As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earthquake off Japanese shore, Tsunami hits the Mainland

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Earthquakes go up to ten on the scale, correct?

Has there ever been a ten recorded?
    There is no upper limit to the Richter scale. The biggest earthquake ever recorded was a 9.5.

exactly
    it's a logarithmic scale and people commonly assume it "tops out" at 10 just because the strongest quakes got near, but not over 10
    but it's simply a representation of the seismic energy released, so of course it doesn't have a hard upper limit
    that's like saying the decibel scale only goes up to 100

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    turn it up to 11

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    and obvs the richter scale goes below zero because sometimes the earth is more stiller

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    and obvs the richter scale goes below zero because sometimes the earth is more stiller

sometimes the earth takes a big hit and has to sit back a little

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited March 2011

sometimes the earth takes a big hit and has to sit back a little

there was an earthchill registering -6.2 on the richter scale today. The planet passed its turn in the rotation, saying, "I have to meet my mom for dinner in like forty-five"

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    one time me and my bros were at honolulu and we dropped like, a ton of weed into mt. kilauaeu and a caused -8.3 richter earth chill

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Earthquakes go up to ten on the scale, correct?

Has there ever been a ten recorded?

They don't cap out at anything in the modern moment magnitude scale, but the power of the seismic event changes by a factor of 10^1.5 (which is about 32) for every 1 unit on the scale, or changes by a factor of 1000 for every 2 units on the scale. This scale is calibrated to give similar values to the older Richter scale for medium earthquakes in the range of 3.0-7.0.

This quake was approximately a 8.9 on the moment magnitude scale.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    logarithmic scales, how do they work

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think the 10 and above region would only ever occur if something like a very large object from space collided with Earth. That's continent-splitting shit, up there.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want to say that I remember hearing Yellowstone erupting would be easily 10+ on the scale, so yeah that's a world fucking earthquake level there.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Veretas wrote: »
    Where the fuck is pip because this is the perfect opportunity to make a LadyScarlet joke

bitch ain't on a magnitude scale cause she just a supermassive black hole.

Infinitely dense.

Sucks in all matter.

Etc.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »
    found muse on the openbook thing for pearl harbor!

There need to be voices of reason man.
    So this quake shifted the earth's axis 10 feet and moved Japan's east coast by 2.4 meters.

Hence my asking if the water had begun to recede yet.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Where the fuck is pip because this is the perfect opportunity to make a LadyScarlet joke

Infinitely dense.

Sucks in all matter.

Etc.

Kiss me

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Infinitely dense.

Sucks in all matter.

Etc.

Kiss me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmzii2u5GME

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    some lucky dude in sendai must have been getting his fuck on right when it happened and now he gets to be all
    sorry everybody 8-)

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't worry Air I know it was you. Unless you're back, I don't even know when and wher you went and all this stuff.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yes it was sorry japan 8-)
    but dont worry karma got me good
    about 3 minutes after making that post i managed to stab myself in the hand
    probably woulda been deeper too but im pretty sure my bones got in the way

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've totally missed an earthquake because I was having sex.

After, Jen was all "did.. did you think the bed was shaking, like more than usual earlier?"

and I was like "No."

And then later, we were hanging with friends, and they asked "did you feel that earthquake this morning?"

and I was

<.<

>.>

:whistle:

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    I've totally missed an earthquake because I was having sex.

After, Jen was all "did.. did you think the bed was shaking, like more than usual earlier?"

and I was like "No."

And then later, we were hanging with friends, and they asked "did you feel that earthquake this morning?"

and I was

<.<

>.>

:whistle:

baby, I'll shake your world

skettios on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My phone is caught in the worst loop ever

It's battery is so low that it dies

but I plug it in and it turns back on

but shortly thereafter, it dies again

then it turns back on

ad infinitum

and no, I can't just shut it off, it automatically turns on when plugged in.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heard a report on the news tonight driving home that it's likely a power plant 300km north of Tokyo has melted down

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That would be highly inaccurate from what I've heard/read.

ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    they're saying radiation levels inside the core were 1000 times above acceptable levels

where's the line

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    know that it sounds really bad over there, but I'm telling you, it's merely bad at this point.

Just some things I'd like to clarify:

* The reactors are shutdown, but still produce heat for some time afterwards (this is called decay heat). This decay heat itself goes away approximately exponentially, so the real stressful part of this evolution is already happening. Three Mile Island had already suffered its meltdown by this point as a point of reference.
    * To keep the cores from melting (which would be bad for the operators, but not a disaster beyond that), they must be kept covered with water. That's actually pretty much it, although obviously there's more to it than throwing a garden hose in there. They will already have the water on-site or close by, they just need to be able to pump it in (this is the part they need power for).
    * There's been tons of headlines about ONE THOUSAND TIMES NORMAL radiation levels, but that's inside of the Fukushima plant. By inside I mean in the control room, so it still sucks containment which is almost expected, but radiation levels outside the plant are a much more manageable eight times normal. (EDIT: See Hiddencamper's comment about translation issues)
    * Speaking of radiation, there are far more sources of it than you probably realize. Things as simple as taking a long flight, inhaling cigarette smoke, eating a banana, and even living in brick houses in some areas can significantly contribute to radiation exposure for individuals. Although prudence dictates keeping away from all known sources of radiation, it seems that even continuous exposure to very low levels is not dangerous.

I am a nuclear-trained submarine officer so although I work on "pressurized water reactors" instead of the Fukushima's "boiling water reactor" feel free to ask questions and get some accurate feedback. Other nuclear-trained types, feel free to join in too!

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/g2dc7/reddit_please_be_accurate_when_posting_about_the/

Sounds to me that the reaction was stopped and what they are experiencing is totally unrelated to a scenario that would cause a runaway reaction (meltdown).

Its not an engine over-revving, but an engine that was shut off but is still very hot.

ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    a long flight, inhaling cigarette smoke, eating a banana, and even living in brick houses

I've done all these things, oh no

no wonder I have a baby's hand growing out of the side of my penis

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay I was wrong there is a scenario where it could melt down, but a couple of things would have to happen first. I'd still say the chances are nil.

ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    a long flight, inhaling cigarette smoke, eating a banana, and even living in brick houses

I've done all these things, oh no

no wonder I have a baby's hand growing out of the side of my penis

No, thats because you went into space and you're in a terrible 1990's movie called Leprechaun 4.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://twitter.com/REUTERSFLASH
    # Explosion heard at TEPCO's Fukushima Daiichi plant around 0630 GMT - media 10 minutes ago via web

# Several people appear to have been injured after reported Fukushima plant explosion - media 5 minutes ago via web

# Several people appear to be injured at Fukushima nuclear plant - NHK less than 10 seconds ago via web

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh Snap!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh nooo :(

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright, so the next scheduled disaster is an insect the size of the Chrysler building then.

I mean, we're entering "Oh Gosh: A Series of Disasters" territory here.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Alright, so the next scheduled disaster is an insect the size of the Chrysler building then.

I mean, we're entering "Oh Gosh: A Series of Disasters" territory here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT2WiL77XVo&feature=related

Zonugal on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Reuters: An explosion blew the roof off an unstable reactor north of Tokyo on Saturday, Japanese media said, raising fears of a disastrous meltdown at a nuclear plant damaged in the massive earthquake that hit Japan.

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    holy shit

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welp. Nobody's going home.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    japan can't catch a break

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm sure if they all just hide away in refrigerators they'll be fine.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/03/20113124353222667.html
    However, Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of Tokyo, said a major radioactive disaster was unlikely.

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the
    reaction," he said.

"Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius."

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

Doc on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Regarding enormous disasters, I just watched The Road and I know it's supposed to be unexplained but I'd say that the world looked pretty much like an extinction level asteroid strike.

Weaver on
This discussion has been closed.