As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's the Blitzkrieg Bop. - Fear Itself

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
FEAR ITSELF

1299870033.jpg
Written by Matt Fraction with art by Stuart Immonen, the latest Marvel event center's on Odin's dirty little secret. He may not be the All-Father. Red Skull(Sin, not her father) discovers this and frees Odin's worst fear, a god that he has imprisoned for milennia. In return for her service, Sin is made into the new Goddess of Fear. Cue mass hysteria.
1299595763.jpg
In a recent interview Fraction has said the story's core is a Steve Rogers/Thor story, but is so wide in scope that the entire Marvel Universe is affected. While the temptation to include every hero in the main story was there, Fraction wanted the miniseries to be self-contained, so he is limiting the characters to his favorites name dropping Iron Fist, Ms. Marvel, Dr. Strange and The Blue Marvel.
1298931012.jpg
Also key to the event are The Worthy, a group of nine heroes and villains that have been chosen to wield 9 hammers with abilities comparable to Thor's Mjolnir. So far, we know that Hulk, Juggernaut and Grey Gargoyle are members along with Absorbing Man likely from the Avengers Academy tie-in cover.

THE TIE-INS
Fear Itself: Book of the Skull - One-Shot
16DF804D-AF61-42D2-A3C7-E2304EF680029.jpg
Story by Ed Brubaker
Art by Scott Eaton

Fear Itself: Spider-Man - 3 Issues
FEARITSM1cov.jpg
Story by Chris Yost
Art by Mike McKone

Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt - 6 Issues
FEARITYIR001_cov-col.jpg
Story by Sean McKeever
Art by Mike Norton

Fear Itself: The Home Front
FEARIT_HF_1.jpg
Stories by Peter Milligan, Howard Chaykin, Christos Gage and others
Art by Mike Mayhew, Elia Bonetti, Howard Chaykin and more

Fear Itself: The Fearsome Four - 4 Issues
1299773871.jpg
Story by Brandon Montclare
Art by Michael Kaluta

Fear Itself: Deadpool - 3 Issues
1299687262.jpg
Story by Christopher Hastings
Art by Bong Dazo

Fear Itself: The Worthy - 8 issues, digital exclusive
1299100888.jpg
Creative Team TBA

Fear Itself: Black Widow - One-Shot
1299864102.jpg
Story by Cullen Bunn
Art by Peter Nguyen

Thunderbolts 158
1299607977.jpg
Story by Jeff Parker
Art by Kev Walker

Invincible Iron Man 503-504
INVIM503_cvrcol.jpg
Story by Matt Fraction
Art by Salvador Larocca

Journey into Mystery 622-623
JIM622_cov_col.jpg
Story by Kieron Gillen
Art by Doug Braithewaite

Herc 3
HERC003_cvr.jpg
Story by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente
Art by Neil Edwards

Iron Man 2.0 5
IMTWOPO005_covcol.jpg
Story by Nick Spencer
Art by Ariel Olivetti

Avengers 13
AVNV4013001_COL_cov.jpg
Story by Brian Michael Bendis
Art by Chris Bachalo

Secret Avengers 13
SECAVN013.jpg
Story by Nick Spencer
Art by Scott Eaton

Avengers Academy 15
1299511261.jpg
Story by Christos Gage
Art by Tom Raney

Ghost Rider 1-?
1300473883.jpg
Story by Rob Williams
Art by Matt Clark

Fear Itself: The Deep
1300473923.jpg
Story by Cullen Bunn
Art by Lee Gerbet

It should be noted that Fraction has said that none of the tie-ins would be required reading for the main event, so pick and choose at your leisure gentlemen.
ISSUE TWO OUT THIS WEEK

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Deadpool cracked me up!

CJG on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't know there was a Black Widow one-shot too.

TexiKen on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It has a pretty good creative team too, I may pick it up.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why yes, as a matter of fact I could use an explanation of this event.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn that is a lot of tie-ins

Solar on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    from that interview today, I'm kinda feeling that bucky might become a "worthy"

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So what has more tie-in issues - Fear Itself or Flashpoint? And will Marvel and DC be sending new shelving to shops so they have someplace to put all of this?

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    Depends on what you mean by tie-ins. Fear Itself has 6 new miniseries, 7 if you count The Worthy. Other than two one-shots, all of the other tie-ins are in other already published titles.

Meanwhile Flashpoint has 15 brand new miniseries and some one shots.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Flashpoint is a much more interesting premise to me, but that is no slam to Marvel since they have done alternate timelines so many times before.

I would really love to read this in singles, along with the deadpool mini and maybe a couple of the one shots. However, I am sort of pressed for cash.

I really look forward to seeing the arcs for Avengers and Invincible Iron Man later on in trade, though.

HadjiQuest on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    /scoffs

Excluding the digital mini, it's fewer tie-ins than World War Hulk. I believe that makes it the smallest number of tie-ins to date of either company. Even with those eight it is one more than WWH's 33.

This is compared to Civil War with approximately 168 and Secret Invasion at 120 (125 if you include the DCU Home Invasion series). I had to make spreadsheets to track all the tie-ins for CW, SI, Siege, Final Crisis, and Blackest Night. The collected trades for CW and SI take up most of entire shelves at the bookstore.

No. This is in no way "a lot."

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2011
    Admittedly, those are only the tie-ins we know about so far

some of those pre-existing books could have multi-issue arcs.

But still, it really isn't that much of a tie-in fest compared to other events, especially since most of them are in other books and not miniseries.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    If this list is incomplete then there should be much crotch-punching owed to Marvel.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, there's probably an additional, yet-to-be-solicited 1-4 issues of most of those ongoings listed above. And possibly a handful of ongoings that have tie-ins planned, but not until later in the event.

HadjiQuest on
    edited March 2011
    I doubt there will be many others, if any. The only thing is how many more issues of the already existing ongoings will tie-in.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    /scoffs

Excluding the digital mini, it's fewer tie-ins than World War Hulk. I believe that makes it the smallest number of tie-ins to date of either company. Even with those eight it is one more than WWH's 33.

This is compared to Civil War with approximately 168 and Secret Invasion at 120 (125 if you include the DCU Home Invasion series). I had to make spreadsheets to track all the tie-ins for CW, SI, Siege, Final Crisis, and Blackest Night. The collected trades for CW and SI take up most of entire shelves at the bookstore.

No. This is in no way "a lot."

Jesus Christ, how do you guys keep up with this stuff?

The OP tie-ins already looks extremely hard to follow.

Godfather on
    edited March 2011
    I think the only Marvel tie-ins I've ever read (so far; my trade backlog for Marvel is crazy) have been the Cable & Deadpool House of M issues and a single New Avengers Siege issue (I wanted to see how much it tied in; the answer was not very).

For years before I actually read singles, whenever I thought of Marvel I thought of tie-ins and crossovers. After having came along for Siege, I understand just how far removed some of that stuff is now. The entry barrier just seemed ridiculous from the outside, but now I really dig it.

And DC started to catch up with Blackest Night. I read way too many of the awful tie-ins for that. And now with Flashpoint, there are actually compelling reasons to check in with each mini.

In comparison, this seems pretty low key. Perhaps it's because Fraction's big summer crossover appeal is currently untested?

HadjiQuest on
    edited March 2011
    You don't have to.

They explicitly said none of the tie-ins are required for Fear Itself. So if you see one you think you'd like, get it. If you have no interest in any of them, don't. Either way you will get the same main story.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm actually looking foreward to this event. I'm essentially hoping for something like Chaos War, but done right.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited March 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    I had to make spreadsheets to track all the tie-ins for CW, SI, Siege, Final Crisis, and Blackest Night.

Jesus Christ, how do you guys keep up with this stuff?

Crimsondude on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah all the other stories are extra stuff showing how other heroes are handling the world going crazy

Personally I'm more interested in Fear Itself: Spider-Man and Youth in Revolt than I am the main book!

Furu on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know we've already covered this, but that new Herc design looks like the most DC-like of any costume Marvel's done in as long as I can remember. That's not an indictment of either group, but, I can't help but feel that it has the DC look of a lot of their general titles rather than the overall tone and style Marvel is known for.

Linespider5 on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now that I look at Herc's outfit again, I see your point. If you put a big H on his chest, it'd easily be in the vein of Batman or Green Lantern's outfits.

Robos A Go Go on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    all i see when i look at the herc cover is his horribly deformed arm.

Angry on
    edited March 2011
    You have a problem when your costume redesign screams Roy Harper. Not a role model by any stretch.

Maybe combined with the arm thing it's... foreshadowing?

HadjiQuest on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I figured it was something like:

Artist: There! Done!

Editorial: He looks too menacing, he needs to appear more human, and innocent. Right now it looks like he set that city on fire himself.

Artist: I...I spent a week on this. The deadline you set is tomorrow morning.

Editorial: That's right. Now give us that new Herc we want.

Artist: (grumbling, in panic, draws arm wound)

Editorial: PERFECT!

Linespider5 on
    edited March 2011
    Beast looks fantastic on that Secret Avengers cover.

Hensler on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hensler wrote: »

That's pretty good artwork I must say. Is it just me or does BW look like Olivia Wilde on that cover? (not that I'm complaining)

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hensler wrote: »

That's pretty good artwork I must say. Is it just me or does BW look like Olivia Wilde on that cover? (not that I'm complaining)

Now that you mention it, yeah, she does. And whenever Beast wears his spectacles into battle it's good art.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, wait...the Blue Marvel is going to be in this event? They're actually deigning to acknowledge his existence now?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited March 2011
    He was in the Age of Heroes anthology. Or was it I'm An Avenger. Either way.

Furu on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He was also referenced in Thunderbolts, Cage said it was the Blue Marvel who brought in Hyperion.

Solar on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it was Age of Heroes #3.

He beat up King Hyperion in it.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited March 2011
    616 Hyperion is basically an evil Superman, right?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited March 2011
    No, 616 Hyperion's a good guy. King Hyperion's from another world in Exiles.

Furu on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought the 616 Hyperion was a bad guy?

Either way King Hyperion is an evil SOB.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited March 2011
    I'm not really up on Exiles. I wasn't aware that that stuff bled into 616, with the exception of Nocturne being in 616 (is she still?).

wwtMask on
    edited March 2011
    There are way too many Hyperions, but the only good ones live outside 616. I think 616 only has the Squadron Sinister, who are evil duplicates of the Squadron Supreme.

Anyway, Blue Marvel is pretty cool. Marvel doesn't have enough McCarthy-era heroes, and there aren't enough black heroes from that era in any books.

(Everyone read The American Way.)

Also, if there was ever an opportunity to do a story about racial tensions without it seeming too heavy-handed or out of place, Fear Itself would be it.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2011
    There are way too many Hyperions, but the only good ones live outside 616. I think 616 only has the Squadron Sinister, who are evil duplicates of the Squadron Supreme.

Anyway, Blue Marvel is pretty cool. Marvel doesn't have enough McCarthy-era heroes, and there aren't enough black heroes from that era in any books.

(Everyone read The American Way.)

Also, if there was ever an opportunity to do a story about racial tensions without it seeming too heavy-handed or out of place, Fear Itself would be it.

American Way is great. I like Blue Marvel, but he's basically a Marty Stu with Sentry level power. He needs his power toned down a bit, some convincing villains, and a reason for doing the hero thing again. Since he's not time displaced or just waking up from stasis, I'm not sure how a story about him coming to grips with past racism works very well. Something interesting would be seeing him as a father and perhaps having to deal with his kids inheriting some/most of his powers.

wwtMask on
    edited March 2011
    Oh yeah, I didn't mean doing a story about race with Blue Marvel. It'd probably be more appropriate to set it in Hell's Kitchen or some other place with street level heroes and a diverse population.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2011
    Make a sequel to The Crew, and have Blue Marvel take War Machine's place. Nothing racial about that.

Hensler on