As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Otogi wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Curious about that last scene.

Start of Day eight, HUGE FRICKING SPOILERS
    Did that stabbing occur regardless of alignment? I was on the angel path, and... ouuch.
    Wait, wasn't that in the trailer?

The trailer shows things but to no extent do you have any idea just how crazy it really is. Without context, unlike the Nier trailers, these trailers mean nothing. You will see.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welp

Since I'm guessing Ico/SOTC isn't actually coming in April as initially hoped (because I'm damn sure we would have heard something about it by now), I went ahead and canceled the pre-order and put down on this so GameStop would be sure to get enough copies in.

Went with the 360 version...I know it's technically a little bit inferior but I saw comparisons and they wouldn't bother me at all, and I prefer the box art/Achievements.

UnbreakableVow on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's really close.

And I'll try to finish it tonight. Apparently what I thought was done wasn't. Not by a mile.

By the way. Gametrailers uploaded an import preview today.

DO NOT VIEW IT. SPOILERS. SOOO many spoilers. Major stuff. Horrible choice on their part.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's really close.

And I'll try to finish it tonight. Apparently what I thought was done wasn't. Not by a mile.

By the way. Gametrailers uploaded an import preview today.

DO NOT VIEW IT. SPOILERS. SOOO many spoilers. Major stuff. Horrible choice on their part.

Thankyou kindly for the heads-up. :^:

RisenPhoenix on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Laura Bailey on Facebook:
    I've had a strange affinity for sheep lately...

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Laura Bailey on Facebook:
    I've had a strange affinity for sheep lately...

Really not surprised. She fits the role perfectly.

Edit: She could totally play both. Normal voice for Catherine and her Lust voice for Katherine :O

Mattakuevan on
    edited March 2011
    Looks like she's playing Catherine. She went from thinly veiled to just outright saying it:
    My name is Catherine... and I just may be the girl of your dreams...

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Called it. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm assuming that the fact that the actors are talking about their roles means they're gonna be credited, which is very very awesome. I've worked with Troy and Laura both, and they deserve all the credit they can get and then some

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    god dammit i was gonna buy this off the shelf at bic camera too man. oh well i can afford to wait, given my current total lack of cash

Mortal Sky on
    edited March 2011
    Well, you can always help me fumble through the import instead. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Just cleared 9-3 and 9-4 in one go.

Feels good sheep.

Also, I declined the patch upgrade.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    And... final boss cleared.

Good lord, what a rush. I haven't been through a finale that intense since finishing Ninja Gaiden on the NES.

It wouldn't have been nearly as fun had I played on Easy, that's for sure. Pure rewarding difficulty.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    End credits all in English. Well, that saves someone some time. :P

Ending thoughts:
    Not sure which Katherine ending I got, but I'm happy with it.

I loved the ending images of Vincent shopping for her. Yeah, she's controlling, but she's nice at heart.

I think it's a good match.

And, uh, Master was a little predictable. :P Come on, he's voiced by Norio Wakamoto. Dead giveaway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Good stuff eh? Going to pick it up again in English or no? I mean I'm going to but I'm crazy.

mastrius on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Ending thoughts:

I loved the ending images of Vincent shopping for her. Yeah, she's controlling, but she's nice at heart.

And, uh, Master was a little predictable. :P Come on, he's voiced by Norio Wakamoto. Dead giveaway.

You really think that?
    Real spoilers.
    She lied to you about being pregnant.
    How the fuck is that nice at heart?

CygnusZ on
    edited March 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Ending thoughts:

You really think that?
    Real spoilers.
    Like I understood any of the dialogue. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Ending thoughts:

You really think that?
    Real spoilers.
    Like I understood any of the dialogue. :P

Yeah see and that's the thing. It's just crazy.

mastrius on
    edited March 2011
    I think one of you need to confirm what I heard said about a certain character.

Major spoilers.
    It's never confirmed or denied. But what is confirmed in the True Lovers ending is that Erica is actually a transsexual named Eric, whom went to high school with Vincent. Toby begs for his "youth" back from her. XD

WHAT THE EFF

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    catherine.jpg

Wow, really? I need to meet some of these rich folk.

Any word on retailer specific pre-order bonuses?

Edit, doesn't make much sense cropped now that I look at it, I was browsing the PS3 version and it suggested I pick up the 360 version too.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I really truly love a game, enough to go through it more than twice, typically I'll buy it on the other console as well to get the extra Achievements/Trophies from it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Major spoilers.
    It's never confirmed or denied. But what is confirmed in the True Lovers ending is that Erica is actually a transsexual named Eric, whom went to high school with Vincent. Toby begs for his "youth" back from her. XD

WHAT THE EFF
    I am echoing this statement so hard.

The Anonymous on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Major spoilers.

WHAT THE EFF

Must... not... click... spoilers..!

But I'm thrilled to hear that it's possible for a human being to beat the game without using the easy mode patch.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited March 2011

Major spoilers.

WHAT THE EFF

o.O What in the hell.

mastrius on
    edited March 2011
    Chance wrote: »

Major spoilers.

WHAT THE EFF

Must... not... click... spoilers..!

But I'm thrilled to hear that it's possible for a human being to beat the game without using the easy mode patch.

3 of us so far. It is doable. They just don't like hard games. I mean. It's like with DMC 3. Their Normal was our easy. And our Normal was their hard.

mastrius on
    edited March 2011
    Funny, I thought Japan liked a challenge. (And judging from the time attack videos posted at nico nico, some of them do.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Major spoilers.

WHAT THE EFF
    Confirm.
    It's just two lines and goes by quick.

CygnusZ on
    edited March 2011
    And try as I might, I can not unsee it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    So, to bring this thread from the week hiatus.

Katherine's English Voice Actress will be Michelle Ruff. Very awesome.

mastrius on
    edited March 2011
    Source?

Not who I expected at all, but... interesting.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    do the japanese catherine and katherine sound that different?

michelle ruff and laura bailey sound pretty dang different to me

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited March 2011
    Drastically.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Source?

Not who I expected at all, but... interesting.

Source is her actually. It was on this podcast that's going for 24 hours to donate for Japan.

I wish I could show you but it isn't recorded. They're having a ton of voice actors/actresses for guests and she was on and while saying who she does she said she's also going to be in the new Catherine game as Katherine with a K.

She also said she was given the ok to talk about that stuff so....hm. Surprised we haven't heard much yet.

Maybe they're recording and will post it in chunks later in time. J Michael Tatum is on right now but I'm sleeping after this one. I'm going to be at work during Steve Blum. So sad.

mastrius on
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh well, I was really hoping Laura would do both voices XD

Mattakuevan on
    edited March 2011
    Michelle Ruff was who I was guessing for Katherine. Works for me.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Funny, I thought Japan liked a challenge. (And judging from the time attack videos posted at nico nico, some of them do.)

Besides Fire Emblem and a few other examples most of the time the difficulty is increased when it is changed at all between a US and Japanese release.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited March 2011
    So either out of sheer curiosity or stupidity I tried Hard mode tonight and wow. Shit is hard. Like. Really hard. The second level is balls hard. I don't even know how this will be beatable. Least I'll know what to expect when I do the English version though.

Oh but I got to the first boss..

mastrius on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Atlus USA are replicating the marketing they used in Japan to promote the game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQyQOyTWIHY

Atlus Faithful received an e-mail earlier today with the following instructions:

sdzVo.jpg

So, so hyped.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    do the japanese catherine and katherine sound that different?

michelle ruff and laura bailey sound pretty dang different to me

Katherine has a bit more of a thicker heavier voice; typical mature woman. Catherine's voice is higher pitched and has a lot more energy to it, making her sound like she's in her younger twenties, even though she's a bit older than that.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm all for games from Japan getting a release in the West, but this one seems like a stretch. The demo consisted of some awkward moments on a date, and then some gameplay that could best be described as Elevator Action without the elevators and without the action.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht