As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forum Let's Play Archive - OLD THREAD IS OLD DON'T POST IN THIS ONE

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright suckers, I might be able to get back into the Let's Play game here in the next few weeks. My next big project is going to be Alpha Protocol but I already know what I'm doing with that: one playthrough as a good-guy rookie and one playthrough as a ruthless, bloodthirsty veteran. I'll possibly have each playthrough be a different half of the LP, but I'm also strongly considering a side-by-side thing where the rookie and veteran stuff is released simultaneously but in two different sets of video.

But before that, I would like to get back into practice with an LP of Fort Zombie. For those of you have no idea about this game, that's because it's a second-rate, horribly unoptimized, big-ridden, crash-prone zombie game built around some good ideas. It'll be a mini-LP because the game isn't very long but aside from changing my recording techniques, I'd like to try something different.

Each "game" of Fort Zombie lasts something like a week. You get seven days to search for supplies, survivors, and weapons before you get hit with a zombie horde at your fort. What I'd like to do is something like a MacReady-style audio journal a la the movie Thing. I've never tried anything like this, but I'm thinking I could edit in some video of the player character wandering the base among the survivors and have the recording going at the same time.

But I'd really like some ideas or feedback on this. It may be more of a practice mini-LP than anything else, but I think it could turn out really well.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cj_iwakura

Doing some more of the Catherine import.
    It is coming out in the US, so here there be spoilers; ye've been warned.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fuck yes, I'll watch some Catherine!

Henroid on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have wandered into Helloweens territory and started a Clock Tower LP. If you like adventure games, teenage orphan girls being murdered, and creepy snes music you should check it out.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Henroid I feel like you have forgotten me. There is no prototype under P.
    *puppy dog eyes*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm trolling everyone and I'm about to start a screenshot LP that isn't Super Meat Boy. Is photobucket generally the best for mass uploads of this stuff?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think they have a limit based on what other people have said. Or is that imageshack.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm trolling everyone and I'm about to start a screenshot LP that isn't Super Meat Boy. Is photobucket generally the best for mass uploads of this stuff?

no

imagshack, lpix are much better hosts

Rent on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dunno. I'll have to check the Clock Tower LP and see what Skut was using, that seemed fine.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well lpix is out, I don't have a SA forum account and I'm not going to pay money to start this LP.

imageshack it is then

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    talk to adus and he'll give you a laundry list of the headaches involved with an sslp

use whatever host he recommends, which will most likely be lpix or imageshack. do not use photobucket

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Roger Roger

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I used Imageshack and so far it seems to have been the most stable, but occasionally a server will go down so some of your images will be missing until it comes back. On more rare occasions your images will flat out go missing entirely, or even be replaced by other images. Not often but enough to where it's kind of a pain if you go check your LP a year after it's done and you find a guy wearing a hamburger suit instead of Final Fantasy VII Part 4 Shot 30.

Yeah that happened.

Really I'm hesitant to recommend anything because no matter what you choose no site is going to reliably host two thousand images forever unless you're self hosting.

I suppose if I had to choose I'd say go with imgur. That's the current popular thing. In a way that worries me because any image hosting site that's popular runs the risk of getting overloaded then just shutting down entirely, but maybe they're made of stronger stuff.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I used imgur. Makes doing ss lps a bit easier, though I may have to reupload at one point in the future, being able to click one picture, copy paste the forum tag url, hit next, repeat, made things a breeze posting wise.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks guys. Skut you may as well know your Clock Tower LP is what inspired the crap I'm about to churn out.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks guys. Skut you may as well know your Clock Tower LP is what inspired the crap I'm about to churn out.

D'aww I'm honored.:lol:

Oh oh, is it Mega Man X6? Cause that game, that fuckin game. It's scary in how bad they fucked up a mega man game.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I used imgur. Makes doing ss lps a bit easier, though I may have to reupload at one point in the future, being able to click one picture, copy paste the forum tag url, hit next, repeat, made things a breeze posting wise.

Well it gets even easier than that if you use Rightload. You can upload a bunch of crap at once, then get a list of all the urls already with image tags around them on one screen with easy ctrl+click copying. I believe there's an imgur plugin for it. There's definitely one for Imageshack.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's not even a platformer

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Use Photobucket unless you're a chicken.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Photobucket is fine unless you use an image from it somewhere that's going to get deluged in views(which I did).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Photobucket is fine unless you use an image from it somewhere that's going to get deluged in views(which I did).

except it's got a bandwidth cap that breaks if you look at it wrong

for instance

i maxed out pb's bandwidth with the OP of my VC thread, which wasn't even an lp

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    When all else fails, make multiple accounts.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    or use one account for one image host that doesn't suck.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Funny thing, I used the same image host account for three LPs and it never died. I think their limitations became more stringent as of recent.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    When all else fails, make multiple accounts.

ahahaha what? are you fucking serious?

this is the worst advice. do not listen to it.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah it doesnt even make sense

why go through the effort for multiple accounts with a bad image host when you could use a different one? these are just tools, its not like you get some reward out of the usage of them or anything that gives loyalty to photobucket a compelling reason. its just a thing you have to do. use the easiest one.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really don't recommend Photobucket. They've got a pretty low bandwidth cap if people are viewing your images constantly. I broke my account by the 3rd or so update into Diablo, and had to rehost the images (and then re-write the damn posts and all the URL'ing within).

Ultimately, the best option for image hosting is getting a domain name, because you're far more in control of things.

My suggestion for us poor-folks, however, is imageshack. Bandwidth is by the image, by the HOUR, and if an image breaks it gets disable until you reply to an automated email process. It's hard to break. The downside to imageshack is sometimes it bugs up your uploading on off occasions. And I've had some images rarely break on me in my SF2 LP. But those were rare.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'll use imageshack. Free and mostly reliable is good enough for me.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I still kick around the idea of picking up a domain name for trusted forumers here to use for their uploading needs. Frankly, it'd help out with a lot, especially in the way of imageshack's file location stuff (which is a point I forgot to bring up AGAINST using it; instead of location/yourname/image.jpg, it's location/randomnumber/imagenamemaybewithanumberadded.jpg - that can be a bitch to keep track of).

The idea, however, has taken a massive kick to the nuts today, because I just got home 20 minutes ago or so from having my car towed 'cause it died when I was going to the bank. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I use photobuckets etc.com/123.jpg system to save me a lot of headache. I could never use imageshack.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Course then you get a bunch more headache from your bandwidth running out.

Why are you so intent on justifying photobucket? It sucks for LPs. That's pretty much a fact.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's happened once out of four times. That's not so bad. :P All I'm saying is that it's worked for me.

And I think any SS LPer can attest that c/p image URLs is by far the most time consuming part.

Either that or capturing them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    All I'm saying is that it's worked for me.

saying it worked for you does not mean you should be giving it as advice

jesus christ

Treating crabs? well I just set my pubes on fire. What, dangerous and painful? It worked for me though. just sayin

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey Rent I started my next LP

It is not a video LP and I expect to get all of the criticisms from you

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Leovinus made an attempt at LPing FF9 last year or so and for some reason he decided to use Photobucket and the bandwidth would be exceeded like every week until he caved and paid for premium again.

There's nothing wrong with the service to host an occasional image like some TF2 shots you want to post in the TF2 thread, but there's just no reason to use it for an LP. It has no advantages.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey Rent I started my next LP

It is not a video LP and I expect to get all of the criticisms from you

what's that? oh, you haven't watched any of my lps at all? okay

no but seriously i will criticize all the criticisms

all of them

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You can criticize an SS LP in all of five minutes, as opposed to fifty.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am stalking your LPs Rent

I have seen them

I watched them while eating at school

I will leave you criticisms of my own if you would like

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    Leovinus made an attempt at LPing FF9 last year or so and for some reason he decided to use Photobucket and the bandwidth would be exceeded like every week until he caved and paid for premium again.

There's nothing wrong with the service to host an occasional image like some TF2 shots you want to post in the TF2 thread, but there's just no reason to use it for an LP. It has no advantages.

As said; the URLs being sequenced. Unless another host uses that too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png