As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He's doing some of the best work of his career on Big Time.

Furu on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I quit reading spider-man a little after brand new day when anti-venom was running around and shit was getting (even more) stupid. Apparently it doesn't suck anymore? What would be a good issue to start reading from?

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fucking neon piping on every god damn character these days.

Langly on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I quit reading spider-man a little after brand new day when anti-venom was running around and shit was getting (even more) stupid. Apparently it doesn't suck anymore? What would be a good issue to start reading from?

Can we get the title changed to "Just start reading Big Time"? :P

Brand New Day wasn't bad (Shed was a fantastic arc), but Big Time is the first time in years that I'm actually following Spider-man monthly. And I was able to jump in with no problem.

Kyougu on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Big Time started at 648. So you should start reading at goddamn 648.

admanb on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    The Worthy

Thor

Spideys one-off costume

that's it

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    The Worthy

Thor

Spideys one-off costume

that's it

I can understand Peter's logic. Wear glowy piping = meet Olivia Wilde. It's worth testing in a scientific environment!

Wildcat on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't usually like IGN's comic coverage much, but they've got a preview of Venom #1 up: http://comics.ign.com/articles/115/1153407p1.html

This book has tiger's blood.

Hensler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm digging that preview. Flash Thompson and John Walker need to become drinking buddies.

Looks like I'll be buying my first 616 Spider-family book since 2007.

TexiKen on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can't wait for this!!!!

cardboard delusions on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that looks extremely rad

Antimatter on
    edited March 2011
    Spidey Super Stories has nothing on Spidey Super Theater Stories

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    That's some good stuff right there. And some pretty faithful artwork, too.

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, Spider-Man's pretty much just Newspaper Spider-Man now, right? Because it seems like this is the third or fourth time I've seen him felled by poor masonry, and I don't even read the book.
    6scmja.jpg

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    His Spider Sense is gone.

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    That is funny though, as good as when Peter punched himself in the face when he fought the Spot.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    b5i3qq.png

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    IT'S NOT EVEN A TRUCK MUNCH GOD

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    We can't see the back of that police car. It could easily be a lowrider police truck.

Man, Lowrider Police Truck is an A&E TV show waiting to happen.

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    Steven Seagal: Lowrider Police Truck

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    Much, my offer of marriage is still open.

Wildcat on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They are obviously just setting up a scenario where he realizes he will have to defeat his problems with SCIENCE!

That is still hilarious.

admanb on
    edited March 2011
    But

That is exactly what has happened in the last two story arcs.

Plus the first issue of Big Time

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Did you get the surgery yet?

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Did you get the surgery yet?

I am pleased to say I did. This third arm makes it difficult to get suits that fit, but we'll work something out.

Wildcat on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guys, I've just picked up Grim Hunt because I love Kraven's Last Hunt so much and have heard good things about this, of course, and I've gotta say, as someone who doesn't know much about the Spider-Man mythos I'm pretty lost: who are all of these Spider-Women? Who is Kaine? And Ezekiel? Like, there's some periphery information and not knowing the specifics isn't making the story suck or anything, but I'd like to know more!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well dang if that's not the most bizarre Spider-Man comic I've ever read

...Next to The Other, I guess.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kaine is Spidey's mutant psycho clone, who's on again/off again evil. I think he might be evil right now. Or dead. He could be dead. Sometimes he's dead.

Ezekiel, if I remember correctly, is a member of a cult who worships animal spirits, specifically the spider totem, hence all the cult members have spider powers. And they think Spidey is the messiah, or something. That was all post-Clone saga stuff, I only really skimmed it.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dunno if it needs spoilers at this point, but better safe than sorry.
    Back when JMS retconned Spidey's powers as magic: Ezekiel hunted down the spider-temple and went through a bunch of rituals to become the spider-totem and gain spider-powers. Spidey became a spider-totem by accident, bitten by ye olde radioactive spider...e. (in JMS' retelling, the radioactivity seemed to be beside the point, and Petey was 'chosen' by the spider or whatever forces that directed it) Problem was, the world wasn't big enough for two spider-totems. Kind of a 'there can be only one' deal.

IIRC.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man this whole "No one dies" idea Spidey is clinging to isn't going to end well for him.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think that's going to be the point of his Fear Itself arc.

cardboard delusions on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man this whole "No one dies" idea Spidey is clinging to isn't going to end well for him.

Well why would you say that? It's ended so well every other time he's taken this kind of stance...

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just don't wanna go through another arc down the line where Spidey has to come to terms with the fact that people are going to die and there's nothing he can do about it. He gets all mopey and annoying, only this time he'll have money.

And it'll probably be Carlie who's gonna get iced.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited March 2011
    They've done so many "Spidey comes to term with blank" stories, usually loss and death, like his House of M story. It got old a long time ago, it's why so many people are loving Big Time.

And given how people reacted to OMD do you think Marvel would be so tactless as to kill of his new beloved this soon?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Peter is being crazy delusional this time around.

I mean he his on two teams with Wolverine. People are going to die.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm more interested in following Jameson on this story angle, honestly. Spidey's made tragically unrealistic vows before, but I haven't read JJJ being this hard line before.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure I like this no spider sense thing. I really like Spider-Man as a dude that pulls off impossible feats. He was like an amateur super hero in this last issue.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure I like this no spider sense thing. I really like Spider-Man as a dude that pulls off impossible feats. He was like an amateur super hero in this last issue.

It's not like he's going to get shot every issue. The only reason he looked bad was to give him motivation to use his tech skills. Now that he's making crazy webbing and suits of armor, he probably isn't going to be whiffing it against generic gunmen anymore.

That said, I still think it would've been better to take away his super-strength instead.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2011
    So i kinda stole my friends FCBD issue of Spider-Man... Hot damn they are really pushing Kingsley to be an inverted Peter Parker. Now with annoying, blonde MJ wanna-be! (Actually I love Norah, but Jesus!)

shitty_jackpot.jpg

Really? Pumpkin?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why do all the hot comic girls hook up with ugly dudes?

Pyschology nerds help a fella out!

Caveman Paws on