As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Information and FAQ Thread (QUESTIONS GO HERE!)

• DjnarduDjnardu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone going to the irrational panel to see bioshock infinite?

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the busiest panels and im trying to gauge how early I should head there and line up

Djnardu on
  • TGSeanTGSean Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hi guys! I skimmed through and didn't find anything on this, so if it was answered already then I apologize.

Does anyone have a backpack they would recommend bringing to PAX as far as primary luggage goes? I'm looking for the best space I can get while staying within $100-ish.

TGSean on
  • JedirauJedirau Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    My printer died printing my tickets. I have no barcode but have the little numbers visible below them. Am I good or should I scrap my first trip? PLease help

Jedirau on
  • pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haven't seen this asked:

On the food court: Will the vendors take debit/credit cards...or will it be cash only?

pilferk on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is a thread on essentials to bring where backpacks have been discussed at great length. Alas, I do not remember the title of the thread off the top of my head.

There was an article in the globe about Pax East. Alas, it puts it in a bad light:

www.boston.com/business/ticker/2011/03/convention_cent_5.html?plckfiFindCommentKey=CommentKey:71cba0ad-3890-4599-9ec0-7ab482857856

The main issue of the article is that the BCEC apparently announced (and this a rare thing at best) traffic jam concerns due to the fact that Pax East will be the largest convention ever held in the convention center.
    That particular side of the article, I find hilarious. If there's a traffic jam to get into the convention center, it's a minor thing compared to the living hell one must go through to get to the convention center on a Friday morning in the first place :evil:

All I have to do to get there is get on 93S, take the South St. exit, and hang a left, yet I'll be leaving my house by 8am to get there by 10am on Friday morning. Never mind that if there's no traffic, I can make that run in less than 20 minutes.

The not so funny side of the article, though, is the tone they put on the fact that the Hynes was simply too small for Pax East. I say live and learn. You had to find out how big a space you needed, and I don't know about the rest of you reading this, but I had a great time last year despite the space issues.
    This year; more space, more stuff, more roof to raise, more hell to raise.
    They're saying that people had a bad time at Pax last year. I say we make them jealous this year.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Jedirau wrote: »
    My printer died printing my tickets. I have no barcode but have the little numbers visible below them. Am I good or should I scrap my first trip? PLease help

you should find another printer.

zerzhul on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The best part of that article:
    "the conference is projected to draw 63,000 attendees, said a spokesman for the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority."

So many awesome people :D

antherem on
  • Ice CrackerIce Cracker Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I just went to print out my confirmation letter ticket and it says SCANNED all over it. I never got my packet in the mail (again), what do I do? My train leaves for Boston in two hours!

Ice Cracker on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I were you I'd find a copy/print center nearby. They have computers where you can download your ticket images and print them.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @pilferk
    Last year if my memory servers me correctly the food court in the main entrance area took cash/credit but the food that was being sold near/in the expo area was cash only.

Either way I will make sure I have like 40-50 bucks on me to cover such a thing.

Thanks for the article undead. I love the comments on it...

first they complain the convention sucked cause the venue was too small with one guy saying PAX was an epic fail .. small it may have been but the show was AWESOME ....

then they complain about an article titled "Convention center issues PAX East traffic advisory
    " did not cover more about the convention ... it covered what it was meant to cover :)

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    I just went to print out my confirmation letter ticket and it says SCANNED all over it. I never got my packet in the mail (again), what do I do? My train leaves for Boston in two hours!
    If you purchased your badge on 2/17 or earlier, your badge has been mailed. However, as we have learned many many times before, the postal service is not 100% and when mailing tens of thousands of these things, sometimes stuff doesn't arrive.

No worries - please email your confirmation to pax_questions@paxsite.com and we'll get you all sorted out. Thanks.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, just take the pdf to a Kinko's or something, but if you don't have your badge yet due to ordering late or mailing difficulties, you need to get your ticket printed at the very least.

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • JedirauJedirau Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    My ticket is printed the bar code just didn't print very well. Also where can I find the pdf? Looks like my wife deleted my email confirmation with it on.

Jedirau on
  • superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drop a message to pax_questions@paxsite.com

They should be able to help you out.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah put the PDF on a thumb drive .. they may even be able to print them at will call for you who knows .. if not like someone suggested take it to Kinko's they cam do it for you.

Here are teh nearest to the convention

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kinko's+boston+ma&aq=&sll=42.343435,-71.048455&sspn=0.00268,0.006947&ie=UTF8&hq=kinko's&hnear=Boston,+Suffolk,+Massachusetts&ll=42.356007,-71.047897&spn=0.041291,0.111151&t=h&z=14

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Most hotels will also have a business center that you can use to print things . . .

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• HaikonHaikon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    pilferk wrote: »
    Haven't seen this asked:

On the food court: Will the vendors take debit/credit cards...or will it be cash only?

This will depend on the vendor.

-Haikon / PAX East 2011 Info

Haikon on
  • HaikonHaikon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Bring it and visit registration!

-Haikon / PAX East 2011 Info

Haikon on
  • BoneriotBoneriot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Khadour wrote: »
    Most hotels will also have a business center that you can use to print things . . .

i'm in the same boat and this is what i'm relying on. 95% of hotels these days have loby computers for their visitors and more and more have printers available, especially one in a downtown city.

though i doubt they'll be as okay with me printing out 10 4e character sheets......

Boneriot on
  • Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wait, are there tickets in addition to the badge? I have a badge...but I need to print out a ticket as well?

Got Haggis? on
  • BoneriotBoneriot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the printable tickets are for those who ordered their badges too late for them to be shipped out and must pick them up at will call
    if you have you're badges already you're golden

Boneriot on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Staples prints from PDF for like 10 cents a page.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wait, are there tickets in addition to the badge? I have a badge...but I need to print out a ticket as well?

Badge is all you need.

(people who don't live in the US don't have badges automatically mailed to them. Same for people who order after the mail-by date. Only people without physical badges need to bring paper printout tickets.)

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My ticket is printed the bar code just didn't print very well. Also where can I find the pdf? Looks like my wife deleted my email confirmation with it on.

Yeah, get with pax_questions ASAP!

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • NatsirtNatsirt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TGSean wrote: »
    Hi guys! I skimmed through and didn't find anything on this, so if it was answered already then I apologize.

Does anyone have a backpack they would recommend bringing to PAX as far as primary luggage goes? I'm looking for the best space I can get while staying within $100-ish.

I'm partial to the Swiss Gear Synergy. Nice padded laptop sleeve, large space for clothes, quality stitching and zippers. I have big clothes (6'2, 210 lbs) and can fit a weekends worth in there plus my laptop.

The only downside is it is quite deep, even when empty. I always feel a bit like the high schooler who toted all his books around at once.

Natsirt on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why not just print it out at the airport? Most airports should have a kiosk where you just type in your code and it'll print off a new pass.

It's not a tumor on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Natsirt wrote: »
    TGSean wrote: »

I'm partial to the Swiss Gear Synergy. Nice padded laptop sleeve, large space for clothes, quality stitching and zippers. I have big clothes (6'2, 210 lbs) and can fit a weekends worth in there plus my laptop.

The only downside is it is quite deep, even when empty. I always feel a bit like the high schooler who toted all his books around at once.

Swiss backpacks are a bit on the small side. I've got a huge 18" laptop myself, and the only brand I found that was able to accommodate it thanks to its shape for under $100 was an Ogio.

It's not a tumor on
  • SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

it has the info may not be perfect but if its legiable you will be fine

Singollo on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did I read right that the will call/ registration desk is open tonight, 2 to 8? We had one person in our group that didn't get their tickets in the mail like the rest of us and we were hoping to be able to stick together tomorrow morning.

UEAKCrash on
    edited March 2011
    Will call is open right now until 8pm today, then opens up tomorrow at 8am.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there usually a long line for it?

UEAKCrash on
    edited March 2011
    Lines will probably be longer tomorrow, but I didn't see to much of a line today.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• xHidden MemoriesxHidden Memories Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HEYYYY COSPLAYERSSS????????? I'm ganna be wearing my fluffy fox tail and my bell with a gold bow in my hair!!!!!!! Try and find meee :)
    AND....I have a Keyblade... I was wondering... are we allowed to bring stuff like that to the convention? If I could manage to fit it in the Van Im going in with some other guys who are going with me :P
    ~ <3 Josie

xHidden Memories on
    You know why people have eyes in the front? Because they have to move forward to see the landscape in the distance. If you had eyes in back all you could see is your home town getting farther away; you can't move forward like that. If your eyes are in front what you see in the distance keeps getting closer. That's what lets people move forward.
  • KevanYKevanY Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    what should i be packing?

i'm a florida boy but i've had experiences with cold weather, my question mainly circles around whether it's going to be cold INSIDE the convention as opposed to outside, should i pack heavy duty weather clothing? or light weather clothing that i can remove once inside the actual convention?

KevanY on
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Inside should be fairly warm. There will be thousands of bodies warming it up. If you can bear the cold (40-50 degrees) weather outside with a light jacket/hoody I'd suggest that since that's less bulky and you'll likely not get overly warm inside.

lillb on
  • Phoenix_C4Phoenix_C4 Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Queue room isn't necessary for waiting in line for panels AFTER pax is open. Theaters have their own line-up area outside the theater.

Yeah I think the uncertainty lies around the first panel question since the tweet talked about a 10:30AM panel. Would that person need to wait in the Expo Hall Q room prior to 10AM? or could they meander about the convention center before pax is truly "open" and just line up outside the theater in question?

I'm assuming the exhibition hall will be open well before the panels? I know the doors for Will Call will open at 8, but I wasnt sure how much of PAX will be available right away...
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Expect most of PAX to be YouTube'd, and there's the PAX Forum Unofficial DVD Project, which, if what you want doesn't get YouTube'd, should make it there.

That's good news if we can miss a panel and still see it later...

Are we allowed bring folding chairs? I thought I read that bringing your own beanbags wasnt allowed due to fire hazards/obstructions, etc, but what about chairs for long line waits?

Phoenix_C4 on
  • thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I keep trying to find it on the forums but I can't.

We're on our way up and my friend left his badge home. He can just print out of the confirmation barcode with his id and bring it to will-call and get a new one, right?

thorshauk on
  • MangoProjectsMangoProjects Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am about to leave for Boston and I read "The venue is in the middle of nowhere and finding places to eat will be tough," will we be force to pay $15 hamburger at the PAX food court?? I am worry.

MangoProjects on
    I create images with IMPACT.
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am about to leave for Boston and I read "The venue is in the middle of nowhere and finding places to eat will be tough," will we be force to pay $15 hamburger at the PAX food court?? I am worry.

Don't expect to find a McDonald's anywhere close. I did a google search on the area and there wasn't much for fast food very close by the convention center. I'm hoping the food court is somewhat reasonable, I wouldn't want to pay a ridiculous amount for "cheap" food or waste an hour to leave the venue in search of cheap food for lunch.

Last year at the Hynes we just walked to the mall food court and got some food there.

lillb on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lillb wrote: »

Don't expect to find a McDonald's anywhere close. I did a google search on the area and there wasn't much for fast food very close by the convention center. I'm hoping the food court is somewhat reasonable, I wouldn't want to pay a ridiculous amount for "cheap" food or waste an hour to leave the venue in search of cheap food for lunch.

Last year at the Hynes we just walked to the mall food court and got some food there.

depends on what you consider close. south station is about a 15 min walk and has a food court (mcdonalds included) with a few other places in the surrounding area. a little more time/effort, but if you really want to save cash the option is there.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
This discussion has been closed.