As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East + Extreme Beer Fest = ???

midbluemidblue Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Much to my horror, I recently noticed that in 2011 PAX East falls on the same weekend as another annual event I cherish, Beer Advocate's Extreme Beer Fest. For those unfamiliar with it, the EBF is held at the Cyclorama in Boston, and features 100+ brews from tons of local and national breweries, most of which are classified as "extreme" in some way - unusual flavors, high alcohol content, that sort of thing. Last year a brewery brought a bacon beer (!) for example.

Linky (Not much info yet): http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/36151

Three events make up the beerfest - a "Night of the Barrels" on Friday evening with wood-aged beers, and then two identical sessions on Saturday, one during the day and one at night. I think my plan will be to skip the Friday night beer session in favor of the Friday night concert, then attend the daytime beer session on Saturday and return to PAX and spend evening in a happy drunken haze. 8-)

I suppose the beerfest is a much smaller event than PAX but I guess I'm a little surprised it hasn't turned up as a forum topic here yet. Anyone else planning to attend the fest, or intrigued now that you know it exists?

edit: SOLD OUT! Tickets went super fast - hope some people were able to get in. Leave a post here if you'll be attending!

midblue on

• Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is just another thing pushing me to go to PAX east at great personal expense.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, anyone else advocate extra badges from the Poke Crawl for this? Atlus?

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • goongoon MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds good to me.

goon on
    Virtue and the grim consequences thereof.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, I'm probably down for this with some non-PAXers.

schuss on
  • midbluemidblue Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sweet, glad to hear there is some interest from PAX attendees. I will post again here when I see more info go up about the beerfest.

midblue on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Welp. I know what my husband will be doing on Saturday... :lol:

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I feel like I'll be going to Night of the Barrels, sorry PAX... It's 6:00-9:30 on Friday - do they also serve food there? I've always wanted to go but never looked into it because I was never in Boston at the right times. It is 1.9 miles from BCEC - I'm hoping I can just taxi there and back by 9ish, slightly toasted, and play some games.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am undecided if I want to go. But I am sure you guys can get a posse together on either day.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    In past years there has been food available. A local bar, the Sunset Grill, usually brings an assortment of food (chili, sausages, bbq) for purchase. There is also usually a local belgian waffle place that comes, their waffles are awesome and really authentic, and go really well with a nice stout.

If you attend the Night of the Barrels, expect to be more than slightly toasted :) The barrel-aged beers are often over 10% alcohol and are pretty intense. The tasting cups are only 2oz but when you try 30 or 40 beers...

midblue on
    edited October 2010
    midblue wrote: »
    In past years there has been food available. A local bar, the Sunset Grill, usually brings an assortment of food (chili, sausages, bbq) for purchase. There is also usually a local belgian waffle place that comes, their waffles are awesome and really authentic, and go really well with a nice stout.

If you attend the Night of the Barrels, expect to be more than slightly toasted :) The barrel-aged beers are often over 10% alcohol and are pretty intense. The tasting cups are only 2oz but when you try 30 or 40 beers...

Yeah.... this is my beer fridge.
    4926287159_88abf7561f_b.jpg
    CoCoNut Porter, Russian River, Alesmith (some barrel aged in the gold foil), Lost Abbey, Dark Lord, Kate the Great, Avery, Westvleteren... I may have more invested in beer than I do in my 401(k)...

I've been a BA for awhile, but yeah, I imagine I'll be very well toasted. Will definitely be cabbing there and back again.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2010
    Whoa! It looks like it's completely sold out!

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Polar BehrPolar Behr Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Flatline: Good Night! that is beautiful!

I'll be telling my group if there interested. It'll be great to form a posse to head out there.

Polar Behr on
    edited October 2010
    Krissta wrote: »

On the contrary, I don't believe they've actually started to sell tickets for the 2011 event yet.

flatline on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Honestly, with the sheer size of PAX, you probably aren't going to be able to see everything you want anyway in one year, so getting a small group to go to this is totally okay. Personally, I don't think I'd go, just because I'm not a major beer drinker. Now, if it was a whiskey tasting...

feitocomfruta on
    edited October 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    Krissta wrote: »

On the contrary, I don't believe they've actually started to sell tickets for the 2011 event yet.

Aaaand you are correct. :P haha

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PAX East + Extreme Beer Fest = Me not being able to remember a damn thing about what happened that weekend... and being okay with it.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh this sounds Epic! The con weekend is getting better and better

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    midblue wrote: »

Yeah.... this is my beer fridge.
    4926287159_88abf7561f_b.jpg
    CoCoNut Porter, Russian River, Alesmith (some barrel aged in the gold foil), Lost Abbey, Dark Lord, Kate the Great, Avery, Westvleteren... I may have more invested in beer than I do in my 401(k)...

I've been a BA for awhile, but yeah, I imagine I'll be very well toasted. Will definitely be cabbing there and back again.

Alert! I could be wrong on this, but I've been told by numerous people (including Doctors) that you shouldn't keep milk in the door of a fridge because the temperate fluctuates. This might be an issue with your beer as well, since you have a dedicated beer fridge I assume you're serious about your brew.

[edit] Is that a Dog Fish Head world wide stout on the top shelf in the middle? And is that a Stone brew on the bottom shelf third from the left? It's not their IPA or arrogant bastard. I have no idea what the others are, the corked bottles top right look interesting!
    Excellent collection, by the way.

John Matrix on
  • NeijuNeiju Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the heads up, I love me some beer. I'll probably go for the Friday night thing and then one of the sessions on Saturday depending on the schedule of PAX East. I live in Rhode Island, so I was just gonna drive up Friday/Saturday, but if I'm drinking Friday night I might just find a cheap room somewhere.

EDIT: I really do mean THANK YOU! by the way, I go to the Great International Beer Fest (Epicly huge and awesome) in Providence, RI every time it comes around (since I've turned 21), went to one at the Red Hook brewery up in NH last month as well as any other random beer tastings that pop up. If this is an annual thing and as awesome as it sounds then it'll probably become tradition for me.

Neiju on
    edited November 2010
    Alert! I could be wrong on this, but I've been told by numerous people (including Doctors) that you shouldn't keep milk in the door of a fridge because the temperate fluctuates. This might be an issue with your beer as well, since you have a dedicated beer fridge I assume you're serious about your brew.

[edit] Is that a Dog Fish Head world wide stout on the top shelf in the middle? And is that a Stone brew on the bottom shelf third from the left? It's not their IPA or arrogant bastard. I have no idea what the others are, the corked bottles top right look interesting!
    Excellent collection, by the way.

Thanks for the warning, but beer really needn't be kept ice-cold (and shouldn't be). Light is actually much more damaging than temperature fluctuations anyway. My fridge is kept on one of the lowest (warmest) settings, and it won't spoil if the beer on the door is a few degrees warmer. In fact, keeping it in a fridge at all is technically not great for any beer with a cork because the fridge will suck the moisture out of the air and dry the cork all up. Ideal conditions for storing beer is a cellar, between 40-50 degrees F probably.

Yes, that is a DFH World Wide Stout on top (it's from like 2005 so it's probably strong enough to eat paint by now). That is also a Stone beer on the bottom - their 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout to be exact. Thanks for the compliments. I like it too :)

flatline on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That world wide stout is brilliant, quite hard to find in places, too. I'm looking for a 2006 edition, I drank one before my wedding with my groomsmen and it was marvelous. I've seen a few oatmeal stouts, but I've never tried one. I really like Guinness and Guinness extra stout, but I'm not a huge fan of Porter, how's the taste difference?

John Matrix on
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    does anyone know how much this cost

rascrush on
  • firemage1026firemage1026 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Damn if I can talk my gf to go I am down. Dogfish Head can do me no wrong!

firemage1026 on
    I am going to kill you... I mean hug you!
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow this sounds pretty cool. I just attended a CAMRA ale & porter event here a few weeks back.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • RuffasRuffas Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    If you didn't get tickets, you missed your chance. All ~2700 tickets sold out in < 8 hours.

Ruffas on
  • ~Arclite~Arclite Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    ALL SOLD OUT! Well that was crazy.

But if you reaaly want to taste all the beer, volunteer! Just join beeradvocate.com, get a little active, then when they email the members around mid-January asking for volunteers, reply and you're all set.

I volunteered for the Belgian Fest last month. Free food, bottled water, and I spent my time pouring out delicious brews for attendees and talking about how great my job was. Definitely recommend that experience...

~Arclite on
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm sad, I would've done it, if it hadn't fallen on PAX weekend. I have enough to keep track of as it, seeing as how PAX is where all my old college buddies, West Coast transplant buddies, and now PAX friends will be at.

To anyone who was able to get tickets, lucky you! It sounds super awesome and the Cyclorama is a beautiful venue. I worked the Wine Riot sponsored by Second Glass in the same space. :)

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
    edited December 2010
    Holy crap, those sold out fast. I planned to update the thread to help people out when they went on sale but didn't get to it in time. Luckily I had a friend who was watching the site and picked up tickets.

So, did anyone else manage to snag tix? Post if you'll be there!

midblue on
  • Uber AbgestopptUber Abgestoppt BEERGICIAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I will be attending both!

My first PAX and my first Extreme Beer Fest, in the same weekend. So awesome.

Uber Abgestoppt on
    demoman.png
  • maglan2289maglan2289 Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    I have a group of people going to both. We are planning VICE-a-Palooza... EBF on Friday, (7 people), PAX on Saturday (4 people) and then either shooting in NH or Foxwoods on Sunday. That part is TBA.

Should be an absolute blast. Just please for the love of god, don't Cosplay to the beerfest.

maglan2289 on
    edited December 2010
    Damn, I'm really pissed that I missed them. When do tickets go on sale for these?
    Anyway, I guess it simplifies the rest of my weekend now that I don't have to plan around being drunk, unless... are there any bars in Boston?

EDIT: Might hit up the Harpoon Brewery instead. $5 gets you a tour, a glass and some samples and it's 0.7 miles from the convention center.

Neiju on
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anything sort of brewery or micro-brewery related will be of interest to me. I am curious, though, how possible it is to do stuff outside of how crammed the 3 days will be already?

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • mmarandammaranda Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Just a heads up to anyone the Extreme beerfest is sold out and they don't sell reserve tickets at the door.

For local brew pubs there aren't too many close to the convention center but in Cambridge there is the Cambridge Brewing Company and there is also Boston Beerworks (Beerworks has two locations by the garden and the Fenway). The last brewpub is Rock Bottom in the theater district.

mmaranda on
  • maglan2289maglan2289 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    mmaranda wrote: »
    Just a heads up to anyone the Extreme beerfest is sold out and they don't sell reserve tickets at the door.

For local brew pubs there aren't too many close to the convention center but in Cambridge there is the Cambridge Brewing Company and there is also Boston Beerworks (Beerworks has two locations by the garden and the Fenway). The last brewpub is Rock Bottom in the theater district.

Rock Bottom is no more... They are no longer brewing their own stuff there as of December, I think. If you can make it into Brighton/Allston, THE spot for beer is the Sunset Grille. I want to say 88 taps? More? In addition to bottles, etc. etc.

Definitely worth your time.

maglan2289 on
    edited January 2011
    maglan2289 wrote: »
    Rock Bottom is no more... They are no longer brewing their own stuff there as of December, I think. If you can make it into Brighton/Allston, THE spot for beer is the Sunset Grille. I want to say 88 taps? More? In addition to bottles, etc. etc.

Definitely worth your time.

I've been meaning to check out the Sunset Grill & Tap, they're advertising 112 beers on tap now.
    I also need to try the Taphouse Grille in Fall River, MA; I think I'll suggest it for dinner this Saturday. Not close to the con, but if you're a local then it might be worth the trip some day. They opened a couple months ago with "only" 24 beers on Tap.

Neiju on
    edited March 2011
    PAX weekend is upon us! If you are going to the beerfest, come find me and we will taste an extreme beer together. I am going to try to buy a PAX 2011 scarf first thing on Friday and I will wear it to the beerfest, I propose everyone else coming does the same and that is how we shall identify our PAX brethren. Happy PAX and happy drinking to all :)

midblue on