As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Life [chat]les

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    season 2 was when they spent the entire time locked in that shed in the woods, right?

or was that the first season

That was season 1, in season 2 they are trying to prevent the US from going to war with middle east over bad intel, and it ran at the same time as the US starting iraq war part 2... Woops.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sometimes I dress up as a criminal and I carry a gun and when I threaten people and they get scared I laugh at them for being so lame and stupid unlike me ladies 8-)

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grrr, barista at the university center gave me coffee cool enough to comfortably gulp immediately. Now that I've walked back across campus to my friend's office it's fairly cold.

sadface

Bama on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    season 2 was when they spent the entire time locked in that shed in the woods, right?

I think that's the first season. I rewatched it again last year, and they didn't spend half as much time in there as it fucking felt like when I watched the original airing. Shows like 24 and Lost are so much better when you watch them on dvd rather than one episode per week.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wazilla wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Very often I intentionally phrase myself poorly or in an otherwise obfuscating manner that I know will make people draw the wrong conclusions about what I said.

so you troll, is what you are saying

Hey, it's not my fault many people are incapable of reading carefully.

Intentionally misrepresenting yourself and then acting superior when you're misinterpreted is a pretty good way to become held in such low regard as you currently find yourself.

This is... who would ever admit to this?

I always misrepresent myself intentionally and then act superior when I'm misinterpreted specifically because I like trolling people. But I only do this in person, not online. And also online.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SOMETIMES I TROLL PEOPLE AND WHEN THEY TAKE MY POSTS SERIOUSLY I TURN AROUND AND ZAP THEM WITH MY RAZOR SHARP WIT

And to this day, we still call it a "gooey"

"Oh man Daxon, that was a great gooey!"

That's what the kids say!

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

That was season 1, in season 2 they are trying to prevent the US from going to war with middle east over bad intel, and it ran at the same time as the US starting iraq war part 2... Woops.

huh. i dont remember that.

then again, i dont remember a lot of that show

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011
    Zampanov wrote: »

I think that's the first season. I rewatched it again last year, and they didn't spend half as much time in there as it fucking felt like when I watched the original airing. Shows like 24 and Lost are so much better when you watch them on dvd rather than one episode per week.

Yeah, it's the difference between stuck there for 2.25 hours or three weeks.

Drez on
    edited March 2011
    SOMETIMES I TROLL PEOPLE AND WHEN THEY TAKE MY POSTS SERIOUSLY I TURN AROUND AND ZAP THEM WITH MY RAZOR SHARP WIT

I'm gonna wash that gooey right out of my hair... :whistle:

Drez on
    edited March 2011
    Drez wrote: »

sorry my wit got all over you

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know what's frustrating but also hilarious and humbling?

Going from being the big fish in your small pond and absolutely wrecking everyone in debate

and moving up in the world

and interacting with people who are unquestionably smarter, more well read, and better at debate than you.
    You really need to make it to one of the D&D meetups; you'll never wash off the humility.

Isn't Canada like right across the street from Boston?
    I usually get really quiet when there's a legitimate debate going on at a DnD meetup.

Which I guess is a pretty good mirror for my behavior in the forum as well.
    Well one of us really made himself too scarce because outside of the dinner I barely got to talk to you. :(
    Man I know right? I was like "sweet, Bama's coming, I'm going to chat him up so hard" and then there was the dinner, where I wasn't at your table (but kept standing there anyway drinking my awesome drink) and after that nothing!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grrr, barista at the university center gave me coffee cool enough to comfortably gulp immediately. Now that I've walked back across campus to my friend's office it's fairly cold.

sadface

[whisper]The bait is out, we shouldn't have to wait long for a "1st World Problems" to swim by and chomp down on it..."

Caveman Paws on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yes, I suppose..

Daxon on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

that was just before the hiatus. S1 was pretty much the only one where it was actually planned and it neatly divided into two parts

the other ones? they were just making it up as they went along

nexuscrawler on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, it's the difference between stuck there for 2.25 hours or three weeks.

come to think of it this also applies really well to many comics vs graphic novels

especially with Bendis sometimes, jesus christ

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright, I'mma take out the trash, drop off my laundry, get a sandwhich, and possible some other errands.

Hope I don't fall into one of the hipster traps that are popping up all over NYC

hipstertrapwide.jpg

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2011

sadface

She did that so you could stay there and have intercourse with her.

Drez on
    edited March 2011
    Podly wrote: »
    Alright, I'mma take out the trash, drop off my laundry, get a sandwhich, and possible some other errands.

Hope I don't fall into one of the hipster traps that are popping up all over NYC

hipstertrap.jpg

That's pretty much the best picture I have ever seen.

edit: are those clove cigarettes?

wazilla on
    edited March 2011

ignore the crappy wow machinima

Bama on
    edited March 2011
    that hipster trap is awesome.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011

ignore the crappy wow machinima

Bahahahahahah.

Drez on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    am i effed

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    there is a cat on my neck

Elendil on
    edited March 2011
    all i remember from 24 was being glad the wife died in the first season

she was so god damn annoying

and it made jack much more grizzled

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011
    The hipster trap has to work though...

I mean... the hipster has to pretend to ironically fall for the trap, and, thinking the trap must itself be an ironic construct, clearly it would not be armed. As soon as the hipster takes hold of the PBR... *SNAP!*

One down.

wazilla on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i would just deny that I fell into a hipster trap and that I intentionally went into the trap ironically

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No, I suppose I'm not especially funny. I know this.

Guess it's not appreciated.

But I do try to choose my words very carefully, and it disappoints when people do not read them all. It's not like I write mammoth posts either, that require much effort to read.

Daxon on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That trap would be much more effective if it were placed near a bike rack. I do, however, applaud the effort.

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited March 2011

yes

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited March 2011
    Oh speaking of staying away from people at PAX, I've taken like three showers in the ~16hrs I've been back in AL and I'm wearing fresh clothes and it's so nice. I may burn the stuff I wore all weekend.

Bama on
    edited March 2011
    No, I suppose I'm not especially funny. I know this.

Guess it's not appreciated.

But I do try to choose my words very carefully, and it disappoints when people do not read them all. It's not like I write mammoth posts either, that require much effort to read.

Woolly Mammoths have been extinct for decades, silly goose.

Drez on
    edited March 2011
    am i effed

You might want to put your phone on vibrate and not answer any calls from blocked/unknown/866 numbers for a while.

wazilla on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've had girlfriends get mad at me for not arguing with them in an emotional manner. This is a thing that has really happened.

Some people feel it indicates a lack of passion for the relationship.

Incenjucar on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, and season 2 had one awesome moment with his daughter that while it didn't make up for her being menanced by a fucking cougar and a hill billy showed that jack was the best father.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the issue brought up in the Etsy thread is pretty interesting. "internet starup CEO madness" at it's finest.

And hopefully this will hit some of the young people close enough to home to actually start paying attention to what they post online.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Podly wrote: »

hipstertrap.jpg

That's pretty much the best picture I have ever seen.

American Spirits I believe, the hipster smoking brand of choice.

Dark_Side on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

They're AS

americanspirit.jpg

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    am i effed

You might want to put your phone on vibrate and not answer any calls from blocked/unknown/866 numbers for a while.

eff

this is stupid eff

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited March 2011
    am i effed

on the upside it sounds like you could use it as a sex toy pretty much any time you wanted

cause you're getting a lot of these calls, you see

Bama on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    I've had girlfriends get mad at me for not arguing with them in an emotional manner. This is a thing that has really happened.

The entire concept of "Standpoint Theory" in feminism is to basically make emotional argument superior to logical argument. The whole "logic oppresses women" thing. There's a whole school of thought in feminism that essentially has given up on logical discourse and now has to use histrionics and anecdotes to make points instead of actual logic and rhetoric.

That sounds idiotic.

Also very much like the arguing promoted by religious folks saying that logic has no place in discourse about religion, only scripture matters.

I would say that Pony's description is a mischaracterization.

Outside of formal logic and mathematics, the application of logic to argument requires some kind of empirical statement. IE, the statement "all bachelors are unmarried men" is interesting and relevant and meaningful only in that there are unmarried men in the world and there are things about unmarried men that we want to know about. Very little academic discourse involves strict formal logic without such appeals to experience. Standpoint theory isn't concerned with logic per se, but with experience. When standpoint feminists use the word "logic" they're not necessarily referring to logic as a formal discipline, but to the adoption or rejection of an idea as being "logical' due to its coherence with prior experience. In this sense, the word "logical" is just a synonym for "sensible" or "reasonable."

From this perspective, it's self-evident that some people will have more experience of a topic than others, and that some people will have learned more from their experiences of a topic than others. What standpoint theory says is that we can evaluate an idea from different experiential standpoints and that not all standpoints are strictly equal.

Standpoint theory is kind of a middle ground between classical scientific method, which seeks to eliminate the bias of the investigator as much as possible, and postmodern schools of thought which state (or imply) that all standpoints are equally correct.

It's really not a loony idea at all.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.