As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] Thread: The root of all roms - market.android.com now live

1565758596062»

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jiran.GPSAlarm gps alarm? Might only work for locations saved by being there

edit: GPS Location Alarm looks better

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.agila.wakeme&feature=search_result

Alegis on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah I stopped using the protector on my X as it made the touchscreen feel sluggish

Yeah, unless you stupidly keep sharp things in the same pocket as your phone, screen protectors are entirely superfluous. My Incredible's screen (which doesn't even have fancy Gorilla Glass) looks just as good as the day I got it.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I understand the perspectives on the screen protectors; I probably don't need one.

But you all haven't met my wife. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got a cheapo plastic case on my X from eBay, it was like 4 bucks. My wife bought it with her case for her Incredible. I don't really use the case that much, sometimes I just put it on and leave it for a few weeks out of boredom to make it look a little different.

Allforce on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Looks like the Droid X has Gorilla Glass, so a protector isn't worth it. It's unlikely to scratch unless you keep it in a pocket with keys all the time.

I got an InvisibleShield for my Optimus V (which has a plastic screen that scratches like crazy, I got micro-scratches in the week I waited for the protector to arrive from Amazon), and like Buillo, found that unless you are in a clean zone, you're not going to be able to apply it without dust underneath. I spent ages trying to apply it sans dust, and it just doesn't seem possible (I watched the pros do it at the mall the other day, they don't even look for dust, and I can't imagine that their application technique makes any difference). I have reached a point where I don't notice it because the rest of the protector is so beat up, not because my phone looks great :)

Do you like the optimus v? I am looking to get a new phone, I currently have a G1, so I kind of figure that anything will be better but I can't find reviews for this phone most places. Does virgin mobile have a lot of bloatware on it?

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kistra wrote: »
    Do you like the optimus v? I am looking to get a new phone, I currently have a G1, so I kind of figure that anything will be better but I can't find reviews for this phone most places. Does virgin mobile have a lot of bloatware on it?

I love it. I haven't been able to get a Real Smartphone (TM) because I can't afford $70-$90 contracts. I pay $25 a month for unlimited data, text, and 300 minutes of voice. It suits me perfectly, and is actually cheaper than my Verizon contract with my "feature"phone.

Sprint's coverage seems to be not as good as Verizon, and VM is a bit spotty sometimes with data, but I live in the Bay Area, so I'm mostly OK.

The phone is definitely mid-level, and once you accept that, it's great. It's not supposed to stand toe-to-toe with a Droid X or iPhone. I can do everything I want with it.

VM actually don't load it with a bunch of crapware. It has some, but not a lot, because I get the impression VM doesn't care all that much. It's stock Froyo (with Swype), and although they got rid of the wireless tethering menu item, they didn't actually disable the functionality. I use Quick Settings from the Market, which lets me turn it back on, so I get tethering for free (with my unlimited data) without even needing to root it!

It's an amazing deal. I sometimes think about how little I pay, then I laugh so much I pee a little.

Lewisham on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm really getting into ADW.

Had LauncherPro for awhile and it worked good, but so far ADW seems a lot more smooth. The icon edit prompt that comes up is great, and I like the dock & home screen options.

Would still recommend trying both.

MichaelLC on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zeam is pretty sweet, too, particularly if you're after something lightweight. It's more like LauncherPro than ADW, but it's lighter, has a few less features and runs like a dream on something relatively under-powered like my Wildfire.

Cyvros on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That sounds good too, since I've got an Optimus S.

Almost feel bad ditching the default Home since Sprint is trying with their "IDs," and has opened it up more than any other phone I've had with them.

MichaelLC on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Been using free LauncherPro, but just downloaded ADW and Zeam for my LG Ally (which is pretty sluggish with LauncherPro at times). Thanks for the recommendations!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone know of a good international time widget? It'd be nice to know what time it is back in the States without having to rely on my spotty memory/Daylight Savings changes.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cyanogenmod 7 just hit RC 2 on the Droid. I've been using it since the first round of nightlies, and I have to say, it seriously is just the little things that make this so good. Gingerbread has a few quirks running on the old Droid now, namely memory issues, but once you sort those out it is just fantastic.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am a staunch ADW proponent. Used LauncherPro and Go Launcher, and frankly ADW seems head and shoulders better than them both. My primary concern with a launcher is that it makes it easy to customize icons, for which ADW is the best.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I'm in the market for a new phone and I was thinking Android.
    Is Android as open, well developed and most importantly SUPPORTED by everything as I think?
    Also,I have NO idea how to find out which phone is going to be future proof/not gimped.
    We have some really weird phones in Germany. I got this offer for an LG phone, but it seems like a really cheap one..

Does anyone have an opinion on the Samsung Galaxy S?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Everything I've read and heard has led me to only one conclusion: never, ever buy a Samsung smartphone, particularly if it's one of their Android phones. The reasons I can recall off the top of my head are: god-awful delays for any system updates, no notification LEDs and cheap-feeling all-plastic builds. Something else the Galaxy S doesn't have, for whatever bizarre reason, is a camera flash. It's their flagship phone, is plastic and doesn't even have a camera flash. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but bloody hell, I'd expect more out of a high-end phone.

The only thing really going for the Galaxy S is that it has a really, really good screen.

Just going by companies' histories with Android phones, HTC is one of the safer bets. Good build quality, fairly decent cameras, notification LEDs, fairly good screens and they seem to actually care about updates. HTC's 2011 range isn't really inspiring--they're mostly tweaked versions of last year's more successful models--but they mostly have pretty solid specs. As do most of its 2010 range.

Which phone is the LG one? They've done a few Android phones, but most of the ones I've seen (admittedly, this is in Australia) have been Android 1.5-2.0.

Cyvros on
    edited March 2011
    Oh my, that doesn't sound very good D:
    The Samsung looked so nice :(

I guess I'll look at the HTC Desire? I hope I can get something that's not outside my price range...
    The LG one was...uh...some "500something" phone, I think.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Klyka wrote: »

I've got one, it's awesome. Took them an age to update to 2.2, and I imagine we'll be waiting several months for subsequent upgrades. That said, the Galaxy S 2.1 had most of the features of 2.2 (tethering, text selection ,etc.).

It's a hell of a phone. Gorgeous screen too. Battery life is wank, but it is on all smartphones.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    they just pushed out a galaxy 4G on TMob, i can't imagine them not doing an updated version on all the other carriers

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I've got one, it's awesome. Took them an age to update to 2.2, and I imagine we'll be waiting several months for subsequent upgrades. That said, the Galaxy S 2.1 had most of the features of 2.2 (tethering, text selection ,etc.).

It's a hell of a phone. Gorgeous screen too. Battery life is wank, but it is on all smartphones.

I actually read that the 2.3 update is supposed to come out this month?
    I will check out the phone in the store. Maybe tomorrow!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I actually read that the 2.3 update is supposed to come out this month?
    I will check out the phone in the store. Maybe tomorrow!

2.2 was supposed to come out every month for about six months :) If I was more motivated, I'd stick custom firmware on it. Maybe I will one day.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am a staunch ADW proponent. Used LauncherPro and Go Launcher, and frankly ADW seems head and shoulders better than them both. My primary concern with a launcher is that it makes it easy to customize icons, for which ADW is the best.

What does ADW have going for it?

EDIT: Oh, it seems to support many, many themes. Does LauncherPro?

Neurotika on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    flashing new thread rom in 30 seconds

edit: flash succesful

Alegis on
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Everything I've read and heard has led me to only one conclusion: never, ever buy a Samsung smartphone, particularly if it's one of their Android phones. The reasons I can recall off the top of my head are: god-awful delays for any system updates, no notification LEDs and cheap-feeling all-plastic builds. Something else the Galaxy S doesn't have, for whatever bizarre reason, is a camera flash. It's their flagship phone, is plastic and doesn't even have a camera flash. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but bloody hell, I'd expect more out of a high-end phone.
    I have a Samsung Epic, and all of these are not true on my phone. Except for the update delays.

But it didn't bother me because I had a kickass phone, that has a notification LED(It's blue), doesn't feel like plastic, and has a brighter than fuck flash.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
    edited March 2011
    Good to know not all of their phones are like that. I was thinking more of the current Galaxy S when I wrote that. I've just gotten so many bad impressions about the current Samsung range.

Cyvros on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh my, that doesn't sound very good D:
    The Samsung looked so nice :(

I guess I'll look at the HTC Desire? I hope I can get something that's not outside my price range...
    The LG one was...uh...some "500something" phone, I think.

I wouldn't buy a Desire. Not even on a fucking bet.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why? The Desire is pretty great in my experience.

LaCabra on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cokebotle on
    工事中