As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATMAN] Where Are You?!? Here. Arkham City Out Now

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just recently picked this one back up after beating it a long time ago - I still can't get over how superior that the fighting mechanics are to so many other games. I played sewer bat, for what may have been several hundred times, over the course of 3 or 4 nights. I ONLY played that until I finally three batted it; and I enjoyed every single round.

It's simple, but so damn effective, and mastery of it is really a lot more difficult than I would have thought initially.

If the sequel were crappy, but had similar fighting, it would probably be worth the price of admission.
    it won't be crappy

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Green LantenGreen Lanten Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Luke wrote:
    Rocksteady show their appreciation to the AC community once again! A recent post in the official Arkham City community site has sparked an official request for feedback. Regarding in-game rewards, what would you like to be credited for when playing Arkham City? Taking out six guards with two tripple take-downs? Clearing an entire room without being seen? Or how about taking out a group of thugs using only one gadget?

Well make sure to have your say and give some feedback to Sarah here!
    SarahMay wrote:
    What Batman Moves/Combat would you like to be rewarded for?
    Hi,

So, in Batman: Arkham City what Batman moves and Batman Combat would you like to be rewarded for? Or even what exploration would you like to be rewarded for in Arkham City?

Please post any ideas, you never know what may happen to them

SarahMay
    Community Manager, Rocksteady.

So, what achievements/rewards would everyone like to see feature in AC? Voice your opinions with a post below! We'll also be announcing how you can possibly get your questions answered by Rocksteady, stay tuned!

http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1782

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Sweet merciful crap why did I wait so long to play this game?! Wow.

My friend looked at me weird when I said that I couldn't wait for Scarecrow to dose me with fear gas again.

YEAHHHHHH BATMAN

;-)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

My friend looked at me weird when I said that I couldn't wait for Scarecrow to dose me with fear gas again.

YEAHHHHHH BATMAN

;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEMgChZLqNs&feature=player_detailpage#t=2s

Seriously, I owned this game for over a year before I fired it up. What the hell is wrong with me? I won't be making that mistake with the sequel.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just beat the story last night, myself.

I still can't believe how good this game is and I await Arkham City with barely constrained joy.

My four year old son watched me play through the endgame, from the showdown with Ivy to the end. As Batman fought, my boy (wonder) fought too, with proper sound effects and the occasional proclamation of, "I'm Batman!" I'm sooo proud!

Drake on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

YEAHHHHHH BATMAN

;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEMgChZLqNs&feature=player_detailpage#t=2s

Seriously, I owned this game for over a year before I fired it up. What the hell is wrong with me? I won't be making that mistake with the sequel.

Thank you for this. It led me to
    the full theme

big l on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Honestly, those sections only get better as the game goes on.

The last one might fuck with you a little.

I'm currently playing through right now for the first time as well. I love the scarecrow parts.

Spoiler for one of your encounters with him:
    I think he's gone now right? I overcame his hallucinogens and eventually Killer Croc pulled him into the water...dead?

I loved the part where you play as the Joker and Batman is the one in restraints. I was really confused when he shoots you and the retry screen came up with a message about dodging the bullet. I'm guessing that's pretty much just a joke right?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heir wrote: »

I'm currently playing through right now for the first time as well. I love the scarecrow parts.

I think he's gone now right? I overcame his hallucinogens and eventually Killer Croc pulled him into the water...dead?

I loved the part where you play as the Joker and Batman is the one in restraints. I was really confused when he shoots you and the retry screen came up with a message about dodging the bullet. I'm guessing that's pretty much just a joke right?
    Yep, he's gone.

And the hint about dodging the bullet was another way to mess with you... dunno about PC, but on the 360 it said "use the middle stick to dodge Joker's bullet." For a few moments I was "wait, what the hell?" but then I got the picture after I hit retry and things proceeded.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heir wrote: »

Yep, he's gone.

And the hint about dodging the bullet was another way to mess with you... dunno about PC, but on the 360 it said "use the middle stick to dodge Joker's bullet." For a few moments I was "wait, what the hell?" but then I got the picture after I hit retry and things proceeded.

Yeah I figured as much. Thanks...gotta say this game is just so well done. Pretty much a Batman: The Animated Series fan's wet dream. I wonder which version of Batman they modeled his face off of? I got a definite Michael Keaton feel from his jawline and face.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There are plenty of stories about people freaking out about their console when the game freaks out.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There are plenty of stories about people freaking out about their console when the game freaks out.

Reminds me of that incident with that horror game on the GCN...where it faked the game messing up and a lot of people reset their consoles thinking something went wrong.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Reminds me of that incident with that horror game on the GCN...where it faked the game messing up and a lot of people reset their consoles thinking something went wrong.

Eternal Darkness. That game was great.

Fucking bathtub...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Eternal Darkness. That game was great.

Fucking cat in the cupboard...

Eternal Darkness is the reason Too Human sucks. Everybody liked ED, so what do they do? 'Hey! Let's focus on a trilogy that isn't ED!'

Rocksteady decided to follow up a really awesome game with another game in the same universe. Sometimes, exploiting a successful IP isn't a bad thing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »

I still can't believe how good this game is and I await Arkham City with barely constrained joy.

My four year old son watched me play through the endgame, from the showdown with Ivy to the end. As Batman fought, my boy (wonder) fought too, with proper sound effects and the occasional proclamation of, "I'm Batman!" I'm sooo proud!

Right up until he gets you killed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

Yeah I'd hold off on telling him Bruce Wayne's backstory for a few years, just in case.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    subedii wrote: »

Yeah I'd hold off on telling him Bruce Wayne's backstory for a few years, just in case.

"Well son, one day, Bruce Wayne was bringing his father a beer from the fridge and, well, he became Batman."

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

"Well son, one day, Bruce Wayne was bringing his father a beer from the fridge and, well, he became Batman."

Aaaaaand reported for awesome.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Damnit, if I knew that was going to happen I'd have dressed for the occasion.

edit: to be on topic though, glad you enjoyed AA, man. I tried the demo and wasn't totally sold on it, but after reading all the hype and hearing its combat be described as a 'masterclass', decided to pick it up some time after release. Easily one of the best games I played that year.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    :lol:

Yeah. I think I'll go with the beer fetching back story.

Better safe than sorry. Plus, it's a long way to the fridge.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Just dress like you're going to the theatre.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Ooh, Die Fledermaus!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Just finished the Killer Croc area....sheesh that was tense. They did a great job of making him pretty terrifying looking.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Ooh, Die Fledermaus!

tickS1-4.jpg

subedii on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Ooh, Die Fledermaus!

tickS1-4.jpg

Argh, beat me to it.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2vudh1e.jpg
    2morybq.jpg

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

edit: to be on topic though, glad you enjoyed AA, man. I tried the demo and wasn't totally sold on it, but after reading all the hype and hearing its combat be described as a 'masterclass', decided to pick it up some time after release. Easily one of the best games I played that year.
    I never played the demo. Out of curiosity, what part of the game did it offer?

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Basically the beginning, right up to Zsasz.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    which connected directly to the first predator room

Joolander on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would hope they skipped the intro stuff and dropped you in just before the first fight. Not to say that the intro isn't great for getting you into the mood and story of the game, but for a demo, it doesn't seem like it would grab someone in those crucial first five minutes if all they're doing is watching cutscenes and following the guards around.

On a completely different note,
    how the hell did Gordon get his ass captured the second time? It's like he wants to be the next Lois Lane or Princess Peach.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    forty wrote: »
    I would hope they skipped the intro stuff and dropped you in just before the first fight. Not to say that the intro isn't great for getting you into the mood and story of the game, but for a demo, it doesn't seem like it would grab someone in those crucial first five minutes if all they're doing is watching cutscenes and following the guards around.

They did. It wasn't totally the full beginning of the game since there were shortcuts thrown in. But the demo was, more or less, the opening gameplay sequence. When people talk about how the demo was uninspiring but the game was so full, they're really saying that the game was better because you could actually go places.

The demo did what it set out to do, but otherwise wasn't very interesting.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Whats kind of funny is that Batman:AA was the first "next gen" game I ever played.

Kind of made the rest of the "next gen" era seem sucky when I find out Batman was an exception, not the rule.

(Not that I hate the last 5 years of games or whatever, just starting on such a high note meant anything else sucked by comparison.)

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    forty wrote: »

They did. It wasn't totally the full beginning of the game since there were shortcuts thrown in. But the demo was, more or less, the opening gameplay sequence. When people talk about how the demo was uninspiring but the game was so full, they're really saying that the game was better because you could actually go places.

The demo did what it set out to do, but otherwise wasn't very interesting.

I wouldn't say it was a bad demo, but it's one of those games that needs some time to really get the joy of the combat. You'll walk through stuff, be jumped by guys, punch them to the ground or die, and go "that's it?". You need to do that a few times to actually make things flow, which is where the game really shines.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-11-batman-arkham-city-preview
    Eurogamer previews the game. Not a whole lot new tbh

Big Classy on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Out on 10/18.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Actually, we DO have an exact date:
    Update: Warner Bros. just officially announced the North American release date: October 18. The publisher also confirmed the previously reported release date of October 21 for "Europe and other global territories." The game arrives October 19 in Australia.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/11/report-batman-arkham-city-out-in-europe-october-21/

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peewi on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wooo, another case of publisher douchbaggery for the UK.

I know it's only 3 more days but jesus why the fuck does every game come out later here.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Green LantenGreen Lanten Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Future Batman: Arkham City announcements will fill multiplayer void - Rocksteady
    We've been well and truly told by Rocksteady that Batman: Arkham City multiplayer isn't going to happen.

But those worrying that the omission will dent their game's replay value, fear not: Rocksteady has promised CVG that planned future revelations about the game will more than make up for the disappointment.

"In terms of replayability or filling out a single-player story with additional features, there are more announcements that we're going to make, which I think will solve that problem," said marketing game manager Dax Ginn.
    "Well, I don't feel it's a problem but I think we've got a pretty decent chunky game."

He continued: "In addition to that, we didn't want to do a multiplayer game because it would have meant splitting the team in half really - having guys focusing on the multiplayer mode while the other half focused on the single-player game. I think that would have resulted in two average games rather than one awesome game."

Dax said that Rocksteady's greatest challenge when building the game was to fill its massive capacity - to "make sure there was enough story in there so it didn't feel like there was a big world that was full of nothing to do."

He added: "That was probably our biggest fear; making a game world that's five times bigger than Arkham Island. It's a huge technical and creative challenge for us but as soon as we made that decision we were absolutely committed to making sure everywhere you turn in Arkham City there's story coming at you.

"Then, on top of that, building missions and genuine gameplay that feed into that game world so that you never get to the point where you're flippantly doing side-missions that have got nothing to do with the main story."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293163/news/future-batman-arkham-city-announcements-will-fill-multiplayer-void-rocksteady/

This is most probably about challenge mode being brought back for arkham city. Because nothing has been said about it until maybe now.

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate the modern thinking of what seems like all publishers and some journos that not having multiplayer is a bad thing.

The first game was amazingly well recieved yet all of a sudden multiplayer is a glaring omission? Anything that isn't CoD or Battlefield tends to die out after the first couple of weeks anyway.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wooo, another case of publisher douchbaggery for the UK.

I know it's only 3 more days but jesus why the fuck does every game come out later here.

Eh, it's mostly just standards these days. Stuff gets released on Fridays in the UK, in the US the standard is Tuesdays. It's how the industries are organised. I don't really see it as a big deal, or even a small one.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.