As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Making Callouses

SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, with the glory of summer newly upon us, I am able once again to resume firedancing and practicing out of doors. I took almost six months off from my short staves, 2" dia. rods about the length of an arm, focusing mainly on fingerwork (lighter, shorter rods and doable inside). As a side effect, the heavy callouses on the insides of my thumbs and forefingers have all but vanished, and so starting up again is blistering the skin there.

Now ordinarily, I wouldn't really care. I'd just work them until they tore a bit, even the wear by changing technique, and switching out to other position completely to avoid problem areas. I'm wondering though if there's a better way. (and also less socially obvious than torn up hands) I was thinking of covering starter blisters with tape or something to let them heal and still practice. I'm still warming up on fundamentals after my time off, so I work those areas heavily, sort of unavoidable for this first stretch. My second thought though, was whether or not the callouses would still form properly if they are not being worked.

Does anybody have experience with this? And also perhaps how to keep the skin soft, so you can have the tough spots there without them becoming dry and rough? It would be great to have some pointers for this.

Sarcastro on

• SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Really?? Nobody has returned to something hard on their hands after taking time off? No musicians, sportspeople, Martial Arts practicioners, seasonal workers or anything? No advice or horror stories at all? Hunh.

Sarcastro on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm a horrible on again off again guitar player and I can tell you that my perception is callouses come back a lot quicker once you've had them.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • GabrielQGabrielQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll throw in my two cents:

I am a drummer, I play (or work hand technique, which is playing with weighted sticks on a practice pad) probably about 5-8 hours every day. (It is my hobby and my major in school, plus band practice)

To avoid blistering:

Change your grip if you experience any increased friction at the contact points of your hands. Any heat or odd sensation, switch it up a bit. Don't wait for it to become an "ouch, time to switch" thing, thats waiting too long.
    Take breaks often. Don't use anything with chips or scratches in it (might not be a problem for you but it is for me).

To create callouses:

Stay on a steady regimine but don't hurt your hands. Having a little blister is fine but if the skin starts coming off, its leaking pus or blood (ew!), or any other gross stuff you are in for some pain. Don't try and get them instantly or your hands won't heal and build up. I don't really know the facts about this, but I have always thought building callouse is similar to building muscle. The more regular your routine is (including time for rest) the better off you are.

Sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense, I am a little distracted at the moment.

Good luck!

GabrielQ on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Use surgical spirit.

Just apply it to the areas of skin that are tender (you know that way the skin goes before it blisters) after you practice. It dries the skin out really quickly and builds up a callous faster. Don't apply it to an actual blister, or you'll seriously regret it.

japan on