As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Train Alliance 2011 (PAXTrain East!) - Metal Gear Train SOLD OUT!

• Options
    blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DanUNG wrote: »
    Metal Gear: Which car is the "main" PAX car? It'll be good to know when I board in Springfield.

most people are 2 cars in front of the lounge area. just stop by the public car are you'll find everyone

blAAAm!!! on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Look for the girl with the PAX logo tattooed on her arm, that's a dead giveaway right there.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's a bunch of us in the lounge too. (On metal gear)

antherem on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish I could be on the train with you lot. Instead I'm stuck at work wondering what my next meal will be. Stupid lack of money . . . I expect lots of pictures.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, so us Southerners on the Metroid Line are sitting in Penn Station, waiting on 178 to Boston. ETA right after MIDNIGHT. Any other stragglers riding the late train?

reverend_tobias on
  • Options
    diecastbeatdowndiecastbeatdown Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Im at Penn Station waiting... in the "regular" waiting area, not the Acela.... wearing a brown hat no logo.

diecastbeatdown on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We're the three bros on laptops near the Acela "entrance."

reverend_tobias on
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sonic line was awesome! great meeting everyone!

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Delayed sonic bros are in the back lounge car playing Gamma World!

reverend_tobias on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So I'm on the reverse Metal Gear line on Monday, and I got a call from Amtrak saying there was some sort of disruption and alternate transportation would be involved. I've been on hold with them for approximately forever waiting to see what is going on - do any of you know?

ETA: There was apparently a track washout due to all the rain, and anyone on the Lake Shore Limited on Monday...well, I hope you like buses, because you'll be on one all the way to Albany.

antherem on
  • Options
    XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    antherem wrote: »
    ETA: There was apparently a track washout due to all the rain, and anyone on the Lake Shore Limited on Monday...well, I hope you like buses, because you'll be on one all the way to Albany.

A word of advice for Monday Metal Gear goers: Bring drinks with you. Last year they gave us one 12oz bottle of water for several hours of busing. The Albany station is pretty sweet though.

Xiryc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Xiryc wrote: »
    antherem wrote: »

A word of advice for Monday Metal Gear goers: Bring drinks with you. Last year they gave us one 12oz bottle of water for several hours of busing. The Albany station is pretty sweet though.

Guuuuuh. Sounds terrible. Yeah, Albany/Rensselaer is not a bad station though. But man, if I wanted to take a bus I would have taken a bus.

Anybody else taking the reverse Metal Gear on Monday? If so, where are you going?

antherem on
  • Options
    tigrerosatigrerosa Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Yes, I'll be heading back to Albany from Back Bay. Ugh. Bus. The reason I took the train is because I get bus sick. Boo.

tigrerosa on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow. That really sucks for you guys. You should ask for some sort of partial refund for being made to ride a bus.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going back on Monday towards Toledo. I hope my car is ok out there.

Guess I'll make sure everything is charged and bring drinks. Though I haven't gotten a call myself yet. Boarding in south station.

Dgeorge318 on
  • Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Reverse Metal Gear here as well (to Cleveland). Hopefully not too bad of a trip. I'll be on Twitter (@Durinthal) about it in the morning to see if there's any organizing happening. Use #paxtrain if you can.

Durinthal on
  • Options
    MrsSpookMrsSpook PAX OWNS UR FACE!!!! United States new member
    edited March 2011
    The grossly impolite customer service agent that I had to speak to (only after holding for 32 minutes) said "if you don't like it, you can cancel your trip and get your money back."

I'd like to point out, that this was before I went into bitch mode and started being rude as hell.

She started it.

MrsSpook on
  • Options
    Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Awesome. Btw, did you get a picture of your tattoo after Mike signed it?

Dgeorge318 on
  • Options
    BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any new info on metal gear line? i am on hold right now

BinarySamurai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Its funny there site makes no mention of this when checking the train status for tomorrow yet i got a voice mail saying i might have to get another mode of transport

BinarySamurai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Guess us metal heads are taking a 3 hour bus ride before we get to board the train.

BinarySamurai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, I've had worse. Thanks for letting us know at any rate.

Durinthal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    At least it is a direct bus to albany. Am sorely tempted to tell them where they can stick their bus and rent a car...but nah.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    At least I had a decent lady talk to me on the phone after an hour on hold. I had better still get dinner !

BinarySamurai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maybe it was just an isolated incident, but the Metroid line was kinda lame. We were several hours behind schedule and missed the Sonic line. Apart from one cool dude, our train was pretty devoid of any partying (probably due in part to everyone being fatigued from the trip). We only happened to meet a few other PAXers on the 178 we jumped on at Penn Station.

Overall, I wasn't pleased by my experience, and unless train tickets are significantly cheaper than plane tickets when I get around to start planning next year's trip, I'll probably be taking the latter.

reverend_tobias on
  • Options
    Shadow009Shadow009 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If anybody from the Metroid Line is traveling home by train today, I'm at Penn Station waiting for the 19 Crescent. I'll try to be in or around the cafe car.

Brown hair, glasses, big tan coat, silver Chronometer tshirt from fangamer, nonsensical number of games in my bag.

Shadow009 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Emergency backup reverse Metal Gear on the 283 to Niagara Falls, for anyone going to syr/roc/buf.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Whats with the Emergency reverse?

BinarySamurai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That was just for other stops in NY as they happened to have an earlier train for those locations. Erie or farther west is still stuck here until 7 (rumored). Come say hi, I'm near the windows in the blue OC ReMix hoodie (again).

Durinthal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wait were here till 7? i thought only till 5:30

BinarySamurai on
  • Options
    MrsSpookMrsSpook PAX OWNS UR FACE!!!! United States new member
    edited March 2011
    I hate the large black woman with the fking attitude. If any of you can catch her name or see her nametag can you hit me up @AlectoSpook - Twitter Sarahking216@gmail.com - gmail (clearly)

N I got a few pics but if anyone has any others or knows of others plz send. Thnks.

MrsSpook on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    All in all, while the bus did sort of suck, the Amtrak folks at South Station and Albany seemed really friendly, organized, and helpful. So totally the opposite of the ones on the phone...

antherem on
  • Options
    xehnxehn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, the bus was cramped, but once we got to Albany it was ok. Lots of waiting, but free wifi so it was sort of a wash.

Overall I had a great time on the train. I met a lot of great people. We totally dominated the train on the way out, and had probably a full car's worth+ on the way back.

Hi to everyone we played games with in the snack car. It was like extending Pax a day out each way. I will definitely find a way to take the train next March, too.

I knew I had made the right choice when I was walking to my seat at one point on the way out, and the DS to Filled Seat ratio was very near 1:1 :)

xehn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The only part I found I didn't like during pax was the train station waits. Other than that I absolutely loved PAX. Can't wait to see all my friends next year. GO METAL GEAR!

BinarySamurai on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    xehn wrote: »
    It was like extending Pax a day out each way.

This is exactly what I was attempting to accomplish. Glad to see it worked.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    It was like extending Pax a day out each way.

Yes, that. On the way out the cafe/lounge car had an Agricola game, a Smallworld game, a Puerto Rico game, some Dominion, and some Magicka. It was definitely the place to be. A++, would ride again.

Apparently you can reserve the cafe car for private events, which we discovered when they kicked us all out.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It definitely did work out. It's a shame you had to miss the train, Moe, after all of the hard work you put into setting everything up. I totally understand not doing the Seattle->Boston run, however. I'm still planning on flying to Seattle in August, despite the good time I had on the train to Boston. ~23 hours each way is fun, but 40-50+ would probably be a bit much.

Thanks for taking the time to make it happen.

xehn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It definitely did work out. It's a shame you had to miss the train, Moe, after all of the hard work you put into setting everything up. I totally understand not doing the Seattle->Boston run, however. I'm still planning on flying to Seattle in August, despite the good time I had on the train to Boston. ~23 hours each way is fun, but 40-50+ would probably be a bit much.

Thanks for taking the time to make it happen.

Well for PAX Prime there is the Cross-Country Supertrip, which is a two-day endurance caravan across the United States. Three drivers per car, no stops longer than 2 hours, and a whole ton of ridiculous, sleep-deprived good times.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    The CCST always sounded like fun. A little trickier to play board games in the car. I drove to my first two Paxes (07 and 08), and decided that after gas and parking, unless I had 4+ people with me in the car, flying was similarly priced. (TSA though, gah!)

We may end up driving again this fall, have to see what happens.

xehn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Cost depends on the car and number of people, but the fun definitely outweighs the action of sitting on a plane.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.