As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Mos Eisley [CHAT]ina

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ninjai wrote: »
    Wakk, I know for a fact that there are people here who care about you. I'm one of them. Please don't do anything you'll regret.

Seconded. Please post something here and let us know you're alright, or send me a private message if you prefer.

Flay on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    shit.. wakk.. read this post about art and depression

http://georgepratt.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/art-and-depression/

everyone should read it..

That was a good read. Never thought of it like that, though I always wondered about it.

Seriously Wak, Post something so I can calm down...

ninjai on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God I hope he really just went to take a nice nap and will be back around tomorrow.

Just to be clear, this means I care about you too!

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wah, don't go away Wakk!

Godfather on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I buy your art books right now will you get all better?

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited March 2011
    Also no joke the designs of those suicide hotlines are fucking terrible. Maybe they're supposed to make people feel better by how awful they are.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Just letting everyone know that I am a nosy, terrible person with the tools of the internet and I have confirmation that wakka is alive, as in spoke to a person on the phone that talked to him a few minutes ago.

Sorry Wakk, I was worried sick. I can stop weeping like a baby now though.

Iruka on
    edited March 2011
    Well good. This was almost a terrible day for the internet.

Wakk first paycheck next month I'm buying your books still.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited March 2011
    Oh thank goodness.

I would've been crushed if anything had happened.
    Just bought the shit out of this. Gonna show it to everyone, hope it helps a little.

Flay on
    edited March 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Just letting everyone know that I am a nosy, terrible person with the tools of the internet and I have confirmation that wakka is alive, as in spoke to a person on the phone that talked to him a few minutes ago.

What a relief. Thanks again, Iruka. You did the right thing :)

ninjai on
    edited March 2011
    Iruka wrote: »

Not at all. The worst thing was possibly waking wak up from his much wanted sleep. But at least this way he knows that there are a bunch of us who care about him and hopefully that makes tomorrow morning a little bit special.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, you have a whole community of friends and fans out there, Wakk. When you have a bad day, you should embrace that community, not try to shut yourself away from it. Opportunities will find you if you just keep doing amazing work. I know it can be frustrating sometimes but if you quit THEY WIN. :shock:

Keep making art, enjoy life, go for a walk, watch a movie, read a good book, etc.

DMAC on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know this might sound stupid Wakk, but when I went through a couple of rough patches living alone I often times felt the need to do something drastic, so I shaved my head and beard.

It was drastic enough for people to take notice and harmless enough to not cause any damage to anyone including myself. It was strange but it felt very cleansing and cathartic. On a much more practical level I was depressed and didn't feel like showering much and that helped out a lot. Just a thought.

I get the feeling you need to clean your slate, if that means not posting here I think we would all get it. Just let us know you are okay. I know Iruka already called, but we would love to hear from you. We all care quite a bit about you and whether or not you believe it you have affected all of our lives in a positive manner and we are all in dept to you for that.

brokecracker on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wakk you have really been unlucky with getting any fraction of what you deserve for how hard you work and how much joy you bring to others who admire your art. That really, really sucks. But you have plenty of time for the world to make it up to you, and it will get better. We all care about you and we are real people. If you seriously hit a point where you have 0$ and don't care at all about where you are, you can sleep on my couch until something comes along.
    Like Broke said, we would understand if you need a fresh start and we don't see you around here so much, but hopefully you start feeling better very soon.

lyrium on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Wakk...stay strong, man. Every time I've been at that intense of a low, I understand that if I wait it out for a day, even a few days, the feeling will pass. Not entirely, but it's enough to lift you out of that state of complete despair. Don't let this shit economy - or anything else - bring you to that point. The future holds better things! You won't be single forever, you won't be jobless forever, you won't feel this way forever...and things will get better, I promise! I go through cycles of feeling this way...you just have to remember that you won't be stuck in the bottom part of the cycle forever. Things will improve. You're an extremely talented, super funny/nice guy. You have a lot going for you, and this will pay off.

I used to hate it when people said this to me, but...in the grand scheme of things, we're pretty young, and this low is only one small part of our lives. I had to deal with abuse and major depression for 8 goddamn years, during the time I was in middle school and high school, and reached some incredible lows during that time - at some points being borderline suicidal. Just keep waking up the next day, though. Keep pushing through, tell the world to go fuck off, because you're not going to succumb to it. Things aren't perfect for me right now, but they've much improved since then. While my depression doesn't seem to be bothering me so much right now (as it was just a month ago), my anxiety levels have jumped a few levels, and other areas of my life have become more hectic...but I know that things will improve. Yes, the cycle of life events and personal emotions will throw me back down again at some point, but...those high points, when you get them - and even the mid-level points - are amazing, and fantastic. Remember that there is happiness and success in your future. You should be there to experience it.

We're all supporting you Jace. You're a great guy and a fantastic artist, and you deserve the best in life. Life likes to be a dick sometimes, but I'm confident that things will turn around for you. Just try to keep that chin up as much as you can, and know that we're all here for you.

NightDragon on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wakkawa! We love you, man!

MagicToaster on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wakkawa we're here for you dude. I look up to you stay strong!

Lalilulelo on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, the gynecologist is a scary place.

MagicToaster on
    edited March 2011
    Says the man ;-)

Nappuccino on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wakk life always always turns around when things are going bad. Providing your not in any legal trouble for rape/murder or importing large quantities of prohibited substances. Things will get better, it might just take a little time, also you need to spend more time painting cool robots and less time mulling over paintings of super hot women you can't sleep with.....I mean that shit would depress anyone.

Make no mistake though dude, you are a top flight artist and the fact that you're not working right now is borderline criminal.

Mustang on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like that headshaving idea
    that sounds like an adventure

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wakkawa, I don't want you to think I'm trying to tell you I know how you feel. Because I don't. I doubt anyone does. But! I have a friend that just got engaged. Her boyfriend has been dealing with liver problems for a couple of years, and just got readmitted to the hospital after getting a donor/surgery. This is what she wrote in her blog, and I have to say I agree with her:
    I've lost the ability to tell people that it will get better. Or that they will get what they've earned. Or the rewards or happiness they deserve.

This is because life is cruel. it is cruel and ruthless and if you think for a moment that there aren't people who deserve happiness but have endured misery their whole lives, you're lying to yourself.

You either get lucky, or your don't. You can up your odds of being happy if your have integrity, but nothing guarantee's your comfort or happiness. Just because you've struggled dutifully all your life doesn't mean you get a reward at the end. Your life may suck forever.

I've lost the ability to console people. I can't promise them "it will be alright" or "it will be okay."

So when people tell me "everything will go fine," all I can say is, "unless it doesn't."

Because it's the truth. You don't know if it's going to be okay. You can't promise me that. Just understand that we're hoping. All we're doing is hoping.

I'm not bitter. I'm just frustrated with how unfair life is. Not to us. To everyone.

it's really depressing and unfortunate, because life DOESN'T always turn out the way we want to. But the strongest people out there are the ones that don't give up. If you can get through this, you can get through anything! Life sucks, yes, but I find it impossible for someone as swell as yourself to be unable to find SOMEthing worth being happy about! Appreciate the talent you have, that you're alive, that you have the choice to keep on truckin'. Not everyone has the privilege of that kind of choice, and I'm sure you'll make the right one.

In other news, I found out I have to get tested for cancer. I'm only 25 ):

melting_doll on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    you should be able to workout some kinda independent study with your advisor

I wish.
    Instead, the MCB program is extremely picky about what will count towards your upper level MCB credit. There is a list of courses that will count, and not even all upper level MCB courses are on that list. Of the classes that are they keep removing some and making others less available, so overall it is becoming difficult for students to make it work. This summer there is not a single thing offered that would fulfill it.
    I asked my advisor and another woman if there was any way to get upper level credit for my research, and they said no.
    I thought I had found a solution, when one single class turned out to be offered at UIC and the credits are transferable, and it's offered over the summer. However, today when I went to talk to the person in charge of transferring credit, she said that I needed 3 more upper level credit hours specifically on this campus. SO now what I have left that I can try, is talking to a dean of this college and asking them to make an exception for me, so that I can get those 3 credits at UIC instead of here.
    Here's hoping they take pity :\

lyrium on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn I was kinda hoping to get to PAX for at least one day this year, but I had to cover someones shift this Sunday giving me no days off this weekend. Shiiiz.

earthwormadam on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, Wakk. Really?

You're a fucking killer artist and I would give my nuts to have even half your ability. Really and for serious. Reading that from me probably doesn't do much for you, but read this: I am not alone in that sentiment by a damn sight. Be proud of what you do and keep striving to improve yourself.

Secondly, I've seen pictures of you on this board, and you're an attractive dude. Artistic, obviously sensitive, passionate. If the ladies in your parts cant see these qualities in you, then they're fucking dense. Their loss.

In short, please don't be sad.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited March 2011
    Oh! Also!

I got my bike!

Vagrant's Bike

Yay!

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

D :

<3

Kochikens on
    edited March 2011
    Oh! Also!

I got my bike!

Vagrant's Bike

Yay!

Cool! This is the one I got last September: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/sohos/

It's this sleek matte-black finish, it's like a ninja. A road ninja.

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
    edited March 2011
    There was one I was super psyched about getting last year, but I can't remember what it was called. I remember that it had something to do with primates, and that it was a sick looking bike.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You're a fucking killer artist and I would give my nuts to have even half your ability. Really and for serious. Reading that from me probably doesn't do much for you, but read this: I am not alone in that sentiment by a damn sight. Be proud of what you do and keep striving to improve yourself.

Unfortunately, skill doesn't really mean happiness. The wierd thing is, the more people tell you how wonderful your work is with no appreciable affect, the less it seems to mean. My wife is having a huge amount of trouble finding work and she has strongly tied her self worth to that lack.

Anyway, Wakk, if you need to talk at all, send me a pm.

Wassermelone on
    edited March 2011
    Siegfried wrote: »
    Oh! Also!

I got my bike!

Vagrant's Bike

Yay!

Cool! This is the one I got last September: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/sohos/

It's this sleek matte-black finish, it's like a ninja. A road ninja.

For a second there I thought you guys were talking about bikes.

I'm sad now.

ninjai on
    edited March 2011
    Wakkawa, I don't want you to think I'm trying to tell you I know how you feel. Because I don't. I doubt anyone does. But! I have a friend that just got engaged. Her boyfriend has been dealing with liver problems for a couple of years, and just got readmitted to the hospital after getting a donor/surgery. This is what she wrote in her blog, and I have to say I agree with her:
    I've lost the ability to tell people that it will get better. Or that they will get what they've earned. Or the rewards or happiness they deserve.

This is because life is cruel. it is cruel and ruthless and if you think for a moment that there aren't people who deserve happiness but have endured misery their whole lives, you're lying to yourself.

You either get lucky, or your don't. You can up your odds of being happy if your have integrity, but nothing guarantee's your comfort or happiness. Just because you've struggled dutifully all your life doesn't mean you get a reward at the end. Your life may suck forever.

I've lost the ability to console people. I can't promise them "it will be alright" or "it will be okay."

So when people tell me "everything will go fine," all I can say is, "unless it doesn't."

Because it's the truth. You don't know if it's going to be okay. You can't promise me that. Just understand that we're hoping. All we're doing is hoping.

I'm not bitter. I'm just frustrated with how unfair life is. Not to us. To everyone.

it's really depressing and unfortunate, because life DOESN'T always turn out the way we want to. But the strongest people out there are the ones that don't give up. If you can get through this, you can get through anything! Life sucks, yes, but I find it impossible for someone as swell as yourself to be unable to find SOMEthing worth being happy about! Appreciate the talent you have, that you're alive, that you have the choice to keep on truckin'. Not everyone has the privilege of that kind of choice, and I'm sure you'll make the right one.

I'm still pretty young, but my experience has been the complete opposite. A few years ago, I found myself in a pretty dark place. At the time it seemed like giving up was the best option, maybe the only one, and was absolutely convinced that was what I wanted to do. Coupled with this was the extreme pressure I was putting upon myself to succeed at school, and at art. I became absolutely obsessed with working to perfection, and my self esteem plummeted because there was no way that I could achieve what I wanted to do.

But the people around me kept me going, pulled me out of the dive, and little by little I started to come back up. Drugs helped a lot too, and therapy. It took a long time, but eventually I found my way back on track. I'm no more successful now than I was back then. My life goals haven't changed, and if anything I'm practicing less now than I was, and progressing more slowly. But I'm not as concerned, because my outlook is a lot more positive.

Not meeting your goals, or at least not yet having met them, isn't the worst thing in the world, but it can seem like it if you look at it that way. My advice is if you're tearing yourself apart about it, maybe you should focus on just enjoying yourself first, to the point of ignoring your goals completely for a while. In the end, you'll probably find reaching your objective easier in the long run.

That's worrying. This whole thread makes me sad. :(

Flay on
    edited March 2011
    My ninja bicycle is way cooler than your ninja motorcycle.

I intentionally threw ninja into that post just to see who would post a Ninja. You win! (lose?)

Siegfried on
    Kochikens wrote:
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Unfortunately, skill doesn't really mean happiness. The wierd thing is, the more people tell you how wonderful your work is with no appreciable affect, the less it seems to mean. My wife is having a huge amount of trouble finding work and she has strongly tied her self worth to that lack.

Anyway, Wakk, if you need to talk at all, send me a pm.

Yeah this is basically my thinking any time this comes up.

Not to criticize anyone's methods for trying to make another guy on the internet feel better, but it seems like having someone tell you how flawlessly awesome your work is, and how inexplicable it is that you aren't meeting your life goals, just rubs salt in the wound.

It's like, "your work is really great! You must just be a natural at fucking everything up!"

Obviously that's not what people like DDV are implying, but to the person on the receiving end, that's definitely how it feels.

Fugitive on
    edited March 2011
    Man, I'm sucking in poker tonight. Gonna give it a break.

Most of you probably wont understand this, but here goes. I limped A-7off on the button with two people having called before me (UTG and like...UTG+3) Flop comes 2s 4c Ad. First position cbets weak (1bb), second guy calls, I call. Turn (3h), they check, I bet half pot. One folds, the other calls. River is like a 10 of diamonds. I bet pot, the other guy shoves. I think about it for a while and come to the conclusion that nobody is going to play 5-anything UTG, so I call. Dude has 8-5o.

That is exactly the kind of shit that Phil Hellmuth is always ranting about. Damn it all.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Depression's a bitch. I've been diagnosed with Manic-Depression since I was 14 and it's been a struggle my entire life. I would succumb to it entirely when I was younger, like a sailor tossed overboard in a storm, contemplating the pain of treading water or just giving up and sinking.

Sometime over the years I came to accept it will never change. It's apart of my fabric and it will be with me until the day I die, and I gained a better perspective of my depressive episodes and learned to recognize its onset like the coming of a cold or flu bug, or an Uninvited Guest. To know my limitations and weakness that occur when hit with an episode so that instead of succumbing to the poisonous thoughts, I knew it was just something to endure until the storm passed, or the visit was over.

The problem with depression is that it's a matter of internal perspective, and when one is lost in the depths of an episode, one's own thoughts are warped, deceptive and unhealthy, but that's the problem: Because a person is dependent on trusting in their thoughts, it's hard to recognize when they are presented through the warped lense of depression, so suddenly every posionous, wicked little thought gains credence as though it were gospil.

These days, even when I'm at my worst episodes (which, over the past few months, going through an emotionally confusing and indefinite seperation from the woman I want to marry, I've been brought to my knees in a way I haven't in years), there is still that small, luminescent voice in the back of my mind that has been strengthened by years of positive perspective, and it keeps me from succumbing to the poisonous intentions of my Univited Guest.

It's the voice that tells me that it's ok to smoke too much grass and drink myself silly for a couple of days, but after that, I must grab my bootstraps, pull towards the Heavens with all of my might and keep soldiering on so I do not give creedence to any of the warped thoughts I hold about myself during these times.

This shit's not easy, Jace, and every time you think you've gotten on top of it, there are devilishly new ways it'll manifest to throw you off kilter. Soldier on, mate. You are capable of so many brilliant things--those that you have done and those you will still do.

I know that I'm harder on people more than I should be a lot of times--especially towards those I see so much worldy possibilities in. It's a personal character flaw of my own, but I want you to know that you possess something that is not immitatable, and I've got the confidence in you. You've got an incredible network of support all around you, Jace, and my door is always open as well, should you ever want to walk through it. It doesn't lock.

Just be good to yourself right now.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have this rare type of ADD

http://www.second-hand-news.com/overfocused.html

It makes drawing 200% tougher.

Godfather on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I suffer from Lazy Ass Syndrome.

rts on
    edited March 2011
    I do too. I have a rather chronic and debilitating case.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited March 2011
    Siegfried wrote: »
    My ninja bicycle is way cooler than your ninja motorcycle.

I intentionally threw ninja into that post just to see who would post a Ninja. You win! (lose?)

Zx 6r. And this ninja is way cooler than any of your ninjas

ninjai on
This discussion has been closed.