As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Omegathon

13»

• PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sure it breaks majorly from tradiation, but sometimes things can use a kick in the bread basket.

Considering this thread was made in the first place, i'd hope they'd be willing to make some changes.

Also, I think I know what the Omegathon final game will be for this year, but this isn't the thread for rampant speculation. :D

Polago on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    BELTS and THEMES

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • yourevilgodyourevilgod Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    BELTS and THEMES

OOOOO a big WWE world champion belt with d20 (20 up of course) on a spinner.

yourevilgod on
    BEHOLD, The pwnage of Cheese
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally the problem I think with Omagathon is simply that it's going on right when a panel discussion is, or something like that. Simply stating that it needs to be scheduled better, and be in one place instead of everywhere and anywhere.

Actually since we're on the subject, I had an idea last night for how the Saturday night (aka before the concerts) event could go. The game would be Wii Sports - Bowling, and the eight finalists would be put into two groups of four. Then they would play two games a piece and the team with the best overall score wins.

Here's where things get interesting though. The two top scorers on each team would get special perks with winning. The top scorer on the losing team will still get a bye into the next round. The winning team's top scorer...

Gets a bye directly into the finals.

You can't buy that kind of tension.

Then the final four people would battle it out for the last spot (With whoever got the bye there to mock his 'weaker foes'). Then the finals would be all set.

Sure it breaks majorly from tradiation, but sometimes things can use a kick in the bread basket.
    ""
    I completely disagree with you. You dont understand the omegathon if you think things like "to mock his 'weaker foes')" is anything cool at all. Thats not what the omegathon is. Its fine the way it is. I would say your ideas would ruin the competition.

Viscountalpha on
  • Magically_StoopidMagically_Stoopid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally the problem I think with Omagathon is simply that it's going on right when a panel discussion is, or something like that. Simply stating that it needs to be scheduled better, and be in one place instead of everywhere and anywhere.

Actually since we're on the subject, I had an idea last night for how the Saturday night (aka before the concerts) event could go. The game would be Wii Sports - Bowling, and the eight finalists would be put into two groups of four. Then they would play two games a piece and the team with the best overall score wins.

Here's where things get interesting though. The two top scorers on each team would get special perks with winning. The top scorer on the losing team will still get a bye into the next round. The winning team's top scorer...

Gets a bye directly into the finals.

You can't buy that kind of tension.

Then the final four people would battle it out for the last spot (With whoever got the bye there to mock his 'weaker foes'). Then the finals would be all set.

""
    I completely disagree with you. You dont understand the omegathon if you think things like "to mock his 'weaker foes')" is anything cool at all. Thats not what the omegathon is. Its fine the way it is. I would say your ideas would ruin the competition.

Okay chill out man, I was just kidding about that line in particular.

Magically_Stoopid on
    Crustyrailgun.gif
    My Wii numbers - 5427 1165 2806 1979
    ~PM me if you add me to your Wii Address book with your Wii numbers~
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    BELTS and THEMES

I'm not a fan of the spinner belt.

Legacy on
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't care if it spins or not, but talk about wanting something you never knew existed. I never realized how much I wanted a d20 wrestlers belt until you mentioned it. Now I will never sleep again till I have one. Thanks a lot.

TheProphetElijah on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    BELTS and THEMES

But the idea of the belt is indeed awesome! Would there be some kinda "returning champion" deal then?

Polago on
    edited May 2007
    PolaGo wrote: »
    BELTS and THEMES

But the idea of the belt is indeed awesome! Would there be some kinda "returning champion" deal then?

Duuuuuh.

At the end of the Omegathon, the old champ's music would hit and he'd come in to defend the title against the newly crowned winner.

The winner of that match would be that year's champ. Maybe once east-coast PAX is an actuality, they'd win a trip there to defend the title(or vice-versa).

Legacy on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    BELTS and THEMES

Duuuuuh.

At the end of the Omegathon, the old champ's music would hit and he'd come in to defend the title against the newly crowned winner.

The winner of that match would be that year's champ. Maybe once east-coast PAX is an actuality, they'd win a trip there to defend the title(or vice-versa).

Would that result in potentially people winning the Omegathon but losing the championship? Of course you couldn't have the same guy winning the phat prize package multiple years, so you would effectively be establishing two tiers of Omegathon winning... which would be kind of wierd.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2007
    The Omegathon winner is that year's winner, but the one holding the belt is the Grand Champion.

Legacy on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Omegathon winner is that year's winner, but the one holding the belt is the Grand Champion.

How far back does this trend go, is the question. Which is to say, am I the Grand Champion? Is it the 07 winner? Or is it the 05 winner? Tricky, tricky.

To those who suggested I be the Omegathon host - thank you, unconditionally. Even if it doesn't come about, it's sweet as hell that others found me worthy of such a thing. Much obliged.

PS - To anyone in charge who is reading, I would totally be down.

Poorochondriac on
    edited May 2007
    It starts now.

Or, if all the previous champions will be at PAX '07, there can be a fatal four-way for the title this year(the last three winners and the new one this year). :D

It would be so awesome.

Legacy on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It starts now.

Or, if all the previous champions will be at PAX '07, there can be a fatal four-way for the title this year(the last three winners and the new one this year). :D

It would be so awesome.

Whoa. Hell yes.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the Omegathon wasn't even a big deal on the PAX 05 DVD. If you want it to be a big deal...make it a big deal basically.

I'm not going to stop playing Guitar Hero or something along those lines because theres 15 people playing Mario Kart DS. o_o

xxhennersxx on
  • badrewbadrew Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, I think I know what the Omegathon final game will be for this year, but this isn't the thread for rampant speculation. :D

halo 3?...sorry, I'm THAT guy

badrew on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I'm new to PAX, so this will be my first year. I was just wondering what the past Omegathon game lineups have been and what do people expect to see as a lineup this year?

This question was asked in another thread, I pointed the guy this way, but also happen to have last year's program in front of me, so I'm going to list off the games from last year and the categories they fall in (at least to my perception). I would do it for 05 as well, but that program does not appear to list the actual games, only the round numbers.

PAX 2006 Omegathon Games

Round 1: Diceland - Tabletop
    Round 2: Geometry Wars - Fun
    Round 3: Quake 3 - FPS
    Round 4: Guitar Hero - On Stage
    Round 5: Mario Kart: Double Dash - Racing/4-player
    Final Round: Tengen Tetris - Classic

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.