As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yo Momma So U[Glee] She...

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Watched latest episode! Kinda forgot this.

Beiste is best.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    They kinda had to go that way. It's a network show, there's no way they could have done anything but condemn underage drinking without becoming a major story on fox news and the like

Then again it's probably the first primetime show ever to feature the word "scissoring". And on Fox, no less.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He had them take the pledge because they were "in-training," and then he gave them his phone number so they wouldn't have to drive home after inevitably getting drunk again anyway.

Then he said he'd buy them all a round if they won regionals.

Basically, the conclusion was that drinking isn't inherently bad, but that it's uncouth to get so hammered that it affects your daily life and personal relationships. Also, total abstinence is unlikely, so discourage kids from drinking while also offering to help them when they decide to get drunk anyway.

That's nothing like MADD's zero-tolerance, neo-prohibitionist approach to alcohol.

Yeah and instead of showing MADD's "if you drink you will die a horrible death" routine they showed the real danger of alcohol. Drunk Dialing, making out with people you shouldn't and generally making a fool of yourself. :)

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    He had them take the pledge because they were "in-training," and then he gave them his phone number so they wouldn't have to drive home after inevitably getting drunk again anyway.

Of sparkling cider. I'm assuming he wasn't offering to buy a bunch of minors a round of beers.
    Basically, the conclusion was that drinking isn't inherently bad, but that it's uncouth to get so hammered that it affects your daily life and personal relationships. Also, total abstinence is unlikely, so discourage kids from drinking while also offering to help them when they decide to get drunk anyway.

That's nothing like MADD's zero-tolerance, neo-prohibitionist approach to alcohol.

Except Schu didn't say "I got way too drunk, from now on I shall exercise restraint and not drink myself blind." He said, "Drinking is bad, so I will no longer have a beer when I get home from a long day at work because alcohol is the devil's nectar."

The show could certainly have handled it worse. But Schu giving up alcohol completely was stupid and sends the wrong message about alcohol. It makes it sound like the moral ideal is never drinking at all, and if you make a mistake then you can be forgiven. As opposed to establishing that there is nothing wrong with alcohol at all, and drinking is perfectly fine, provided you do so in a responsible manner.

It's not like kid's shouldn't drink because alcohol is evil. Kid's shouldn't drink because it's illegal and because they're unlikely to handle it responsibly. (And honestly, I have no problem with kids having a bit to drink under supervision of a responsible grown-up.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought he stopped drinking to set an example for the kids, which is why he announced it to them and encouraged them to do the same. Earlier, he said he felt like a hypocrite for telling them not to drink when he doesn't hold himself to the same standard.

I also don't think drinking was painted as a moral issue. The closest thing to moral condemnation was referring to the performance as "unprofessional." Otherwise, it was strictly a matter of embarrassing yourself when you don't drink responsibly.

I totally misheard "sparkling cider" as something alcoholic, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't take it seriously, because its a goddamn joke. It's just feeding of the High School Musical bullshit Disney fed to the masses and Fox pounced on it. So now everyone thinks they can sing and that shitty pop-cover songs are the best thing to happen.

I really don't get how anyone can watch this shit seriously or jokingly.

HSM and Glee are so drastically difference from each other that I can't help but to think you've watched one episode and decided to write it off. Which is absolutely fine of course. That's just a bad comparison.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    tumblr_lh1sizMeIT1qafc4ho1_500.png

Opium on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't take it seriously, because its a goddamn joke. It's just feeding of the High School Musical bullshit Disney fed to the masses and Fox pounced on it. So now everyone thinks they can sing and that shitty pop-cover songs are the best thing to happen.

HSM and Glee are so drastically difference from each other that I can't help but to think you've watched one episode and decided to write it off. Which is absolutely fine of course. That's just a bad comparison.

I've never seen the full High School Musical, but some of the musical productions in Glee are incredibly overproduced like some of the High School Musical performances I've heard with the non harmonized choir effect. It really started with the second episode when Santana, Brittney, and Quinn sang "Say a Little Prayer for You" and it sounded like Quinn was singing over a choir of women from The Supremes cover groups. I was actually very pleasantly surprised that their performances this week strayed away from some of that. When I heard the chorus in "Blame it on the Alcohol" it gave me some hope for the future.

Obviously, Glee pushes the limits in comparison to a Disney production, but when Glee is doing the random songs without the context of a performance (singing in the halls and such) or is having one of those "very special episode" kind of moments, there's some overlap.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    devCharles wrote: »

I've never seen the full High School Musical, but some of the musical productions in Glee are incredibly overproduced like some of the High School Musical performances I've heard with the non harmonized choir effect. It really started with the second episode when Santana, Brittney, and Quinn sang "Say a Little Prayer for You" and it sounded like Quinn was singing over a choir of women from The Supremes cover groups. I was actually very pleasantly surprised that their performances this week strayed away from some of that. When I heard the chorus in "Blame it on the Alcohol" it gave me some hope for the future.

Obviously, Glee pushes the limits in comparison to a Disney production, but when Glee is doing the random songs without the context of a performance (singing in the halls and such) or is having one of those "very special episode" kind of moments, there's some overlap.
    That's because they are both musicals. That and the age of the characters is the really the only thing Glee and HSM have in common.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It didn't start out that way in the pilot though. Every musical sequence made sense in context of singing as a Glee Club. It presented itself as a subversion of what High School Musical was, including the ridiculously out of place and somewhat random musical numbers. Now it undulates between being just a musical in high school about a Glee Club with more outlandish characters and the actual subversion it seems it was originally presented as being.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Of sparkling cider. I'm assuming he wasn't offering to buy a bunch of minors a round of beers.

Except Schu didn't say "I got way too drunk, from now on I shall exercise restraint and not drink myself blind." He said, "Drinking is bad, so I will no longer have a beer when I get home from a long day at work because alcohol is the devil's nectar."

The show could certainly have handled it worse. But Schu giving up alcohol completely was stupid and sends the wrong message about alcohol. It makes it sound like the moral ideal is never drinking at all, and if you make a mistake then you can be forgiven. As opposed to establishing that there is nothing wrong with alcohol at all, and drinking is perfectly fine, provided you do so in a responsible manner.

It's not like kid's shouldn't drink because alcohol is evil. Kid's shouldn't drink because it's illegal and because they're unlikely to handle it responsibly. (And honestly, I have no problem with kids having a bit to drink under supervision of a responsible grown-up.)

This is where I really thought things were going to go. After all, what Shu said to the kids was completely right: performing drunk is unprofessional, drinking at school is dumb, and drinking while still underage is illegal. And then Quinn says, "But aren't you being a hypocrite?" I really, really wanted him to say here: I'm an adult who is legally allowed to drink, and I never drink before/during school. Instead, he agreed. Even though he isn't being a hypocrite at all. I felt like the writers wanted us to to side with Bieste's advice (She's the best, btw. I like her more and more.) with the "this pledge is just until Nationals" bit. But then they had to appease the masses with "Also, I, Shu, will never drink again!" A totally unnecessary length to go to considering the other delicate topic hashed about using high schoolers as protagonists. There was enough emphasis of the "be responsible while drinking" beyond just "don't drive drunk" that I thought that's where the show really wanted to go rather than the "drinking is totally bad always" message that was thrown in there almost as an add-on.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    I really, really wanted him to say here: I'm an adult who is legally allowed to drink, and I never drink before/during school... I felt like the writers wanted us to to side with Bieste's advice (She's the best, btw. I like her more and more.)

I was thinking this same exact thing but couldn't articulate it this well.

Bieste is really growing on me as well, they need more Bieste in the show.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    I agree with the Bieste love.

Though I still think she looks like Kurt Russel in drag.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kurt Russel is awesome too. It would stand to reason that his lookalikes are also awesome.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Opium wrote: »
    tumblr_lh1sizMeIT1qafc4ho1_500.png

heh. look at that face. it's awesome.

After the Beiber episode I had his songs stuck in my head and couldn't get them out >.>

msmya on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i watch it pretty much entirely for the musical numbers

though i am interested in karofsky's fate

I'm waiting for him to admit he's gay and join the glee club. I want that to happen so bad.

AT first I was leery of a special episode about the dangers of drinking, but they pulled it off without being too preachy, but still sending a message. Well they were kind of preachy, but towards both sides of the argument. The fact that the kids all managed to break the law without getting caught and some moral lecture was nice.

It was kind of weird how Rachel went from not drinking to full blown alcoholic in a day.

Magell on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magell wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i watch it pretty much entirely for the musical numbers

though i am interested in karofsky's fate

I'm waiting for him to admit he's gay and join the glee club. I want that to happen so bad.

AT first I was leery of a special episode about the dangers of drinking, but they pulled it off without being too preachy, but still sending a message. Well they were kind of preachy, but towards both sides of the argument. The fact that the kids all managed to break the law without getting caught and some moral lecture was nice.

It was kind of weird how Rachel went from not drinking to full blown alcoholic in a day.

I didn't think so. People who have never drank before tend to be very bad at it if they just jump right in.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really liked last nights episode. It was one of my favorites this season.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I liked last night's episode because it had Coach Bieste, Uncle Jesse and Kurt's Dad in it. The scene with Kurt and his dad in the kitchen was outstanding.

But Jesus Christ figure out what you want to do with Santana's character and just stick with it.

SammyF on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was cringing through the first half of the episode, but Landslide was good, and all the stuff with Burt.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    I really liked last nights episode. It was one of my favorites this season.

I liked it too. And like the first post-Super Bowl episode, it had little or no Sue. Hmm...

Although the Celibacy club coming back from like Episode 2 was a little odd. And I thought Kurt asked his Dad about having "The Talk" in the last episode...seems strange that he'd be trying to avoid it now. Other than that, I thought that scene was really good.

Not a complaint or nitpick, but with the recent format of the show, it seemed weird to not have a big performance at/near the end. I mean, "Afternoon Delight" was the last song.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I mean, "Afternoon Delight" was the last song.

Oh yeah, I meant to say: If you're going to steal from Arrested Development, it needs to be at least mildly amusing.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    I liked last night's episode because it had Coach Bieste, Uncle Jesse and Kurt's Dad in it. The scene with Kurt and his dad in the kitchen was outstanding.

But Jesus Christ figure out what you want to do with Santana's character and just stick with it.

They did. Santana is a lesbian. But she is terrified of the consequences of that. So she stays in the closet and bullies people because she is so angry.

Her dismissal of Artie says it all. "But he's just a boy!" The Santana story was absolutely amazing.

But the sex talk between Kurt and his dad was spectacular. The best sex talk I have ever heard.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

They did. Santana is a lesbian. But she is terrified of the consequences of that. So she stays in the closet and bullies people because she is so angry.

Her dismissal of Artie says it all. "But he's just a boy!" The Santana story was absolutely amazing.

But the sex talk between Kurt and his dad was spectacular. The best sex talk I have ever heard.

I'm sadly not delusional enough to think this is in any way consistent with her character or that it had been planned from previous episodes because there was absolutely no build-up to it. She went from "I'm trying to steal Quinn's boyfriend!" to "I'm trying to steal Artie's girlfriend!" in the space of a single episode without any scenes in any recent previous episodes to establish any sort of consistent character motivation. It is the shittiest of shit writing. It's actually worse than the aforementioned cribbing from Arrested Development.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I'm sadly not delusional enough to think this is in any way consistent with her character or that it had been planned from previous episodes because there was absolutely no build-up to it. She went from "I'm trying to steal Quinn's boyfriend!" to "I'm trying to steal Artie's girlfriend!" in the space of a single episode without any scenes in any recent previous episodes to establish any sort of consistent character motivation. It is the shittiest of shit writing. It's actually worse than the aforementioned cribbing from Arrested Development.

Yeah it went completely over you head. I get that. Also this isn't the arrested development thread.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Whats there to get about Santana? She wanted to steal Sam away from Quinn because she wanted to be head bitch in charge, not because she loved him. Thats why she tried to get with Finn earlier. Means to an end so to speak.

Santana wants to be with Britany because she loves Britany. Boys are a status symbol/Beards, Britany is love.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mike O'Mally continues to be the best actor in this show by a long mile.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »

True that. Of course he is helped by the fact that his character the only one thats not written ridiculously cartoonish.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kipling217 wrote: »

True that. Of course he is helped by the fact that his character the only one thats not written ridiculously cartoonish.

I'd argue Will's not cartoonish. But they do write him to suit the plot...last week he tries to drunk-dial Emma, this week he sees Holly and forgets she exists.

So, he's dating Holly, Emma wants him, any bets on how long before his ex shows up?
    I put even money on her being knocked up from hooking up with Will when he was sick.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really, Will? You're an expert on romance?

Because the grand total of two relationships you've been in have rather spectacularly gone down in flames.

e: okay, admittedly the thing with his wife wasn't really his fault, but still.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I'd argue Will's not cartoonish. But they do write him to suit the plot...last week he tries to drunk-dial Emma, this week he sees Holly and forgets she exists.

So, he's dating Holly, Emma wants him, any bets on how long before his ex shows up?
    I put even money on her being knocked up from hooking up with Will when he was sick.
    But then it turns out that the kid is Finn's, which is why they had him work part-time at her store for a little while.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

But then it turns out that the kid is Finn's, which is why they had him work part-time at her store for a little while.

Puck's would be funnier.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Puck's would be funnier.

Only if everyone thinks it's Finn's first.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maybe that's how they'll write Finn off the show.

Suicide

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Maybe that's how they'll write Finn off the show.

Suicide

They are writing Finn off the show?

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    News to me. And why couldn't it have been Kurt instead?

My gf can't stop singing Afternoon Delight now. She stops, realizes what's she's singing, and goes apple red.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God I hate that song.

Though, it was pretty funny seeing Emma try and defend its innocence. I almost choked when Gwyneth Paltrow said "No, it's about sneaking off for a nooner."

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gwyneth Paltrow is a great guest-star. I loved seeing her provide sex counseling, and her jazzercise outfit was way cute.

Also, "Everybody's got a random."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They're not writing him off the show but characters are graduating after next season. Maybe Finn won't graduate

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought they were all sophmores last season.

I would have liked Emma's song more if two seconds in you didn't automatically realize "oh dear, she doesn't know what Afternoon Delight really means, does she?"

I mean I get it, she's the quiet, naive one with the germ phobia, but that just seemed a little too naive.

VoodooV on