As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Reach || Daily Challenge: Post in The New Thread, This One Is Done

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pretty doable.

DarkPrimus on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    really happy with the new maps, and holy crap highlands has a laser on it :o

Local H Jay on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, the Reach tournament at PAX was pretty unorganized. They wasted the first hour on practice (since it was done on the new maps and all), but didn't enforce the whole 5 minute sessions before letting another team try them out. Local and I managed to team up with two other guys, however, but we were only there because they were giving out a boatload of Defiant codes to everyone there, even spectators. We got them, played the first round, lost (although it was a bit on purpose since we didn't want to stay any longer), and made a hasty retreat from the MLG asshats.

The maps are all great. Condemned has a good number of features from Anchor 9 (which is my favorite Reach map alongside Breakpoint), Highlands feels very reminiscent of Valhalla, and Unearthed is a massive and hectic map for Firefight which we messed around with in Versus of 3 Spartans vs 1 Elite and had a blast. Definitely worth ten dollars, even better free.

Mx. Quill on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    So you can get the 3 new achievements in custom games. All you have to do is play a compatible gametype in matchmaking, then start a custom game with the gametype and map you just played, drawn from your temporary history. I accidentaly discovered this while trying to determine if returning the flag was possible in a 1 Flag CTF game (return time and reset time are both 30 seconds, I believe, and it is possible to return).

I wonder if the gametype scripting engine controls achievement awarding. IE, maybe after the maps come out the entire team will get credit for doing the flag returns instead of the singular person.

FyreWulff on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    So you can get the 3 new achievements in custom games. All you have to do is play a compatible gametype in matchmaking, then start a custom game with the gametype and map you just played, drawn from your temporary history. I accidentaly discovered this while trying to determine if returning the flag was possible in a 1 Flag CTF game (return time and reset time are both 30 seconds, I believe, and it is possible to return).

Hah, just came to post this.

Headline: Certain Affinity hiring qualified QA staff

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited March 2011
    Bungie would be the one responsible for that, actually.

Basically looks like they left the flag for "this is a valid matchmaking game for achievements" or whatever in the saved version of the gametype for testing and didn't remove it. Remember that Noble wasn't available until it came out, while this one was up on Live before it's actual release.

According to Hedgemony, not even the Bungie employees that play with HBO peeps have Defiant maps yet.

FyreWulff on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the heads up about the codes. I'll be watching Twitter in a few minutes.

NeuralFizz on
    edited March 2011
    FyreWulff on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Question: I've been out of the loop on online Halo stuff since shortly before Halo 3, only getting back in with Reach a few months ago. Will they be doing like they did with Halo 2 where when a new map pack is released the old one becomes free?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Argh, looks like they aren't giving codes out this hour, and haven't since last night.

NeuralFizz on
    edited March 2011
    Question: I've been out of the loop on online Halo stuff since shortly before Halo 3, only getting back in with Reach a few months ago. Will they be doing like they did with Halo 2 where when a new map pack is released the old one becomes free?

Nah. They haven't done that since the first pack for Halo 3, really.

For 3, Heroic eventually became free. Cold Storage was a Bungie Day freebie and has always been free. Legendary was slightly discounted near the end of Halo 3's life. Mythic has never been.

For Reach, Noble has no indication of dropping in price and neither has Defiant. You might find they appear in one of the regular sales that Live has but there's no way of predicting those.

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    Nice review. So compared to Noble (which I think is one of the best paid DLC packs) do you think this is better?

NeuralFizz on
    edited March 2011
    It's kind of hard to directly compare them since one has a Firefight map, but I'd say if you could only buy one.. I'd buy Noble.

It's definitely better than Legendary was for Halo 3. I'd say it's just a smidge under Noble. And that'd be entirely due to the poor Forge support that both of these maps have.

FyreWulff on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd like to chime in on these maps. Trash.

joshgotro on
    edited March 2011
    It's kind of hard to directly compare them since one has a Firefight map, but I'd say if you could only buy one.. I'd buy Noble.

It's definitely better than Legendary was for Halo 3. I'd say it's just a smidge under Noble. And that'd be entirely due to the poor Forge support that both of these maps have.

Does Highlands feel like Avalanche/Sidewinder? The Rooster Teeth guys mentioned it and if so it'll instantly be my favourite map.

Willeth on
    edited March 2011
    It's definitely better than Legendary was for Halo 3. .

That's all I needed to know! Then it'll be worth it to me. Hopefully I can snag one of these free codes, but if not I'll still buy it.

NeuralFizz on
    edited March 2011
    Willeth wrote: »

Does Highlands feel like Avalanche/Sidewinder? The Rooster Teeth guys mentioned it and if so it'll instantly be my favourite map.

in my mind it's like a wider valhalla with more paths and structures. the sidewinder reference is probably due to the side 'bases' with the teleporters but it lacks the distinct horse-shoe design of that map.
    i really like it because there's lots of natural rock caves and big structures, and it's a fun driving map with a dangerous open cliffside which will probably be the cause of much hilarity

Local H Jay on
    edited March 2011

in my mind it's like a wider valhalla with more paths and structures. the sidewinder reference is probably due to the side 'bases' with the teleporters but it lacks the distinct horse-shoe design of that map.
    i really like it because there's lots of natural rock caves and big structures, and it's a fun driving map with a dangerous open cliffside which will probably be the cause of much hilarity

You're awake! Check your DMs.

Willeth on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm holding out on DLC for Reach because I'm hoping they bundle everything up together for a discount sometime in the future. (Ala the Halo 3 Complete pack that came with ODST)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited March 2011
    BTB SNIPERS IS THE BEST WAY TO GET QUICK GAMES IN.

No it's not. Stupid lobby.

joshgotro on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I tend to go for Infection if I want to rack up some played games.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2011
    You know, I think the only Halo map pack I've ever paid for is Mythic 1.

Willeth on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

Historically, the 'win X games' challenges have only counted if you came in first place. Tie games in invasion/Objective, or second place finishes in Living Dead/Rumble Pit/Multi Team, haven't counted towards challenge completion. The quickest road to fifty wins may be Grifball this time around, with a side of SWAT for variety.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jesuits wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Historically, the 'win X games' challenges have only counted if you came in first place. Tie games in invasion/Objective, or second place finishes in Living Dead/Rumble Pit/Multi Team, haven't counted towards challenge completion. The quickest road to fifty wins may be Grifball this time around, with a side of SWAT for variety.

Oh, I just meant for 'complete X games'. For actually winning, I'm not sure where my patience will hold strongest.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2011
    You know, I think the only Halo map pack I've ever paid for is Mythic 1.

You could totally buy the pack for me. I do have a huge expense behind delivered shortly. :wink:

joshgotro on
    edited March 2011
    http://halo.bungie.org/misc/flash_pelican/

play for chance at Defiant, ends in ~2 hours

FyreWulff on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pretty much mastered level 1 but only got up to #42 on the list.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited March 2011
    Pretty much mastered level 1 but only got up to #42 on the list.

According to Wu, it counts vertical distance. Zigzag a lot.

Willeth on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I only have access to a tablet with no flash support for the next hour or so. Damn adobe!
    Ranced wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Ranced wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's done anyway. :(

You could have ventured to Boston for Pax East and got one there.

I was there briefly on Friday. Silent went around some panels while another friend and I checked out the seemingly underwhelming city of Boston!

Then don't come to portland, oregon expecting it to be awesome then either. Pax in seattle is really neat though.

I would have checked out more of pax east if all of us had passes. That wasn't the case so we just explored the city and some bars. Will probably go back with silent next year to see what all the fuss is about.

Ranced on
    edited March 2011
    Frankie wrote:
    You don't have to delete Noble to make Defiant work. The easiest and safest thing to do is to delete your Bungie Pro confirmation (it won't affect your Bungie Pro stuff, it's just a graphical receipt) and it should work. This ONLY affects folks who got the early codes and have Bungie Pro subscriptions. The normal map pack will go out at 2am PST without any such shenanigans.

If, for some reason you want to redownload in the wee small hours, your free code will still work.

Also, if for some reason you are trying to re-download Defiant, but you already downloaded it, you're going to have to wait until 2am PST, same as everyone else. Apologies to the folks caught in this brief, yet erotic interlude.

I think everyone who got Defiant early is going to have to redownload after the general release tommorow if they want to continue to play the maps with new downloaders.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    That means 5 am est. I love you bungie.

joshgotro on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    joshgotro wrote: »

Eh? That is the regular time new DLC/content comes out.

Ratsult2 on
    edited March 2011
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

I've gone through two map packs from other companies not making it out until early afternoon EST.

BOOM.

Activision was involved.

joshgotro on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

I've gone through two map packs from other companies not making it out until early afternoon EST.

BOOM.

Activision was involved.

And they were all scheduled to be out at 5am EST just like these maps. 5am EST is the earliest they could be out, but most live content doesn't go up till 5:30-6:00... if something goes wrong, then you are looking at a 2-6 hour delay (or more).

Ratsult2 on
    edited March 2011
    Playing some grifball, maybe infection for the next 45 mins or so if anyone wants to smack folk with me. Live tag is my name here.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Nevermind people are morons and I'm sick of them.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    i think my favorite thing about unearthed is just how fun it is to drive on. i drive reckless enough, but there's just the right amount of jumps and pathways for the hog to take that makes me go HOG-WILD *rimshot*
    i can't wait to see how it plays in matchmaking, and if any other vehicles show up besides that rockethog

Local H Jay on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just changed my political views on facebook to "Office of Naval Intelligence"

Guys, I'm so cool now

Snowblindvictim on
    edited March 2011
    The updated version of Defiant is up. It went from 423MB to 691MB for some reason.

fQjTDl.jpg

FyreWulff on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Map pack still isn't live and I need to get my ass to bed. *sigh*

Atleast it was a decent day of halo except when we got violated in noble map pack and invasion. Seriously, I hate those two playlists now.

Viscountalpha on