As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week 5/31/2007

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    The Boys really bugs me, for that specific reason. He's doing the same frustrating thing that J. Scott Campbell does, and Millar did with Wanted, writing comics with the specific intent of it getting picked up for a movie.

Whippy on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    From what I've been able to scope out on the Net it looks really up my alley. I wish there was a comics store around where I lived... ah well, might have to see what kind of internet comics retailer I can find in Australia.

devoir on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Teen Titans all the way...
    Robin kicking Jason Todd in the balls? Priceless.

Please. there has to be a scan of this around somewhere.

http://pics.livejournal.com/espanolbot/pic/000esatk/

Ugh.

So brilliant in concept, so lame in execution.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The last double page on GL#20 had me laughing.

"Gotta collect em all!"

Synthetic Orange on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just don't see why somebody who clearly hates superheroes keeps writing them.

It's not like his critiques are very insightful, or that his jokes are particularly funny.

He pulled out the tired Batman fucks Robin joke, for the love of God.

You know, I used to think Ennis was ok. I did not like a lot of his stuff, but really liked some of it. Now, I am starting to get really tired of "superheroes are so dumb" over and over and over. I mean I do not buy it, but it still gets on my nerves. The man has talent, I think. He has written some good stuff. I am not saying it is as bad as Mark Twain sitting around writing fart jokes all day, but it is a waste of talent.

DouglasDanger on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Boys really bugs me, for that specific reason. He's doing the same frustrating thing that J. Scott Campbell does, and Millar did with Wanted, writing comics with the specific intent of it getting picked up for a movie.
    Has he said that?

Because I really haven't gotten that vibe. I mean he's planned it out for like five years.

Sars_Boy on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah, i don't think that's true for garth ennis. i gotta say, i felt the same way about the boys until i picked up the trade yesterday. i wasn't even a little bit interested, but the guy in my comic shop insisted, and he never ever tries to sell me anything, so i was like why not. i fucking loved it.

it's like wanted, if wanted had remembered to have a core of human decency. it's fucking great, and i might start picking it up in singles just to boost their numbers. i could tell that i probably wouldn't have liked the first arc in singles, but in trade it was so much fun. somehow ennis became a fucking great writer and i missed it, even though i've been reading his punisher ever since it started coming out.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It's not like his critiques are very insightful, or that his jokes are particularly funny.

You know, I used to think Ennis was ok. I did not like a lot of his stuff, but really liked some of it. Now, I am starting to get really tired of "superheroes are so dumb" over and over and over. I mean I do not buy it, but it still gets on my nerves. The man has talent, I think. He has written some good stuff. I am not saying it is as bad as Mark Twain sitting around writing fart jokes all day, but it is a waste of talent.

Someone should write a letter to him.

"Dear Mr. Ennis.
    We get it.
    You hate Superheroes and enjoy gay jokes.
    Please move on."

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2007

i mean, hugie's the only character who actually looks like someone famous, and at the time they started doing the series, he wasn't even famous in america, plus it was entirely robertson's idea to base his look of simon pegg, so y'know

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2007
    man, you guys are killin' me

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like the Boys well enough. The idea that superheroes can be some truly terrible people as the basis for a book isn't the worst way you can go about things. I think the execution is pretty good, overall.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2007
    it really does remind me of wanted. all the characters you might initially want to sympathize with all turn out to be complete and total assholes, but this time they don't just have free reign over the entire world to rape and murder with no consequence. it's a lot more satisfying that way.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I like the Boys well enough. The idea that superheroes can be some truly terrible people as the basis for a book isn't the worst way you can go about things. I think the execution is pretty good, overall.

That is one of the central themes in Powers, most of the heroes in that universe are petulant fucktards.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    i was never much more than kind of disappointed in powers

the problem is that it's supposed to be a cop comic (at least, originally), but bendis can't seem to write an effective mystery story. after who killed retro girl, i tried a couple other arcs and it just never did it for me. i dunno. it's too bad, i really like oeming's art a lot. i would effing love it if he wrote and drew a thor comic.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    i was never much more than kind of disappointed in powers

the problem is that it's supposed to be a cop comic (at least, originally), but bendis can't seem to write an effective mystery story. after who killed retro girl, i tried a couple other arcs and it just never did it for me. i dunno. it's too bad, i really like oeming's art a lot. i would effing love it if he wrote and drew a thor comic.

Supergroup and Forever are pretty much the peaks of the series. I dont think I would call it a cop book, it just happens the 2 main characters happen to be cops. And the series has evolved considerably from that setup in the more recent stories.

Forever is fucking epic though I love that story so much.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    well, i guess my main complaint would be that the mysteries are bad, so if there are fewer of them later, maybe i'll check them out. besides who killed retro girl, i read little deaths and role play (in that order) and i decided it wasn't doing it for me

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2007
    I don't even remember which one Little Deaths was :(

And yeah Roleplay was fairly meh.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Which was the one that started with the ape-men flinging poop?

That arc was awesome.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited June 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    Which was the one that started with the ape-men flinging poop?

That arc was awesome.

Thats Forever.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    well is there anything specific i'd need to read before i picked up forever?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The very end kind of links to the who killed retro grl arc, kind of.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited June 2007
    it sounds like i'm all set, then

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Little Deaths made me die a little on the inside...

graizur on
    edited June 2007
    i honestly don't even remember much about that one at this point.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    it's like wanted, if wanted had remembered to have a core of human decency. it's fucking great, and i might start picking it up in singles just to boost their numbers.

Human decency had no place in Wanted.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2007
    apparently

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    The very end kind of links to the who killed retro grl arc, kind of.

Well, it ties in a little bit into that arc, but it ties in heavily to backstory hinted at in that arc.
    It explains what really happaned during the big fight with the Royalle gang and how Walker lost his powers

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    it's like wanted, if wanted had remembered to have a core of human decency. it's fucking great, and i might start picking it up in singles just to boost their numbers.

And yet it still sucked 12 individual flavors of the ass.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited June 2007
    Powers is great and I love every single issue. It continues to make the hair on my forearm stand on end like when
    Walker got the Green Lantern job, powers, and kick ass costume. Or when he told the new Retro girl to stop being stupid and stuff.

graizur on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Powers definitely isn't a cop book. If it's supposed to be, then yea, it kinda failed at that bad enough that I never thought of it as being a cop book. It's just a superhero book where two of the main characters happen to be cops.

Scooter on
    edited June 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Powers definitely isn't a cop book. If it's supposed to be, then yea, it kinda failed at that bad enough that I never thought of it as being a cop book. It's just a superhero book where two of the main characters happen to be cops.

I guess it started out in a sort of NYPD BLUE meets DCU. And it went to various places from there. Some people get really attached, I guess, I never had a problem with it changing genres.

graizur on
    edited June 2007
    well i mean i dunno. i just expected it to be a cop book. it kept kind of being a cop book, but they were never, like, good at it, and eventually i just decided fuck it who cares

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2007
    The Forever trade has the full script for the monkey issue with a foreword by Bendis. It's awesome.

Edit: Maybe I should start a Powers thread.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

And yet it still sucked 12 individual flavors of the ass.

An ass that tastes like French Vanilla ice cream.

Crimsondude on
    edited June 2007
    well that would only be one individual flavor

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2007

"Dear Mr. Ennis.
    We get it.
    Please move on."
    as long as it's good, who cares?

you're just being whiny

Sars_Boy on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

"Dear Mr. Ennis.
    We get it.
    Please move on."

you're just being whiny

I don't find Boys that good.

Or bad.

It's kinda boring. Nothing seems to happen.

Bloods End on
    edited June 2007
    have you read all of the first arc?

also, the book has had one arc to establish itself, and if you ask me it does it quite well.

it's supposed to go on for 5 years, can't people give it a bit more time?

Sars_Boy on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait.
    How long do you expect me to give it?
    If it's going on for 5 years.

"Guys, it's only been going for three years. Give it time."

The Muffin Man on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

"Dear Mr. Ennis.
    We get it.
    Please move on."

you're just being whiny

The Boys isn't very good. That's the point.

It's just Ennis's childish whining about how superheroes are dumb. That kind of stuff can give you good, fun stories, like how he handled it with the Kev stories with the Authority, but at least the Kev stories made everybody look like a bunch of jokers. It was just that the superheroes were jokers in fancy suits with fancy powers.

The Boys is just an excuse for Ennis to make a lot of gay jokes at the expense of superheroes because olol superheroes r gay & dum etcetera. The series lacks any kind of heart and subtlety.

Spectre-x on