As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earthquake off Japanese shore, Tsunami hits the Mainland

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    luckily my friend's relatives aren't in the main city that was hit
    they've probably evacuated

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ikebukuro after building evacuation.

I remember those buildings; the hotel room I was in is in this video shot. It's inland Tokyo there, so they just got shaking, not tsunami damage.
    Tokyo Ikebukuro is. I'm shaking and really knock out the evacuation. The building looks insane sway sway .. .. I'm scared now!

SabreMau on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    just by the way, a modern nuclear reactor would pretty require an earthquake, a tsunami, a 747, and a meteor all hitting it at the same time to do anything really dangerous

L|ama on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    luckily my friend's relatives aren't in the main city that was hit
    they've probably evacuated

a small huzzah for them, then

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    How long has this super moon been known here. First time i've heard of it. Amazing stuff

I'm glaring at you angrily

dunce-cap.jpg

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My aunt lives in Tokyo

I really hope she's okay

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anime joke

Tsunamis terrify me and I hope there's not too many deaths or damage.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    watching the footage and figuring out the of scale made realise god damn there is no way you are outrunning one of those fuckers

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, NHK is apparently reporting that the nuclear reaction in question did shut down (scrammed, I think), but that the problem is a coolant system failed and they need it to carry away residual heat as it cools down.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If anyone interested here's a strait feed to japanese tv for those who don't have it at home.
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tbstv

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Holy shit. I just watched two waves just smash into this dry parking lot from North and South sides and wash them away like toys.

I drew arrows

holshit.jpg

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    That's about 20 seconds into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO2-LT9pflM

SabreMau on
  • Options
    KashiKashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Living in the western part of Ibaraki Prefecture. All the teachers I work with say this is the first time they've ever experienced something this big, and I believe it.

We probably won't have a good idea of just how much damage this is going to be until tomorrow. This sucks, major, but honestly a lot of what's gone down has been fairly lucky.

This thing hit us in the middle of the day, when people are least likely to have their heaters running (or even be at home for that matter.) If this had happened in the middle of the night there would likely be many, many more places on fire right now.

Most of the damage is probably going to be from the tsunami rather than the quakes themselves. Japan has been prepping pretty much every building they've been physically able for this size quake. They've been predicting a "big one" for quite some time, though it was expected to be more to the south. This is why you'll probably not see quite the same degree of devastation as you did in New Zealand, although this is over a much wider area (nearly the whole country felt the quake.)

It's been seven hours now and we are still feeling aftershocks. This is my first experience with an earthquake worth noting. Everything before this has been like a mild cough compared to now, which you might equate to someone having a coughing fit so hard they break one of their own ribs.

Seven hours. It's been so long the fear has begun to blur into annoyance. Each shock is scary, but I also have this feeling of "come on now, stop it already."

Everyone I know here is safe and sound. I can only hope that most others share my good fortune.

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the unending aftershocks have been the biggest complaint from everyone i know in christchurch, and I can definitely understand that

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, there's a couple of people sitting on the beach in Waikiki on the live camera feed. They got about 5-20 minutes to scoot.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kashi wrote: »

It's been seven hours now and we are still feeling aftershocks. This is my first experience with an earthquake worth noting. Everything before this has been like a mild cough compared to now, which you might equate to someone having a coughing fit so hard they break one of their own ribs.

This part isn't surprising considering that this is one of the strongest quakes in recorded history.

Glad that you and yours are alright.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Live feed from hawaii? Where i could use another video feed. (i have 4 so far)

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the guy on the news called them dumb

my friend lives on a mountain overlooking waikiki, she's going to try get footage if anything happens (iphone camera, might not really be good enough at that distance)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This is the one I've got open:
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Just watching a Hawaiian TV station here, first waves due in about an hour.
    my friend lives on a mountain overlooking waikiki, she's going to try get footage if anything happens (iphone camera, might not really be good enough at that distance)

The lighting's not really all that good at 3 AM, an iPhone camera will probably just see a lot of blank.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This CNN live feed of the Hawaii news is both aggravating and hilarious in that it's just a shot of a browser to a different CNN page with that video full screened. And every so often that video times out so you see the browser and some dude has to sit there and refresh the page and full screen the video again.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Well, there's a couple of people sitting on the beach in Waikiki on the live camera feed. They got about 5-20 minutes to scoot.

Could you provide a link to this? I'll want to keep an eye on this developing.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    apparently the people at waikiki beach left
    hahaha

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There's some good feeds from cnn here.

CNN Hawaii coverage

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well you know

It was either that or die.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    apparently the people at waikiki beach left
    hahaha

Yeah, it looked like they were joined by a third guy who looked to be (from a distance) a police officer, and then the next time they went to that camera they were all gone.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Allegedly there are twitter remarks that the water has receded around 150 feet. Not a terribly reliable source, but ominous nevertheless.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    holy shit

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The seat those guys were on is now wet.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    CBS feed is showing the water level is rising. Last couple of minutes have had calm shores, and ripples are starting to show.

The wave is already here.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah
    and the one with the floodlights by diamond head went all the way up and past the wall

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so what is the distance between the epicenter and hawaii?

Foolproof on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really, really far

edit: fortunately they've had a lot of warning so hopefully nobody will get hurt there

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really, really far

edit: fortunately they've had a lot of warning so hopefully nobody will get hurt there

I'm just wondering about the mph of the wave.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All the sites that have been linked have their media players bocked at work. WTH work, this is kinda more important than whatever paranoia you guys have about internet video clips.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When my mum heard about this she just got really angry about them having nuclear power.
    If I say anything about how safe newer plants are she will just block it out and get mad. So I essentially have to sit and bite my lip any time nuclear power is mentioned. Ever. Nope not possible you can't make something that has gone wrong before safe ever.

She goes apeshit about power usage too, one LED that is sitting on while something isn't in use sends her into a frenzy.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Really, really far

I'm pretty tired at this point, but I'm pretty sure the news I was listening to just said they could have been going 80mph, but at the point of them reaching the coast they're not going that fast any more. At least at this point.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/yokosonews

A Japanese guy speaking in English relaying news and damage reports directly from Japanese TV to the internet

There are times that I'm amazed at the sheer goddamn utility of the internet

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    so what is the distance between the epicenter and hawaii?

Cut-and-pasting the 500 mile marker on Google maps estimates around 3500 miles.

QIqk5.jpg

SabreMau on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really, really far

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/natural-disasters/tsunami3.htm

Also a quick and dirty googling suggest that at sea it was going at least 500 mph. It slows down a bunch when it gets to shallow water though

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    called my dad in hawaii to make sure everything is good. either he answered his phone underwater or I woke him up, so yeah, I think he's alright

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
This discussion has been closed.