As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Potential) New Dog Name needed!

Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.hisHistory-loving pal!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, we're looking at welcoming a new rescue into the home this weekend if he doesn't get adopted by someone else before then. We already have one little white terrier mutt named Falcor:

Falcor1.jpg

Here's a shelter picture of the potential new guy.

get_image.asp?RES=Detail&ID=A090655&LOCATION=GRPR

We're trying to find a good name to go along with a theme with Falcor. We were thinking of other dragons, other 80s cult movie classic characters, or any sort of theme we could go with. At dinner tonight, we came up with Appa, but I want to see his coloring up close before we go with that as our final choice.

Any ideas?

SrUxdlb.jpg
Lord Palington on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I would just like you to know that I heartily approve of the name Falcor, especially with the picture.

How about just taking another name from that book? I like Auryn. Who knows? Maybe he'll chase his own tail sometimes. :)

Also, The Neverending Story is a great theme.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Atreyu?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Atreyu?

I was actually going to say Falkor amusingly enough.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    80's cult movies, you say?

Shithead. Or Lifesaver, if you're not the scatological type.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Artax? That was the horse. That poor, poor horse.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Man, I thought of that, but I wouldn't want to name my pet after an animal that rips your heart out and stomps on it by dying tragically halfway through.

ceres on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    Man, I thought of that, but I wouldn't want to name my pet after an animal that rips your heart out and stomps on it by dying tragically halfway through.

That scene officially ended my childhood.

Screw Bar Mitzvah's... you want to become a man? You watch the Neverending Story.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I was pretty little when I first saw it, and I remember sitting there, a child's optimistic hope in my heart, cheering for him, knowing he was going to pull though, and then the world is a terrible place and it's all sadness.

Definitely not Artax.

ceres on
  • Options
    Kitten SwarmKitten Swarm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Some 80s cult classic names that spring to mind: Schmendrick (The Last Unicorn), Elwood (Blues Brothers), Lonestar (Spaceballs), Marty McFly (Back to the Future), or Mogwai (Gremlins).

Bastian, keeping with Neverending Story.

Kitten Swarm on
    You may learn that one day to your sorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'd actually considered Artax too, but then teared up at the thought of trying to call that name if the dog got lost or something, so no Artax. Good suggestion, though.

I met up with him today at the pound for the first time. Very good natured dog, did not piss or poo until we got into the outside play yard, they usually kennel him with another dog, and he was very psyched to even see me. He's a little darker than he looks in the picture - his back is pretty smoky.

My girlfriend thought up Toothless like How to Train a Dragon, but the color isn't right, and if we're going general dragon themed names I'd rather have Draco from Dragonheart. Come to think of it - Flight of Dragons. I'll have to look up some names from that tonight.

As thanks for the names so far, here's some short video from the visit today. Just ignore the commentary.

Inside playroom:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFbFlnwZzig&tracker=False

Outside run:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7glrQGjUinc&tracker=False

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Labyrinth is the best movie ever and any character from it would be the best choice.

Ambrosius? Ludo? Bowie's balls?

exis on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragon names?

Temeraire, Lily, Maximus, Arkady...

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn MushroomStick that is a solid reference. Might have to go with Maximus - the girlfriend likes big names for little dogs, so that would go perfect. We'll see though, Ambrosius might win out, and we're still open to ideas. More pics Saturday if he's not adopted by someone else!

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    AndeAnde Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Smaug?

Ande on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The Flight of Dragons was an epic movie and I would thumbs-up any commemoration of it, since it's damn near impossible to find.

ceres on
  • Options
    zktzkt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Handbanana

zkt on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Haha, nice ones everyone. Due to influence from the girlfriend and the actual coloring once we got him a decent groom, we're probably going with Appa. Additional suggestions will be taken for what command we should train "yip yip!" to.

As soon as he's out of the bath and dried off, there will be fresh pictures and/or video, so check back soon!

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haha, nice ones everyone. Due to influence from the girlfriend and the actual coloring once we got him a decent groom, we're probably going with Appa. Additional suggestions will be taken for what command we should train "yip yip!" to.

As soon as he's out of the bath and dried off, there will be fresh pictures and/or video, so check back soon!

Appa is seriously an awesome name for that dog.

For yip yip you could have him lay down like he's going to sleep. Since he's too tired to carry anyone right now. :)

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think Appa is a great name for him :)

Teach him to jump for "yip yip".

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Appa is good.

I kinda wish I would have named my dog Toothless, but that's more because I love that movie than anything else.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think jump for yip yip will win this one. As promised, here's a couple more pictures.

Appa begging in the kitchen
    2011-03-13_21-17-52_757-1.jpg

Appa and Falcor in the office
    2011-03-13_11-58-05_553-1.jpg

He's going to the vet Thursday, then Friday he should be getting neutered. Three year old male cairn terrier mix, seems okay so far but he's just skin and bones. Thanks for all the input!

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't usually like little dogs but gosh darn those two make me eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

exis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They're a little bigger than they look, Falcor especially. He's got a very solid build so you can get on the ground with him and really rough house. Once Appa puts on some weight I think he'll be pretty similar. Also, neither of them are yappy dogs, they've got actual barks.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    PrioPrio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What breed(s) are they? Adorable!

Prio on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We think Falcor is a mostly Westie mix with we're not sure what else, he was found in an alleyway with no ID and half-starved.

Appa was listed by the shelter as a cairn terrier mix, and that seems about right.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg