As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Z0re wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked Merril, avaline, and Issabella for my first play through. Though I wish I had a fifth spot just for Varric so he could comment.

I took that group around a lot at the end of the game, though I sometimes ditched Aveline or Isabella for Varric.

I also would swap varric in for tougher fights, and aveline would be dropped for Fenris, but after a particularly nasty exchange between him and merril I uhh left him at his mansion.

Vsove thats glorious.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was planning on running with Aveline, Isabella, and Anders for my first go round, but Anders isn't quite the joy I thought he'd be so I'm thinking of replacing him with Varric or maybe Merrill (who I haven't met yet).

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To get off the topic of Mass Effect, I'm going to predict the rankings in which people will like characters,

1) Varric
    2) Bethany
    3) Sebastian
    4) Aveline
    5) Carver
    6) Merrill
    7) Fenris
    8) Isabela
    9) Anders

Though pretty much everyone except Varric is going to get a lot of hate I think. Sebastian and Bethany may escape because of how vanilla they are, but the hate for everyone else is going to go insane pretty quickly.
    That might be right around here, but in general Merrill and Isabela are going to be a lot higher, and Aveline will be a lot lower because she's not as funny/sarcastic.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MrPsycohed wrote: »
    A word of warning to anyone looking to use the Maker's Breath respec potion in the Black Emporium: don't.

Not unless you want to exploit a glitch in order to get a super-powered Hawke. In that case, yeah, go nuts. I've respec'd my Hawke a couple times and recently noticed that I magically got back one of the abilities I had respec'd out of. Did a little testing and apparently if you use the potion, save, and then reload that save, some or all of the stuff you respec'd out of will be back in your list of abilites. Use the potion again, and you keep those extra points. Repeat for hilarity. This also affects specialization points, which can lead to all sorts of zanyness.

edit: Oh, I should mention that this doesn't work on companions. Just Hawke.

This happened to me when I was playing. Just make sure to save before you take the potion if you're looking to avoid the glitch.

Szechuan on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To get off the topic of Mass Effect, I'm going to predict the rankings in which people will like characters,

1) Varric
    2) Bethany
    3) Sebastian
    4) Aveline
    5) Carver
    6) Merrill
    7) Fenris
    8) Isabela
    9) Anders

Though pretty much everyone except Varric is going to get a lot of hate I think. Sebastian and Bethany may escape because of how vanilla they are, but the hate for everyone else is going to go insane pretty quickly.

That's not my ranking, except Varric, because Varric is awesome :)

I actually like Anders - as a fellow apostate mage we have a lot in common (other than the crazy demon possession thing :P). He generally seems like an ok guy too. I also like Isabela and Bethany is dead, so I dunno :P

One I hate the most is probably Fenris just because he is so whiny. GOD, OK I GET IT. You don't like mages because one mage was a dick to you. I took him out of my party as soon as I realized he was just going to be constantly starting shit over this (with Hawke being a mage especially). Aveline is kind of annoyingly "paragon" (like, TOO paragon) and disapproves of everything, and Carver has attention issues.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    vsove wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

When you run across the one brother he's getting a blowjob from a hooker.
    That scene was originally supposed to be A) tamer and B) containing more people.

Fellatio ended up saving me about 16 hours of work. Is there anything that fellatio can't do?

The answer to that is always "No".

Also, good work, sir. Good work.

"Is she about to... no.... No... NO!!! Haha! That's greatness"

Decoy on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, quick question about Sebasatian.

I'm about to finish Act 1, and I still have not picked him up as a companion. I completed his Chanter's Board quest, received the reward from him, and then he wandered off.

Am I am able to pick him up as a permanent companion before the end of Act 1, and if I am able, must I do it before going to the Deep Roads in order to have him as a permanent party member?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

1) Varric
    2) Bethany
    3) Sebastian
    4) Aveline
    5) Carver
    6) Merrill
    7) Fenris
    8) Isabela
    9) Anders

That might be right around here, but in general Merrill and Isabela are going to be a lot higher, and Aveline will be a lot lower because she's not as funny/sarcastic.

Yeah, I don't really care what people outside of these threads think because I won't really be interacting with them much. Besides, its still dangerous to say you like this game on some areas of the internet. If I was doing an overall ranking out of everyone who will play this game...

1) Varric
    2) Merrill
    3) Isabela
    4) Fenris
    5) Bethany
    6) Aveline
    7) Carver
    8) Sebastian
    9) Anders

Which is a lot closer to how I actually would rank them. I basically made this list from bottom up though, I don't think Merrill would be ranked at two but I honestly have no idea who the hell would be ranked over her.

Z0re on
    edited March 2011
    Aveline and Issabella are a great party for conversations, especially after an act 2 quest.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2011

I'm about to finish Act 1, and I still have not picked him up as a companion. I completed his Chanter's Board quest, received the reward from him, and then he wandered off.

Am I am able to pick him up as a permanent companion before the end of Act 1, and if I am able, must I do it before going to the Deep Roads in order to have him as a permanent party member?

Act 2 brosef, don't have to worry about it until act 2.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't even been to the deep roads yet, I have about two side quests before I head down there. Of course I have Aveline, Bethany and Varric. Merril I picked up not too long ago, and 9 hours into the game I've met Anders.

Where the hell is Isabella?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited March 2011
    Reposting in new thread. Build discussion, ho!
    Madness!

Go full force mage -- it's unbelievable. If someone's standing next to the little blue marker in the center of Gravitic Ring then they're frozen. For twenty seconds. And you've got a spell (Pull of the Abyss) that can dump everyone in a twenty foot wide ring right on top of said little blue marker. Drop an AoE or two on top of that (I like Tempest) and you're done.

They're fine in and of themselves, but they aren't like, for example, reaver.

Reaver spec pretty much doubles the damage of every other ability you have. There is no mage equivalent - if you want to increase the damage of your chain lightning, none of the other trees are going to help (except maybe a debuff hex). Which is sad times.

A warrior can go vanguard reaver and then stick a few more points in berserker and every level up is increasing the damage and potence of his moves - whereas with the mage specs it's much more of a smorgasbord :(

You speak the truth. My preference in these sorts of games is to build a 'fire-and-forget' character who is basically death on wheels from his passives alone. My philosophy is "He should still be fuckoff deadly in starter equipment" because I have an inferiority complex. :wink:

I'm curious if/how yours differs. I'm not at home but my 2H Hawke dinged 20 before I left town and is roughly as follows:

Build/specialization spoilers.
    I respecced Hawk at least seven times in the late game to see what worked best for my play style.

Atts:
    35ish str/con and the rest into willpower, heavy armor duh.

Abilities:
    Berserker: Everything except for Adrenaline's upgrades because the stam-to-damage ratio is so terrible compared to reaver/vanguard buffs that it just isn't worth the extra points. I never use Adrenaline anyway.

Reaver: All skills, no upgrades to the aura or to the cooldown on Blood Frenzy because it does just fine as it is.

Battlemaster: Full lower path, no upper path.

Warmonger: upgraded Taunt and Bravery

Vanguard: Might aura with upgrade, the "- physical resist" skill, upgraded Cleave and the two passives (deathblow and one other). I didn't touch the bottom-right skill.

2H - all the core abilities, and am using the last couple level ups to max out whirlwind and mighty blow. With this much damage, whirlwind's guaranteed crit makes it a room-clearing ability.

Stamina regen = +20 base, not factoring in equipment. +5% bonus on top of normal kill bonus.

Anders is specced to keep Haste and Heroic Aura up at all times as consistently as possible. Aveline has that Synergy skill (which does stack with Bravery if two different characters are using them.) When everything is going the game actually has to add a second column of buffs above my skill buttons. :D

Using The Build
    Pretty easy to figure out. Berserker, Bravery, Might and the Haste/Synergy are always active. This eats up a big chunk of stamina, but my Hawke is sitting around 199 base so it doesn't matter much, especially with the regen boosts.

1. See enemy.
    2. Pop Cleave (+100% damage), pop Barrage (+50% attack speed on top of Haste), pop blood frenzy (+200% base, up to 400% when frenzy is active) if/when my health is low.
    3.Kill the nearest mook to activate the reaver skill that boosts attack speed another 30%, then use Taunt.
    4.Whirlwind, then mash A, using skills as necessary. Bolster/Second Wind if I run out of stamina but to be honest I rarely drop below 50% (of whatever is not used up by sustains) in a normal fight. Larger battles/boss fights are different, obviously, but basically achieve the same result.
    5.Within about 10 seconds of starting step 1, my button mashing accidentally loots a mook which lets me know the fight is done
    6.Repeat.

I first hit dudes for over 1000 damage sometime around level 8, though that was just incredible luck. On average Hawke is hitting 250-500 a hit, AoE because it's 2H, and he's close to if not exceeding double his normal attack speed because of the buffs/haste. Melee enemies get burned down fast but the real treat is clearing out their entire mage/rogue support lines in seconds.

Amazingly, Aveline still holds aggro like a champ. Hawke does so much damage I respecced her out of strength and just boosted con and willpower so the cost of her sustains is basically meaningless. She's still got more stamina than she can spend before the cooldowns reset.

tl;dr - This isn't a game about maxing trees, it's a game about cherry-picking and good lord are the cherries tasty in Kirkwall. Hawke can near, but probably not exceed, 800-1000dps to everything around him. If he crits, it just gets worse for anyone who isn't Hawke. Hawke is a goddamn lawnmower.

In case people haven't been (ab)using Runes this time around, they scale with the quality of your equipment. One element resistance rune grants ~70% if it's in an endgame chest piece. By the way, does anyone know where the fire resistance rune is? I have the others.

Szechuan on
    edited March 2011

You pick him up in Act 2.

Z0re on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm finding Merrill to be really annoying. Stubborn to a fault, naive, unwilling to listen to anyone... ugh. She goes into the Fenris pile.

Nightslyr on
    edited March 2011
    I don't think Merrill would be ranked at two but I honestly have no idea who the hell would be ranked over her.
    Anyone and everyone except Anders. :P

Sure would be nice to have a mage that wasn't completely insufferable in your party, but them's the breaks I guess.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited March 2011
    I don't think Merrill would be ranked at two but I honestly have no idea who the hell would be ranked over her.

Sure would be nice to have a mage that wasn't completely insufferable in your party, but them's the breaks I guess.

I still maintain that Carver, Fenris, Sebastian, Isabella, and Anders at the very least are more insufferable. And I like half of them.

Z0re on
    edited March 2011

I still maintain that Carver, Fenris, Sebastian, Isabella, and Anders at the very least are more insufferable. And I like half of them.

"OH NO DEMONS HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING WAIT I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT THE ANSWER IS MORE DEMONS"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, wait. Back to the costume conversation. Isabela has a second look?

Because I totally got the big romantic kiss in the Gallows, but she was definitely in the same outfit throughout the last segment.

Maybe the other characters you romance get new gear, but unless Isabela's is insanely specific, I'm not sure she's one of them.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited March 2011

"OH NO DEMONS HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING WAIT I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT THE ANSWER IS MORE DEMONS"

But... demons didn't ruin everything. And demons give you free stuff if you're a protagonist. I'm seeing more of a problem with people in these games than demons.
    InkSplat wrote: »

Because I totally got the big romantic kiss in the Gallows, but she was definitely in the same outfit throughout the last segment.

Maybe the other characters you romance get new gear, but unless Isabela's is insanely specific, I'm not sure she's one of them.

She does get a new outfit, or did for me when I platonically friendshipped her 100%. It had more black and a spikey thing on her shoulder.

Z0re on
    edited March 2011

Yeah, can someone post a spoilery-surrounded explaination of how to get that?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    One I hate the most is probably Fenris just because he is so whiny. GOD, OK I GET IT. You don't like mages because one mage was a dick to you. I took him out of my party as soon as I realized he was just going to be constantly starting shit over this (with Hawke being a mage especially). Aveline is kind of annoyingly "paragon" (like, TOO paragon) and disapproves of everything, and Carver has attention issues.

No, he doesn't like Mages because Tevinter is an unspeakably corrupt magocracy that makes some of the worst excesses of the Roman Emperors look tame.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I haven't even been to the deep roads yet, I have about two side quests before I head down there. Of course I have Aveline, Bethany and Varric. Merril I picked up not too long ago, and 9 hours into the game I've met Anders.

ya this took me a while as well. after about 7 hours i happened to go back into the hanging man to talk to varric and isabella was tehre

so uh go to the hanging man

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Where's my New Game+? I want my New Game+ :cry: Well, that was a nice romp. It does feel like it was rushed though, lots of incomplete bits. Still a fun ride though! *Begins play-through 2*

Well, if anyone wants to know about the comically simple infinite exp/gold cheat, just open this spoiler. It's so simple and effective you'll wonder why you never found it while doing a normal play-through. This is for 360 version by the way. I recommend finishing the game without it the first time. The mobs will scale with you, so this is more for playing with skill combos and free gold than anything else. I like to think they left this in on purpose in leu of a proper NG+.
    Step 1. Find an trash item somewhere in the world that is actually a quickie-quest turn in. The kind that just gives you the reward once you talk to the NPC and does not open a cinematic or conversation dialogue.
    Step 2. Walk up to the NPC and un-sheath your weapon.
    Step 3. Press A ONCE to turn in the quest and nothing else. Don't move, turn, or even spin the camera
    Step 4. Wait for your character to automatically sheath his weapon.
    Step 5. Press A again to get the reward again...and again...and again. This will end once you press any other button.
    Step 6. Enjoy your NewGame+!*

When you first try this and boost yourself to astounding levels early in the game, you'll notice a lack of higher-level gear. Don't worry, just visit nearby merchants and they will begin to get level-appropriate standard gear to give you a leg up as you finish quests. Just go visit them every now and again.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
    edited March 2011

She does get a new outfit, or did for me when I platonically friendshipped her 100%. It had more black and a spikey thing on her shoulder.

Wha? How did you manage that? I 100% frendshipped her and romanced her, but got nothing. wtf.

InkSplat on
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »

No, he doesn't like Mages because Tevinter is an unspeakably corrupt magocracy that makes some of the worst excesses of the Roman Emperors look tame.
    No, see, he's upset about this wildly upsetting thing that happened to him, so he's a whiny emo douche.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Wha? How did you manage that? I 100% frendshipped her and romanced her, but got nothing. wtf.

Its to do with the conversation options, if you pry to much or make too much out of the sex you won't get it.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

She's at the bar in the Hanging Man after you finish the Main Plot quest Tranquility.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Also, Merrill's costume change is terrible and Anders' is neutral. Besides those two and Isabella, I didn't get a costume change with anyone else.

Z0re on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I do love Varric's taunting of Fenris. Primary reason I put Fenris in my party.

I've found myself frequently alternating between parties of Aveline/Merril/Isabella and Varric/Fenris/Anders. It's odd.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited March 2011
    Angel177 wrote: »

Its to do with the conversation options, if you pry to much or make too much out of the sex you won't get it.

Oooh. So
    When she asked if I was going to bring feelings into it, if I had picked no, I would have gotten it, but since I picked the "why not?" option, I didn't?

Well, now that I know it all comes down to one dialogue option, I'll have to be more careful next time.

Though, man. I maxxed Isabela, Merrill, and Varric, but didn't get a single costume change. Kinda makes me a sad panda!

InkSplat on
    edited March 2011

Oooh. So
    When she asked if I was going to bring feelings into it, if I had picked no, I would have gotten it, but since I picked the "why not?" option, I didn't?

Well, now that I know it all comes down to one dialogue option, I'll have to be more careful next time.

Though, man. I maxxed Isabela, Merrill, and Varric, but didn't get a single costume change. Kinda makes me a sad panda!

I think Merrill only gets her change if you romance her, and Isabella only gets it if you don't romance her. Anders got his when I friendshipped him, but Fenris didn't get anything for 100% rivalry.

I have no idea how or why, but thats how it worked in my game.

Z0re on
    edited March 2011

Oooh. So

I'm conflicted about this sort of thing. On the one hand, I love the idea that there is so much to figure out about the little interrelations between the members. On the other, it is painful to think of how many playthroughs it would take to actually get everything sorted.

Szechuan on
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone else have a bugged chest in the Blooming Rose? It says there's nothing in it, but if I click Take All then it says I've gotten a crafting recipe for something like a Lightning Rune. Then if I come back later, the chest is lit up again, same deal.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Szechuan wrote: »
    I'm conflicted about this sort of thing. On the one hand, I love the idea that there is so much to figure out about the little interrelations between the members. On the other, it is painful to think of how many playthroughs it would take to actually get everything sorted.

If you want to just know you could always reload a save.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone else have a bugged chest in the Blooming Rose? It says there's nothing in it, but if I click Take All then it says I've gotten a crafting recipe for something like a Lightning Rune. Then if I come back later, the chest is lit up again, same deal.

I vaguely recall this - empty chest with a crafting recipe in it. Haven't tried to reopen it though.

Warlock82 on
    edited March 2011

I vaguely recall this - empty chest with a crafting recipe in it. Haven't tried to reopen it though.

The first time I opened it I got the rune without any fanfare, going back through it highlighted again and when I opened it it just gave me the codex.

Z0re on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Interesting bug. One of my party members zoned into an area behind the exit. So now anytime she tries to catch up she hits an invisible wall. Manually switching to them lets me run around behind the exit, but hitting it prompts the "leave area" screen.

Decoy on
    edited March 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    Interesting bug. One of my party members zoned into an area behind the exit. So now anytime she tries to catch up she hits an invisible wall. Manually switching to them lets me run around behind the exit, but hitting it prompts the "leave area" screen.

Clearly this is the work of some sort of malevolent Fade entity.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011

The first time I opened it I got the rune without any fanfare, going back through it highlighted again and when I opened it it just gave me the codex.

I couldn't remember if I'd gotten something from it already, but maybe I did. I'll have to go look through my runecrafting station and see if it's in there tonight.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Decoy wrote: »

Clearly this is the work of some sort of malevolent Fade entity.

I blame Blood Magic. Especially if it was in the room I'm thinking it was in :P

Warlock82 on
This discussion has been closed.