As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I am [Iron Man]

13»

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought I heard something along the lines of
    he needs the extra repulsors because he has nerve damage in his hands, or something

Antimatter on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The glowy bits are just extra capitalist excess for the neo-nazi fascist as seen when Tony turns into a Power Ranger for the first time:

im25a.jpg

Also, according to IM #25, the power thing in his chest is basically his heart and brain now

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh yes, the new Iron Man suit is sweet as hell, makes Extremis looks like a child toy.

Solar on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I kindly disagree
    I am not a fan of the design, but am willing to see what he does with it, and I await the inevitable re-design within three or four years :P

Antimatter on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm glad they change the Iron Man armor a lot. It makes sense, considering Tony is always tweaking, changing, and reinventing his own crap.

Lucascraft on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder how heavy Tony is now.

Weaver on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I become interested in Iron Man since the first movie, but where shall I start?

Edit: MArvel has been rather unrepresented in my collection since the days of Generation X.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ummm....

The first Matt Fraction arc is really good, titled "The Five Nightmares." It launched at the time of the first movie. The Most Wanted / Disassembled arc was a bit slow moving and a lot of it felt like filler, but one really cool thing came out of it. Pepper Potts got her own suit and all the parts where she does stuff as Rescue were pretty cool. (Rescue is what she named herself).

The Extremis series is also very well respected.

When I was in college, one of my roommates had a ton of Iron Man stuff, and I read a bunch of his issues from the late 90s and early 2000s. Some of it was pretty good, but sadly I don't remember the names of any of the story arcs. Most of his stuff from the 90s delt with the Mandarin.

Lucascraft on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I become interested in Iron Man since the first movie, but where shall I start?

Edit: MArvel has been rather unrepresented in my collection since the days of Generation X.

Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin
    is a great stand alone mini, I have no idea how it stands in terms of continuity, but it's a retelling of the first meeting between Iron Man and the Mandarin. I'd go so far as calling it a must read.

From 616 I'd happily recommend everything from Iron Man: Extremis up until present day (there is a Civil war trade in there somewhere which I don't really remember but is probably skippable).

Extremis
    Execute Program (weakest of them IMO, the Knauf's gets much better as they go
    Director of SHEILD
    Haunted
    With Iron Hands

Then Secret Invasion Happens, and Extremis goes away. We switch to Fraction, and I can tell you that in trade form it's a sweet read (people moaned about pacing in single issues, which is probably fair enough but irrelevant when read in a trade).

Five Nightmares
    World's Most Wanted Part 1
    World's Most Wanted Part 2

There is also an Omnibus with all three Fraction trades.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also Iron Man: Hypervelocity is an excellent stand-alone.

Wildcat on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As long as you don't take your comics too seriously, Iron Man & Dr. Doom: Doomquest is the best of the older Iron Man material.

Hensler on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you forgot Legacy of Doom for the third part of the trilogy

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dammit, I keep thinking Hensler is TLB.

Silver_Mage on
    edited May 2010
    Hensler is trying to be me in the worst way possible

It'd be flattering if it wasn't so horrifying

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2010
    What if Hensler is actually the USAgent to your Captain America?

Or the War Machine to your Iron Man?

Or your Connor Hawke to your Oliver Queen?

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    are you gonna tell me with a straight face that you could even possibly believe that

come on now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, what's Hensler's position on 80s Arnie movies?

Wildcat on
    edited May 2010
    his position is whatever mine is

because he's trying to talented mister ripley me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2010
    What if you are actually a kid version of Hensler pulled out of time because Hensler was originally you but a time travelling bad guy made him a sleeper villain for so long?

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    no I like my idea better

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Why's everybody comparing and contrasting me with my son all of a sudden?

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    hensler this thing you are doing

it is not a good thing

stop doing it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2010
    The new Iron Man armor is cool and I'm glad to see that Extremis isn't dead, but I liked the mid-80's to 90's era of Iron Man where he had a few hundred suits of armor, one for every situation. The hyrdo armor and the stealth armor were always cool, and the whole Armor Legion team was great.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    That is what Iron Man should be, wearing a different suit of armor every story. They're shouldn't even be a mention of new armor or it being a big deal because it's always changing.

But somehow it always comes back to this streets behind one, always:

47-1.jpg

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Got that cover as a massive poster on my wall bitches.

Solar on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    the whole Armor Legion team was great.

Is that the team that fought Ultimo in Stark's old armors, then got their ass kicked before Stark showed up in the '90s armor?

I felt bad for the dudes who showed up in the first or second generation suits, which were promptly melted off.

Then War Machine punches Stark for being Stark.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to have that comic. That was back when Stark had a broken back or something and so used a wireless connection and had to deal with latency issues and so on.

Fencingsax on
  • JackvinslyJackvinsly Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I think the new iron man armor is good .i used thats comic.that was amazing story i really like it .i was just wondering to about armor that is feet i every role in the hydro armor and the stealth armor were always cool, and the whole Armor Legion team was really great.

Jackvinsly on
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    The new Iron Man armor is cool and I'm glad to see that Extremis isn't dead, but I liked the mid-80's to 90's era of Iron Man where he had a few hundred suits of armor, one for every situation. The hyrdo armor and the stealth armor were always cool, and the whole Armor Legion team was great.

Jackvinsly wrote: »
    I think the new iron man armor is good .i used thats comic.that was amazing story i really like it .i was just wondering to about armor that is feet i every role in the hydro armor and the stealth armor were always cool, and the whole Armor Legion team was really great.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    Mistakes are the portals of discovery, Hensler.

That's original.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    I don't even know what that means, Senor Chang.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    A nice rundown of all the major Iron Man armors up to now

I liked the Renaissance armor the most.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    So instead of being a bad attempt to cash-in on the movie, Iron Man vs Whiplash was actually a really good Iron Man story that I liked better than Fraction's take on the book. Go figure.

Hensler on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler my LCS owner would slap you if you made that comment to him. He thinks IIM is Marvel's best book right now. I don't know about best but I myself really like it.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2010
    So here we go with Iron Man #26, and it's not really wowing me. Again, the best part of the issue was Justine Hammer and her behind the scenes plans to kill Tony's company before it even gets off the ground, and Spymaster is in the issue.

But in regards to Tony, we have Fraction taking another shot at trying to defend CW Tony (but not really) by basically using a straw man of Tony being completely blackout drunk at the Playboy mansion and saying "at the time I thought I was amazing." Well, no, that's not really the same thing. And on top of it Maria Hill even flip flopped on her CW position, getting all pissy at Tony for saying he would still do what he did. There's basically three people I expect to never say they were wrong about the SHRA: Ms. Marvel, Maria Hill, and USAgent.

We also have a scene where they make Tony just a douche 12 years ago (which going by a sliding timeline would make Tony drunk then? I don't know), picking on a guy who just developed some great tech device for him and then seeing what he's doing now. So on top of making CW Tony evil, there's an attempt to say Tony was a jerk even before then, which doesn't really sit well with me if you've read old Iron Man issues, crazy Kang brainwashed Tony notwithstanding.

The new armor also looks clunkier than previously shown, it's not as sleek as the Granov armor looked or even McNiven's interpretation.

So I don't know, the villains are interesting, the main character isn't, and yet we're supposed to feel sorry/get excited for Tony trying to take on the challenge of rebuilding his company. I don't know, really.

TexiKen on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    See, I find the thing's Tony has been saying about "I would probably do it again" as a GOOD thing. Hell, wasn't the big worry about this whole mind backup that he'd be forgiven by everyone because obviously, its all wrong and Tony would never be that much of a dick.

Instead of just whitewashing it all away, its actually being acknowledged and dealt with in a pretty intelligent way, rather than just thrown off to the side with an easy hand wave since he doesn't remember. Really feels like a case of never pleasing people, since this is exactly the opposite direction most stories like this go.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I took it as a good thing as well. Tony is owning up to it saying he doesn't think he was wrong and he's not sorry for the stance he took, maybe just the way things turned out. He said as much in Avengers #1 this week too.

"Rescue" this week was pretty terrible though. I didn't like it at all.

smokmnky on
    edited May 2010
    It might have been worded better in Avengers #1, but in IM #26 he basically says "I was Playboy Man of the Year, I raaaaaged, and did a lot of bad things, including blacking out and yelling at Rhodey and Pepper and wrecking the Playboy mansion"

And he compares that to his CW days and said he would do it again. I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense. If Fraction could have come up with a better comparison it might have worked better. I want Tony to say he would do it again and state why, but his arguments for doing it again aren't being written by someone who wants Tony to basically stand up and make the counter point to Steve and the "SHRA was always bead" zeitgeist that exists in the Marvel U these days, because to do so would mean you have to knock Steve and Thor down a peg and Marvel doesn't want to do that right now.

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kind of sucked to find this thread.

I read the last five issues of Resilient back to back in the last hour, and all together they were pretty great, and now that I see the book has a clear direction, I am admittedly excited.

That said, I still think the arc dragged on way too long, and the Annual about the Mandarin felt very much like filler. Most of the time I spent reading this book in singles has felt wasted. I think I'm going to switch over to trade, especially considering that the current arc sounds like filler, and the FEAR ITSELF arc might propel the storyline a slight bit but probably won't be any sort of revelation.

The arc just dragged so much, but the conclusion really was solid once Iron Man actually popped back up and started doing some stuff. The worst part though is definitely how it felt that I could've picked up at issue 29 (which, coincidently, is where the second trade of this story starts) and gotten absolutely every bit of important info from the first half of the arc.

HadjiQuest on