that said that while they support Feingold they felt it was time for a change. Because he hadn't done enough for *Insert political agenda here*

There were also a rather unsettlingly large amount of people that thought that since the McCain/Feingold finance reform was essentially overturned by the Citizens United ruling, that Feingold obviously didn't know what he was doing.

Jesus. This is why I'm glad I'm trying to be a journalist and not a politician- I am a politics junkie, but I in no way want to be anything more than an observer and critic.

Amphetamine on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »

O_o It's like this dude is schizophrenic.

God how I wish that someone famous would channel Colbert for a moment while interviewing Walker and be like "so... earlier you said that this issue was about the budget crisis, rather than politics, but now you're willing to compromise on the budget but not on the union politics... it seems I just caught you in a lie."

Pi-r8 on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

THE FUCK?

Rachel Maddow had a segment on this last night. You know what else is awesome? These Emergency Financial Managers? They can also be a Private Corporations. Yes. Really. Just imagine what life would be like if Comcast was appointed to run your town. What fun would that be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hRn-9JAjNc&feature=related

Am I the only one whos been finding the Daily Show and Colbert Report to be really depressing? Like, its funny and then Im all oh wait, that joke is actually really happening.

emp123 on
    edited March 2011
    emp123 wrote: »
    Am I the only one whos been finding the Daily Show and Colbert Report to be really depressing? Like, its funny and then Im all oh wait, that joke is actually really happening.

You're not the only one. I haven't been watching it regularly recently, just because the funny isn't enough to overcome the rage.

KalTorak on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One hundred years from now, satire will be illegal. Children will be taught about how terrible ideas espoused by satirists, now considered terrorists, were made into actual policy by those to stupid to understand the concept.

The sad truth that the very law outlawing this practice was, itself, an article in The Onion, will be lost to history.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited March 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

You're not the only one. I haven't been watching it regularly recently, just because the funny isn't enough to overcome the rage.

I've tried to watch as well, but so many segments like the one linked earlier, while funny, just make me want to punt a baby while raping a puppy. Or is it the punt a puppy and rape a baby? Either way, they make me really really fucking angry and the laughter just can not overcome that much anger.

Veevee on
    edited March 2011
    The reason The Daily Show is good is because it's the last news source that is really, honest to goodness, reporting the news.

The reason most places stopped doing real news is because news is pretty sad and depressing, so, they sensationalize it to make it more appealing. Which surmounts to, basically, corporate propaganda.

bowen on
    edited March 2011
    I've started to get all my news from Craig Ferguson. At least there I can be assured of always knowing it's a great day for america.

Veevee on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »

THE FUCK?

You know how a lot of people are always like "oh fuck it, I'm moving to Canada" in a kind of joking way?

I live in Canada. I'm Canadian. Shit like this makes me feel like I need to get away. Like being in Canada isn't even enough of a buffer anymore.

Fuck it, I'm moving to Finland.

Al_wat on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    More like Satirrorists amirite?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited March 2011
    More like Satirrorists amirite?

:? Don't give them ideas.

bowen on
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If we can't laugh at the absurdity of it all, we will simply break down and cry instead. Sometimes—like when I read that Idaho actually took away collective bargaining—it is too much, and I just have to try and distance myself from it all before I lose my sanity.

Paragon on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i try to view american politics purely as entertainment but then I do silly things like read about the battle of blair mountain again and then think how unions are viewed in the US today and get angry

L|ama on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    i try to view american politics purely as entertainment but then I do silly things like read about the battle of blair mountain again and then think how unions are viewed in the US today and get angry

Id be more inclined to do this if I didnt live in the United States.

emp123 on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've started to get all my news from Craig Ferguson. At least there I can be assured of always knowing it's a great day for america.

CBS Cares!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    The reason The Daily Show is good is because it's the last news source that is really, honest to goodness, reporting the news.

The reason most places stopped doing real news is because news is pretty sad and depressing, so, they sensationalize it to make it more appealing. Which surmounts to, basically, corporate propaganda.

And people say cyberpunk would never happen. That's like the media background of every cyberpunk/dystopian novel ever.

Shit, at least in cyberpunk novels the characters can use virtual reality as escapism. We don't even have that. The best we've got is the internet, Second Life (Still can't believe a frigging virtual chat program of all things took off financially like it did.), and WoW.

Still waiting for my jetpack too, by the way.

Archonex on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, you know what suddenly occurs to me? If the Republicans might suffer because of the recalls, maybe the rules should be changed.
    "The ironic thing to me is that, you know, at this point we've got senators under recall that haven't even voted on anything and you know, we've got an assemblyman [Gordon Hintz (D)] that was arrested in Oshkosh (sic) for being at a massage parlor -- and he's not under recall. I mean, I think it really makes a case for, you know, are our recall statutes legit? And it really makes you wonder if they shouldn't be revisited at some point."

Later in the press conference, Fitzgerald was asked what he would like to see changed about the recall process, and whether he had anything specific in mind.

"Yeah, I mean, I've always been a believer that recall probably would be more appropriate if a legislator was involved in some type of, you know, either criminal activity, or something that could be deemed, you know, unethical," said Fitzgerald. "Not related to simply taking a stance on a tough vote. And you know, I think there's other legislators that feel that way as well."

Seriously, F Scott Fitzgerald.

Taramoor on
This discussion has been closed.