As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: Patch 1.3 on SEA! Notes on Page 93 (too long for OP)

SeguerSeguer of the VoidSydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
starcraft-2-logo.jpg

teamliquidjacewallaceidra.jpg

Want more?
Artwork provided by forum member Wakkawa. Visit his site and buy some amazing work at inexpensive prices. Commissions available!

The Starcraft II discussion thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbAT1wzS8U

MNC Dover and the SC2 thread people proudly present:

The Weekly Forum Challenge!
-What the hell is the Weekly Forum Challenge (WFC)?

The WFC is a new idea I came up with that will pit one forum member against everyone else in the forum. Basically, you apply to be in the WFC and when your name is called, you take on everyone else in the forum.

-Huh? Why would I want to do that?

Because it's fun, keeps the forum more interactive, and allows you to improve your game by playing a lot of different playstyles.

-OK, who do I play against?

Everyone. It doesn't matter if your Bronze or Master, these games are no ranks barred. Yeah, if you're a Bronze level player you'll probably get splattered, but you will be learning something and have a set of replays from which to study. You could use this opportunity to practice a single build and see how it fares against several other types of builds. Either way, it will be a good learning experience and fun!

-Sounds interesting....what are the rules?

If your name is called, you will take all invites from Sunday to Saturday that week. Opponents can challenge you via forum posts, PM's, or on B.Net. You must try your best to take on every challenge, so be prepared to spend a few hours on b.net during your week.

-I'm only a Bronze leaguer. I'll get squashed so I don't want to enter.

Hold on there a minute, I'm not done yet. Any WFC entrant can request a live-coach regardless of their rank. Yes, any rank. The coach may only give advice during play in ally chat to you and you cannot ask questions. The coach also cannot tell you what the enemy is doing or steer your build to screw over the enemy. Only tips like, watching your supply counts, build more structures, drone up, scout, expo, spend money, etc. The coach can be anyone the WFC wants and can change from game to game. You can talk with your coach before and after games to discuss strats, build orders, and the like.

-Awesome! I think I want to participate. How do I enter?

PM a message to me with "WFC" as the title and the following information:

-Forum name
-B.Net ID with 3 digit code
-Race played (please only use one to reduce headaches)
-Rank
-Do you want a coach?
-Timezone (easy conversions for us lazy Americans please)
-At least three different weeks you want to apply for with your most favorable choice first (example: 03/20-03/26, 03/27- 04/05, and 04/13-04/19)
-Your choice of how you want to play matches, either bo1 or bo3

-Great, I sent out the information and got accepted. Now what?

Now you have to openly accept challenges from the forum. Post the time or times you will make yourself available for matches. Other people can set-up appointments for matches or play however you choose. If you only want to accept appointments great, if not, you can do a first come, first pwned set-up.

-What maps do we play on?

For bo1's, the WFC player gets to choose the map. Sorry folks, that's the advantage of manning up and taking on all comers. For bo3's, the first game is on Shakura's Plateau with the loser choosing the next map from the official Blizzard Ladder pool. Yes this means the maps may change over time. We'll manage.

-What happens when my week is over?

You gather up all your replays, name them "WFC vs (insert enemy name), add them to gamereplays.org (info found in the OP), and then post EVERY SINGLE GAME into a single spoilered post. The thread creator will add your games into the OP and they'll stay there until the next person's turn is over.

-When does all this begin?

How does this Sunday sound? I'm taking applications now!

-I had an emergency mid-week! What do I do?

No biggie, we all understand that real life stuff happens. Let everyone know and I'll do my best to find someone to fill in the spot. No problem at all.

-Anything else?

Glad you asked. I really think this can be fun, especially if we have some of our more charismatic people bring some light-hearted, jaw-jacking to the table. I'd also really like it if some of the lower ranked players step up and give this a go. In reality, it's no different then playing against PA people anyway, but now it will have more of a focus. You can have a target on your back which might change the way you play by adding or removing pressure.

ABOVE ALL, I just want everyone to have fun and play more SC2. :D

So, who's in?

WFC #1

Our very first WFC player will be mEEksa! Here's his info:

B.net id: mEEks.331
Race: Random
Coaching: No thanks.
Time Zone: EST
Match format: Bo3

Enjoy your St. Patrick's Day weekend people, but be prepared to raise hell and throw down hard come Sunday. PM, post, or b.net message mEEks to set up times!

Join in on weekly tournament fun. Two tournaments available, one for lower leagues and one for the higher leagues.

logotitle.png

Replay of the day!

A new feature where the thread creator will grab a random replay posted in the thread and feature it here on the front page. Make sure to upload your replay submissions to submit your replay using gamereplays.org.

repimg-33-197076.jpg

Start here to better craft some stars.
The SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff (usually brought to you by the letter S and the number 86). In order to keep up, I highly recommend you bookmark the following sites:

The Day[9] Daily Live Stream. Sean "Day9" Plott is an 11 year Starcraft veteran, so he knows his shit. He does a live stream Sunday through Thursday that airs 7pm PST/10pm EST. If you miss a stream, you can watch it, and every other streams he's ever done, in his archives. BOOKMARK HIS SITES! You will not be disappointed.

State of the Game A weekly podcast hosted by Day[9], JP, Tyler, and inControl. If you don't know who these people are, you clearly aren't watching enough SC2 tournament stuff. Just bookmark the damn site and listen to it on the go.

HD Starcraft. Good site for beginners to learn from and watch higher end players as well. Being Youtube videos, you can fast forward and rewind to help learn strategies and build orders.

HuskyStarcraft. The brother site of HD Starcraft. Another good site for watching videos of foreign tournaments and for general learning by watching pros.

Gretorp's live stream. A high level Terran player who has amassed quite a following.

Team Liquid. Team Liquid is the biggest Starcraft related fan site out on the Internet today. They follow everything Starcraft related including the pro scene. Many great articles, forums, and information can be found here. A must bookmark for any Starcraft fan.

Starcraft II Liquipedia. Team Liquid has created a wikipedia site for everything SC2 related. This will be updated as time goes on and all information found here should be legit as possible.

Team Liquid Tournament Tracker. Want to play in some SC2 tournaments? Bookmark this link to see what's running now and upcoming in the future.

GOM TV.net. The only officially Blizzard backed tournament spot in Korea. Has a dedicated pair of English casters in the form of Artosis and Nick "Tastless" Plott, Day[9]'s older brother. Great high-end play to be found here. No really, watch this if you've never seen how insane the Korean's take to SC2.

Zerg help with pro player Eg.Machine. Here are three videos featuring opening builds and other great information when playing as Zerg. Each video is an hour long and will help you go a long way at improving your Zerg gameplay. Help with ZvP here, ZvT here, and ZvZ here.

Common timings and when they hit. Exactly what it sounds like.

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people. Easy, follow these 5 simple steps.
1) Start by joining the master PA friend list. DO THIS FIRST. It also doesn't hurt to add your battle.net ID into your signature. If you can't do either of these, then we don't want to be your friend.

2) Bookmark the PA SC2 master list. This will help you find other players without begging in thread for other players to play against. It will also help you find other players to help practice with that are in your skill range. If you use the "view" -> "list view" options found at the top, you can reorganize the list to help you find what you need. On the list view page, you can click on the pull down tabs to look at just players of a certain race or rank. Whatever you want. Use this resource!

3) Sign up to gamereplays.org. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. The site also gives you an awesome image when you link it to the forum making it stand out more.

4) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA.

5) The PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand in the standings amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

A list of other PA related SC2 stuff.
Help guides for new players painstakingly created by fellow forum goers. Please read these first before asking questions.

Livestream for our friend Exoplasm. Good quality. Watch it.

Livestream for our friend Trus. Beware of loud music. :D

Livestream for our friend Ash. Broadcasting the SC2 Arcadia tournaments.

Livestream for our friend Seguer. Broadcasting the PA SC2 tournaments, usually Curvy Star League (CSL). Beware of Anime/JPOP/KPOP music!

PA SC2 Steam Group. A great place to meet up with other PA forum people and set up games, talk strats, or just bullshit around. This is the most common place for us all to meet before big tournaments and stuff. Very useful!

Seguer on

• Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys recommended grubby but so far he isn't doing anything. :(

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Team Liquid's Streamlist - If you're looking for a specific race/skill stream to watch or just want something interesting, this is always an awesome stream list.

SCCalendar - An awesome tool for keeping track of when tourneys/showmatches events are coming up. Windows program, runs in your tray, also keeps watch on streams and VODs. Pretty cool program.

JAEF on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys recommended grubby but so far he isn't doing anything. :(

In our defense it's better when he does something.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Streaming laddering, 1v1 or 2v2 (with Lazerz)!

http://www.own3d.tv/live/9632

Seguer on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seguer is a butt.

Dhalphir on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So it's 2 hours until the day9/husky panel and there's already a line of over 100 people waiting. Geeeeez. In typing this, it just doubled.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My spring break resolution is to relearn Starcraft, I am looking forward to a glorious week of Day 9 streaming and if I stop totally sucking maybe some laddering!

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    teamliquidjacewallaceidra.jpg

What on
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's in the damn OP, Duld.

Seguer on
    edited March 2011
    No unicorns in the op. You have failed seguer.3

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    you boost nexus on 11, not on 10, once the pylon is done.

i assume that was what you meant though.
    You can often fit it in before the 10th Probe finishes.

unless your 10th probe beginning is delayed somehow, there will always be at least a couple seconds of supply blocked time and chronoing the 10th probe is a waste of some chrono time.
    I'm fairly sure it depends on things like if you're walling, if you're pairing Probes up on close patches, where you place your first Pylon, etc. Possibly even if you 9 scout. It's only a second or two of the 10th Probe that can be Chrono'd, so it's not a big deal.

His Corkiness on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One hours too late. Ah well. Seg, make sure to keep the RotD going.

And yes MMMig, there certainly are unicorns in the OP.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I see them now. Travesty averted! ^_^'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So has anyone else done the TSL3 brackets prediction contest thing?
    I did mine pretty quickly, just going with players I like:
    Winner: Jinro
    2nd: Tyler
    3rd: MVP

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/User:Streltsy/TSL3Bracket

I really think Jinro and Tyler are going to bring us some of the most entertaining games just because they are so methodical in their planning and preparation when they need to be. So that's why I picked them, not necessarily because they are the strongest.

Feels like every match is hard to pick since I like a lot of the players, would be just as happy to see boxer, idra, ret, or nada doing well.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tyler will beat Jinro.
    He manhandled him in their showmatch.

Dhalphir on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Duld is such a blue dot whore.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Tyler is the reason I play protoss, what a boss.

Fizban140 on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tyler seems to be putting in the practice for tsl3

whether it's enough to beat nada? nope ;D

peacekeeper on
    edited March 2011
    i dont know why you guys keep fapping over NaDa.

he's not a god terran by a long shot

Dhalphir on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is the PAX live-cast being streamed anywhere?

romanqwerty on
  • Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are you saying Tyler is more accomplished than nada?

Is Tyler asian?

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think NaDa gets too much SC2 credit on the strength of his Brood War background.

Seems to make bad decisions and get stomped when he faces strong opponents.

Pretty much the same situation as BoxeR.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited March 2011
    Not exactly, Boxer is a legend but he isn't Nada.

Nada is one of most consistent bonjwas ever. That doesn't sound exciting, but when you consider that just about every other legend (boxer, oov, yellow, savior) eventually got to a point where they couldn't compete at top levels anymore then it becomes a lot more impressive.
    Similar situation with July, but not as much.

Is Nada the favourite in TSL3? Maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise anyone who knows his history if he won convincingly.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Where is Day 9 streaming tonight?

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
    edited March 2011
    Do you wanna know how boss day9 is? He high fived EVEryonE, literarily.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited March 2011
    Streltsy wrote: »
    Not exactly, Boxer is a legend but he isn't Nada.

Nada is one of most consistent bonjwas ever. That doesn't sound exciting, but when you consider that just about every other legend (boxer, oov, yellow, savior) eventually got to a point where they couldn't compete at top levels anymore then it becomes a lot more impressive.
    Similar situation with July, but not as much.

Is Nada the favourite in TSL3? Maybe not, but it wouldn't surprise anyone who knows his history if he won convincingly.

It also wouldn't surprise anyone who has been paying attention to his SC2 history to see him lose to TLO in the first round.

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    Defending Korean 4 Warpgate once you scout the probes being pulled off gas then exploiting your advantage for the win.

repimg-33-195491.jpg

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    He got knocked out by July 3-2 this season, who is now in the finals (who everyone also doubted as a guy coasting on his BW status). In GSL January, he similarly got knocked out by MKP in some very close games (who was already a GSL champion and went on to finals.

His SC2 history is that he's a very good (Ro8 GSL) player, if not a bonjwa like in BW, yet.
    edit: Did TLO make GSL Ro8 when he was in Korea? (I believe he was knocked out Ro64 or Ro32, if you want to talk about SC2 history.)

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like JulyZerg, he is a boss

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited March 2011
    I agree he's a good player, but its not going to be a roflstomp or certain victory over TLO for him the way some people are acting.

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    Been trying out some warp prism harass in some games.

I take back everything bad I ever said about warp prisms. They might not be as easy or fluid to get to as Terran drops, but they are much more powerful once you do get Charge on your zealots and a few weapon upgrades for them.

repimg-33-195492.jpg

Dhalphir on
    edited March 2011
    nada will beat tlo 2-0, and then play a bo3 of bo3s and win 2-0 in all of them

peacekeeper on
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I feel like a dog, marking my territory

PoolCue on
    edited March 2011
    PoolCue your opinion is wrong and here's why

peacekeeper on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't played SC2 since I had to wipe my hard drive, but I'm wanting to get back into it.

I own the digital-download version, but Blizzard's downloader is slow as fuck (even after disabling peer connection). Is there any other LEGAL way to get the installer a bit quicker, or is the official blizz downloader the only one?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To save everyone heartache and finger energy: I meant after the pylon pops.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited March 2011
    find someone who owns a dvd copy!

peacekeeper on
    edited March 2011
    PvP Colossus wars

Was a pretty good game. I thought he was trying to 4gate me because of all his saved chrono, but turns out he was just being shit and not spending it, because he went 3gate robo 1base colossus. Unfortunately for him, my first colossus was half done, while his robo bay was half done, AND I had sotpped to make an immortal first too, so I was able to safely expand and take my natural (you can take your natural when you're ahead on Colossi in PvP, no other time) and I was actually able to snipe his too.

Eventually the final battle was 9-10 colossi from me against 7-8 from him, I had 2/2 nearly 3/3 and he had 1/1 :(

The reason I post this? Super BM from him at the end and I Can't figure out why :( I didn't do anything particularly awful or even say all that much to him.

repimg-33-195499.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Been trying out some warp prism harass in some games.

I take back everything bad I ever said about warp prisms. They might not be as easy or fluid to get to as Terran drops, but they are much more powerful once you do get Charge on your zealots and a few weapon upgrades for them.

repimg-33-195492.jpg
    Are you watching these replays before posting them? You used the Warp Prism twice:

First time you warped in 2 Zealots and killed 1 Mule and 1 SCV. You were already ahead by 17 workers before this.

Second time you warped in 7 Zealots and killed 2 Reactors, a Starport and a couple of units. You were already ahead by 48(!) workers and 88(!) supply before this.

His Corkiness on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    replay of the day: if you can't expand at will using 6 sentries to hold me off forever it means I'm all in right?

repimg-33-195510.jpg

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg