As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earthquake off Japanese shore, Tsunami hits the Mainland

• Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    On the 70th day of 2011, an 8.9 earthquake hit Japan. The Bible has 1189 chapters and 66 books; this earthquake happened 1189 days after the 66th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

I gotta stop looking at OpenBook

How the hell do people always figure these things out so fast?

Do they just have a chart with numbers and just try to match up every disaster to them or what?

It helps to realize the numbers are meaningless. Basically they just find creative ways to add up/subtract/multiply/divide various data points until they find numbers that "match up" to some other set of numbers that are supposed to represent something else. It's actually more of an art form than anything else, because you're not finding any actual correlation but just playing with the numbers until you find some that appear to show correlation.
    Whenever there's any sort of natural disaster we need IBM to fire up their Jeopardy computer so it can make thousands of these numerical correlations.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zoel wrote: »
    On the 70th day of 2011, an 8.9 earthquake hit Japan. The Bible has 1189 chapters and 66 books; this earthquake happened 1189 days after the 66th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

I gotta stop looking at OpenBook

How the hell do people always figure these things out so fast?

Do they just have a chart with numbers and just try to match up every disaster to them or what?

and lo it was prophecied in the excell spreadsheet of doom in book 3 column d row 4821

20090409.png

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    If any fucking groups of birds or fish die today we are never going to hear the end of it

Happened a couple days ago.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/mysterious-mass-fish-deaths-110310.html

Then there's this.
    ALeqM5jHgOuP-rGUNOoRP98AnJWiQvVDRA?docId=dcaf2e7baf714d949dec4eb5148b1572&size=l
    ALeqM5h-qBIBlp2EsAy_ArUKwKa2MSxLeA?docId=3af4990681f54ff1b880ed72e874e408&size=l

At first, I didn't notice those were two separate photos and so I thought "Oh no! That boat is going right into that giant tidalwave of fish!"

Peccavi on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Today show has an MIT nuclear expert on and he's doing nothing but spreading calm and facts about the reactor and shooting down the constant use of meltdown by the host.

Refreshing.

german news are kind of infuriating in that regard
    they have greenpeace "experts" talking about how "it doesn't matter whether it's a meltdown or not, all reactors are bad mmkay", then saying stuff like "this is exactly the right time to talk about shutting down german reactors", physics professors saying "the meltdown has happened, there is only the question of how bad it will be"

Greenpeace is always a riot, especially if you ask them what we should be using for power.

wh--

what do they think we should be using for power

positive thinking?

Seriously man, what do they believe we should use? I am eager to hear their solution for maintaining or replacing our way of life and not killing off a lot of people in the process.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you know, you could provide a link for those pics so we could understand the context

The context is your butt

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The real concern is, are there any small animals in close proximity to high levels of radiation, how large will they be growing, how many rows of tanks will be able to fend them off before the appropriate defences are activated

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    The real concern is, are there any small animals in close proximity to high levels of radiation, how large will they be growing, how many rows of tanks will be able to fend them off before the appropriate defences are activated

Wmguiron.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Today show has an MIT nuclear expert on and he's doing nothing but spreading calm and facts about the reactor and shooting down the constant use of meltdown by the host.

Refreshing.

german news are kind of infuriating in that regard
    they have greenpeace "experts" talking about how "it doesn't matter whether it's a meltdown or not, all reactors are bad mmkay", then saying stuff like "this is exactly the right time to talk about shutting down german reactors", physics professors saying "the meltdown has happened, there is only the question of how bad it will be"

Greenpeace is always a riot, especially if you ask them what we should be using for power.

wh--

what do they think we should be using for power

positive thinking?

Solar and wind power.

So yes, positive wishful thinking.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Wmguiron.jpg

Gamera1.jpg

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man, whoever has that earthquake weapon is really trigger happy, huh

Shabooty on
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    smof wrote: »
    They kept flashing up a headline on the screen that said "Radiation levels around the reactor 1000 times higher than normal" which annoyed me as well. What does that even mean? It just seems like scaremongering, like most people are going to automatically think that's really bad, when in actual fact normal radiation levels around a modern reactor are probably so low that 1000 times higher might just be equivalent to being on a plane or something.

Apparently it's equivalent to roughly 30 bananas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Wmguiron.jpg

Gamera1.jpg

godzillavsmothra4_big.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Wmguiron.jpg

Gamera1.jpg

Mecha-streisand.png

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Wmguiron.jpg

Gamera1.jpg

Mecha-streisand.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQaGP4DjyBg&feature=channel_video_title

Brolo on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They kept flashing up a headline on the screen that said "Radiation levels around the reactor 1000 times higher than normal" which annoyed me as well. What does that even mean? It just seems like scaremongering, like most people are going to automatically think that's really bad, when in actual fact normal radiation levels around a modern reactor are probably so low that 1000 times higher might just be equivalent to being on a plane or something.

30 bananas

may god have mercy on us all

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Also, bananas cause radiation exposure even when not ingested; for instance, standing next to a crate of bananas causes a measurable dose.

bananas are fucking awesome, i had no idea

redhead on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    in comparison, how many bananas was chernobyl?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that's a big banana
    220px-10.17.09ErnieHudsonByLuigiNovi.jpg

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wren wrote: »
    donkey-kong-country11.jpg

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    we talking regular bananas or golden bananas

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    what if you cover the bananas in ice cream and chocolate syrup?

or slice them up and put them with some milk and cereal?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The death toll in northeast Japan after a powerful earthquake and tsunami could rise dramatically, with news that about 9,500 people are unaccounted for in the town of Minamisanriku in Miyagi Prefecture.

The Kyodo news agency reported that number Saturday, citing local officials, and said it represents more than half of the community's population.

Let's hope that it's just the panic of post disaster, and that they're ok

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    How does peanut butter and bread affect the radioactivity of bananas?

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

wikipedia gives a thyroid dose of 1000 mSv for adults, or 100 rems

which is equivalent to 1.014 x 10^8 bananas

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »

wikipedia gives a thyroid dose of 1000 mSv for adults, or 100 rems

which is equivalent to 1.014 x 10^8 bananas

that is a lot of bananas. quite a bit more than 30 anyways.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's a lot of bananas

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love banana talk.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is that plant going to melt-down or did they get it under control? When I heard a 6.4 hit the area with the crippled power plant I felt ill.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I was bitten by a radioactive banana..

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I am now going to measure all radiation in bananas.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bananas.jpg

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    bananas.jpg

That's enough to deform 4 puppies.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bananas are an a+ fruit

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Is that plant going to melt-down or did they get it under control? When I heard a 6.4 hit the area with the crippled power plant I felt ill.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/explosion-heard-at-fukushima-nuclear-plant-4-injured-tepco

That's the best info I've seen that's not breathlessly proclaiming an imminent nuclear disaster but actually just stating what's actually known so far. There's too many people speculating about how bad this could be without actually having any meaningful information. There will always be people who try to fill an information void by speculating about how bad it really is as if they actually know what they're talking about. One of my friends on FB has posted several times about how terrible this is and I'm just like, "dude, stop overreacting. you're a smart guy, use your brain."

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If banannas have that kind of power then what about super-fruits like pomegranates and prunes? If someone were to harness them, they'd be unstoppable!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The acai berry, when detonated, can destroy an entire city block.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    KragunKragun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For those wanting to keep up to date about the nuclear situation, I suggest checking the following links:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/index-e.html

http://www.nei.org/newsandevents/information-on-the-japanese-earthquake-and-reactors-in-that-region

Kragun on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aw man, Japan might have another nuclear disaster?
    Too soon?

Really, though, hoping for the best for everyone. The friends that I have in Japan are all ok, just wish everyone had that kind of luck.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A nuclear disaster is when we run out of bananas.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The acai berry, when detonated, can destroy an entire city block.

We need to stop the smoothie industry! We need to warn them before it's too late!

TankHammer on
This discussion has been closed.