As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed the Tribes Vengence demo. I wish the maps were bigger but it did force you to go and mix it up which was always fun. But it took away the glory of being a sniper, hiding on the edge of the map, playing hide and seek w with the various people you pissed off.

Caveman Paws on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Actually, I want the Paintball mod to come back.

Edith Upwards on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vengeance wasn't a bad game if you didn't look at it like a TRIBES game.

On its own it had satisfying multiplayer and a wide variety of weapons, loadouts, etc.

It just wasn't TRIBES. Just because Halo Reach has jetpacks, it doesn't make it TRIBES, or like TRIBES.

The devs for Vengeance just totally missed the mark on what TRIBES was. A lot of the changes they made they tried to handwave away with the excuse that "it was a prequel", but what it really was, was a relatively simple muliplayer FPS with jetpacks and a few callbacks, mainly in visuals, to TRIBES.

Granted, had it released without the TRIBES name it would have been totally ignored. But since it was released with the TRIBES name it was held to a standard it had less than no chance to reach.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yyyeesssssssssss. Someone linked me the TRIBES 1 songs on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJA1TEXhPec

My favorite. <3

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    beautiful artwork from Tribes.
    Sword.jpeg

Caveman Paws on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Even if Vengeance was a bad game, I still think they took a far better approach to skiing than in the previous Tribes game. Namely, rather than an awkward "hopping makes you fall faster" thing, you just got straight-up frictionless boots when you held the space bar down.

And if you say "yeah but in Tribes 1 you had to actually hit the space bar!" I'll punch you. The fun and skill of skiing comes in analyzing the terrain to find a good route, and pressing spacebar the moment you hit the ground is simply an interface obfuscation. It's basically like saying Starcraft is better than Starcraft 2 because it required more skill because you couldn't select more than 12 units at a time.

re: that artwork: man, that fuckin' sword. Melee weapons were so stupid in Tribes.

Garthor on
    edited March 2011
    I don't remember any melee weapons in Tribes 1. I think Tribes 2 had some sort of knife/sword back attack thingy. I can't recall.

Caveman Paws on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tribes Vengeance had the best grappling gun I've ever used in a video game.

I never played Tribes Vengeance, but Just Cause 2 has a fucking amazing grappling hook.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skiing in TRIBES wasn't better because you hit the space bar to do it, as opposed to holding it down.

Skiing in TRIBES was better because you had considerably more control over both the speed of which you were skiing (and I'll readily admit that having it capless was a mistake, but the cap in TRIBES 2 was brutally slow), and your direction while you were skiing.

TRIBES 2, even when you reached top speeds you felt like you were skiing through mud, and you were flying through jelly. It didn't feel the same at all. Sure, it got better by the end, but it was quite simply too limiting compared to TRIBES and the game suffered for it. It shoved too much of the focus of combat into vehicles and defense (as I've already mentioned) and vastly changed the nature of the game.

Someone may enjoy it more, maybe even due to that.

But as a player that played TRIBES probably more than they slept, the change was not even remotely welcome at all.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't remember any melee weapons in Tribes 1. I think Tribes 2 had some sort of knife/sword back attack thingy. I can't recall.

Tribes 2 had the ELF? And the lancer, elf drained enegery close range, as melee as tribes gets really and the other thing was like a tazer but one shot from behind I think.

Also the whole reason I got into Tribes was because I played Starsiege, another amazing game with amazing music.

Fizban140 on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tribes 1 had the ELF to start. Portable energy nuker to kill that flag capper's run. So glorious watching him scoot through, then ZZZAAAP woops he just plummeted way too fast to earth. Other than that, there was absolutely no melee in Tribes 1, and I'm not sure if even Tribes 2 had Melee. All I remember is the blaster pistol that drained energy to use. I still think melee is possible as long as it's not a major focus. more of an "oh shit" moment when you run into someone very closely in a tight corridor.

This music reminds me of Dragon Ball Z for some reason, probably because I watched it almost religiously at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n50dex5ybqY

Dammit, someone else also link Tribes videos!

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This might be my favorite song from Tribes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsZrCDQ61bM&feature=player_embedded

Although tracks 1 and 2 are great too. And 7, which someone already linked.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Melee was pretty important in 2, one hit kill from the back and it took a ton of skill. Also no one ever got elfed ever in Tribes 1 because cappers were too fast.

Fizban140 on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone remember Instant Action's spiritual sequel, Fallen Empire? That handled skiing mechanics pretty well. It had holding space to activate being frictionless, but it also gave the option to boost downward, so you could accelerate on the downslope and really rocket around.

Really, it's going to be a matter of fine-tuning everything so that the movement feels just right. That's really what Tribes has been about more than anything, having the movement options available to the player lets the action on the battlefield flow a lot more than most other FPSs.

Dartboy on
    edited March 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Melee was pretty important in 2, one hit kill from the back and it took a ton of skill. Also no one ever got elfed ever in Tribes 1 because cappers were too fast.

Oh, there was that backpack that made you invisible (kinda) which was big with the back stabbers.

Caveman Paws on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [DRUNKEN REMINISCING] I can still hear the rain fall of raindance and the comforting whirring sound of the spinfusor in my head. [/DRUNKEN REMINISCING]

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, time to dust off the ol' mortar...

ColonCancer on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was thinking about this earlier and I wouldn't mind them using Legions style movement for this.

Also, I wonder if they'll try to force any sort of modern FPS mechanics into this, e.g regenerating health.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Back in my day, we refilled health and ammo by killing ourselves.

SvK on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Personally, I much prefer the pace in the second over the first one, especially the more enclosed bases, but I doubt this'll get close to the enjoyment I got out of T2.

Cynic Jester on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Am I the only one who only played Base on Tribes 1? So many of the mods were ridiculously stupid to me. Full of weapons that spewed copious amounts of projectiles solely because they could rather then striving to balance anything.

Go base or go home, IMO.

I hated all the mods pretty much. Especially Renegades and all that crap.

Bigity on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When the original Tribes was released back in 1998, I had a grand idea for how I would be able to play it with a distinct competitive edge.

This was way back in the day, remember. Mouse aiming was relatively new with Tribes, at least in my circle of friends. Everyone was used to keyboard exclusive play, so mouse aiming was a bit hard to get used to at first. But I had this idea, see - I bought one of those new fangled controllers I had seen at an electronics shop. It plugged into my sound card, and it had not one, but two analog joysticks! I could move with one, and aim with the other. I was so clever.

I was utterly destroyed. Completely. Totally. When I was trying to play Tribes with a dual analog gamepad, I couldn't even turn around in time to see my friends, who were filling my face with spinfusor disks. Eventually I just let go of the silly idea and picked up the mouse again, and finally started to get a little closer to playing the game right.

And then my friends got trackballs...

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All my Tribes playing was done with a Kensington Expert Mouse. /sigh, best 90 bucks I ever spent on a computer part.

My current one won't work right on Windows 7 :/

Bigity on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mods that added stupid crazy weapons (though I admit, a quadmount Chaingun was fucking awesome) were lame but the ones that added in all kinds of deployables, stations, turrets, walls, and shields were the best.

Don't mind me, I'm just building a death star out of force fields and walls!

Arrath on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah for the most part i loved shifter because it had so many deployables, and for the most part i agree with the people that boo mods like renegades, but I did play sword mod which had super crazy ridiculous weapons, but the armor was also crazy awesome and was more made for dueling

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    After fiddling endlessly, I finally found a way to make the original Tribes play nice with Windows 7. I finally got it up and running, and configured it for the still existing servers. There's even a widescreen fix! I took a short trip down memory lane through the tutorials to get a feel for the game again.

Then I tried logging in to the only two populated servers online. And was immediately kicked to observer repeatedly by admins.

Welp.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I signed up for tribes universe alpha testing on Hi-Rez's site, although I am wondering if everyone else who has done so has the same troubled past answer for my tribes experience, you know... letting it pretty much man-handle you for several years with 10+ hour gaming sessions daily.

at least i could put down being a former game tester for activision, that might help me get in :shock:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone remember playing on the "Xbox" mod server? It was a pretty simple "Race/Ski/Rollercoaster" mod that used skiing mechanics and some clever terrain/building placement to make race tracks complete with loops and jumps and awesome.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • TheRussianFunkTheRussianFunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will say that I liked Tribes 2 because I really enjoyed playing midfield. I'd hang out in the no-man's land between bases and try to intercept the other team coming in, that shocklance was the greatest of things. The amount of enemy heavies spewing brimstone into allchat after their LOOOOONG trek to my base was rendered moot by my lance was amazing. You could stay out there forever, just surviving off of dopes who forgot to use their health kit during the fight.

Please let this be good and not like Global Agenda.

TheRussianFunk on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    215499067_aceft-L-2.jpg

Please be a cure and not a placebo please be a cure and not a placebo!

Edith Upwards on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm probably so late to the party on this, but did anyone play Firefall at PAX East?

JamesKeenan on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I take it no actual info on this came out of PAX other than the trailer?

Edit: Oh hey, just found these over on the facebook page:

189286_188589974516683_174337252608622_446401_3620771_n.jpg

198356_188590144516666_174337252608622_446403_4668730_n.jpg

196342_189188017790212_174337252608622_450142_176700_n.jpg

199800_189188227790191_174337252608622_450145_1112782_n.jpg

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Diamond Sword armor looks classy.

SvK on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, they nailed the diamond sword.. blood eagle is looking at bit generic (severe lack of blood eagle emblem on the armor) but it's just concept art ;)

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm so fucking psyched for this game. I first picked up TRIBES at a friends house. I was staying the night there, and he let me play it on his PC when he was hitting the sack. He knew I was hooked when I was still playing when he woke up.

Unfortunately, didn't get my own computer until TRIBES 2 was released, but it was one of the first purchases I made, and I finally got into it when I got burnt out on Unreal Tournament. I played that shit to death. If I wasn't working or sleeping, I was playing TRIBES 2. I don't care if I get crucified for saying it, either, but I thought TRIBES 2 was the better game, and classic mod was the worst thing that happened to it.

I do hope that this manages to strike a balance between T1 and T2, though. I liked the agility the player had in T2 BASE, and the speed of T1 and Classic was fun, but sacrificed the agility. I feel like a good player should be able to traverse areas quickly in heavy armor, and skiing shouldn't have such a punishing cap, but light armor shouldn't feel like I'm trying to maneuver a bowling ball in the air at times.

Also, I hope they are able to make the mass of a heavy work well in the game. A light armor shouldn't be able to stop me in my tracks by body blocking me, I should bowl them over. If they can do this, that alone would be a major plus for a change in my book. The lights should think "OH FUCK" when they see a juggy barreling towards them.

edit:

Also, those images... The sword we saw the DS wielding in the video being part of their armor leads me to believe it's part of an animation or taunt specific to them. The animations in TRIBES have always been fun, and making them specific to faction would be wonderful.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, they nailed the diamond sword.. blood eagle is looking at bit generic (severe lack of blood eagle emblem on the armor) but it's just concept art ;)

Eagle on the chest piece and eagle on the backpack

how many more eagles can you honestly put on a thing

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited March 2011

Eagle on the chest piece and eagle on the backpack

how many more eagles can you honestly put on a thing

Didn't even seen them as they are red and blend in with all the red. It should be the original emblem and it should be BLACK (cause I said so).

LittleBoots on

edited March 2011
    Omgomgomg! Diamond sword light armor = sexy sniper armor

Yessssss

Just make the laser rifle kill lights and meds with a headshot and this game will be excellent.

Caveman Paws on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The fact that the Diamond Sword's armor actually has a, you know, diamond sword strapped on it is pretty damn cool.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know, I actually kinda hope they add in some PvE stuff. I mean, obviously, the major focus should be on PvP (or should I say, TRIBES)... but if they throw in some missions to be completed on occasion, it could be a decent way to get some lore going.

Hmm, or if they find a way to get some event maps going, where the event battle tells part of the story.

I'd just really like to see some of the story finally come through in the game. There was some amazing writing, and the game was really atmospheric. Just some way to get some lore going for the franchise.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
This discussion has been closed.