As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earthquake off Japanese shore, Tsunami hits the Mainland

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He probably means there won't be a nuclear explosion, which is true.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So are there any updates about the reactor?

I mean I know I shouldn't explode due to their design. But has an official from japan come out and said, nah it's guys after the top has blown?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    and obvs the richter scale goes below zero because sometimes the earth is more stiller

actually it does, the zero of the richter scale is about 63kJ which is 15g of TNT. Any event less than that would be negative on the richter scale

L|ama on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    L|ama wrote: »

Could be, but the Chernobyl disaster was exactly what this looks a lot like: initially a coolant steam explosion. Chernobyl then was made way worse by a fire that broke out when the graphite moderatos ignited, which I think is not a thing that can happen any more. I think.

Doc on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Doc wrote: »

Could be, but the Chernobyl disaster was exactly what this looks a lot like: initially a coolant steam explosion. Chernobyl then was made way worse by a fire that broke out when the graphite moderatos ignited, which I think is not a thing that can happen any more. I think.

Wasn't Chernobyl the product of every possibly bad thing happening though? I feel like the Japanese may be able to prevent such an incident.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »

Wasn't Chernobyl the product of every possibly bad thing happening though? I feel like the Japanese may be able to prevent such an incident.

most major nuclear disasters have been the work of a lot of small problems compounding into a Big Deal.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

most major nuclear disasters have been the work of a lot of small problems compounding into a Big Deal.

...which is true for pretty much every big man-made disaster

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

But if I am remembering my high school civics course correctly the issue with Chernobyl was that everything was done wrong. It was built improperly, it was staffed incorrectly and the crisis was handled extremely poorly.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My friend's girlfriend is safe and sound.

Thank goodness.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah, and all those bad things led up to and caused the explosion.

So if that's what we saw here, I'd say that there's pretty good empirical evidence that they can't prevent such an incident.

But like I said, it was made way worse by the radioactive fire that ensued. That may have been averted here.

Doc on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    and obvs the richter scale goes below zero because sometimes the earth is more stiller

actually it does, the zero of the richter scale is about 63kJ which is 15g of TNT. Any event less than that would be negative on the richter scale

If you want to really be technical, it's not the richter scale anyway. The richter scale was developed just for the tectonic activity in California, and it hasn't been used for quite a while.

What news reports constantly call 'the richter scale' is actually the moment magnitude scale.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wasn't Chernobyl also running pretty much at 100% when things went wrong though? This reactor was either shut down or running at diminished capacity(I can't remember which). I'm assuming that has some effect on exactly how bad it'll be.

Borommakot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey Doc, so rarely do our paths cross for me to get a chance to ask such questions towards you.

I hear you & I may have attended the same university?

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey Doc, so rarely do our paths cross for me to get a chance to ask such questions towards you.

That's the case, yes. What's up?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

That is pretty much all I have... How did you enjoy it?

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

chernobyl was really badly designed so that a big fuckup caused a cascading effect and runaway reaction

modern light water reactors are designed so that if cooling cuts out, the reaction slows down

it's practically impossible for them to go critical

450px-Schema_reacteur_eau_bouillante.svg.png

in order for a neutron released by normal radioactivity to cause a secondary reaction, it must be slowed down by the water inside (1) there. I guess if shit got out of control, firstly the water would heat up and you would get steam bubbles which would cause there to be less water between the fuel rods and the reaction would slow down. If shit got really out of control and the reactor vessel ruptured and vented the water, there would be some radioactive leaking (and a big explosion) but the nuclear reaction would slow down.

here's a whole wiki article on boiling water reactor safety systems, which is what these reactors are.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I liked it. I was glad to spend exactly four years in Ellensburg. The CS and Math programs leave something to be desired.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

chernobyl was really badly designed so that a big fuckup caused a cascading effect and runaway reaction

modern light water reactors are designed so that if cooling cuts out, the reaction slows down

it's practically impossible for them to go critical

450px-Schema_reacteur_eau_bouillante.svg.png

in order for a neutron released by normal radioactivity to cause a secondary reaction, it must be slowed down by the water inside (1) there. I guess if shit got out of control, firstly the water would heat up and you would get steam bubbles which would cause there to be less water between the fuel rods and the reaction would slow down. If shit got really out of control and the reactor vessel ruptured and vented the water, there would be some radioactive leaking (and a big explosion) but the nuclear reaction would slow down.

here's a whole wiki article on boiling water reactor safety systems, which is what these reactors are.

Ah, so the moderator here is water instead of graphite, which means that it won't catch on fire.

It seems like the spread of radioactive material over a large area by the fire that ensued was worse than the actual meltdown at Chernobyl, right? Except for those poor firefighters who were directly exposed, I guess.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I liked it. I was glad to spend exactly four years in Ellensburg. The CS and Math programs leave something to be desired.

I'm nearing my fourth year & getting ready to graduate. This past week I saw two freshmen shotgunning TreeTop apple juice cans outside of Al-Monty Hall.

I need to get out of here.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    Regarding enormous disasters, I just watched The Road and I know it's supposed to be unexplained but I'd say that the world looked pretty much like an extinction level asteroid strike.

I like the book better. The faint religious undertones were left out of the movie imo.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i always get a little anxious when i read "it's practically impossible for A to X" in the light of impending disasters

i blame titanic.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bwanie wrote: »
    i always get a little anxious when i read "it's practically impossible for A to X" in the light of impending disasters

i blame titanic.

I prefer "it's impractically possible for A to X".

Foolproof on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wiet wrote: »
    My friend's girlfriend is safe and sound.

Thank goodness.

glad to hear it

Solar on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Today show has an MIT nuclear expert on and he's doing nothing but spreading calm and facts about the reactor and shooting down the constant use of meltdown by the host.

Refreshing.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    On the 70th day of 2011, an 8.9 earthquake hit Japan. The Bible has 1189 chapters and 66 books; this earthquake happened 1189 days after the 66th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

I gotta stop looking at OpenBook

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On the 70th day of 2011, an 8.9 earthquake hit Japan. The Bible has 1189 chapters and 66 books; this earthquake happened 1189 days after the 66th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

How the hell do people always figure these things out so fast?

Do they just have a chart with numbers and just try to match up every disaster to them or what?

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Today show has an MIT nuclear expert on and he's doing nothing but spreading calm and facts about the reactor and shooting down the constant use of meltdown by the host.

Refreshing.

german news are kind of infuriating in that regard
    they have greenpeace "experts" talking about how "it doesn't matter whether it's a meltdown or not, all reactors are bad mmkay", then saying stuff like "this is exactly the right time to talk about shutting down german reactors", physics professors saying "the meltdown has happened, there is only the question of how bad it will be"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Refreshing.

The president of the American Federation of Sciences or something was on the BBC news last night, and it was so irritating the way the newsreader was questioning him, obviously trying to find a way to get him to say things were going to shit. He even straight up asked "Should people be frightened?". Like expert advice is ever going to be "Get scared!"

They kept flashing up a headline on the screen that said "Radiation levels around the reactor 1000 times higher than normal" which annoyed me as well. What does that even mean? It just seems like scaremongering, like most people are going to automatically think that's really bad, when in actual fact normal radiation levels around a modern reactor are probably so low that 1000 times higher might just be equivalent to being on a plane or something.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

holy crap, that math actually works out

I fully expected it to be horseshit

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Refreshing.

they have greenpeace "experts" talking about how "it doesn't matter whether it's a meltdown or not, all reactors are bad mmkay", then saying stuff like "this is exactly the right time to talk about shutting down german reactors", physics professors saying "the meltdown has happened, there is only the question of how bad it will be"

Greenpeace is always a riot, especially if you ask them what we should be using for power.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Refreshing.

Greenpeace is always a riot, especially if you ask them what we should be using for power.

wh--

what do they think we should be using for power

positive thinking?

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

holy crap, that math actually works out

I fully expected it to be horseshit

No, it's still complete horseshit (and if Wolfram is right, it was actually 1190 days)

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guess what one of my friends just posted as her status update?
    So looking at another person's status, it said that the US lost a lot of lives on 9.11.01 and Japan lost a lot more on 3.10.11 and when you add them up...you get 12.21.12. Weird as hell isn't it? o.O

I need new friends

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wait hang on 12.21.12 aint just some arbitrary numbers

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Guess what one of my friends just posted as her status update?
    So looking at another person's status, it said that the US lost a lot of lives on 9.11.01 and Japan lost a lot more on 3.10.11 and when you add them up...you get 12.21.12. Weird as hell isn't it? o.O

I need new friends

tell them to kill themselves before the world ends, to prevent the suffering
    your suffering

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If any fucking groups of birds or fish die today we are never going to hear the end of it

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mr. G wrote: »
    If any fucking groups of birds or fish die today we are never going to hear the end of it

Happened a couple days ago.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/mysterious-mass-fish-deaths-110310.html

Then there's this.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ivkI3fu0Mklxx4Y5fn0BiAsPWOUA?docId=db3464c35bd040ea9a460d58dced76c9

ALeqM5jHgOuP-rGUNOoRP98AnJWiQvVDRA?docId=dcaf2e7baf714d949dec4eb5148b1572&size=l
    ALeqM5h-qBIBlp2EsAy_ArUKwKa2MSxLeA?docId=3af4990681f54ff1b880ed72e874e408&size=l

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    you know, you could provide a link for those pics so we could understand the context

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Do they just have a chart with numbers and just try to match up every disaster to them or what?

and lo it was prophecied in the excell spreadsheet of doom in book 3 column d row 4821

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

It helps to realize the numbers are meaningless. Basically they just find creative ways to add up/subtract/multiply/divide various data points until they find numbers that "match up" to some other set of numbers that are supposed to represent something else. It's actually more of an art form than anything else, because you're not finding any actual correlation but just playing with the numbers until you find some that appear to show correlation.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.