As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Reach || Daily Challenge: Post in The New Thread, This One Is Done

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Some guy was bragging about how the banhammer was never going to get him.

Expected result is expected.

cU8E0.png

Hilarious.

what even better is the idiots own words are---

"As long as you know what you're doing, there's no risk involved."

hahah, No risk? Nice. Way to fail there.

Viscountalpha on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Story and atmosphere-wise, Reach actually feels like a step backwards from ODST. ODST was fantastic and full of great moments, despite being such a short game.

All of the ODSTs dropping from orbit? Exploring the the city at night, alone? Watching the space elevator collapse? Buck desperate to get to Dutch and Mickey after their pelican is shot down? The whole scene where Buck, Mickey, Dutch, and Romeo take down a single Brute chieftain? The four of them trying to escape the city at night, their mission failed, trying to get the injured Romeo to safety? Driving along the highway as the covies glass the city?

So great.

Arteen on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, personal favorite of the soundtracks. Just feels like they hit on everything I liked with ODST.

Mechanical on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yea, I'd have to agree with you guys about ODST being fantastic. The whole story was very enjoyable.

Viscountalpha on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    ODST is probably my favorite campaign. I'd say I also like the soundtrack the most. Most people I know that barely play Halo kept telling me how much they loved ODST's campaign as compared to the other games.

Reach is right behind it though.

Maybe I'm a sucker for Piano heavy tracks. But also the latter half of Skyline is just awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q-HxbVbuMA

I also love Halo Wars' soundtrack. I hope they bring Stephen Rippy back to do Halo Wars 2's music if they decide to go ahead with a sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFEPTxsiatM

FyreWulff on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The ODST campaign is fantastic however it takes a backseat to the original Halo in my opinion.

I will admit that ODST is the better written, but that initial sense of awe and wonder can't be topped for me.

You guys miss me yet? I'll be on more than likely later sometime today

Where's Katsuhiro at?

Snowblindvictim on
    edited March 2011
    So many original bees are gone. I'm sad.

Viscountalpha on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to several years ago Viscount.

DarkPrimus on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, some of us new Bees aren't so bad you know

Snowblindvictim on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, some of us Bees aren't new or old, we're juuuuust right.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    If google and wikipedia are blocked at your job, you should probably do work instead of talking about video games on a forum.
    Alternatively, how are those two blocked and not here.

It's not blocked, there is just something jacked up about my security certificates where i can't go to some web sites but others it has to problem. Our work group monitor isn't very good at their job...

heckels on
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like Halo 3s campaign more than I like Reach's campaign. But I like Reach's multiplayer more than I liked Halo 3s.

I miss spike grenades. More ways to stick people is a plus in my book.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Willeth wrote: »

Hi5.

(pour one out for Yorker :( )

Have to say Halo was probably my favourite campaign. Partly due to the aforementioned freshness. But it also did some things really nicely. Expansive levels, and the introduction of the flood/the other twist were incredible. Reach and ODST were on about the same level. Reach had a greater level of cinematic overall, and had the balls in who they killed off. Whereas ODST had better peak moments, and the exploration of the city.

Was actually discussing this with Darley/Face last night. Reach really missed the quiet moments that were promised. I really would have loved segments where it was just you and civilians/the wildlife.

Leitner on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My comment about enjoying 3 more than Reach applied specifically to the multiplayer. As for the campaign, I agree with a lot of you; ODST is my favorite.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

;-) Indeed sir, Indeed Although I do need to jump on more for map testing...

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like Halo 3s campaign more than I like Reach's campaign. But I like Reach's multiplayer more than I liked Halo 3s.

I miss spike grenades. More ways to stick people is a plus in my book.

I miss stalker brutes and their flame grenades, since I'm a sucker for fire and flamethrowers in games. The flamethrower in Halo PC is my favorite weapon in all of Halo.

As much as I didn't like the actual gameplay, Halo 2's campaign was full of amazing places and setpieces (and music). Spacewalking around Cairo Station? Skirmishes in the alleyways and rooftops of Old Mombasa? Boarding the scarab? Fighting heretics, flood, and sentinels in an ancient forerunner research facility in the atmosphere of a gas giant? The beautiful ruins of Delta Halo? The Sentinel Wall? The Quarantine Zone? Fighting off wave after wave of flood on the gondola, trying to catch of with the enemy humans? Running around High Charity before and after the flood infestation? The more epic scope of the plot? Great stuff there.

I really couldn't get into Reach's story. From the mild surprise of discovering the Covenant invasion of a farm on Reach, to Forge's otherwise dramatic death cribbed straight from Halo Wars, later absurd and arbitrary deaths, and overall lack of direction in the plot, I really didn't feel much attachment to the characters or the planet. Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach all did a rather poor job of showcasing the dramatic fall of a planet. Reach's fall would've had much more impact if we saw the planet glassed from orbit like in that upcoming DLC map. That's what the invasion and utter destruction of a planet by an overwhelming alien force should look like!

Arteen on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, since I read Reach years ago, I kind of knew where everything was going already.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of "The Fall of Reach" does the new edition released last year add all that much that its worth a re-read?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of "The Fall of Reach" does the new edition released last year add all that much that its worth a re-read?

A couple of pages. It's relevant, but not essential.

Willeth on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

Hi5.

(pour one out for Yorker :( )

Have to say Halo was probably my favourite campaign. Partly due to the aforementioned freshness. But it also did some things really nicely. Expansive levels, and the introduction of the flood/the other twist were incredible. Reach and ODST were on about the same level. Reach had a greater level of cinematic overall, and had the balls in who they killed off. Whereas ODST had better peak moments, and the exploration of the city.

Was actually discussing this with Darley/Face last night. Reach really missed the quiet moments that were promised. I really would have loved segments where it was just you and civilians/the wildlife.

Yeah, I was really hoping for some Spartan vs Resistance stuff, or at least more interaction with civillians than "what is this languageCOVENANT ATTACK!"

I like the Reach campaign, but there was never a point where things really stood out, to me. I don't know what it is, but CE, 2, 3 and ODST all had moments that stick in my memory, whereas Reach somehow never grabbed me in the same way. The multi is my favourite though, as I've easily spent more time on it than all the other Halo games combined.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

Yeah, I was really hoping for some Spartan vs Resistance stuff, or at least more interaction with civillians than "what is this languageCOVENANT ATTACK!"

I like the Reach campaign, but there was never a point where things really stood out, to me. I don't know what it is, but CE, 2, 3 and ODST all had moments that stick in my memory, whereas Reach somehow never grabbed me in the same way. The multi is my favourite though, as I've easily spent more time on it than all the other Halo games combined.

Keeping this short because I-phone lol, but this is certainly an area I hope 343 is going to make some brave choices in that Bungie wouldn't. The insurgent example is great because it could lead to some very different but enthralling gameplay. It would be all patrolling cities filled with civilians knowing any one could be a potential enemy, and you have overwhelming force but that doesn't mean jack against the targets you're fighting. Hitting bomb factories but having to contend with the ambiguity that you're not clearly the good guys. Which would contrast wonderfully with latter blowing away zealot aliens who are clear targets and significantly more powerful then you.

Yet Bungie, even when they let you play as the covies wouldn't let you attack humans, let alone court the controversy a clear the troubles analog with the aesthetics of current conflicts would bring.

Secondly they have the whole 'two minutes of fun' concept they're attached to, which hamstrings any real character development. There were so many places in Reach which could be extended and allow for characterisation, and building of tension that they didn't make use of, because to create more then 'fun' requires more then two minute chunks.

Though I suppose the Bungie formulae makes cash hand over fist, so it's unlikely 343 are going to rock the boat. Still.

Leitner on
    edited March 2011
    I'd be playing this more if my 360 didn't throw a fit every time I tried to play Reach. It's the only game I own that it does this for as well.

Mechanical on
    edited March 2011
    What happened to Yorker, anyway?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2011
    He got drafted, came back afterward, and then just disappeared. If you're lurking, dude, say hi!

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    Keep seeing him tucked away on the end of my friends list and realise he's not been on in forever.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2011
    BWU will go up tonight, be on the lookout for codes in it, since there usually are right before a DLC release
    For those of you wondering, no, I don't have one and didn't get one. The only Community Cartographers with the maps got lucky in the GAF PM giveaway.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'm paying close attention.

There were a ton of codes that got put out on Waypoint this time. I'm wondering if Bungie will even have any.

Willeth on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm gonna be playing tonight, I'll try to round up Karf. I've never played with any TBK'ers besides him, but anywho.

I know none of you are actually getting laid or something, so we should play.

NeuralFizz on
    edited March 2011
    Willeth on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looks like fun.

joshgotro on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He's probably already banned.

hailthefish on
    edited March 2011
    They get banned pretty quickly. I think microsoft has a team that hunts the latest firmware updates and/or slightly modifies it each time to keep them guessing. I hope more cheaters get banned. Always makes my day.

Also, Don't misunderstand me. The current set of bees are awesome ( I <3 batigh in the bro'st of ways)

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2011
    http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=30933

Certain Affinity has been working on Defiant since before Reach was done.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    Anyone else getting online for some customs tonight?

Viscountalpha on
  • TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BritishDavid, Yorker, Pancake, SomethingOffensive, Minty, Tridus, Tej, Willis, Bunzl, Leitner, Family Rash, QQ, S314der, T4CT, I miss playing with you all.

You probably dont miss me, but that makes the tears oh-so bitter sweet.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Anyone else getting online for some customs tonight?

I can try, I suppose. No guarantees I won't get thrown right out of the lobbies though.

Mechanical on
    edited March 2011
    ya, no one showed up. :(

ahh well, there will be tomorrow.
    or will there?

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2011
    Who in here remade Coagulation? Google searching for it is failing me. I lost it at some point.

FyreWulff on
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish fire grenades had made it into standard multiplayer in Halo 3. I tooled around with them in forge a good deal, and they had the wonderful ability to kill vehicle drivers while barely hurting the vehicle at ALL. An unwounded ghost can eat a grenade or two before exploding, but hit it with a fire grenade and the driver would die giving you the ghost.

Not that I spend much time in ghosts. I rarely did in H3, but in Reach ghosts are a big no no for me. They should throw out some big team maps that are more vehicle friendly. Ironically spire is a pretty nice warthog map... if you're careful.

Daris on
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tikhon wrote: »
    BritishDavid, Yorker, Pancake, SomethingOffensive, Minty, Tridus, Tej, Willis, Bunzl, Leitner, Family Rash, QQ, S314der, T4CT, I miss playing with you all.

You probably dont miss me, but that makes the tears oh-so bitter sweet.

Yea def had some good times on halo. Wish these RPG's didnt suck my gaming time up so much.

Tridus1x on