As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Feminism [chat]

Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLYT O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
feminism.gif
feminism.jpg

SUCK IT, MEN

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yessssssssss

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    girl power!

rawr!

something something!

radroadkill on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't have anything to suck

Captain Carrot on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I propose that the very act of sucking "it" would reinforce the patriarchy, once again holding the sucking of "it" in the highest regard.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't decide if this is better or worse than '80s chat

Nerdgasmic on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't have anything to suck

get out of here, man

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cass, why would you do this thing?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Cass, in keeping with the theme of the Chat I was wondering if there is much discussion of (or even awareness of) vaccinations among the kind of feminist circles you keep refering to.

I ask because vaccinations have historicially (and should continue to be for some time) the single most important factor in improving the status of women worldwide. The future gains are mostly to be expected outside the 1st world of course but if someone wanted to pick one issue which would make the biggest difference for the most women I can't think of anything more effective (or realisticially possible and cost effective) than universal vaccinations.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited March 2011
    Riemann talkin' 'bout cootie shots.

wazilla on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Cass, in keeping with the theme of the Chat I was wondering if there is much discussion of (or even awareness of) vaccinations among the kind of feminist circles you keep refering to.

I ask because vaccinations have historicially (and should continue to be for some time) the single most important factor in improving the status of women worldwide. The future gains are mostly to be expected outside the 1st world of course but if someone wanted to pick one issue which would make the biggest difference for the most women I can't think of anything more effective (or realisticially possible and cost effective) than universal vaccinations.

I haven't seen this discussion in the circles I inhabit but I'm sure it's out there.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SUCK IT, MEN

But you don't have a cock for me to suck, so how is this supposed to work?

Also, wtf Microsoft? Windows 7 audio recorder only records in wma format and doesn't support wav anymore? O_o

mrflippy on
    edited March 2011
    WHAT I MENTION 'SUCK IT' AND YOU AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME THE 'IT' IS A PENIS

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF THIS

MALE DOMINATED

PHALLOCENTRIC

WOMEN OPPRESSING CULTURE

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY [CHAT]

edited March 2011

I haven't seen this discussion in the circles I inhabit but I'm sure it's out there.

Ah, well I guess that teaspooning thing takes up an aweful lot of time and effort. Wouldn't want to stand in the way of the Glorious Work :)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    feminism is boring

HAVE SOME TAX CHAT
    Al Pacino, who may be best known for the Godfather movies about the notorious Corleone mob family, is now finding he's up against a real foe... the Internal Revenue Service. Public documents show Pacino owes the IRS nearly $188,000.

tyrannus on
    edited March 2011

Ah, well I guess that teaspooning thing takes up an aweful lot of time and effort. Wouldn't want to stand in the way of the Glorious Work :)

punches inc

edited March 2011
    Honestly, I can't really help that my penis is so large that it creates its own cultural gravity well.

mrflippy on
    edited March 2011
    I at no point referred to a penis. Merely "it".

Why do you automatically assume I was talking about a penis?

Sexist.

wazilla on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hey cass are you ready for me to train you on wednesday

Pony on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    ahahahahhaa

"I found it!"

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »

i don't like this

i sense a trap

edited March 2011
    I heard that vaccinations are bad and will give me autism or mercury poisoning or something. Maybe we should stop vaccinating fish so we can eat sushi without fear of being poisoned.

mrflippy on
    edited March 2011

i don't like this

i sense a trap

what's wrong

don't you want me to educate and explain things to you, altering your perceptions and viewpoints of the world

Pony on
    edited March 2011
    Riemann, I'd hazard a guess that educating women (especially female heads of households) would be as important if not more so.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited March 2011

i don't like this

i sense a trap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnZQNATOiU0

tyrannus on
    edited March 2011

i don't like this

i sense a trap

what's wrong

don't you want me to educate and explain things to you, altering your perceptions and viewpoints of the world

you're embarrassing me in front of my friends

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cass, this blatant attempt at pandering to your former comrades will not earn you back their trust.

It is too late. Embrace your new role amongst you newfound allies in the Great Patriarchal Conspiracy and make us a collective sandwich.

It is the only way

HappylilElf on
    edited March 2011
    cass likes to make fun of people sometimes when they are getting the voice out about social issues

Koshian wrote: »
    actually NAFTA has been that bad for Mexico, so uh

Well thank God someone put a poster up in impact font, that's going to fix everything.

Pony on
    edited March 2011

i don't like this

i sense a trap

what's wrong

Mansplain harder, please.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    NOO MY SHAME

edited March 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

i don't like this

i sense a trap

what's wrong

ok, will do, arivia

Pony on
    edited March 2011

i don't like this

i sense a trap

what's wrong

It's better to mansplain smarter, not harder.

mrflippy on
    edited March 2011
    Riemann, I'd hazard a guess that educating women (especially female heads of households) would be as important if not more so.

I would disagree, though of course both are important. First off because vaccinations are orders of magnitude cheaper and easier to provide in developing nations than ongoing education. But also they have shown to have some non-intuitive long term positive effects.

Obviously they save lives by preventing disease. Also there are the secondary effects of preventing disease. Many of the people who survive diseases like polio, pertussus, measles as children still have long term physical and mental developmental problems because of them. Preventing those developmental problems makes for a big difference among all the surviving population.

The bigger long term effect (and perhaps more relevant to this conversation) is that it has proven to be the case that (suprisingly quickly) the reduction in child mortality due to vaccinations leads to a substantial and voluntary reduction in the birth rate (without the need to apply any morally squicky means to force people to have fewer children). This is where the big gains in the status of women are to be had. Less emphasis on women as a baby-making automatons, more women in the workforce, the physical time and ability to even contemplate higher education etc...

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited March 2011
    i always thought mansplaining was just explaining something to someone else that you have absolutely no idea about, and being completely cocksure about it

tyrannus on
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »
    i always thought mansplaining was just explaining something to someone else that you have absolutely no idea about, and being completely cocksure about it

Apparently what mansplaining actually specifically refers to is when a woman is talking to two men, and one of the guys has to translate what the woman is saying into man speak for the other to understand.

I think that's according to Pony, if I'm not mistaken.

wazilla on
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »

nope, that wasn't what the original coining of the term was about

mansplaining, as a term, came about to describe the phenomenon where someone will listen to the same explanation more readily from a man vs. a woman

like, a woman tries to explain something to you, and you're like "pfft, i don't think so", but a man does it and you are like "oh, ok, i understand"

that's mansplaining.

it's a cultural/gender bias.

however like all feminist jargon it's become so detached from anything meaningful and is now just a way to dismiss anything a man says at any time, especially if it is to a woman.

Pony on
    edited March 2011
    OK, so I was kind of wrong. Yay Pony!

wazilla on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That makes so much more sense when Pony types it.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    my life would be meaningless and without direction if I didn't have Pony

Nerdgasmic on
    edited March 2011
    Like all feminist jargon. Sheez.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Like all feminist jargon. Sheez.

I'm sorry give me a piece of feminist jargon that isn't over-used and detached from it's original meaning due to usage deviation and shit.

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.